Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a good day for the Government in the media 10:16 - Apr 2 with 8263 viewsitfcjoe

Seems almost every front page has turned on them

They are in a mess with all this testing, or lack of testing - and not communicating a clear message now. The lockdown was probably too late, and now the death toll is rising whilst 'Stay at home, stay safe' is still the only message

WHO have been saying Test, Test, Test - 2.5 weeks ago we said we wouldn't be testing - and now we need to start testing we are way behind the rest of the world in sourcing anything.

Boris wanted to come out of this looking like Churchill, he won't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:44 - Apr 2 with 1005 viewsBlueBadger

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 11:47 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

My Great Grandad was at Dunkirk. died just before I was born. He used to joke they gave him a medal for running away and he was the best runner away of them all. He was already a vet for volunteering to fight for the commies in the Spanish War too so I'm sad I never got to meet him and hear his stories first hand.

But he also had some bad PTSD from what he saw at Dunkirk too apparently.

If you've never read Milligan's war diaries Callis, I heartily recommend them. Some of the humour has, it's fair to say, aged badly but his account of his experiences with what we'd probably now call PTSD are extremely moving.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:47 - Apr 2 with 993 viewsLord_Lucan

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:44 - Apr 2 by BlueBadger

If you've never read Milligan's war diaries Callis, I heartily recommend them. Some of the humour has, it's fair to say, aged badly but his account of his experiences with what we'd probably now call PTSD are extremely moving.

I have it on audiobook and I have to say I found it a difficult listen and gave up, mind you if I'm honest I just never got the bloke, I tried but never worked for me.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:51 - Apr 2 with 966 viewsportmanking

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:36 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

Your deflection tactic that is desperate to dismiss maybe I had a point in recent weeks is really starting to make you look desperate.

Please tell me where i have lied? I'm just a citizen concerned about the situation we are in, the 10 years the nation voted for that led us here and the potential lives lost.

But if making up your own narrative makes you feel better, please feel free.

The 10 years the nation voted for led us here?! (Yet more political gumpf, may I add)

I think you'll find COVID-19 led us here....

And I believe it is YOU that makes up your own narrative as a coping mechanism, not anyone else.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 13:53]
Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:52 - Apr 2 with 966 viewsmonytowbray

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:44 - Apr 2 by BlueBadger

Will get an order in on that. I'm half way through Damien Echols' autobiography right now so that can be my next read!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:53 - Apr 2 with 962 viewsmonytowbray

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:51 - Apr 2 by portmanking

The 10 years the nation voted for led us here?! (Yet more political gumpf, may I add)

And I believe it is YOU that makes up your own narrative as a coping mechanism, not anyone else.

Cognitive dissonance is real.

As for your edit, it's odd there's a thread here full of people saying the same stuff I have been for weeks. You may not like the way I make my point but if you're struggling to take what I say at face value that says more about you.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 13:54]

TWTD never forgets…

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:03 - Apr 2 with 921 viewsMullet

That's not quite accurate is it? The response is the issue and even Jeremy Hunt himself has expressed regret about his part in weakening the NHS with regards to training and staff at least.

We were told austerity was absolutely essential, if anything COVID-19 has made that lie writ large in front of us all and people are still turning a blind eye or trying to interpret it in some more guilt-washing way.

Let alone the perception of the "low-skilled" and other rhetoric used by this government literally days before their change of course and contradictory delivery of words and actions.

It's impossible to pretend they and us weren't warned about a lot of it, or that anyone is expecting them to just magic away a global pandemic either. People need to be more nuanced before even beginning to debate the rights and wrongs.

However, the fact that Boris still did not follow his own advice and then self-isolated as many negative stories came out doesn't play well or look to be mere unavoidable coincidence.

When the new boy comes out of this as the most credible member of the government (depending on who you talk to) that's a sign for concern isn't it? When we've seen 4 doctors die (all of BAME background and one coming out of retirement,) you can't simply dismiss the context of these Tory years and the Windrush scandal, Brexit nationalism and the ton of stuff further down the path that sees people scared and dying like this can you?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:04 - Apr 2 with 920 viewsEdwardStone

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:11 - Apr 2 by factual_blue

An invasion depended on controlling the channel. General Ironside's stop line defences would have slowed the invasion forces, enabling the fleet to sail down from Scapa Flow and control the Channel, cutting off the troops already in England.

Then the Canadians would have arrived. The Germans feared the Canadians even more than they did the Scots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sea_Lion_(wargame)

http://mr-home.staff.shef.ac.uk/hobbies/seelowe.txt

Very true about the Royal Navy

I suppose one might say that the RAF prevented the invasion from happening by denying air superiority, the Navy would have guaranteed invasion's failure by hampering the event and then cutting off any resupply and reinforcement

Very ably covered by Derek Robinson (he wrote Hornet Squadron, a fictional and bitter account of flying in the First War) in his book Invasion 1940. How I regret giving away my copy

*edited, minor textual amendment*

www.amazon.co.uk/Invasion-1940-Battle-Britain-Hitler/dp/1845294416

I shall re-order today
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 14:36]
Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:11 - Apr 2 with 900 viewsNo9

It isn't 'political gumpf' is it?

Starving the NHS of cash and not stockpiling critical equipment / materials was a political choice as part of the austerity programme enforced upon the poorer people in society.

The people voted for austerity & whatever resulted from it
Login to get fewer ads

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:16 - Apr 2 with 892 viewsmonytowbray

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:11 - Apr 2 by No9

It isn't 'political gumpf' is it?

Starving the NHS of cash and not stockpiling critical equipment / materials was a political choice as part of the austerity programme enforced upon the poorer people in society.

The people voted for austerity & whatever resulted from it

Ignore him. He’s just jumped onto Glasser’s swerve tactic early on but sadly lacks the ability to at least think critically like Glassers does.

TWTD never forgets…

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:34 - Apr 2 with 864 viewsPinewoodblue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:47 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

I have it on audiobook and I have to say I found it a difficult listen and gave up, mind you if I'm honest I just never got the bloke, I tried but never worked for me.

To probably misquote from Puckoon .... caw said the crow, balls said Milligan

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:42 - Apr 2 with 843 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:16 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

Ignore him. He’s just jumped onto Glasser’s swerve tactic early on but sadly lacks the ability to at least think critically like Glassers does.

Getting fed up with this constant sniping now Callis. I’ve swerved nothing. I’m happy to no longer reply to your posts but if you are going to continue lying about what I said and sniping form your bunker then I’m going to continue to call you out as a political opportunist who has disgracefully used this crisis to score pints in a daily basis.

Pack it in now.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:52 - Apr 2 with 827 viewsmonytowbray

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 14:42 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

Getting fed up with this constant sniping now Callis. I’ve swerved nothing. I’m happy to no longer reply to your posts but if you are going to continue lying about what I said and sniping form your bunker then I’m going to continue to call you out as a political opportunist who has disgracefully used this crisis to score pints in a daily basis.

Pack it in now.

The problem started when you instantly went all guns blazing with that angle to dismiss anything I said with your "PPS" remark. To a lot of stuff that has since become an actual problem.

TWTD never forgets…

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 15:50 - Apr 2 with 770 viewseireblue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:24 - Apr 2 by BloomBlue

But that's the problem put 10 scientists in a room and the only result you can guarantee is all 10 will never agree on everything.
The issue on here is all people do is post a link from another scientist as 'fact' but you'll always get scientists who disagree often using hindsight in their evidence and then the OP will say scientist A is useless because scientist B disagrees.

That’s the quote about economists.

The scientific method involves careful observation, applying rigorous skepticism, and then testing with controls.

The issue you have is lack of data, and political decision making based on potential bias, and imperfect knowledge.

The politicians are making decisions.

Most of the criticism seems to be based on the UK doing things differently to other countries.
And not being clear on why certain decisions were made.
Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:10 - Apr 2 with 744 viewsbluelagos

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 15:50 - Apr 2 by eireblue

That’s the quote about economists.

The scientific method involves careful observation, applying rigorous skepticism, and then testing with controls.

The issue you have is lack of data, and political decision making based on potential bias, and imperfect knowledge.

The politicians are making decisions.

Most of the criticism seems to be based on the UK doing things differently to other countries.
And not being clear on why certain decisions were made.

"Most of the criticism seems to be based on the UK doing things differently to other countries."

I think that's some of it. But there is also the issue of implementation, namely the lack of testing, the lack of PPE and the lack of ventilators when the govt is seemingly attempting to get them.

Throw in the inconsistent messaging from those in power and I think we have a developing sh1tshower. But then what did anyone ever expect from a government led by a dishonest liar with a record of what exactly? He was regarded as one of the worst Foreign Secretaries ever and the Tories elect him as their leader ffs.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:20 - Apr 2 with 730 viewsGuthrum

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 13:06 - Apr 2 by factual_blue

Once the Dominion Prime Ministers (S Africa, Australia, NZ, Canada) made it clear they wouldn't find a war about Czechoslovakia, the possibility of the UK fighting was non-existent.

Plus in 1938 the French government was an utter shambles, staggering around on the verge of collapse (with a genuine risk of civil war). The impossibility of carrying them with us also precluded firm action.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:22 - Apr 2 with 728 viewseireblue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:10 - Apr 2 by bluelagos

"Most of the criticism seems to be based on the UK doing things differently to other countries."

I think that's some of it. But there is also the issue of implementation, namely the lack of testing, the lack of PPE and the lack of ventilators when the govt is seemingly attempting to get them.

Throw in the inconsistent messaging from those in power and I think we have a developing sh1tshower. But then what did anyone ever expect from a government led by a dishonest liar with a record of what exactly? He was regarded as one of the worst Foreign Secretaries ever and the Tories elect him as their leader ffs.

Well yes there is that as well :-)

I think one ex-Tory member referred to this lot as a “shower of sh1t”.

Nothing is happening that can really improve on that description.
Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:56 - Apr 2 with 700 viewsStokieBlue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 12:44 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Bizarrely I seem to now be involved in the PPE industry. Because of a relationship we have with a certain manufacturer in China I just took a call from someone who seems to be in the loop with government action and procurement and the complexity is absolutely staggering.

It's fine for people on here to criticise but they have no idea quite frankly and are talking gibberish, I am quite shocked by what I just heard.

I can't really go into things in detail but loosely speaking - the new pregnancy type tests will not be as useful as thought, the current tests are not as useful as the public think, oh and Trump has sent his merry men to China and they are ordering up everything and current orders in the system for other countries are being thrown in the bin.

The Yanks are strong arming it.

I saw a story today where masks were literally on the plane to fly to France from China and some people from the US just paid 3 times as much on the runway and they were diverted to the US.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:59 - Apr 2 with 688 viewsmonytowbray

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 16:56 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

I saw a story today where masks were literally on the plane to fly to France from China and some people from the US just paid 3 times as much on the runway and they were diverted to the US.

SB

The whole nation is built on out-of-control ruthless self-obsessed capitalism so not a surprise.

TWTD never forgets…

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:12 - Apr 2 with 664 viewsLord_Lucan

SB

Not sure if you saw my post earlier but I was told today by a man in the know that Trump has his honchos in China right now buying up all the PPE from factories and other order forms from other governments are going in the bin.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:15 - Apr 2 with 656 viewsStokieBlue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:12 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Not sure if you saw my post earlier but I was told today by a man in the know that Trump has his honchos in China right now buying up all the PPE from factories and other order forms from other governments are going in the bin.

Yep - I was replying to that post.

It's all over the media as well though, the French obviously not happy.

SB

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:20 - Apr 2 with 649 viewsLord_Lucan

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:15 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

Yep - I was replying to that post.

It's all over the media as well though, the French obviously not happy.

SB

Sorry - I'm going bonkers.

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:44 - Apr 2 with 619 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:12 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Imagine if we had an economy built on resilience and long term thinking rather than the race to the bottom logic of sociopaths.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 18:26 - Apr 2 with 579 viewsStokieBlue

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 17:44 - Apr 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Imagine if we had an economy built on resilience and long term thinking rather than the race to the bottom logic of sociopaths.

How would that have meant there were enough masks for everyone?

The general point has merit but you can't shoehorn everything that happens into it.

SB
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 18:31]

Not a good day for the Government in the media on 18:34 - Apr 2 with 560 viewsPecker

I think todays briefing showed how complicated these tests are. I believe the Government are doing all they can to protect us. I do not see what they gain from not doing so.
Not a good day for the Government in the media on 18:37 - Apr 2 with 553 viewsBloomBlue

SB

The power of the EU
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024