Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich have the best squad in League One 10:46 - Mar 28 with 4356 viewsbournemouthblue

this wasn't even true when we were first relegated

I would say it was about 6th in the league and for me the issue has always been a lack of balance

We lack pace and power through out the side. The team we started with yesterday (KVY aside) was so slow and cloggy, exactly the vision I had of bang average League One sides whenever I had seen them appearing in the FA Cup.

We have a total lack of athletes with no real agility.

Bennetts is a frustrating player but he offers us more than the motley crew we put out yesterday.

The same is true with Parrott and I think both of them improve the balance of our side if nothing else.

Dozzell and Bishop are both talented players but that's a powder puff combo in the middle of the park. We suddenly look short on options with Downes out, Skuse well off the pace, Huws a shadow of his former self and Nolan seemingly cast into the wilderness. McGavin may have done a better job in there but we can't use him either!

Norwood is the only striker who looks up to it and I like the look of Parrot but he isn't ours ultimately.

Kayden Jackson has proved to be disappointing, Sears looks a shadow of the player who McCarthy first signed, Hawkins seems to have disappeared and Drinnan looks like he is playing a league or too high.

I've no doubt Drinnan is going to work hard but he doesn't look quick enough to really make a defence sweat for me. He had a rare burst forward against someone I forget and actually looked quicker than I was expecting but that seemed to be a rare flurry where he looked up to it.

If we somehow fluked our way into the playoffs and won them, we'd need a complete squad rebuild or we could crashing back down with a similar points haul to Wycombe.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 10:57]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:54 - Mar 31 with 638 viewsBeckets

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:48 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

Cook has gone out of his way to praise them so far, and has been (from what I'm told) desperate to get Chambers back to CB to play there - but who knows how they go in the summer.

For me it feels a season too far for Sears, who jut hasn't contributed, possibly the same for Skuse who at his age has now spent a lot of time injured in the last 18 months - neither of those have "earned" a new contract for what they have done on the pitch.

Chambers a different story though, he'll again play 40+ games - as he has every season since he got here - and has performed at a consistent enough level that both managers this season have started him every week despite the relentless schedule.

If in the summer Cook decides that his race here is run, I don't think anyone will be up in arms about that decision - he has treated him with respect since he came in and not tried to be a wrecking ball....................however, if he gets a new deal (which I personally think he deserves, but can understand why he wouldn't if Cook wants a new broom) then I can guarantee there won't be the same level of respect shown to Cook's decision and a portion of the fanbase will stay on his back.

What's your gut instinct about who will survive the summer culling. I agree with you about Chambers. He deserves another season even as a squad player. One of the few players we have who is available week after week even at 35.
Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:56 - Mar 31 with 623 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:54 - Mar 31 by Beckets

What's your gut instinct about who will survive the summer culling. I agree with you about Chambers. He deserves another season even as a squad player. One of the few players we have who is available week after week even at 35.

I think there is going to be a huge cull, probably too many will go in reality and those with a bit of value liek Edwards and Bishop may be sacrificed unless they can pull their finger out in next 6 weeks.....

Cook wants squad massively streamlined

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:58 - Mar 31 with 605 viewsBeckets

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:56 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

I think there is going to be a huge cull, probably too many will go in reality and those with a bit of value liek Edwards and Bishop may be sacrificed unless they can pull their finger out in next 6 weeks.....

I think letting Bishop go would be the biggest call of the lot.
Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:59 - Mar 31 with 598 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:25 - Mar 31 by jayessess

Which would tend towards (a), wouldn't it? That they don't or can't set the tone?

The suggestion is that we need to keep them around for the positive effect they have in the dressing room and on the pitch, but we're also saying that they can't affect their teammates. Doesn't compute.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 14:25]

It computes quite easily.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:00 - Mar 31 with 597 viewshype313

I'd keep Chambers, KVY, Dozzell, Downes, Kenlock and to be honest I'm struggling to raise a case for the rest...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:02 - Mar 31 with 583 viewsjayessess

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 14:48 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

Cook has gone out of his way to praise them so far, and has been (from what I'm told) desperate to get Chambers back to CB to play there - but who knows how they go in the summer.

For me it feels a season too far for Sears, who jut hasn't contributed, possibly the same for Skuse who at his age has now spent a lot of time injured in the last 18 months - neither of those have "earned" a new contract for what they have done on the pitch.

Chambers a different story though, he'll again play 40+ games - as he has every season since he got here - and has performed at a consistent enough level that both managers this season have started him every week despite the relentless schedule.

If in the summer Cook decides that his race here is run, I don't think anyone will be up in arms about that decision - he has treated him with respect since he came in and not tried to be a wrecking ball....................however, if he gets a new deal (which I personally think he deserves, but can understand why he wouldn't if Cook wants a new broom) then I can guarantee there won't be the same level of respect shown to Cook's decision and a portion of the fanbase will stay on his back.

I had Chambers, Wilson, Nsiala and Judge on my "consider retaining if we've no-one better lined up" list. I'd have no objection to him (or any of that lot) staying on that basis.

I just wonder how the "we're so quiet, we desperately need leaders" thing fits with retaining our current senior professionals as leaders.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:05 - Mar 31 with 565 viewschicoazul

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:00 - Mar 31 by hype313

I'd keep Chambers, KVY, Dozzell, Downes, Kenlock and to be honest I'm struggling to raise a case for the rest...

Why the heck would you keep a player who is so injury prone??? Have we learned nothing???

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:07 - Mar 31 with 562 viewsBeckets

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:02 - Mar 31 by jayessess

I had Chambers, Wilson, Nsiala and Judge on my "consider retaining if we've no-one better lined up" list. I'd have no objection to him (or any of that lot) staying on that basis.

I just wonder how the "we're so quiet, we desperately need leaders" thing fits with retaining our current senior professionals as leaders.

Of the components of the team which require attention I'd put centre back at the bottom of the list and would be inclined to keep 2 out of Toto, Chambers and Wilson. We need to get Wolfenden back in the team and playing well knowing that he can be paired with an experienced partner.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:14 - Mar 31 with 548 viewsjayessess

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:05 - Mar 31 by chicoazul

Why the heck would you keep a player who is so injury prone??? Have we learned nothing???

He's under contract until 2023, so this isn't much of a discussion. Either he's injured and we can't get rid of him or he's fit and we don't want to.

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:47 - Mar 31 with 523 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 13:14 - Mar 31 by footers

Hang on. He was privately educated? Jesus wept, I hope his parents kept the receipts.

So was Frank Lampard....

https://www.independentschoolparent.com/school/football-a-class-act/

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:52 - Mar 31 with 512 viewschicoazul

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:14 - Mar 31 by jayessess

He's under contract until 2023, so this isn't much of a discussion. Either he's injured and we can't get rid of him or he's fit and we don't want to.

Fair point must admit I thought he was out of contract this summer!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 16:01 - Mar 31 with 502 viewsChrisd

Makes total sense. A far smaller pool of players to select from with a mixture of PC's own signings with some that have survived the cull from the current squad. At the moment, it is a ludicrous situation.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 16:06 - Mar 31 with 493 viewsKeaneish

I'm surprised Bishop is playing a deeper role at the moment. He looked at his best in the first 20 minutes against Lincoln (i think it was) in the number 10 role. He committed players well and caused a few problems - certainly looked more of a threat than Judge.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 16:08 - Mar 31 with 488 viewsjayessess

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 15:47 - Mar 31 by Ewan_Oozami

So was Frank Lampard....

https://www.independentschoolparent.com/school/football-a-class-act/

Patrick Bamford, James Ward-Prowse, Solly March too

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 16:12 - Mar 31 with 488 viewsPhilTWTD

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 12:47 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

You just have to look at the players outside the 18 every game, it;s silly at this level.

But it also means development has been totally screwed for younger players, as there are so many bodies between them and the first team

And too many of them, young players, who play broadly the same positions. Think the club has held on to too many too similar players coming through when they ought to have made decisions and allowed some to move on.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 17:48 - Mar 31 with 440 viewsChrisd

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 16:12 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

And too many of them, young players, who play broadly the same positions. Think the club has held on to too many too similar players coming through when they ought to have made decisions and allowed some to move on.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Spot on Phil!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 20:02 - Mar 31 with 396 viewshaynes_toe1

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 11:02 - Mar 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Hurst's record isn't remotely comparable to Cook's. Once again you show you know nothing about football.

Not what I said. Lets add making things up to the rest of your hilarious egotistical actions on an online foru .
Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 20:32 - Mar 31 with 381 viewsMullet

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 00:49 - Mar 31 by haynes_toe1

Excellent post.

Its not a coincidence that the sudden turn on the players has coincided with the day Cook walked in because of an understandable desperation to maintain the belief that he's the messiah.

You seem to have written the opposite of what I've said

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 21:18 - Mar 31 with 353 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ipswich have the best squad in League One on 20:02 - Mar 31 by haynes_toe1

Not what I said. Lets add making things up to the rest of your hilarious egotistical actions on an online foru .

You insinuated they're comparable: "He certainly has credentials at lower levels, with one promotion from this division, which is a good sign. EQUALLY, Hurts had just done well with Shrewsbury..."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024