Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another academy player speaking out 18:57 - Feb 25 with 8808 viewsGeorge03

Another academy player speaking out on 20:14 - Feb 25 with 1340 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:04 - Feb 25 by Funge

A mate of mine's son was approached by those pricks up the road, to go and join their academy - his boy was 10.

He was expected to go up the A140 once a week, and on Saturday - and was told that he wouldn't be allowed to have a kickabout with his mates at school.

My mate's boy turned them down - essentially he just wanted to have a laugh with his mates at school - which is obviously the whole point.

I think you and I are in broad agreement that the whole academy thing is geared up completely incorrectly.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 20:04]

I could well be talking rubbish - but once upon a time (not that long ago) didn’t under 16s have to live within so many miles of their actual home to the club they were attached to?
Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 with 1332 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Another academy player speaking out on 19:53 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think he was looking to do that at all.

You need to read what he's posted again. He's basically saying the kid needs to toughen up and that "we were bullied as kids" as if that makes it acceptable.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 with 1325 viewsBryanPlug

Another academy player speaking out on 19:50 - Feb 25 by monytowbray

Sh1t like this is the reason abuse victims, particularly male ones, don't come forward and the whole cycle continues.

Victim shaming/blaming. Have a word with yourself.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 19:51]

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Another academy player speaking out on 20:18 - Feb 25 with 1315 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

You need to read what he's posted again. He's basically saying the kid needs to toughen up and that "we were bullied as kids" as if that makes it acceptable.

Agree to differ.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another academy player speaking out on 20:19 - Feb 25 with 1313 viewsFunge

Another academy player speaking out on 20:14 - Feb 25 by MattinLondon

I could well be talking rubbish - but once upon a time (not that long ago) didn’t under 16s have to live within so many miles of their actual home to the club they were attached to?

Nah, that rings a bell - I've got a note in my head that it was 50 miles or 90 mins drive.

That lot are 43 miles away, which is obviously nowhere near far enough.

Stand to be corrected on all of the above though.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:22 - Feb 25 with 1300 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 by BryanPlug

In a nutshell if a dick is acting like a dick on a regular basis to the same people frequently then it’s bullying.

If it’s a once -off then you can probably call it as non-bullying.

Somewhere in between then the dick is someone who likes to throw their weight around.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:23 - Feb 25 with 1297 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 by BryanPlug

Jesus wept.

Another academy player speaking out on 20:24 - Feb 25 with 1290 viewschrismakin

Another academy player speaking out on 20:19 - Feb 25 by Funge

Nah, that rings a bell - I've got a note in my head that it was 50 miles or 90 mins drive.

Wasn't that why Wickham ended up at town?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Another academy player speaking out on 20:24 - Feb 25 with 1287 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Another academy player speaking out on 20:17 - Feb 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

Thought you were putting me on ignore Bloots?

Another academy player speaking out on 20:25 - Feb 25 with 1280 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:19 - Feb 25 by Funge

I seem to recall reading something in the Evening Star in the 90s relating to the distance you said.

Maybe the FA abolished this with the advent of the academies.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:26 - Feb 25 with 1275 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 20:00 - Feb 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

Do you not think the lack of a goalkeeper coach is pretty damning/amateurish?

Maybe wait to hear the club's side of it?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another academy player speaking out on 20:27 - Feb 25 with 1273 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:24 - Feb 25 by chrismakin

Wasn't that why Wickham ended up at town?

Didn’t his dad move army bases?
Another academy player speaking out on 20:27 - Feb 25 with 1269 viewstownblue

Another academy player speaking out on 20:26 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

If it's anything like the side they gave after the training group protest, it would probably be complete BS.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:28 - Feb 25 with 1261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 20:27 - Feb 25 by townblue

If it's anything like the side they gave after the training group protest, it would probably be complete BS.

Would be good if Phil could get an interview with Klug or someone. I would respect his view.

Another academy player speaking out on 20:29 - Feb 25 with 1261 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:26 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

The trouble being, recently their record of replying to incidents, hasn’t really left that many people confident in the clubs abilities to address such concerns.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:32 - Feb 25 with 1252 viewspointofblue

Another academy player speaking out on 20:29 - Feb 25 by MattinLondon

The trouble being, recently their record of replying to incidents, hasn’t really left that many people confident in the clubs abilities to address such concerns.

And sown the seeds to question the club’s honesty - if they can lie about things so readily, despite clear proof saying otherwise, then how they can be trusted about something which is mainly behind closed doors?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Another academy player speaking out on 20:36 - Feb 25 with 1245 viewsGeorge03

Another academy player speaking out on 19:45 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

I really hope the family come out and give us the full story as to why he ate lettuce and beans, realistically he was perfectly old enough to make his own meal. I suspect he was out st meal time or refuse to eat the offering. If that is all they offered then they should be struck off the list but I doubt it

Especially when they are getting money from the club. Least they can do is provide a substantial meal.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:36 - Feb 25 with 1243 viewsBryanPlug

Another academy player speaking out on 20:28 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Would be good if Phil could get an interview with Klug or someone. I would respect his view.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Another academy player speaking out on 20:37 - Feb 25 with 1240 viewsMattinLondon

Another academy player speaking out on 20:32 - Feb 25 by pointofblue

And sown the seeds to question the club’s honesty - if they can lie about things so readily, despite clear proof saying otherwise, then how they can be trusted about something which is mainly behind closed doors?

Exactly. I always thought that academies needed to employ independent welfare officers who only answer to the FA. Maybe I’m wrong on this.
Another academy player speaking out on 20:38 - Feb 25 with 1237 viewsBluefish

Another academy player speaking out on 20:36 - Feb 25 by George03

Especially when they are getting money from the club. Least they can do is provide a substantial meal.

I expect they do. Need the full story, it wasn't they didn't provide substantial meals it was he had to have lettuce and beans. Seemed like a specific incident to me, he is an 18 year old lad there are going to be missed or rejected meals. He should be able to make himself food in that circumstance

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Another academy player speaking out on 20:40 - Feb 25 with 1236 viewshype313

Another academy player speaking out on 20:38 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

I expect they do. Need the full story, it wasn't they didn't provide substantial meals it was he had to have lettuce and beans. Seemed like a specific incident to me, he is an 18 year old lad there are going to be missed or rejected meals. He should be able to make himself food in that circumstance

Lettuce and beans? Was he lodging with the Fritzl's?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Another academy player speaking out on 20:40 - Feb 25 with 1234 viewsChrisd

To be honest, I feel this is a usual process at most clubs. Certainly players should be given more help especially those that aren’t given an extension to their contract. Like most occupations, it’s about who you know, the connections that clubs have they could play a huge part in assisting players with their next move. It is a culture shock for most once they are out of the club’s cocoon and they’ve got to fend for themselves. I do believe clubs don’t do their bit as they do have that element of fear that they might have made a mistake by letting players go especially if it was borderline decision. They still have a responsibility in a player’s welfare even if they are heading for the exit door with them.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 20:57]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Another academy player speaking out on 20:41 - Feb 25 with 1225 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 20:36 - Feb 25 by George03

We don't know any of the context there at all.

Let's not create a narrative that he was fed that for every meal.

Another academy player speaking out on 20:42 - Feb 25 with 1220 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 20:36 - Feb 25 by BryanPlug

Lol, yes, probably.

I'd rather hear from Klug.

Another academy player speaking out on 20:43 - Feb 25 with 1222 viewsGeorge03

Another academy player speaking out on 19:41 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wonder what role the parents play too.

My oldest is 7, and the amount of pushy parents is scary. All desperate for their kids to get 'scouted'. ...paying £20 for their kids to attend open trials etc.

Personally I'd rather my lad isn't scouted at a young age and can just enjoy his football.

A rule of thump I was told was told is if they are not playing couple age groups up they are unlikely to make it. The one that are playing within their age group are just there to make the numbers up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024