Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cancel culture 08:25 - Jul 8 with 17285 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting and good that people with a voice are standing up to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

A lawyer on Today even floated the idea of cancelling ALL historical statues, paintings, and physical memorials because 'standards change and people whom today seem great may be hiding dark secrets'
Bonkers.

Am all for free speech. Owen Jones and his cabal can scream "offence" until their lungs turn inside out. Makes my blood boil if you hadn't guessed.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cancel culture on 16:11 - Jul 8 with 1131 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 16:02 - Jul 8 by jaseitfc2015

Anyone who claims to be liberal yet supports cancel culture needs to do some soul searching... them calling themselves liberal is about as apt as Nigel Farage trying to claim to be a man of the people

That's an impressively ill-conceived contribution.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cancel culture on 16:26 - Jul 8 with 1111 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 15:48 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

On which subject? I've forgotten what it was you wanted to ask about.

You inferred that Hampstead was a bigot, and he replied that you were being bigoted towards bigots (sorry, I've been painting my garage since this all started).

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Cancel culture on 16:31 - Jul 8 with 1088 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 16:26 - Jul 8 by WeWereZombies

You inferred that Hampstead was a bigot, and he replied that you were being bigoted towards bigots (sorry, I've been painting my garage since this all started).

I didn't infer Hampstead was a bigot. I said, with exasperation illustrated by a face-palm smiley, that we should definitely be more worried about those that oppose bigots than the bigots. This was in response to Hampstead's post in which he claimed people opposing bigotry were enemies of free speech and making the wolr very 1984-like. I am less worried about those vocally opposing bigotry than I am about the seeming rise of bigotry.

Cancel culture on 16:47 - Jul 8 with 1060 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 14:41 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Your entire premise was based on you being a flouncey bellend rather than on reality. It's not worthy of anything more than ridicule and derision.

no, my premise is that the implication of the position you and your echoes are advancing is that the lived experience of being a biological woman is of no significance whatsoever. if you assert that someone who choses to identify their gender as female is in all respects the same as someone who is a biological woman then you are denying everything that is unique about the identity of biological women. how can that not be misogynist? for men to be telling biological women that their lived identify doesn't exist in any distinctive way is frankly as misogynist as anything i can imagine.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cancel culture on 16:51 - Jul 8 with 1042 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 16:47 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

no, my premise is that the implication of the position you and your echoes are advancing is that the lived experience of being a biological woman is of no significance whatsoever. if you assert that someone who choses to identify their gender as female is in all respects the same as someone who is a biological woman then you are denying everything that is unique about the identity of biological women. how can that not be misogynist? for men to be telling biological women that their lived identify doesn't exist in any distinctive way is frankly as misogynist as anything i can imagine.

Yeah, made up premise right there.

Cancel culture on 16:54 - Jul 8 with 1033 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 16:47 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Cancel culture on 16:55 - Jul 8 with 1030 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 16:51 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Yeah, made up premise right there.

ok, so you and your echoes are actually saying that trans women are distinct from biological women and that the later have their own distinct lived experience?

if that's right then my premise was indeed wrong and i apologise for wasting your time.

isn't nice to get these things clear.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cancel culture on 16:55 - Jul 8 with 1023 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 16:54 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

thicky who can't discuss stuff posts memes.

Login to get fewer ads

Cancel culture on 16:57 - Jul 8 with 1011 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 16:55 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

ok, so you and your echoes are actually saying that trans women are distinct from biological women and that the later have their own distinct lived experience?

if that's right then my premise was indeed wrong and i apologise for wasting your time.

It would be nice if you could post something coherent...

[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 16:57]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Cancel culture on 16:57 - Jul 8 with 1005 viewsHerbivore

Who has claimed that the lived experiences of cis women and trans women are identical? I haven't seen such a claim anywhere in this thread.

Cancel culture on 16:59 - Jul 8 with 998 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 16:57 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Who has claimed that the lived experiences of cis women and trans women are identical? I haven't seen such a claim anywhere in this thread.

and the implication of that is that trans women are distinct from biological women and that the later have their own distinct lived experience.

we agree. isn't harmony great.

Cancel culture on 17:00 - Jul 8 with 987 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 16:57 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

It would be nice if you could post something coherent...

[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 16:57]

oh do grow up. or stick to tik tok.

Cancel culture on 17:01 - Jul 8 with 968 viewsSpruceMoose

thicky who can't discuss stuff posts memes....

Christ! Your empty head makes a lot of noise with all that echoing. You have nothing worth discussing.

Cancel culture on 17:04 - Jul 8 with 947 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 17:00 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

oh do grow up. or stick to tik tok.

Don't get upset. Just keep impotently mashing that downvote button mate. That'll make you feel better.

Might also distract you from the fact that you've waded in here, made up a load of bollox, then had a right old flounce about it and wet yourself when people have pulled you up on it.

Cancel culture on 17:06 - Jul 8 with 933 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 17:01 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

thicky who can't discuss stuff posts memes....

Christ! Your empty head makes a lot of noise with all that echoing. You have nothing worth discussing.

oh dear.

Cancel culture on 17:06 - Jul 8 with 919 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 17:06 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

oh dear.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/c/capslock.htm

Cancel culture on 17:07 - Jul 8 with 915 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 14:44 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

Bully klaxon!

Nobody ever responds to your points because your points are always either incredibly stupid or nonsensical, and treating them with respect would be below any semi-sentient being.

The village marrow growers club might nod in all the right places while you drone on over tea and Battenburg, albeit with dead eyes and a desperate desire to be anywhere else rather than listening to you, but one can only imagine what they say about you after you've gone.

So, my advice to you would be to stick to your echo chamber mate, you'll be much happier there than out here in the real world.

To be fair, I don't think lowhouse has ever complained that he/she is being bullied.

And don't assume that a love of the sublime cake that is Battenberg aligns with a purview generally expressed by lowhouse, or that we who see the light of truth in Battenberg also grow marrows, although in my case I am growing quite a few marrows this summer - but that is Covid-19 related.

Also, you expressed a desire for Morgan to be consigned to an enclosure in an earlier post. Have you not seen this film?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Cancel culture on 17:08 - Jul 8 with 908 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 17:04 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

Don't get upset. Just keep impotently mashing that downvote button mate. That'll make you feel better.

Might also distract you from the fact that you've waded in here, made up a load of bollox, then had a right old flounce about it and wet yourself when people have pulled you up on it.

if you keep flailing your arms around like this you're only going to end up hitting yourself you know. but still it's quite fun to watch

Cancel culture on 17:14 - Jul 8 with 885 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 17:08 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

if you keep flailing your arms around like this you're only going to end up hitting yourself you know. but still it's quite fun to watch

Nap time for you. You've had a busy morning of confusion and anger.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 17:15]

Cancel culture on 17:17 - Jul 8 with 870 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 16:59 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

and the implication of that is that trans women are distinct from biological women and that the later have their own distinct lived experience.

Yes, much in the same way that my lived experience as a straight white man will be distinct from the lived experience of a gay man or a Black man. We all still manage to share a changing room though.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 17:21]

Cancel culture on 17:18 - Jul 8 with 867 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture on 16:59 - Jul 8 by lowhouseblue

Oh and by the way Mr Bigly Brain... there's a difference between 'latter' and 'later'.

A less generous person might ask who the real 'thicky' is here, seeing as you're going to question the intelligence of others. If you do that, then stuff like that is important don't you think?
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 17:19]

Cancel culture on 17:38 - Jul 8 with 834 viewsRyorry

Cancel culture on 16:11 - Jul 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

FWIW I don’t think your comparison is like for like

The separate toilet suggestion was clumsy however I’ve assumed it was meant to give those people uncomfortable with using the toilet of their biological gender another option, rather than forcing them to use that toilet. Whereas the example you cited was a separate ‘Negro’ toilet that black people had to use. I think on this subject the suggestion has merit - although I’d word differently as a unisex option (which does actually exist in a number of places) rather than a trans option

Ultimately it’s a very difficult subject and difficult to pinpoint a solution that works for all. I would suggest that the majority of people do believe trans people have the right to live as the gender they choose without persecution, however at the same time that right shouldn’t impede on the rights of others (in this case women)

As a straight male it’s not easy to assess where that happens, but I do find it interesting that there seem to be a lot of straight males quick to dismiss those women who do have concerns, which from my experience certainly isn’t a minority. I also don’t think it’s fair to dismiss those concerns as transphobic when as far as I can tell the fear in this case is around biological men being what women perceive as being their safe space - regardless of how those men identify

Well said.

Yes, I did express it clumsily re the "separate toilet" and yes, I did mean it as another option - the unisex idea is excellent.

I do hope people are prepared to learn from this as Moose said (after reading the whole thread, which was rightly pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago as an essential before jumping in). What's the old adage about "walk a mile in someone's shoes"?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cancel culture on 17:48 - Jul 8 with 812 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 17:38 - Jul 8 by Ryorry

Well said.

Yes, I did express it clumsily re the "separate toilet" and yes, I did mean it as another option - the unisex idea is excellent.

I do hope people are prepared to learn from this as Moose said (after reading the whole thread, which was rightly pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago as an essential before jumping in). What's the old adage about "walk a mile in someone's shoes"?

But what if trans people don't want to use unisex spaces either? They may not feel comfortable sharing a space that can also be used by men, given that they are also often victims of harassment, bullying and worse from men. It's still not a really inclusive solution.

Cancel culture on 17:51 - Jul 8 with 806 viewsfooters

Let's be honest. The argument on this essentially centres around only one part of the trans community: male-to-female, pre-op.

Would the objecting posters be worried about men sharing a toilet with female-to-male, post ops?

Or would women be bothered about sharing a toilet with a male-to-female, post op?

Let's call it for what it is, at least. And if that is the only 'troublesome' group, then how about a bathroom just for them until they get it cut off?

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cancel culture on 18:13 - Jul 8 with 757 viewseastangliaisblue

Cancel culture on 16:11 - Jul 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

FWIW I don’t think your comparison is like for like

The separate toilet suggestion was clumsy however I’ve assumed it was meant to give those people uncomfortable with using the toilet of their biological gender another option, rather than forcing them to use that toilet. Whereas the example you cited was a separate ‘Negro’ toilet that black people had to use. I think on this subject the suggestion has merit - although I’d word differently as a unisex option (which does actually exist in a number of places) rather than a trans option

Ultimately it’s a very difficult subject and difficult to pinpoint a solution that works for all. I would suggest that the majority of people do believe trans people have the right to live as the gender they choose without persecution, however at the same time that right shouldn’t impede on the rights of others (in this case women)

As a straight male it’s not easy to assess where that happens, but I do find it interesting that there seem to be a lot of straight males quick to dismiss those women who do have concerns, which from my experience certainly isn’t a minority. I also don’t think it’s fair to dismiss those concerns as transphobic when as far as I can tell the fear in this case is around biological men being what women perceive as being their safe space - regardless of how those men identify

You managed to articulate that far better than i ever could. That's why i didn't even try!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024