Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting 16:28 - May 7 with 6020 viewsbluelagos

Not yet seen any hint of a street party or god forbid, an invite to join in any communal singing.

I do not live in Bentley.

He is normally a social chap with no known mental illnesses. Except he supports Norwich.

He has used the correct colours.

Am wondering on the correct Twtd compliant approach...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:53 - May 7 with 1441 viewsfooters

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:32 - May 7 by jeera

Yeah I've had this conversation a couple of times this week.

I'm all for keeping Remembrance Sunday, and the week either side of it, going forever.

But I'm unsure about these celebratory type events here and there and it's not immediately apparent to me what the purpose is now so many years after the war. What is it we're hoping to do? Rub the noses of other countries in it who have spent generations trying to move forwards?

I appreciate I may be missing something.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:43]

It's an odd figment of our national psyche.

As someone said earlier in the week, you won't really find most of mainland Europe commemorating or celebrating these events, just us.

In Russia, for example, the Great Patriotic War is generally shrugged off as something we had to deal with and did. But here, for some reason, along with the US, we've really taken it on as an intrinsic part of our national character.

As recent events have shown us, it's complete balls.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:53]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:59 - May 7 with 1429 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:26 - May 7 by jeera

As it's easily transferable why wouldn't we all try to behave as though we have it?

I understand your point about people needing to get out and about - exercise etc. You're hardly alone feeling that way so the campaigning isn't necessary.

But I'm struggling with the mocking of the measures required to protect people too.

You seem to swing from one side of the fence to the other on this and I really don't get it.

I want the people I care about to be protected and I expect everyone to take their share of responsibility. Surely that's right.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:40]

Eh? I was laughing at myself Jeera in suggesting I might be irrestible to the neighbours.

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 21:01 - May 7 with 1427 viewsGeoffSentence

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:48 - May 7 by bluelagos

Mate, with my highly toned cycling physique - the ladies mighten be able to hold 'emselves back.

Can't be risking it, we all have to behave as if we have CV.

How long do I have to keep going to get that physique?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 21:02 - May 7 with 1424 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 21:01 - May 7 by GeoffSentence

How long do I have to keep going to get that physique?

A lot longer than I've been going...

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 22:33 - May 7 with 1404 viewsfactual_blue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 19:54 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

Oh it dwarfed the western fronts, the soviets alone lost 10m military casualties which was twice the German total on all fronts, largely due to repeated and enormous encirclements throughout. The break off of hostilities with japan allowed the soviets to throw millions of more fresh troops plus tanks at the hun.

Of all the men born in Soviet Russia in 1922, 80% were dead by 1945.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 22:55 - May 7 with 1393 viewsTangledupin_Blue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:51 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

European countries all have liberation day celebrations and this is our equivalent really. It’s a celebration of the end of the war not the war itself. Anyway it’s all pretty muted and usually only on particular milestones now like like 5 or ten year anniversaries. To be honest people are just looking for any sort of celebration at the moment.

If people want to celebrate the end of the war, why don't they wait until August?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 23:15 - May 7 with 1384 viewsFtnfwest

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 22:55 - May 7 by Tangledupin_Blue

If people want to celebrate the end of the war, why don't they wait until August?

An often asked question. In terms of any official ceremonies etc I did wonder whether they would do that this year. The Americans mark it on the surrender which actually wasn’t until the start of September
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 07:33 - May 8 with 1351 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:37 - May 7 by bluelagos

Fcks sake, just had the knock on the door. Whole sodding close is doing drinks, food etc. from our front gardens tomorrow afternoon.

I need a govt approved reason to be out :-) Exercise won't cut it as I could have gone out in the morning...

Public shaming....how thoroughly British!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 07:36 - May 8 with 1347 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:37 - May 7 by bluelagos

Fcks sake, just had the knock on the door. Whole sodding close is doing drinks, food etc. from our front gardens tomorrow afternoon.

I need a govt approved reason to be out :-) Exercise won't cut it as I could have gone out in the morning...

Miss Slave says one word..... "Karma!"

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 08:18 - May 8 with 1323 viewsChurchman

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 19:54 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

Oh it dwarfed the western fronts, the soviets alone lost 10m military casualties which was twice the German total on all fronts, largely due to repeated and enormous encirclements throughout. The break off of hostilities with japan allowed the soviets to throw millions of more fresh troops plus tanks at the hun.

So many Russians died its hard to get your head round and the cruelty enacted by the Germans and Russians to each other knows no limit. In excess of 3m prisoners of war died in German hands alone, shot, gassed, starved, worked to death. They were considered sub-human. A rough estimate of German prisoners killed by the Russians is about 1m but nobody knows. Russian stats are, as ever, unreliable.

The Russian armed forces were improving by 1941 but were no match for the Germans. It hadn’t helped that Stalin had got rid of many armed forces officers in his 1936-39 ‘purge’. A sanitised term for murdering up to 1.2m people.

Russian soldiers were often ill equipped, underfed, badly led and had plenty of their own side ready to kill them if they didn’t do what was asked. And if you survived captivity by the Germans, there was a good chance you’d wind up in a Gulag or worse. Not a happy outlook.

That the Russians survived (aided by supplies from Britain carried by the convoys - Jeremy Clarkson’s documentary on PQ17 is good for explaining the horror of those) and then destroyed the German army is quite remarkable.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 8:19]
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 08:52 - May 8 with 1312 viewsChurchman

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:32 - May 7 by jeera

I'm all for keeping Remembrance Sunday, and the week either side of it, going forever.

But I'm unsure about these celebratory type events here and there and it's not immediately apparent to me what the purpose is now so many years after the war. What is it we're hoping to do? Rub the noses of other countries in it who have spent generations trying to move forwards?

I am definitely in favour of keeping Remembrance Sunday, but then I would having been involved with it for the past 11 years. In particular, it’s a good opportunity to reflect/remember the sacrifices of so many and for old comrades to meet up. A lot of people don’t wish to of course and that’s entirely their choice.

My personal view is that other events that encourage people to understand the past do no harm and I don’t think the average person thinks that it’s about rubbing other country’s noses in It. I don’t think it stops a country moving forward either. Decades of incompetent, stupid politicians and lack of investment is what does that. Understanding is all part of remembrance - I’m thinking particularly of the 100th anniversary of WW1 events in the past 6 years.

There are all sorts of reasons why other countries treat their history differently and that’s entirely up to them. I’m really not sure about today personally tbh and as somebody else points out, if you are going to do it, VJ Day would actually be more appropriate. I’d actually like to see one the May Bank Holidays moved to November and maybe that could be used to enlighten past events rather than this sort of thing.
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 08:57 - May 8 with 1310 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 07:36 - May 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Miss Slave says one word..... "Karma!"

And then some. I know I can be a pain but no way I deserve this.

Not happy.

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 09:00 - May 8 with 1306 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 08:57 - May 8 by bluelagos

And then some. I know I can be a pain but no way I deserve this.

Not happy.

Now she is just laughing!

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 09:08 - May 8 with 1295 viewsLord_Lucan

It's not really my sort of thing but why are people getting lambasted for celebrating the end of the war in Europe?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 09:41 - May 8 with 1270 viewsGlasgowBlue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 09:08 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

It's not really my sort of thing but why are people getting lambasted for celebrating the end of the war in Europe?

It’s same same people who bang on about the wearing of poppies every year.

If somebody doesn’t want to celebrate the 75th anniversary if VE Day then don’t celebrate. If somebody wants it then let them get on with it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:07 - May 8 with 1246 viewsartsbossbeard

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 09:08 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

I think that certain individuals are worthy of lambasting. Much like clapping on your doorstep, keep it bloody simple and don't get all "Gestapo reporting" on people who don't feel the same way.

Here's some text from a few posts on social media re: today

11am: 2 minute silence on your doorstep
3pm: Churchill speech on BBC then grab your picnic blankets or garden table and head to your front garden for:

4pm: Tea & scones
6pm: Dinner (Edit: TEA!!!) and raise your glass to your neighbours
9pm: Nationwide singalong to "We'll meet again" with The Royal British Legion following the Queen's address.

Just bloody raise a glass and have a think about what was giving up by so many for this country. Simples!
[Post edited 8 May 2020 10:08]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:31 - May 8 with 1211 viewsGlasgowBlue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:07 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

I think that certain individuals are worthy of lambasting. Much like clapping on your doorstep, keep it bloody simple and don't get all "Gestapo reporting" on people who don't feel the same way.

3pm: Churchill speech on BBC then grab your picnic blankets or garden table and head to your front garden for:

9pm: Nationwide singalong to "We'll meet again" with The Royal British Legion following the Queen's address.

Just bloody raise a glass and have a think about what was giving up by so many for this country. Simples!

All of that schedule seems fairly reasonable. Good luck to them.

So long as nobody shames those who don’t want to get involved then there should be no issue. After all, the people we are celebrating fought so that you or I are free to choose how we wish to commemorate or not commeremrate today.

Iron Lion Zion

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:35 - May 8 with 1204 viewspointofblue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:07 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

I guess We’ll Meet Again will take on a different meaning in the current situation.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 10:35 - May 8 with 1203 viewshampstead_blue

I like it.

It was a big deal. A rather large big deal with bells on it.

I'm not one for wearing my old beret so will be more restrained but none the less.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 11:04 - May 8 with 1185 viewsGlasgowBlue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:51 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

European countries all have liberation day celebrations and this is our equivalent really. It’s a celebration of the end of the war not the war itself. Anyway it’s all pretty muted and usually only on particular milestones now like like 5 or ten year anniversaries. To be honest people are just looking for any sort of celebration at the moment.

The people moaning about this are the same people who wear a bloody silly leprechaun hat and get pissed on Guinness in O’Neils every March 17th and order a limited edition orange Fred Perry polo shirt to wear at Kings/Queens day in Holland, despite having no connection to either.

Iron Lion Zion

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 11:18 - May 8 with 1170 viewsleitrimblue

Not much bunting in Co Leitrim this morning
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 11:19 - May 8 with 1169 viewsm14_blue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 11:04 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

The people moaning about this are the same people who wear a bloody silly leprechaun hat and get pissed on Guinness in O’Neils every March 17th and order a limited edition orange Fred Perry polo shirt to wear at Kings/Queens day in Holland, despite having no connection to either.

Fcuk me that sounds like a nice Fred Perry.
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 12:01 - May 8 with 1138 viewsJ2BLUE

Key events like today being marked with a silence and a few low key events are fine IMO but i'm a little uncomfortable with the celebrations and bunting etc.

Which I think was your point really.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 12:50 - May 8 with 1104 viewsSarge

I can’t see what it’s got to do with you though, if you don’t want to join in then don’t and let them get on with whatever they want to do. It’s not hurting anybody. I don’t join in clapping the nhs as I find it unbearably cringey but each to their own.
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 13:02 - May 8 with 1085 viewsartsbossbeard

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 12:50 - May 8 by Sarge

I can’t see what it’s got to do with you though, if you don’t want to join in then don’t and let them get on with whatever they want to do. It’s not hurting anybody. I don’t join in clapping the nhs as I find it unbearably cringey but each to their own.

"Karen, look at those at number 22, they're not joining in with the requisite gusto"

"To the social media-mobile, Karen!"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024