Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy St. George’s Day 07:08 - Apr 23 with 4835 views26_Paz

Enjoy it guys.

The Paz Man

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:52 - Apr 23 with 648 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:39 - Apr 23 by Sarge

It’s not a left wing thing. The left wing is all about tolerance, respect and fairness to all - it’s why it’s the best wing. This is more of a ‘I’ve got my own catchphrases to roll out’ thing.

"The left wing is all about tolerance"

I'm just gonna leave that one there!

PMSL

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:55 - Apr 23 with 646 viewsSarge

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:52 - Apr 23 by Lord_Lucan

PMSL

I don’t think it’s particularly well demonstrated on here tbf
Happy St. George’s Day on 10:55 - Apr 23 with 642 viewsnoggin

PMSL

I guess it depends on what one considers 'left'

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:56 - Apr 23 with 644 viewsBlueLikeJazz

PMSL

Yeah, almost as funny as people bleating on about 'but MUH FLAAAG' while sh*tting on the very things that decent people would feel patriotic about.
Happy St. George’s Day on 10:57 - Apr 23 with 622 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:55 - Apr 23 by Sarge

I don’t think it’s particularly well demonstrated on here tbf

I completely take that on board.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:18 - Apr 23 with 569 viewsSwansea_Blue

What should there be tolerance for though? I would have thought views such as racism and homophobia need to be challenged; it's those kind of issues that get jumped on on here. I'd say rightly so. Irrespective of whichever side of the political spectrum you're on, challenging views that are hurtful and demeaning to others isn't intolerance, it's quite the opposite. It's standing up for the little guy and wanting equality for those who are being disadvantaged. Or showing humanity, as it's otherwise called.

We also seem to have a low threshold for trolling on here. Again, rightly so.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:22 - Apr 23 with 545 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:18 - Apr 23 by Swansea_Blue

What should there be tolerance for though? I would have thought views such as racism and homophobia need to be challenged; it's those kind of issues that get jumped on on here. I'd say rightly so. Irrespective of whichever side of the political spectrum you're on, challenging views that are hurtful and demeaning to others isn't intolerance, it's quite the opposite. It's standing up for the little guy and wanting equality for those who are being disadvantaged. Or showing humanity, as it's otherwise called.

Who are you directing your post at?

I don't see where it fits into the thread - or maybe I am thick.

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:26 - Apr 23 with 545 viewsKropotkin123

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:18 - Apr 23 by Swansea_Blue

More widely, this is a forum. So anyone thinking their comments are somehow immune to discussion - critical or otherwise - are missing the point somewhat.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:31 - Apr 23 with 521 viewsKropotkin123

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:22 - Apr 23 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't read it as directed at you, more about the forum and tolerance in general.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:45 - Apr 23 with 491 viewsKeno

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:31 - Apr 23 by Kropotkin123

I didn't read it as directed at you, more about the forum and tolerance in general.

"forum and tolerance"

Theres two words you dont often see together

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:49 - Apr 23 with 490 viewsRyorry

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:35 - Apr 23 by Kropotkin123

What isn't weird about unconditionally devoting yourself to and supporting a nation-state? Particularly when people within that nation-state can't agree on the direction the country should go in, can't agree on the depth and breadth of what it is to be English and the construct is held together with nonsense such as dragon slaying.

Don't get me wrong, I'll get involved for the world cup down the pub, but beyond that, it's not for me.

Doesn't have to be "unconditional" does it? I'd argue that *real* patriotism incorporates being extremely critical when your country is going down a horrible path, precisely because you appreciate the good things about it, & want those to continue without the bad stuff.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:51 - Apr 23 with 475 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:31 - Apr 23 by Kropotkin123

In fairness I didn't either. All I read was an OP saying Happy St George Day in the same way that people post Happy St Patricks Day etc.

I haven't read any racism or homophobia unless I have missed a page.

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:52 - Apr 23 with 482 viewsBarneycurley

Happy St. George’s Day on 10:38 - Apr 23 by Herbivore

Why wouldn't you?

Beacuse I see it in its purest sense, not politicised bit of being proud of my heritage, for the great things this country has added to the world from invention to our sporting exploits.

The only people that seem embarrassed by it are those that seek to see it from some politicised standpoint and to see it as a way to look down on people - and Dubtractor I don't mean in response to your reply.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:57 - Apr 23 with 472 viewsRyorry

Anyway, never mind all that questionable Saint stuff.

Happy Birthday Shakespeare - now there's someone who unquestionably did contribute massively, not just to our English language, culture & heritage, but those things all around the world.

And also -

R.I.P. Shakespeare
23/04/1564- 23/04/1616

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:00 - Apr 23 with 460 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:51 - Apr 23 by Lord_Lucan

In fairness I didn't either. All I read was an OP saying Happy St George Day in the same way that people post Happy St Patricks Day etc.

I haven't read any racism or homophobia unless I have missed a page.

yes, an OP who is literally one of the least genuinely patriotic people on here. I'm not taking lectures from him on loving my country.
Happy St. George’s Day on 12:03 - Apr 23 with 451 viewsSwansea_Blue

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:22 - Apr 23 by Lord_Lucan

No one especially. People were talking about tolerance, and the 'lefties are intolerant' angle has popped up on here a few times in the past. It's a bit of a long running theme. People certainly do get shouted down at times. Not always fairly, but it does seem that a lot of the time they get shouted down when voicing pretty unpleasant views. Normally followed by a ban from Phil.

PS. I certainly wasn't suggesting you were one of those spouting vile views. Mostly those don't last on here too long!
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 12:06]

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:03 - Apr 23 with 449 viewsHerbivore

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:52 - Apr 23 by Barneycurley

Beacuse I see it in its purest sense, not politicised bit of being proud of my heritage, for the great things this country has added to the world from invention to our sporting exploits.

The only people that seem embarrassed by it are those that seek to see it from some politicised standpoint and to see it as a way to look down on people - and Dubtractor I don't mean in response to your reply.

Fair dos. I just don't really get it, I guess. Where you happen to be born is really down to chance and what a country has done before the time of your birth is completely outside your control. I find it a bit odd to be proud of it, especially as such pride for the good we've done is rarely matched by comparable shame for the things we've done that are abhorrent. Each to their own though, I just genuinely don't get it.

I think another part of the problem is that patriotism has been somewhat co-opted by EDL types and their successors, who peddle a view of the country that is hugely off-putting to many of us. Patriotism is also seized upon by opportunists and populists to gloss over their own failings and often to create an us and them mentality that enables them to foment their own power. We've seen it here and in the US recently, but more dramatically still in continental Europe in the 20s and 30s. I think that's why a lot of people seek to distance themselves from patriotism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:04 - Apr 23 with 448 viewsSwansea_Blue

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:26 - Apr 23 by Kropotkin123

More widely, this is a forum. So anyone thinking their comments are somehow immune to discussion - critical or otherwise - are missing the point somewhat.

Yeah, that's true enough. And yes I was just making a general point.

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:08 - Apr 23 with 439 views26_Paz

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:00 - Apr 23 by BlueLikeJazz

yes, an OP who is literally one of the least genuinely patriotic people on here. I'm not taking lectures from him on loving my country.

I wasn’t lecturing anyone on anything. As Lucan has said I was simply wishing people a happy St. George’s day.
I can assure you my patriotism is genuine.

The Paz Man

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:10 - Apr 23 with 421 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:08 - Apr 23 by 26_Paz

I wasn’t lecturing anyone on anything. As Lucan has said I was simply wishing people a happy St. George’s day.
I can assure you my patriotism is genuine.

you can 'assure' me all you like, I can see from your posts on here that it's anything but.
Happy St. George’s Day on 12:15 - Apr 23 with 384 viewsBarneycurley

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:03 - Apr 23 by Herbivore

Fair dos. I just don't really get it, I guess. Where you happen to be born is really down to chance and what a country has done before the time of your birth is completely outside your control. I find it a bit odd to be proud of it, especially as such pride for the good we've done is rarely matched by comparable shame for the things we've done that are abhorrent. Each to their own though, I just genuinely don't get it.

I think another part of the problem is that patriotism has been somewhat co-opted by EDL types and their successors, who peddle a view of the country that is hugely off-putting to many of us. Patriotism is also seized upon by opportunists and populists to gloss over their own failings and often to create an us and them mentality that enables them to foment their own power. We've seen it here and in the US recently, but more dramatically still in continental Europe in the 20s and 30s. I think that's why a lot of people seek to distance themselves from patriotism.

'A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired"

I think the second part sums up my take on it.

Its like saying I am a proud Ipswich supporter. Based on our history and culture as a club certainly not the current mob who represent our playing staff (largely)

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:17 - Apr 23 with 378 viewslowhouseblue

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:10 - Apr 23 by BlueLikeJazz

you can 'assure' me all you like, I can see from your posts on here that it's anything but.

how exciting, a who's the most patriotic competition. that's a new one. what has paz done to be unpatriotic? he's not been burning the flag again has he?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:18 - Apr 23 with 377 viewsClapham_Junction

Happy St. George’s Day on 11:49 - Apr 23 by Ryorry

Doesn't have to be "unconditional" does it? I'd argue that *real* patriotism incorporates being extremely critical when your country is going down a horrible path, precisely because you appreciate the good things about it, & want those to continue without the bad stuff.

Exactly this. Patriotism is not thinking your country is the best; it's wanting your country to be the best, both in terms of what kind of place it is to live in, and how we treat other countries/peoples.
Happy St. George’s Day on 12:18 - Apr 23 with 373 viewsmonytowbray

Happy St. George’s Day on 07:29 - Apr 23 by BlueBadger

Ah yes, the patron saint of foreigners who come over here and stole English people's jobs,people who kill endangered species and people unable to understand the concept of safe sex.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 7:38]

The downvotes on this is one hell of a list.

GET YOUR FACTS OUT OF THE BEDROOM WHEN I’M FLAG SHAGGING.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:18 - Apr 23 with 374 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy St. George’s Day on 12:00 - Apr 23 by BlueLikeJazz

Blimey

Like many people I am in a whatsapp group with friends (it should be noted that the majority of my friends are left leaning) and one of my more militant comrades seems to be working himself up into a tiz as well.

Live and let live I say.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024