Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim White from the Telegraph... 17:42 - Feb 22 with 15643 viewsitfcjoe

....who wrote the excellent article in there last week.

Rich from Blue Monday podcast has interviewed him and pod will drop in the usual places and YouTube at 6pm.....really interesting, and JW seems adamant that there is something in this talk of takeover or something along those lines.....well worth a listen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:39 - Feb 22 with 3012 viewsPhilTWTD

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 20:31 - Feb 22 by shamboy

Hmmm. I have recently worked for Jim White. He really is a great guy. Interesting that he was at Uni in Bristol and lives in Oxford, so there are strong South West connections.

I met Jim White at a book launch at The Ivy in about 1997. Also met Kenneth Wolstenholme that day.
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:40 - Feb 22 with 2990 viewsDubtractor

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:39 - Feb 22 by blueconscience

Is that the Phone in Rich everyone loved to hate on here?

No.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:41 - Feb 22 with 2980 viewsblueconscience

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:40 - Feb 22 by Dubtractor

No.

Was just asking as he is on the other podcast pretty regularly

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:42 - Feb 22 with 2972 viewsTieDyedIn95

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 19:30 - Feb 22 by Metal_Hacker

Truth is no-one knows so easier to chill out and let matters take their natural course

Coming across citing people are getting all excited over nothing just divides fans even more

I’m a firm believer as I said last night and raised a comment , in there’s no smoke without fire

There has to be logic behind the reason for ME to have not fired PL as yet. He’s a multi million pound businessman.....a very good businessman (allegedly ) but please remember , he’s a sh1t football club owner

He’s now in his comfort zone (doing business things hopefully ) just sit back and see hat comes out

No-one knows but don’t p1ss on anyone’s hope for the future ffs

Because I don't live in fantasy land?

He's not sacked him because he's a rubbish owner. The issue ends there.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:24 - Feb 22 with 2812 viewsArnieM

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:42 - Feb 22 by TieDyedIn95

So given Lamberts record here is worse than any other manager under Evans ownership , what makes Lambert different, so much so, that Evans hasn’t yet sacked him ?

Answer , because he’s selling up and he won’t have to pay Lambert off,( that’s the consortiums responsibility) . Like him if loath him, Evans IS an astute businessman . His ABILITY to run a professional football club is an entirely different argument .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:25 - Feb 22 with 2817 viewsPhilTWTD

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 20:34 - Feb 22 by Dubtractor

What happens to the training ground, that is now owned by ME rather than the club, if he does sell?

Are there any protections on the use of that land?

As per MarshallsMullet, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't included in any sale. The new owner is going to need somewhere for the squad to train, after all.

The move to another ME company was a tax thing, club people have confirmed that and outside people who know about that sort of thing have said that that makes sense.

I believe most of it is classed as playing field land or something along those lines (this comes from a conversation I had about a decade ago so the details are a little hazy). There is one section which is less protected, if I remember rightly a section on Bent Lane which has houses on either side.
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:29 - Feb 22 with 2786 viewsPhilTWTD

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:13 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

True, but he was 13 at the time.

Just had a check and Bent was 14 when he signed.
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:38 - Feb 22 with 2734 viewsshamboy

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:39 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

I met Jim White at a book launch at The Ivy in about 1997. Also met Kenneth Wolstenholme that day.

I can't compete with that; I met him in Patisserie Valerie in Soho! His office is in Victoria, so just a short hop to The Ivy. I did some research for him for a book he is doing for his American publishers. Lovely, generous man.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 22:40]
Login to get fewer ads

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:43 - Feb 22 with 2705 viewsPhilTWTD

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:38 - Feb 22 by shamboy

I can't compete with that; I met him in Patisserie Valerie in Soho! His office is in Victoria, so just a short hop to The Ivy. I did some research for him for a book he is doing for his American publishers. Lovely, generous man.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 22:40]

Seemed a nice bloke from what I remember. Was a book about football food. I seem to remember chatting to him at a Town game at some point as well, but will have been some years ago.
This on 22:57 - Feb 22 with 2638 viewsHighgateBlue

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 19:34 - Feb 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I find it interesting how people are desperate for the takeover to happen, yet have no idea of the credibility of potential new owners.

I'd like a change of ownership, but don't one any old chancer / group of chancers to buy the club!

I'd rather a change of manager first.

Exactly. Too many people treat this like a soap opera or a game of Football Manager. "Evans out!" means nothing without saying how he is replaced, and with whom. His reign has been a failure, but any fans who think that there can't possibly be anything worse than an owner who puts in several million a year and leaves his managers to get on with it may be in for a rude awakening...
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 23:06 - Feb 22 with 2595 viewsBlueBadger

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 21:39 - Feb 22 by blueconscience

Is that the Phone in Rich everyone loved to hate on here?

No, this Rich knows what he's talking about.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 23:07 - Feb 22 with 2596 viewsreusersfreekicks

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 18:51 - Feb 22 by DanTheMan

Link for those interested:

That was a good listen - cheers
This on 23:45 - Feb 22 with 2498 viewsArnieM

This on 22:57 - Feb 22 by HighgateBlue

Exactly. Too many people treat this like a soap opera or a game of Football Manager. "Evans out!" means nothing without saying how he is replaced, and with whom. His reign has been a failure, but any fans who think that there can't possibly be anything worse than an owner who puts in several million a year and leaves his managers to get on with it may be in for a rude awakening...

But surely if the new owners don’t make the product attractive to an already alienated fan base, they’re hardly going achieve much in the “ we want to make money out if ITFC” approach are they ?

This on 23:49 - Feb 22 with 2487 viewsCoastalblue

This on 23:45 - Feb 22 by ArnieM

But surely if the new owners don’t make the product attractive to an already alienated fan base, they’re hardly going achieve much in the “ we want to make money out if ITFC” approach are they ?

What they think is attractive and what we do may turn out to be two painfully different things. Cardiff shirt colour springs to mind, US investors are not going to be looking at culture and history, they're going to be looking at spreadsheets.

I'd love a holistic owner who can make us competitive, not sure I want success regardless of methods or attitude though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This on 23:53 - Feb 22 with 2484 viewsArnieM

This on 23:49 - Feb 22 by Coastalblue

What they think is attractive and what we do may turn out to be two painfully different things. Cardiff shirt colour springs to mind, US investors are not going to be looking at culture and history, they're going to be looking at spreadsheets.

I'd love a holistic owner who can make us competitive, not sure I want success regardless of methods or attitude though.

You’re possibly correct on that. But what we do all know is we can’t keep
Going with the current regime can we. “ Slow walking into league two “ . I don’t honestly think we have a choice now , and Evans had clearly had enough . He’s had his dabble and is bored with it now.

This on 23:59 - Feb 22 with 2460 viewsCoastalblue

This on 23:53 - Feb 22 by ArnieM

Going with the current regime can we. “ Slow walking into league two “ . I don’t honestly think we have a choice now , and Evans had clearly had enough . He’s had his dabble and is bored with it now.

Don't disagree with that, the trouble is we could very easily go from a bad place to a worse one. The problem being of course, none of us who actually care have any say in the matter whatsoever.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 00:17 - Feb 23 with 2418 viewsSomethingBlue

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 22:43 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

Seemed a nice bloke from what I remember. Was a book about football food. I seem to remember chatting to him at a Town game at some point as well, but will have been some years ago.

Jim is fantastic, one of the very best. We shared an apartment in Kazan for a few days at Russia 2018. Daughter's an actress/stand-up comic who people will know from Stath Lets Flats and The Windsors!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 01:39 - Feb 23 with 2326 viewsjeera

Child-like simplicity.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 05:55 - Feb 23 with 2223 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 00:17 - Feb 23 by SomethingBlue

Jim is fantastic, one of the very best. We shared an apartment in Kazan for a few days at Russia 2018. Daughter's an actress/stand-up comic who people will know from Stath Lets Flats and The Windsors!

Perhaps you could ask him what source he has for the takeover stuff.
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 07:36 - Feb 23 with 2095 viewsblueconscience

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 23:06 - Feb 22 by BlueBadger

No, this Rich knows what he's talking about.

Fair enough, hehe

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 07:45 - Feb 23 with 2077 viewsJeff_winger

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 05:55 - Feb 23 by PrideOfTheEast

Perhaps you could ask him what source he has for the takeover stuff.

Brilliant interview, but the only thing that lets it down is he didn't push jim on where he has heard this or is he feeding off roumers.
Still a good watch
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 07:56 - Feb 23 with 2035 viewsMetal_Hacker

And you're insinuating I live in a fantasy land ?

Re-read the whole conversation and I think you'll find me personally am not and secondly he's not sacked him yet because he's a rubbish owner , there is more to it other than the "takeover"claims

Think you need to read a little more - in general

Just to claim someone is "rubbish" is slightly playgroundish I'm afraid

Poll: If it were one or the other

This on 08:02 - Feb 23 with 2004 viewsMetal_Hacker

This on 23:59 - Feb 22 by Coastalblue

Don't disagree with that, the trouble is we could very easily go from a bad place to a worse one. The problem being of course, none of us who actually care have any say in the matter whatsoever.

We could indeed go from a bad place to a worse place......we're heading there now already , it's only a matter of time if nothing changes

At least change gives us opportunity - whether it works is a different story but we can't keep doing this

Poll: If it were one or the other

This on 08:10 - Feb 23 with 1992 viewsHighgateBlue

This on 23:53 - Feb 22 by ArnieM

I'm not sure that /we/ have a choice. Only Evans can decide to sell, and only he can decide to whom he sells. He has the choice, because he owns the Club. All I'm saying is that there's absolutely no guarantee that a new owner would be any better. Too many people want him out as some sort of punishment to him, without thinking about what takes his place, and what that does to the Club.

It may be that Evans is bored with it. But he hasn't stopped putting money in, and it wasn't quite so long ago that he handed out a 5-year contract to the manager, so I can't be confident that he is bored with it.
Jim White from the Telegraph... on 08:21 - Feb 23 with 1945 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Jim White from the Telegraph... on 20:52 - Feb 22 by 66notout

Wickham doesn’t really count as one of our own, though, does he? He only transferred from the Reading academy to ours when his father had to move with his army role to Colchester.

Could say the same sort of thing about many youth products.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024