Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... 02:26 - Aug 1 with 10224 viewsNewcyBlue

On 4th May I lost a close friend. He had cancer. He was 4 days out from his birthday.

It hit me pretty hard. I had sailed with him twice. He was a drinking buddy. Seb thought he was an absolute riot. When I stopped drinking we still went out.

He was a massive Newcastle fan. Whenever I did a Great North Run or something similar, he was always the first to laugh at me, tell me he would be at the finish line with a beer watching me crawl over the then. Then he would put his hand in his pocket with great delight.

I’ve been trying to come up with something, something befitting the man.

There’s only one thing for it really isn’t there? I’m going to walk from the Sir Bobby Robson Statue at St James Park to the Sir Bobby Robson statue at Portman Road. For the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

The next thing I need to do is get home, buy maps, plan a route. Plan food and overnight stops.

My plan is to do it when spectators are allowed back into Portman Road, arriving on the day of a match.

In reality that’s probably going to be next year, which will mean the twins won’t be as much as a handful, and MrsN can drive down at various points for the overnight stop overs.

This has been on my mind a while now. It’s Sitters fault. He posted something on twitter about how far is it to walk from your home to your teams stadium. Since then it’s been at the back of mind eating away.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:54 - Aug 1 with 3203 viewsTangledupin_Blue

"Arriving on the day of a match..."

Could be:
The day we clinch promotion (with our glorious manager, Mr Lambert, there to greet you).
or: The first match back in the Championship.
or: The day we play Norwich in the Championship.
or: The day we play Colchester in L1 (or L2).
Not expecting Newcastle to be in Championship though that would be neat.

(Sorry, just thinking ahead a little)

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 15:56 - Aug 1 with 3142 viewswitchdoctor

soz bout downvote..fat finger syndrome...😬
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 15:59 - Aug 1 with 3140 viewsGuthrum

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 12:25 - Aug 1 by NewcyBlue

The one thing I can work on at the moment for this endeavour is my body and my mind.

My motivation for it is intrinsic. I’m doing it for a cause.

My body, well.... to be brutally honest I have about 13kgs of fat to lose. I’m not sure how my legs will hold up to the challenge. Last leave I had problems with pinched cartilage in my knee.

Therefore I need to build up my legs. Resistance training will improve bone density and my ligaments and tendons.

Lose fat. This will be a mix of cardio and resistance training. Plus eating as healthily as I can on board.

I will include more general physical preparedness in my training, ladder and rope climbs, running, jumping. Being general in my foundations will allow for me to build a resilient body for whatever the lay of the land will throw at me. I don’t plan on taking the easiest route. I plan on enjoying the challenge.

My friends sister and her husband are full of support, they want to help where possible. MrsN said she will do whatever I need to support me.

Now is the time to prepare myself, get home and plan. Plan some more. Then plan some more. Plan for every scenario I can think of, and then some I can’t.

If you're planning to walk during the glorious English summer, you might need that fat layer to withstand the freezing rain lashing down.

p.s. Sustaining 30 miles per day is fairly ambitious, especially if you're carrying a heavy pack (tent, etc.).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:02 - Aug 1 with 3136 viewsBluefish

So sorry mate. I lost a friend to a brain tumour a couple of years ago and it hurt so bad. Give me shout mate and I'll look into accompanying you somehow through the midlands leg. I can walk next to you and tell you all about lambert for a bit

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:51 - Aug 1 with 3114 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 15:59 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

If you're planning to walk during the glorious English summer, you might need that fat layer to withstand the freezing rain lashing down.

p.s. Sustaining 30 miles per day is fairly ambitious, especially if you're carrying a heavy pack (tent, etc.).

MrsN is fully on board. She will drive my kit between overnight stops.

So that means hotels. Which is fine, her and the twins will explore the destination whilst waiting for my arrival.

So 30 miles a day should be doable. I’ll probably try to plan some lighter days every now and then. But sustaining 3mph for 10 hours a day shouldn’t be too much of an issue unless I am faced with some exciting terrain.

Once I get hold of the relevant maps, I can plan my routes and see what I am faced with.

It has been suggested that I go to a Newcastle match and then set off and make it down for a Town match.

I don’t much fancy setting off at 1700hrs though!

Toon to Town.

If anybody wants to join me along different segments, they’re more than welcome to. Or you can just drive by and abuse me. I’m sure I will get enjoyment out of both.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:54 - Aug 1 with 3107 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:02 - Aug 1 by Bluefish

So sorry mate. I lost a friend to a brain tumour a couple of years ago and it hurt so bad. Give me shout mate and I'll look into accompanying you somehow through the midlands leg. I can walk next to you and tell you all about lambert for a bit

I’m already going to be suffering FFS....

You’d be most welcome to join me. If Lambert is still in charge I’ll buy you a tshirt that says Lambert Out for when you do join me!

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:01 - Aug 1 with 3099 viewsEdwardStone

Sorry to hear about your friend

What a marvellous way to remember him.....

Well done Cap'n, best of luck with it
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:07 - Aug 1 with 3093 viewsAlan_Handsome

So sorry for your loss. Lovely tribute that you're planning though, good on you, your friend would be so proud of you.

I can totally understand that you want to do something to honour him, there is definitely something deep inside us, as human beings, that makes us want to do something altruistic in the face of adversity/loss.

Good luck, we're all with you!!!!

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

Login to get fewer ads

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:10 - Aug 1 with 3090 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:02 - Aug 1 by Bluefish

Double post. Satellite internet.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 17:12]

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:13 - Aug 1 with 3085 viewsfooters

Condolences, Newcy. Always tough to lose a pal in those circumstances. He sounds like a great friend.

Will gladly donate once it's all up and running, and I'll even meet you at PR with a stottie as a reward!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:33 - Aug 1 with 3074 viewsgainsboroughblue

Having looked at the map, it looks all downhill as you are going from North to South.

That's how it works isn't it?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 17:45 - Aug 1 with 3046 viewsRyorry

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 16:51 - Aug 1 by NewcyBlue

MrsN is fully on board. She will drive my kit between overnight stops.

So that means hotels. Which is fine, her and the twins will explore the destination whilst waiting for my arrival.

So 30 miles a day should be doable. I’ll probably try to plan some lighter days every now and then. But sustaining 3mph for 10 hours a day shouldn’t be too much of an issue unless I am faced with some exciting terrain.

Once I get hold of the relevant maps, I can plan my routes and see what I am faced with.

It has been suggested that I go to a Newcastle match and then set off and make it down for a Town match.

I don’t much fancy setting off at 1700hrs though!

Toon to Town.

If anybody wants to join me along different segments, they’re more than welcome to. Or you can just drive by and abuse me. I’m sure I will get enjoyment out of both.

If you're going down the coast might be too far for me to drive, but if further inland, I look forward to meeting you & will try to meet any requests for freshly-cooked fortification, aka spinach 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 19:44 - Aug 1 with 3031 viewsgtsb1966

Sorry to hear that mate. Good luck on your walk. I'm sure you will be greatly rewarded in the sense of achievement and money for charity. You'll get plenty of support here.
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 19:47 - Aug 1 with 3030 viewsjeera

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 15:59 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

If Eddie Izzard could do it in heels and a dress then it shouldn't be a problem for a fit youngster like Newcers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 21:12 - Aug 1 with 2989 viewsGeoffSentence

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:30 - Aug 1 by NewcyBlue

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I’m going to get home and study some maps. There are maps for full coastal walks around the UK, so they will be the ones I buy and study and make Route plans from.

I’m basically planning 30 miles a day.

I’m yet to decide whether to camp or find hotels, b&bs etc. If I am camping it’s going to be taking stuff down on my back. Hotels would mean MrsN and the twins drive between the hotels and wait for my arrival.

The problem is this is something that is almost all I can think about at the moment. I want to start the planning.

We get to Europe in a couple of weeks. I’ll download the OS app so that I can look at some maps.

I’m going to plan this meticulously, and no doubt I will be coming on here to bounce ideas off people.

I think this season will be out the window due to COVID. Plus I need time to properly plan this thing. So I will aim for next August or September whichever one I am not at sea for. That will give the twins a chance to be a bit older and MrsN to have more of a routine for them. They’ll be 9/10 months by then.

“Be naive enough to start, but stubborn enough to finish” - Ross Edgley.

Again. Thank you all for being so supportive.

In case you weren't already aware bing maps has an Ordnance Survey Map overlay which may help with your planning.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 21:21 - Aug 2 with 2913 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m having trouble sleeping on board this evening.

I figured I would look in to the mapping of this adventure a bit more.

https://retailers.os.uk/public-resources-for-retailers/os-which-map-double-sided

A coverage diagram for the OS Landranger and Explorer maps. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I am tempted to do the coastal path down to The Wash, as BlueLagos reckons the navigation would be easier and he kindly gave me navigation tips 😉.

Then I am tempted to do a rhumb line to Ipswich. My other option is to go inland a bit and see what enjoyable terrain I can find myself.

Also these things end up with a catchy name. I am terrible at that. Any ideas? Toon to Town?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:32 - Aug 2 with 2891 viewsGeoffSentence

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 21:21 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

I’m having trouble sleeping on board this evening.

I figured I would look in to the mapping of this adventure a bit more.

https://retailers.os.uk/public-resources-for-retailers/os-which-map-double-sided

A coverage diagram for the OS Landranger and Explorer maps. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I am tempted to do the coastal path down to The Wash, as BlueLagos reckons the navigation would be easier and he kindly gave me navigation tips 😉.

Then I am tempted to do a rhumb line to Ipswich. My other option is to go inland a bit and see what enjoyable terrain I can find myself.

Also these things end up with a catchy name. I am terrible at that. Any ideas? Toon to Town?

Experience of using landranger/explorer maps?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:35 - Aug 2 with 2883 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:32 - Aug 2 by GeoffSentence

Experience of using landranger/explorer maps?

I’ve never even picked one up.

From the coverage diagram I reckon I will need about 20.

I’m guessing the 1:25000 is the best one to go for, due to the nature of the challenge?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:43 - Aug 2 with 2871 viewsGeoffSentence

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:35 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

I’ve never even picked one up.

From the coverage diagram I reckon I will need about 20.

I’m guessing the 1:25000 is the best one to go for, due to the nature of the challenge?

I used to work for the OS as a surveyor, so I do have some experience.

The 1:25000 are much clearer.

I am not sure if this will work for you as you are somewhere out in te deep blue yonder, but if you go to www.bing.com/maps , go to a location in the UK, then click on [road] in the top right hand corner, you should be able to select [ordnance survey] from there. Zoom in a couple of times and you get the explorer view, zoom in again and it the overlay changes to the landranger view. Which will give you some idea of what you are looking at.

The ordnance survery overlay is available in the UK, but I am not sure if that is for viewing UK maps anywhere in the world or if it is only available in the UK.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:17 - Aug 2 with 2843 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 22:43 - Aug 2 by GeoffSentence

I used to work for the OS as a surveyor, so I do have some experience.

The 1:25000 are much clearer.

I am not sure if this will work for you as you are somewhere out in te deep blue yonder, but if you go to www.bing.com/maps , go to a location in the UK, then click on [road] in the top right hand corner, you should be able to select [ordnance survey] from there. Zoom in a couple of times and you get the explorer view, zoom in again and it the overlay changes to the landranger view. Which will give you some idea of what you are looking at.

The ordnance survery overlay is available in the UK, but I am not sure if that is for viewing UK maps anywhere in the world or if it is only available in the UK.

I had a look at bing maps but my satellite internet is too poor.

I’ll try again in Europe!

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:22 - Aug 2 with 2826 viewsGeoffSentence

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:17 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

I had a look at bing maps but my satellite internet is too poor.

I’ll try again in Europe!

For walking the explorer maps are defo the ones you want. Particularly if you stray from the well marked long distance paths like the coastal path. However, that is speaking from the point of view of a landlubber, I am sure that a seasoned navigator such as yourself will have no trouble even without maps. Just go South until you hit the A14, then turn left.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:33 - Aug 2 with 2815 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:22 - Aug 2 by GeoffSentence

For walking the explorer maps are defo the ones you want. Particularly if you stray from the well marked long distance paths like the coastal path. However, that is speaking from the point of view of a landlubber, I am sure that a seasoned navigator such as yourself will have no trouble even without maps. Just go South until you hit the A14, then turn left.

I am leaning more towards a bit of a mix of the coastal path and a direct route to find some fun terrain.

When I get back to Europe I will hotspot my phone to the laptop and order all the explorer maps I think I will need. Then it will be a case of waiting to get home to actually look at them and plan my passage.

The problem with heading to the coast from Newcastle is that it’s wasted miles. Heading East when I need to be heading South. So I think I will head South and pick up a coast route around Middlesbrough. I’d like to get inland a bit too, especially around Stamford, Lincolnshire. Purely for sentimental reasons. But if it’s going to add stupid miles on, I won’t do it.

I’m not going to just pick the shortest route, I want to pick an interesting route.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:48 - Aug 2 with 2790 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:33 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

I am leaning more towards a bit of a mix of the coastal path and a direct route to find some fun terrain.

When I get back to Europe I will hotspot my phone to the laptop and order all the explorer maps I think I will need. Then it will be a case of waiting to get home to actually look at them and plan my passage.

The problem with heading to the coast from Newcastle is that it’s wasted miles. Heading East when I need to be heading South. So I think I will head South and pick up a coast route around Middlesbrough. I’d like to get inland a bit too, especially around Stamford, Lincolnshire. Purely for sentimental reasons. But if it’s going to add stupid miles on, I won’t do it.

I’m not going to just pick the shortest route, I want to pick an interesting route.

I imagine you would already be inland by the time you enter Lincolnshire. Don't know whether you can walk over the Humber Bridge which is already well 'inland'. If not then you would be somewhere near Goole, even further inland.

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:56 - Aug 2 with 2779 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:48 - Aug 2 by Tangledupin_Blue

I imagine you would already be inland by the time you enter Lincolnshire. Don't know whether you can walk over the Humber Bridge which is already well 'inland'. If not then you would be somewhere near Goole, even further inland.

Funnily enough I was going to look at seeing if you can walk across the Humber Bridge.

You been up to Tyne Dock lately?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 00:04 - Aug 3 with 2770 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

Funnily enough I was going to look at seeing if you can walk across the Humber Bridge.

You been up to Tyne Dock lately?

Not for several months. Seldom get north of Leeds these days.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024