Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unforeseen upsides of CV 10:18 - Mar 20 with 6191 viewsbluelagos

I reckon there must be quite a few, not to downplay the downsides. What are the genuine plus points of the current crisis?

1. Many parents will get to appreciate / better understand the difficulties of motivating and engaging kids in learning. So a likely increase in how society sees/values those who work in education.

2. Engaging with the outdoors. Suspect many stuck at home will soon be going stir crazy. Walks, cycles and other outdoor activities may be the only way to get fresh air, exercise in the coming weeks.

3. Engaging with the neighbours. This is already happening, apparently I was the 4th person to offer a shopping run to an elderly neighbour the other day.

Edited for those too lazy to read the thread :-)

4. Reduced smog / pollution from lower traffic volumes.

5. Increased homeworking as people are forced to do it / learn how to do it.

6. Appreciation of supply chains and their fragility.

7. Mr and Mrs Swansea_Blue get to go on a run :-)

8. World peace and Trump gets kicked into touch

9. Dav_blue sees more of his kids...

Must be loads more?
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 15:15]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:56 - Mar 20 with 2506 viewsSharkey

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:56 - Mar 20 by monytowbray

My left wrist muscles are getting stronger.

Capitalism is fully exposed for the disastrously fragile and out of control system it is.

People are waking up to the fact maybe the super rich are actually for the most part complete pricks.

I think on point 2, there will be some airbnb landlords learning this very quickly.
Unforeseen upsides of CV on 20:57 - Mar 21 with 2455 viewsRyorry

Sat night off for Phil & Gav!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 21:00 - Mar 21 with 2451 viewsSwansea_Blue

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 20:57 - Mar 21 by Ryorry

Sat night off for Phil & Gav!

Mullet’s keyboard is getting a rest too!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 21:11 - Mar 21 with 2428 viewsmonytowbray

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:56 - Mar 20 by Sharkey

I think on point 2, there will be some airbnb landlords learning this very quickly.

Well mine in New York for June hasn’t replied to my friendly email requesting a refund yet.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 23:32 - Mar 21 with 2388 viewstextbackup

up and down side for me this one

- wife is now doing her HIT classes at home, sweat, ttight leggings, squats etc.... upside

- battling a constant boner..... downside

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 00:36 - Mar 22 with 2362 viewsDoctor_Earman

Slow and annoying old people are off the streets.
Unforeseen upsides of CV on 01:03 - Mar 22 with 2345 viewsClapham_Junction

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:56 - Mar 20 by Sharkey

I'm very much looking forward to a few months of quiet from the illegal airbnb flat below mine.

The leaseholder was reported to the ALMO that runs the estate nearly a year ago, but nothing has happened yet. I also reported the people that let it for them to Airbnb as they were creating a new ad every few months (once they reached their 90 day limit) but unsurprisingly they didn't want to know (they initially tried to claim it was impossible, and then went quiet after I sent links to the current and taken down ads).
Unforeseen upsides of CV on 06:56 - Mar 22 with 2293 viewsbrogansnose

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:08 - Mar 20 by Superblue95

Commute to work is much shorter as so many people are at home. Also improves my mood as I don’t have to shout at numerous stupid drivers or sit in any soul crushing traffic jams

My drive in and out of Cambridge is now a breeze instead of the grind that its been for years. I do physical work so need to actually be out of the house but it does beg the question why we haven't as a society changed what has now been shown up to be an out moded way of working, for many, both for the environment and our personal lives.
Login to get fewer ads

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:03 - Mar 22 with 2223 viewsbluelagos

I think those calling for the removal of the licence fee will be shown to be on the wrong side here. The Bbc is acting (rightly too) as a messenger for the govt on many aspects of the crisis. They will surely be well treated on the back of this.

And the level of Nhs funding will surely come under more scrutiny once the dust settles. We seem to have fewer acute beds (per capita) than Germany and less than we had years ago. Suspect this will be addressed and changed.

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:29 - Mar 22 with 2197 viewsElephantintheRoom

People might begin to appreciate what taxes are for - and stop voting conservative

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:33 - Mar 22 with 2197 viewsjeera

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:29 - Mar 22 by ElephantintheRoom

People might begin to appreciate what taxes are for - and stop voting conservative

F*ck. This is the second of your posts within the past hour I want to upvote.

Can't you just go back and vet a few of your others; a bit of editing here and there, that kinda thing?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:35 - Mar 22 with 2193 viewsEdwardStone

If I was the boss of a big pension company, I might not be too heartbroken when a significant number of my long-lived pensioners die
Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:40 - Mar 22 with 2179 viewsbluelagos

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:35 - Mar 22 by EdwardStone

If I was the boss of a big pension company, I might not be too heartbroken when a significant number of my long-lived pensioners die

You are Domonic Cummings and i claim my £5

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 19:35 - Mar 22 with 2137 viewsKropotkin123

Ipswich seem to be consistently avoiding losses now

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 21:04 - Mar 22 with 2113 viewsEdwardStone

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 18:40 - Mar 22 by bluelagos

You are Domonic Cummings and i claim my £5

This £5.... index linked, gold plated and delivered repeatedly into the never-ending future?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:53 - Mar 23 with 2029 viewsLord_Lucan

I get to see Boris every day.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 14:29 - Mar 23 with 1976 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52000173

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 16:01 - Mar 23 with 1950 viewsGeoffSentence

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:36 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

People actually using Emergency Departments for actual emergencies.

I would guess that there will be a lot fewer pissed up at the weekend type of admittances whilst this is going on.

But on the other hand, with so many people being cooped up together I wouldnt be surprised if there was an upswing in domestic violence soon.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 07:05 - Mar 25 with 1893 viewsbluelagos

As posted on FB - unverfied - but whoever wrote it makes some good points.

-------------------

*From Bill Gates*

What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us?

I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.

As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us:

1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should too. If you don’t believe me,
just ask Tom Hanks.

2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another. It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport. It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.

3) It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals upon chemicals. If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.

4) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick. Our purpose is not to buy toilet roll.

5) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine) as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.

6) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this. It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and strengthen our family.

7) It is reminding us that our true work is not always our job, that is what we do. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.

8. It is reminding us to keep our egos in check. It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.

9) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands. We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after
only our self. Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colors.

10) It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic. We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.

11) It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning. This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.

12) It is reminding us that this Earth is sick. It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are sick because our home is sick.

13) It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease. Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.

14) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a *great corrector* It reminds us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them or not

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 08:27 - Mar 25 with 1865 viewsDanTheMan

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:54 - Mar 20 by Swansea_Blue

Bizarrely, I'm getting to know colleagues through Zoom who I wouldn't normally speak to, and it's making life a lot easier. Putting faces to names and building better relationships. Problems that would have sat in email inboxes for days are now being sorted in real time. It's been a bit of a revelation so far (not news to people who use video meeting regularly I'm sure, but we were still 95% email and 5% face to face meetings that took days to coordinate, via more emails!).

When we get back I'm tempted to kick emails for routine queries and say I'm only available on Zoom during set times. Think it's be a life saver in dealing with email overload.

I'm surprised people haven't started moving over to Slack yet.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 08:31 - Mar 25 with 1857 viewsDanTheMan

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 07:05 - Mar 25 by bluelagos

As posted on FB - unverfied - but whoever wrote it makes some good points.

-------------------

*From Bill Gates*

What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us?

I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.

As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us:

1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should too. If you don’t believe me,
just ask Tom Hanks.

2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another. It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport. It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.

3) It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals upon chemicals. If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.

4) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick. Our purpose is not to buy toilet roll.

5) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine) as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.

6) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this. It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and strengthen our family.

7) It is reminding us that our true work is not always our job, that is what we do. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.

8. It is reminding us to keep our egos in check. It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.

9) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands. We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after
only our self. Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colors.

10) It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic. We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.

11) It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning. This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.

12) It is reminding us that this Earth is sick. It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are sick because our home is sick.

13) It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease. Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.

14) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a *great corrector* It reminds us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them or not

Nice words, but I can't find any source that Bill Gates wrote them. However, he was a huge proponent of Governments preparing for Pandemics as a matter of urgency.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready?language=

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 14:09 - Mar 25 with 1808 viewsRyorry

Fewer hedgehogs that are emerging from hibernation getting squished on the roads!

I think teachers may be getting a payrise when this is all over, going on the alternately grumbling & pleading parents seeking help I'm seeing all around!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 14:13 - Mar 25 with 1806 viewsLord_Lucan

I emerge from the apocolypse with a brand new head of hair and accompanying demi wave and haven't had to endure people seeing me in the "Inbetween" stage.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024