Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... 02:26 - Aug 1 with 10249 viewsNewcyBlue

On 4th May I lost a close friend. He had cancer. He was 4 days out from his birthday.

It hit me pretty hard. I had sailed with him twice. He was a drinking buddy. Seb thought he was an absolute riot. When I stopped drinking we still went out.

He was a massive Newcastle fan. Whenever I did a Great North Run or something similar, he was always the first to laugh at me, tell me he would be at the finish line with a beer watching me crawl over the then. Then he would put his hand in his pocket with great delight.

I’ve been trying to come up with something, something befitting the man.

There’s only one thing for it really isn’t there? I’m going to walk from the Sir Bobby Robson Statue at St James Park to the Sir Bobby Robson statue at Portman Road. For the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

The next thing I need to do is get home, buy maps, plan a route. Plan food and overnight stops.

My plan is to do it when spectators are allowed back into Portman Road, arriving on the day of a match.

In reality that’s probably going to be next year, which will mean the twins won’t be as much as a handful, and MrsN can drive down at various points for the overnight stop overs.

This has been on my mind a while now. It’s Sitters fault. He posted something on twitter about how far is it to walk from your home to your teams stadium. Since then it’s been at the back of mind eating away.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 02:35 - Aug 1 with 5922 viewsSpruceMoose

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss Newcy. It's really rough, but sounds like you have a great salute to your friendship planned. If you decide to introduce a charity aspect to your walk let us know and I'll gladly chip in.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 02:36 - Aug 1 with 5904 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 02:35 - Aug 1 by SpruceMoose

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss Newcy. It's really rough, but sounds like you have a great salute to your friendship planned. If you decide to introduce a charity aspect to your walk let us know and I'll gladly chip in.

Appreciate it Spruce. I’ll do it for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Seems fitting.

Hope all is well there.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 02:52 - Aug 1 with 5873 viewsjeera

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 02:36 - Aug 1 by NewcyBlue

Appreciate it Spruce. I’ll do it for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Seems fitting.

Hope all is well there.

Hello mate.

Just want to echo Spruce's words there and say sorry for your friend and his loved ones.
I know how hard it is to lose people before their time.

The walk sounds a great idea and a fitting tribute.

When you're up to it and get things in place I'm sure it will be a proudly placed sticky at the top of the board. I look forward to it.

All the best, drive carefully.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 3:15]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 05:26 - Aug 1 with 5804 viewswitchdoctor

really sorry to hear that mate and would like to echo the sentiments of the two above...I’ll gladly sponsor you as and when you get the charity aspect sorted out..
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 06:38 - Aug 1 with 5742 viewsbluelagos

You'll be glad to know there is a Uk wide coastal path which would avoid a lot of planning (certainly the Newcastle to The Wash part)

If you do it, I'll be happy to commit to joining you on the last two statues section, Sir Alf to Sir Bobby bit :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 07:23 - Aug 1 with 5695 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sorry for your loss. This life truly sucks.

What a fantastic idea.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 07:27 - Aug 1 with 5686 viewsSwailsey

xx

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 07:45 - Aug 1 with 5637 viewsPJH

Sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend Newcy-I know what it is like.

In my mate's case it was sudden and he was just about to retire from work.

It was nine years ago but it still hurts and I still think about him a lot.

Sometimes I think he has come back as my grandson who was born two days after Richard left us.

The walk is a great idea and good luck with that.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 8:10]
Login to get fewer ads

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 08:10 - Aug 1 with 5580 viewsBloomBlue

That's a fantastic way of remembering him especially raising money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

I know it's obvious to say, but plan, plan and plan again a walk of that length. You will need help with any unforeseen changes/issues during the week of the walk, I would offer but at my age I probably wouldn't be of much use.

Over the years I've been involved in some long walks but groups rather than individuals. If you're unsure where to start look for information on Lands End to John O'Groats there is a lot of information out there on how to plan for that walk and that will help you think about the things you possibly haven't thought about.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 08:51 - Aug 1 with 5497 viewsPendejo

Hello sailor!

Go for it. Here's to that walk coming to fruition soon(ish) twins, in board posting, covid and every fan thing else willing.

RSVP here or by pm your ship name so I can stalk on one of the tracking sites please.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 09:24 - Aug 1 with 5443 viewsKeno

Thinking of you

Are you planning to do the walk the easy way down the east coast or the long way round (you know Scotland, down the west coast, turn left and lands end etc etc)

If the latter I'll join you on the south coast bit for a few miles

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 09:26 - Aug 1 with 5437 viewsGuthrum

Sounds a great way of honouring your friend's memory, raising money in a good cause.

Make sure your prep includes very good/comfortable/supporting footwear. Too easy to do yourself physical damage on long distance walks if that isn't the case. Also making the daily stages too long and/or not including rest and recovery breaks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 09:43 - Aug 1 with 5400 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's a heck of a challenge, fair play to you.

Worth reading what Jeff Stelling has to say about his long walks, it sounds like they are a real slog and painful.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:19 - Aug 1 with 5345 viewsfactual_blue

Sorry to hear of your mate's death.

You could of course extend your walk to include all his clubs.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:30 - Aug 1 with 5327 viewsPhilTWTD

My condolences regarding your friend. Any publicity you want regarding the walk on here - or elsewhere in the local media this end - just give me a shout.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:30 - Aug 1 with 5323 viewsNewcyBlue

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I’m going to get home and study some maps. There are maps for full coastal walks around the UK, so they will be the ones I buy and study and make Route plans from.

I’m basically planning 30 miles a day.

I’m yet to decide whether to camp or find hotels, b&bs etc. If I am camping it’s going to be taking stuff down on my back. Hotels would mean MrsN and the twins drive between the hotels and wait for my arrival.

The problem is this is something that is almost all I can think about at the moment. I want to start the planning.

We get to Europe in a couple of weeks. I’ll download the OS app so that I can look at some maps.

I’m going to plan this meticulously, and no doubt I will be coming on here to bounce ideas off people.

I think this season will be out the window due to COVID. Plus I need time to properly plan this thing. So I will aim for next August or September whichever one I am not at sea for. That will give the twins a chance to be a bit older and MrsN to have more of a routine for them. They’ll be 9/10 months by then.

“Be naive enough to start, but stubborn enough to finish” - Ross Edgley.

Again. Thank you all for being so supportive.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:29 - Aug 1 with 5253 viewsbluelagos

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:30 - Aug 1 by NewcyBlue

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I’m going to get home and study some maps. There are maps for full coastal walks around the UK, so they will be the ones I buy and study and make Route plans from.

I’m basically planning 30 miles a day.

I’m yet to decide whether to camp or find hotels, b&bs etc. If I am camping it’s going to be taking stuff down on my back. Hotels would mean MrsN and the twins drive between the hotels and wait for my arrival.

The problem is this is something that is almost all I can think about at the moment. I want to start the planning.

We get to Europe in a couple of weeks. I’ll download the OS app so that I can look at some maps.

I’m going to plan this meticulously, and no doubt I will be coming on here to bounce ideas off people.

I think this season will be out the window due to COVID. Plus I need time to properly plan this thing. So I will aim for next August or September whichever one I am not at sea for. That will give the twins a chance to be a bit older and MrsN to have more of a routine for them. They’ll be 9/10 months by then.

“Be naive enough to start, but stubborn enough to finish” - Ross Edgley.

Again. Thank you all for being so supportive.

Coastal travel is easy. Once went to Sweden with no map. At Calais keep the sea on your left arm, turn left at Denmark, right at Copenhagen. Job done.

Same principal, leave Newcastle, sea on your arm, start walking. Just be sure to make sure it's on your left arm not your right.

The coastal path has been planned for years and is like 95% done so should be a piece of cake if that is your main bit.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:49 - Aug 1 with 5225 viewsfabian_illness

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:29 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

Coastal travel is easy. Once went to Sweden with no map. At Calais keep the sea on your left arm, turn left at Denmark, right at Copenhagen. Job done.

Same principal, leave Newcastle, sea on your arm, start walking. Just be sure to make sure it's on your left arm not your right.

The coastal path has been planned for years and is like 95% done so should be a piece of cake if that is your main bit.

Using that principle, if you get to Edinburgh, you’ve probably gone the wrong way.

Newcy, sorry for the loss of your mate.
Bl00dy good show doing something so epic in his memory.
He’ll be loving it I’m sure. Good work, keep us all posted.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:52 - Aug 1 with 5216 viewsHerbivore

Sorry to hear about your loss mate. That's an amazing thing you are doing to honour your friend's memory. I'm sure he'd have been really proud of you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:54 - Aug 1 with 5213 viewseireblue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:29 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

Have you just given our resident sea captain, the one that sails those big ships, navigation advice?

I like the cut of your jib.

Sorry to hear about your loss Newcy, but a really nice way to honour a lost friend, good luck.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:07 - Aug 1 with 5190 viewsbluelagos

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 11:54 - Aug 1 by eireblue

Have you just given our resident sea captain, the one that sails those big ships, navigation advice?

I like the cut of your jib.

Sorry to hear about your loss Newcy, but a really nice way to honour a lost friend, good luck.

Yeah, but he's on land! No radar or lookout towers to help ;-)

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:20 - Aug 1 with 5149 viewsRyorry

So sorry to hear about your close friend Newcy.

Please count me in for sponsorship/donation when you get set up. Remember to include a PayPal button, and don't forget to acquire some land-legs through a bit of training & practice sections before you start the biggie!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:20 - Aug 1 with 5155 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Condolences on the loss of your pal.

That is a major undertaking, Newcy. Good luck with it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:21 - Aug 1 with 5151 viewsBlue_Order

Sorry for your loss, mate.

That’ll be a wonderful tribute.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:25 - Aug 1 with 5148 viewsNewcyBlue

The one thing I can work on at the moment for this endeavour is my body and my mind.

My motivation for it is intrinsic. I’m doing it for a cause.

My body, well.... to be brutally honest I have about 13kgs of fat to lose. I’m not sure how my legs will hold up to the challenge. Last leave I had problems with pinched cartilage in my knee.

Therefore I need to build up my legs. Resistance training will improve bone density and my ligaments and tendons.

Lose fat. This will be a mix of cardio and resistance training. Plus eating as healthily as I can on board.

I will include more general physical preparedness in my training, ladder and rope climbs, running, jumping. Being general in my foundations will allow for me to build a resilient body for whatever the lay of the land will throw at me. I don’t plan on taking the easiest route. I plan on enjoying the challenge.

My friends sister and her husband are full of support, they want to help where possible. MrsN said she will do whatever I need to support me.

Now is the time to prepare myself, get home and plan. Plan some more. Then plan some more. Plan for every scenario I can think of, and then some I can’t.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024