Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest mistake this season? 07:31 - Feb 26 with 6966 viewsDubtractor

For me I think failing to get a target man in the summer and making do with an unfit Keane as he was available..

Lambert was clearly after a target man, Elliot from Millwall was even in the door, and lacking that physical, direct option up front has cost us.

We are so easy to defend against when a team keeps their shape. We can't pass through teams, and every time we play a quick direct ball the opposition easily mop it up.

This isn't really meant as a dig at Keane, though I'm not a fan, more that he was the wrong player for what we needed.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 7:34]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Biggest mistake this season? on 07:53 - Feb 26 with 4222 viewstractorboy1978

And even more galling when the perfect player was available in Murphy - he was even put to Lambert in a couple of pre season interviews.
Biggest mistake this season? on 07:58 - Feb 26 with 4194 viewsBluefish

Calling it a free hit last season and ignoring the massive failings. It has always been the Emporer's new clothes with P45 Paul

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Biggest mistake this season? on 07:59 - Feb 26 with 4197 viewsChrisd

There's your Plan B right there. Now if we can all see it, why can't an experienced manager, that's played at the highest level and won the ECL not see it too?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 11:16]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:02 - Feb 26 with 4186 viewsHarry_Palmer

Biggest mistake this season? on 07:53 - Feb 26 by tractorboy1978

And even more galling when the perfect player was available in Murphy - he was even put to Lambert in a couple of pre season interviews.

"You canna keep going back, it's nae normal"

"What's Connor Wickham up to these days?"
Biggest mistake this season? on 08:10 - Feb 26 with 4143 viewsSteve_M

That. And then the excessive rotation - of formation as much as players - in November and December that turned a minor blip into a crisis.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:13 - Feb 26 with 4128 viewsBluefish

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:10 - Feb 26 by Steve_M

That. And then the excessive rotation - of formation as much as players - in November and December that turned a minor blip into a crisis.

I'm still staggered when people talk about the bad results as a blip. It has been the overriding theme in his time here. Our 4 in 22 is very similar to what he produced last season. The blip was getting good results while playing lots of lower teams at the start without even playing well or looking convincing

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:18 - Feb 26 with 4098 viewsRadlett_blue

2nd biggest error was in central defence. Wilson was signed as a cheap back up option, but became a regular when Lambert realised Toto was a liability & wanted to play 3 at the back.
Lambert admitted Town have a quiet squad and need a leader on the pitch & he realises we need to sign one.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:19 - Feb 26 with 4087 viewsr2d2

Very true. We badly need a target man. Someone who can head a ball(Keane seems incapable) and can hold the ball up. Keane was always the cheap option, waiting for him to reach fitness was ridiculous. Murphy was available at the time. We should have tried for him. We also need 1 if not 2 big brutes at centre back. You wont get out this league trying to play fancy football.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:19 - Feb 26 with 4081 viewsHerbivore

Giving Lambert a 5 year contract.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:20 - Feb 26 with 4079 viewsBigManBlue

Probably easier to ask what we've done right to be honest.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:27 - Feb 26 with 4055 viewsChrisd

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:19 - Feb 26 by r2d2

Very true. We badly need a target man. Someone who can head a ball(Keane seems incapable) and can hold the ball up. Keane was always the cheap option, waiting for him to reach fitness was ridiculous. Murphy was available at the time. We should have tried for him. We also need 1 if not 2 big brutes at centre back. You wont get out this league trying to play fancy football.

I believe you can R2D2, but as you say you need to sacrifice finesse in certain positions with brutes and we don't have those. I know I keep going on about him, but can you imagine if we had Posh's Mark Beevers at the back with Woolfenden? He'd be a huge influence as a dominant CB and a leader on the pitch.

Not sacking Lambert last season. (n/t) on 08:28 - Feb 26 with 4045 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:43 - Feb 26 with 3997 viewsr2d2

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:27 - Feb 26 by Chrisd

I believe you can R2D2, but as you say you need to sacrifice finesse in certain positions with brutes and we don't have those. I know I keep going on about him, but can you imagine if we had Posh's Mark Beevers at the back with Woolfenden? He'd be a huge influence as a dominant CB and a leader on the pitch.

Yes, the ideal foil for Wolfy. We need a few brutes to stamp their mark on a game. Then maybe, we could play some football?
Biggest mistake this season? on 08:47 - Feb 26 with 3977 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thinking the club was in a better state than it is.

Too many high-earning underperformers, large bloated squad with too many duds and walking wounded always made this season an accident waiting to happen - and so it has proved..

Not getting rid of Judge was a huge mistake.... but you cant blame the manager for not getting in players that can't be bought on the budget - nor for failing to unseat cosey players from huge contracts - as Bart showed that is ruinously expensive - and takes time.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:16 - Feb 26 with 3920 viewsChateauWines

We started full of confidence and on the front foot and threatened to cake walk it to the title. Biggest mistake? Easy I've said it before it was the arrogant team holding hand celebration at Gillingham. They thought (and so did we) we were crusing. WAY TOO COCKY

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:20 - Feb 26 with 3911 viewsSomethingBlue

Biggest mistake this season? on 07:53 - Feb 26 by tractorboy1978

Definitely agree about the target man but I see a lot of assumptions on this board that Murphy would have wanted to come back.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:27 - Feb 26 with 3883 viewsChrisd

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:16 - Feb 26 by ChateauWines

We started full of confidence and on the front foot and threatened to cake walk it to the title. Biggest mistake? Easy I've said it before it was the arrogant team holding hand celebration at Gillingham. They thought (and so did we) we were crusing. WAY TOO COCKY

The term 'cocky' sums up PL's rotation nonsense too. Far too over-confident believing the the opposition was sub-standard and that our players were better than they really were.

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:30 - Feb 26 with 3857 viewsSitfcB

Not. Signing. Daryl. Murphy.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:34 - Feb 26 with 3831 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Undoubtedly the rotational policy, in addition to International breaks.

Really halted momentum we built at the start of the season.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:36 - Feb 26 with 3828 viewsParisBlue

Biggest mistake this season? on 08:10 - Feb 26 by Steve_M

This. Absolutely no need to rotate the squad except for the EFL games.

The whole "Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday" is a myth once you factor in the international breaks and getting knocked out of the cups early.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

That was last season's mistake on 09:47 - Feb 26 with 3798 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not sacking Lambert last season. (n/t) on 08:28 - Feb 26 by BlueBadger

Shirley

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:49 - Feb 26 with 3793 viewsSwansea_Blue

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:36 - Feb 26 by ParisBlue

This. Absolutely no need to rotate the squad except for the EFL games.

The whole "Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday" is a myth once you factor in the international breaks and getting knocked out of the cups early.

Miught be a bigger issue that people realise when you consider our OAPs and a number of players coming back from long term injuries.

But yeah, it did seem a bit unecessary at times.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:54 - Feb 26 with 3775 viewsitfcjoe

Doing your transfer business to set the squad up to play 433/4231 and then basically playing 442 or 352 all season.

We had 2 strikers fit for the first 3 months of the season, and 3 senior CBs in the squad until january - that we've ended up playing shapes that don't fit th squad is beyond me.

Recruitment looked decent on paper (and still is) but it's not been matched by what we've tried to stick out on the pitch.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:58 - Feb 26 with 3756 viewsBlueBadger

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:20 - Feb 26 by SomethingBlue

Definitely agree about the target man but I see a lot of assumptions on this board that Murphy would have wanted to come back.

He's played under rubbish managers at ITFC before, another one wouldn't hurt.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Biggest mistake this season? on 09:59 - Feb 26 with 3755 viewsSouperJim

Not giving Lambert the boot in January and bringing Warnock in until the end of the season (I'm reliably informed there was something in the speculation), then giving Lambert a new 5 year deal instead. Utter madness.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024