Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cancel culture 08:25 - Jul 8 with 17289 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting and good that people with a voice are standing up to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

A lawyer on Today even floated the idea of cancelling ALL historical statues, paintings, and physical memorials because 'standards change and people whom today seem great may be hiding dark secrets'
Bonkers.

Am all for free speech. Owen Jones and his cabal can scream "offence" until their lungs turn inside out. Makes my blood boil if you hadn't guessed.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cancel culture on 20:44 - Jul 8 with 1041 viewsjeera

Cancel culture on 20:30 - Jul 8 by LankHenners

Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist. The final two letters make it a rather clunky an ill-fitting label at times but essentially it's used to describe someone being transphobic.

That's that one cleared up.

Now what's 'perf' in the surf advert that the crazy girl keeps repeating?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cancel culture on 20:49 - Jul 8 with 1025 viewsitfcjoe

Cancel culture on 20:39 - Jul 8 by LankHenners

I hope you're not thinking of 'banning them' as that is transphobic.

Assuming you mean having a separate category you run into the problem of a) having enough olympic (or whatever) level trans athletes for a full program, and b) essentially having a governing body tell trans people who they are or aren't which is difficult to handle sensitively.

Trans women should not be competing in women’s sports, they have a scientifically proven physical advantage.

Professor Ross Tucker has written and spoken at length about this, at every running event in Athletics there is a 10% difference between men and women

Effectively it is a 3rd category like those in the Paralympics unless they want to compete as their biological sex
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 20:50]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cancel culture on 20:56 - Jul 8 with 998 viewseastangliaisblue

Cancel culture on 20:44 - Jul 8 by jeera

That's that one cleared up.

Now what's 'perf' in the surf advert that the crazy girl keeps repeating?

Now that advert does need to be cancelled.
Cancel culture on 21:43 - Jul 8 with 938 viewseireblue

Phil bans people on this site just for posting stuff.

You should consider some form of protest at his caving into cancel culture.

How about refusing to post on here for 10 years, that’ll show him good and proper.
Cancel culture on 21:50 - Jul 8 with 923 viewsjaseitfc2015

Cancel culture on 16:11 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

That's an impressively ill-conceived contribution.

Instead of throwing ill conceived insults, tell me how?

If you believe in shutting down anyone that disagrees with you-you are not liberal. Being liberal is to win the battle of ideas.

But hey, I knew you'd object because you are not liberal
Cancel culture on 22:12 - Jul 8 with 884 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 21:50 - Jul 8 by jaseitfc2015

Instead of throwing ill conceived insults, tell me how?

If you believe in shutting down anyone that disagrees with you-you are not liberal. Being liberal is to win the battle of ideas.

But hey, I knew you'd object because you are not liberal

That's not a very liberal attitude.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cancel culture on 23:11 - Jul 8 with 830 viewsmrshallisfit

Cancel culture on 12:39 - Jul 8 by hampstead_blue

How rude, inaccurate, and totally unnecessary.

Please keep your assumptions to yourself. If you want to state a fact then make it solid. So far yourself and Herbivore are the duty insulters of those with whom you disagree.

Do you insult everyone with whom you disagree to this level and to themselves in person? You both seem like the types who's chest expands when presented with a keyboard.

GIve yourself some time off and be nice.

You telling someone else to be nice. I've heard it all now.
Cancel culture on 08:46 - Jul 9 with 729 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 19:16 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Replace biological women with straight white men and refer back to the previous example and see how it scans again. And in any case, nobody is saying cis women shouldn't be listened to.

Also you're basically implying that you think trans women are men, which is pretty offensive to trans women. I can see exactly what you're doing by consistently referring to them as people with penises. It's very transparent and very transphobic.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 19:19]

are you saying they're not biological men? can it really be offensive, in an abstract political discussion, to use a biological taxonomy? or is this bit of science just too inconvenient?

in terms of replacing a discussion of sex with a discussion of race. i assume you're trying to say one group is advantaged and the other disadvantaged. is the implication then that you don't think biological women are discriminated against, suffer harassment, violence, economic inequality and oppression ? so much for the women's movement and feminism eh, just shut up love and make way for people with penises.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 9 with 716 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 08:46 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

are you saying they're not biological men? can it really be offensive, in an abstract political discussion, to use a biological taxonomy? or is this bit of science just too inconvenient?

in terms of replacing a discussion of sex with a discussion of race. i assume you're trying to say one group is advantaged and the other disadvantaged. is the implication then that you don't think biological women are discriminated against, suffer harassment, violence, economic inequality and oppression ? so much for the women's movement and feminism eh, just shut up love and make way for people with penises.

I think you need to re-read this thread, take a holiday from your transphobia, and then come back to us. And please stop with the straw manning, I get that it's an attempt to deflect from your transphobia but it's really not cool.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 9:13]

Cancel culture on 09:19 - Jul 9 with 690 viewshampstead_blue

Cancel culture on 19:11 - Jul 8 by Trequartista

Well, well, well, something i've been banging on about for awhile. I mentioned woke culture on here and got accused of being some sort of racist apologist and/or bigot for using the 'w' word, now being referenced here by that famous right-winger *checks notes* Barack Obama.

Owen Jones is a good person and an intelligent person, but his dogma just infuriates. For example, he stands up for trans rights, absolutely behind that, but the issue is complex when it conflicts with womens rights and err the truth about human beings, but instead he doesn't debate, shouts trans rights even louder and piles on those who don't comply.

From my reading of Jones, he trashes his arguments by deliberately (or not) being so smug and then retreats from the room in which he's just lobbed a flashbang.

His behavior is cowardly.

I've no doubt to his intellect and sincerity. We need that on both sides to make sure the arguments are properly dissected. He is just the most annoying smug and 'hit me' bloke I' met since the last time I spoke to my brother. I tell you that's a high bar to reach!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Cancel culture on 09:22 - Jul 9 with 682 viewshampstead_blue

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

I think you need to re-read this thread, take a holiday from your transphobia, and then come back to us. And please stop with the straw manning, I get that it's an attempt to deflect from your transphobia but it's really not cool.

Here we go round the 'tagging' bush with Herbi.

You need to stop labelling people with your assumptive insults.

Unless you can prove this poster is what you say, retract and delete.
What you have said is poor and ought to be removed.

Cancel culture on 09:24 - Jul 9 with 678 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 09:22 - Jul 9 by hampstead_blue

Here we go round the 'tagging' bush with Herbi.

You need to stop labelling people with your assumptive insults.

Unless you can prove this poster is what you say, retract and delete.
What you have said is poor and ought to be removed.

His constant referring to trans women as people with penises and biological men as though that is their key defining characteristic is transphobic. He's been doing it repeatedly in this thread. I am not insulting him, I am accurately describing his attitudes. I don't need to apologise. And this is rich as fuk coming from you, when you call people window lickers and then double down rather than apologise when called out on it.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 9:26]

Cancel culture on 09:25 - Jul 9 with 676 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 09:19 - Jul 9 by hampstead_blue

From my reading of Jones, he trashes his arguments by deliberately (or not) being so smug and then retreats from the room in which he's just lobbed a flashbang.

I've no doubt to his intellect and sincerity. We need that on both sides to make sure the arguments are properly dissected. He is just the most annoying smug and 'hit me' bloke I' met since the last time I spoke to my brother. I tell you that's a high bar to reach!

'We need that on both sides' - I think there are more than two sides to the transgender issue. And the transgender issue is not the central issue of the cancel culture debate, but it does seem to have taken over this thread.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Cancel culture on 09:25 - Jul 9 with 674 viewseireblue

You start topics, and do not respond to questions or comments, or engage with arguments.

Your behaviour is equally cowardly.

But you are correct Jones has an intellect.

I am being nice.
Cancel culture on 09:25 - Jul 9 with 675 viewsHerbivore

I wonder what it could be about Owen Jones that makes you want to hit him.

Cancel culture on 10:07 - Jul 9 with 634 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

i don't know why that's been reported as abuse - it wasn't me.

but could you explain what I have written that amounts to transphobia? it is a very easy accusation to fling around but can you back it up?

my first contribution to the thread started by saying that trans men and women must be protected by law from discrimination and harassment.

throwing around insults really makes discussion difficult so please explain what i have said that is phobic.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cancel culture on 10:11 - Jul 9 with 621 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 10:07 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

i don't know why that's been reported as abuse - it wasn't me.

but could you explain what I have written that amounts to transphobia? it is a very easy accusation to fling around but can you back it up?

my first contribution to the thread started by saying that trans men and women must be protected by law from discrimination and harassment.

throwing around insults really makes discussion difficult so please explain what i have said that is phobic.

I've explained this. You are consistently referring to trans women as people with penises and continually equating them with men. If you can't see how that is implicitly transphobic then I think we're speaking very different languages. You seem to think this is a binary people with penises - in which you include trans women - versus women debate and that framing is deeply problematic.

Cancel culture on 10:50 - Jul 9 with 574 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 10:11 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

I've explained this. You are consistently referring to trans women as people with penises and continually equating them with men. If you can't see how that is implicitly transphobic then I think we're speaking very different languages. You seem to think this is a binary people with penises - in which you include trans women - versus women debate and that framing is deeply problematic.

are you denying that trans women are biological men? If that is an accurate statement then why is it transphobic to say it? please explain. again this is in the context of an abstract discussion and isn't related to any individual. why is it 'deeply problematic' to say that many biological women see trans women as falling within the category of people with penises? why don't those views count?

are you saying that the only way of avoiding being transphobic is to abandon the standard biological taxonomy which has been accepted for centuries?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 10:51]

Cancel culture on 10:52 - Jul 9 with 567 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 10:50 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

are you denying that trans women are biological men? If that is an accurate statement then why is it transphobic to say it? please explain. again this is in the context of an abstract discussion and isn't related to any individual. why is it 'deeply problematic' to say that many biological women see trans women as falling within the category of people with penises? why don't those views count?

are you saying that the only way of avoiding being transphobic is to abandon the standard biological taxonomy which has been accepted for centuries?

Cancel culture on 11:12 - Jul 9 with 540 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 10:52 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

great answer. so you can call people transphobic but when challenged you don't really know why.

Cancel culture on 11:14 - Jul 9 with 534 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 10:50 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

I request that both you and herbivore have a read, or a quick scan at least, of the following before you continue you conversation:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2018/10/its-intersex-awareness-day-here-a

Cancel culture on 11:22 - Jul 9 with 516 viewslowhouseblue

Cancel culture on 11:14 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

I request that both you and herbivore have a read, or a quick scan at least, of the following before you continue you conversation:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2018/10/its-intersex-awareness-day-here-a

thank you. i'm very aware that the biological sex taxonomy isn't a simple binary. few taxonomies in practice provide a precise and definite dichotomy that applies in 100% of cases. as your article says inter sex is relatively rare - it is also different from the current discussion. it doesn't alter the fact that for the vast majority of the human population the male / female biological taxonomy describes an essential dichotomy. or is anyone saying that isn't true?

Cancel culture on 11:25 - Jul 9 with 511 viewshampstead_blue

Cancel culture on 09:24 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

His constant referring to trans women as people with penises and biological men as though that is their key defining characteristic is transphobic. He's been doing it repeatedly in this thread. I am not insulting him, I am accurately describing his attitudes. I don't need to apologise. And this is rich as fuk coming from you, when you call people window lickers and then double down rather than apologise when called out on it.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 9:26]

You are the King of the assumption.
Please stop. It's neither kind nor productive.

Your reading between lines which exist in your own mind.

Cancel culture on 11:37 - Jul 9 with 480 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 11:12 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

great answer. so you can call people transphobic but when challenged you don't really know why.

I've explained why and you just keep coming back with the same stuff. You are attempting to reduce a complex issue to being about whether or not someone has a penis, except of course when you talk about women's rights and then rely on socio-cultural narratives and history. The same socio-cultural narratives and history that you implicity deny trans women by your reductionist biological labelling of them as people with penises. If you can't see that then I really don't know how we can move on from here.

Cancel culture on 11:38 - Jul 9 with 475 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 11:22 - Jul 9 by lowhouseblue

thank you. i'm very aware that the biological sex taxonomy isn't a simple binary. few taxonomies in practice provide a precise and definite dichotomy that applies in 100% of cases. as your article says inter sex is relatively rare - it is also different from the current discussion. it doesn't alter the fact that for the vast majority of the human population the male / female biological taxonomy describes an essential dichotomy. or is anyone saying that isn't true?

'it is also different from the current discussion'.

That may be the case but not necessarily so. Just as there may be men who identify as transgender to gain access to women in intimate situations but that is not necessarily so for every transgender person.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024