Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country 11:55 - Dec 23 with 4128 viewsGlasgowBlue

Discuss,

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 14:57 - Dec 23 with 1885 viewsChurchman

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 12:38 - Dec 23 by itfc_bucks

I repeatedly ask this, what would you have him in jail for?

***Edited for typo***
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:44]

I fully supported Blair when he took this country to war. It was his job to make critical decisions like that. It was also his job to later provide the evidence for that war which cost 1000s of lives and did nothing to stabilise the Middle East. He failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to back his decision. Basically, he lied and for that he should have been held to account.
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:03 - Dec 23 with 1870 viewsKeaneish

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 14:57 - Dec 23 by Churchman

I fully supported Blair when he took this country to war. It was his job to make critical decisions like that. It was also his job to later provide the evidence for that war which cost 1000s of lives and did nothing to stabilise the Middle East. He failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to back his decision. Basically, he lied and for that he should have been held to account.

Why would you support anyone ever going to war?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:10 - Dec 23 with 1860 viewsbluelagos

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:03 - Dec 23 by Keaneish

Unless you are a pacifist, then war can be justified where the gains outweigh the loss of life.

When the British Army went into Sierra Leone and removed the remnants of Charles Taylor's army, we undoubtedly helped save 1000s of lives and returned a whole region to stability after a number of years war. Liberia lost 1 in 12 of it's population to the war and over 2/3 were displaced from their homes.

So there are times where picking up a gun and shooting it can be justified imho. Not that the Iraq war was one of them. There was a humanitarian argument to be made for removing Sadam but the subsequent deaths and instability demonstrate that the war was far from justified.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:31 - Dec 23 with 1840 viewsKeaneish

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:10 - Dec 23 by bluelagos

Unless you are a pacifist, then war can be justified where the gains outweigh the loss of life.

When the British Army went into Sierra Leone and removed the remnants of Charles Taylor's army, we undoubtedly helped save 1000s of lives and returned a whole region to stability after a number of years war. Liberia lost 1 in 12 of it's population to the war and over 2/3 were displaced from their homes.

So there are times where picking up a gun and shooting it can be justified imho. Not that the Iraq war was one of them. There was a humanitarian argument to be made for removing Sadam but the subsequent deaths and instability demonstrate that the war was far from justified.

In the example you’ve used, there’s a large difference between military intervention to rescue civilians to invading and occupying another country. Any war has to be a last resort at best, not an immediate answer, especially when there is no sovereign provocation or humanitarian ‘crisis’.

Agreed there was possibly a humanitarian need but others would argue and has been proven, that it should have come from within given how fractured the region is.

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:33 - Dec 23 with 1834 viewsGeoffSentence

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 12:54 - Dec 23 by cooperd5

Oxford vaccine supposedly approved on 27th Dec or so. Why not start the process now for it so when the green light is given (which it seems to be so) then jabs and people are getting it immediately, not in another week. Think we have millions of this already.
Priority is to get vaccinations going as opposed to more lockdown and tier 3/4 misery.

I think they are. Iam sure that Matt Hancock said it was being manufactured already and all the infrastructure and processes for rolling out the vaccines has been underway for some time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:35 - Dec 23 with 1826 viewsStokieBlue

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:03 - Dec 23 by Keaneish

Don't you agree that there are lots of times where military intervention is justified though?

Edit: I think you've covered it in your response to BL.

SB
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 15:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:46 - Dec 23 with 1795 viewsBlueBadger

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 14:40 - Dec 23 by Keaneish

If I’m not mistaken, he already did that and hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians were murdered for their natural wealth under the pretence of a lie. I’ll vote no for a war criminal back in office.

As opposed to the one who's letting tens(and likley hundreds by the time we're done) die through his ineptitude and cronyism now?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:46 - Dec 23 with 1792 viewsBlueBadger

Upvote for the imaginative fish, here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:48 - Dec 23 with 1781 viewssolemio

Declaring war on Germany in September, 1939? Obvious to everyone that was totally unjustified.
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 15:49 - Dec 23 with 1775 viewsMeadowlark

The Sun could not have put it better...
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 16:02 - Dec 23 with 1747 viewsTieDyedIn95

I am not sure the thousands of dead Iraqi's agree.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 16:32 - Dec 23 with 1717 viewsmonytowbray

Yay war criminals.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:33 - Dec 23 with 1683 viewsSteve_D

Didn't realise Biden needed a goffer so soon , or we needed another illegal war
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:40 - Dec 23 with 1678 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:33 - Dec 23 by Steve_D

Didn't realise Biden needed a goffer so soon , or we needed another illegal war

The Iraq War wasn't illegal. The invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein's Iraq led many countries to come together in a Coalition to declare war on Iraq and push his troops out. At the end of that stage of the conflict conditions were agreed for a Ceasefire. Saddam subsequently broke these, particularly with regard to "No Fly Zones", which his Air Force breached a number of times.

What is known as the 2nd Gulf or Iraq War is therefore, legally, a resumption of hostilities as Iraq had breached the ceasefire.
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:55 - Dec 23 with 1656 viewsKeaneish

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:40 - Dec 23 by ArnoldMoorhen

The Iraq War wasn't illegal. The invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein's Iraq led many countries to come together in a Coalition to declare war on Iraq and push his troops out. At the end of that stage of the conflict conditions were agreed for a Ceasefire. Saddam subsequently broke these, particularly with regard to "No Fly Zones", which his Air Force breached a number of times.

What is known as the 2nd Gulf or Iraq War is therefore, legally, a resumption of hostilities as Iraq had breached the ceasefire.

I think we’re all kidding ourselves if we really think the second Iraq war was about protecting Kuwait air space. Reality is there are many reasons you could cite for invading Iraq, none of them were justified or legal though - Kofi Anan said as much in ‘04 on behalf of the UN.

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 18:11 - Dec 23 with 1631 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 17:55 - Dec 23 by Keaneish

I think we’re all kidding ourselves if we really think the second Iraq war was about protecting Kuwait air space. Reality is there are many reasons you could cite for invading Iraq, none of them were justified or legal though - Kofi Anan said as much in ‘04 on behalf of the UN.

That's not the point. The UK was still at war with Iraq. A ceasefire isn't the same thing as a Peace Treaty. Therefore it wasn't illegal.

I think it was morally unjustifiable, and ultimately strategically inept. I wish for our own self interest that the UK hadn't resumed hostilities. I wish the money spent on protecting the oil supply by the UK Govt through those hostilities had been spent on pioneering alternative energy sources. Think of the lives of UK service people which would have been saved (I'm assuming the US would have gone ahead anyway, so Iraqi civilians wouldn't have been so fortunate).

Having said all that, if you have a ceasefire and your opposition breaches the terms, it is not illegal, under international law, to resume hostilities. Full stop.

So the only other way that Blair can be a War Criminal is if he personally is guilty of a war crime during the war. Which anyone suggesting that he is a War Criminal would need to specifically prove. Individual British Soldiers committing a War Crime, or whole units, would not make the Prime Minister guilty, unless he specifically ordered the illegal action.
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 21:30 - Dec 23 with 1574 viewsgazzer1999

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 18:11 - Dec 23 by ArnoldMoorhen

That's not the point. The UK was still at war with Iraq. A ceasefire isn't the same thing as a Peace Treaty. Therefore it wasn't illegal.

I think it was morally unjustifiable, and ultimately strategically inept. I wish for our own self interest that the UK hadn't resumed hostilities. I wish the money spent on protecting the oil supply by the UK Govt through those hostilities had been spent on pioneering alternative energy sources. Think of the lives of UK service people which would have been saved (I'm assuming the US would have gone ahead anyway, so Iraqi civilians wouldn't have been so fortunate).

Having said all that, if you have a ceasefire and your opposition breaches the terms, it is not illegal, under international law, to resume hostilities. Full stop.

So the only other way that Blair can be a War Criminal is if he personally is guilty of a war crime during the war. Which anyone suggesting that he is a War Criminal would need to specifically prove. Individual British Soldiers committing a War Crime, or whole units, would not make the Prime Minister guilty, unless he specifically ordered the illegal action.

Sorry that's the most feeble excuse I have ever heard to justify that Blair creature. So by your logic then Johnson is not to blame for anyone getting Covid and dying, try convincing 99% of the posters on here.
The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 21:37 - Dec 23 with 1565 viewsJ2BLUE

Hitler says hi.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Queen should ask Tony Blair to run the country on 22:16 - Dec 23 with 1530 viewschrismakin

Someone called into the Jeremy Vine show the other day and said can we get Teresa May back in to sort it out

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024