Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows 12:40 - May 3 with 5586 viewsIllinoisblue

What was worse: The Wire’s season 5 fake serial killer nonsense. Or the Sopranos black screen?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:07 - May 3 with 2343 viewsurbanblue

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 13:58 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

Edited: Here you go.

There was a very good Twitter thread that I’ll dig out where some screenwriting aficionado was talking about the different types of writers. “Plotters” who know how to drive a story and “Pantsers” who can deliver and develop characters. Often the two need to work together.

Problem with George Martin the creator of GOT is he is an out-and-out pantser – who also had responsibility for delivering the plot and an ending but couldn’t. So in this sprawl of characters and storylines going everywhere and nowhere the TV writers needed to shut down storylines and try and deliver something of a conclusion. But was always going to be a crude and largely unsatisfying ending given how non-plotted the whole thing is up to that point.

That’s the beauty of Better Call Saul which is an even better character-driven show. As a prequel we already know where it’s heading so it’s only the characters and their development that matters.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 14:01]

Have you read the books Darth? They are excellent.

GRR Martin is helluva writer and the plotting so far is excellent. The problem is that the never ending wait for the concluding books resulted in Benioff and Weiss going off on their own tangent to bring it all to a quick conclusion. Martin had apparently given them guidence as to the stories direction.

The result was ,of course, an absolute disaster. That ending was a total farce worthy of the Monty Python team. I have no doubt that if we ever see the conclusion to the novels it will be very different.
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:19 - May 3 with 2324 viewsWarkystache

Breaking Bad was excellent. The finale "Felina" was one of the best finales of a telly show I've ever seen.

I hope Better Call Saul's final season (when it eventually airs) will be as good. I'm also looking forward to the finale of Ozark.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:24 - May 3 with 2309 viewsGiant_Midget

Dexter has one of, if not the worst ending.
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:25 - May 3 with 2309 viewsDarth_Koont

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:07 - May 3 by urbanblue

Have you read the books Darth? They are excellent.

GRR Martin is helluva writer and the plotting so far is excellent. The problem is that the never ending wait for the concluding books resulted in Benioff and Weiss going off on their own tangent to bring it all to a quick conclusion. Martin had apparently given them guidence as to the stories direction.

The result was ,of course, an absolute disaster. That ending was a total farce worthy of the Monty Python team. I have no doubt that if we ever see the conclusion to the novels it will be very different.

I haven’t read them but based on the TV series it’s fair to say that the “plot” was about 20-odd character’s storylines rather than anything cohesive.

Which was great when the focus is on characters. But to wrap the story up that loose plotting was a nightmare. I can see how it was always going to be pretty unsatisfying when people were so invested in each character’s arc.

Pronouns: He/Him

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:41 - May 3 with 2290 viewsBent_double

Dexter, or Fortitude.

Two initially excellent shows, that completely lost it by the final episodes with bizarre, rushed, confusing, terrible endings.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:44 - May 3 with 2286 viewsMullet

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:03 - May 3 by N2_Blue

was only suggesting you try watch it again...and you give a silly reply like that.

No point engaging with people like you on here, always noticed you have a certain posting 'style' on here.

I'll leave you to it

Blimey, thanks for the chuckle. Probably for the best eh?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:08 - May 3 with 2267 viewsBelsteadCav

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:52 - May 3 by J2BLUE

I'm still triggered by by the GOT ending. Made no sense at all.

I’m still angry about it

Jon killing Danny was fine

But all the starks live happily ever after.... no f**king way

And the king slayer going out like that!!!?!? No f**king way

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:28 - May 3 with 2247 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:59 - May 3 by Mullet

Bizarrely I watched it in Vancouver. Cinemas across the Atlantic are weird af. They boo and clap at the end and sometimes during.

Not surprised. They can quite willingly whoop and high five the opening of an envelope on that side.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:36 - May 3 with 2239 viewsGlasgowBlue

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:08 - May 3 by BelsteadCav

I’m still angry about it

I said at the time that the killing of Danny should have been the climax to the penultimate episode. Not halfway through the last.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:41 - May 3 with 2229 viewschicoazul

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:52 - May 3 by J2BLUE

I'm still triggered by by the GOT ending. Made no sense at all.

It all made perfect sense. Why wouldn’t you want to have some omnipotent god as the king?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:50 - May 3 with 2211 viewsPerublue

Brookside.....not sure if it was good,bad....or just a piece of art....which can be viewed in many ways ranging from schite to excellence.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 17:46 - May 3 with 2151 viewsIllinoisblue

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 14:44 - May 3 by Mullet

Blimey, thanks for the chuckle. Probably for the best eh?

You and your posting style!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:13 - May 3 with 2142 viewsBlueBadger

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:45 - May 3 by Mullet

How did anyone get to episode 5 let alone season 5 of the Wire? The Bill for pretentious people innit.

I thought the Sopranos ending was decent enough to be fair. It was a bit patchy when it went all soap opera and the final seasons got it back on track.

Probably breaking bad deserves a mention. By the end it’d just stopped being good.

You like Morrsisey Mullers, I bought you'd be well down with pretentious guff that is nowhere near as good as the press make out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:28 - May 3 with 2137 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:08 - May 3 by BelsteadCav

I’m still angry about it

I had been deliberately vague so we didn't ruin it for anyone currently watching...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:34 - May 3 with 2128 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 13:58 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

Edited: Here you go.

There was a very good Twitter thread that I’ll dig out where some screenwriting aficionado was talking about the different types of writers. “Plotters” who know how to drive a story and “Pantsers” who can deliver and develop characters. Often the two need to work together.

Problem with George Martin the creator of GOT is he is an out-and-out pantser – who also had responsibility for delivering the plot and an ending but couldn’t. So in this sprawl of characters and storylines going everywhere and nowhere the TV writers needed to shut down storylines and try and deliver something of a conclusion. But was always going to be a crude and largely unsatisfying ending given how non-plotted the whole thing is up to that point.

That’s the beauty of Better Call Saul which is an even better character-driven show. As a prequel we already know where it’s heading so it’s only the characters and their development that matters.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 14:01]

Disagree. The plot was fantastic. The characters even better. It just needed a completely different conclusion. I don't have a problem with anything except the last episode. The show writers were backed into a corner if that's what they were told about how it had to end.

I get that he wanted a 'bittersweet' LOTR style ending but wow...he completely fooked it.

Truly impaired.

You're mentally deranged. (n/t) on 18:51 - May 3 with 2111 viewsBloots

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:45 - May 3 by Mullet

How did anyone get to episode 5 let alone season 5 of the Wire? The Bill for pretentious people innit.

I thought the Sopranos ending was decent enough to be fair. It was a bit patchy when it went all soap opera and the final seasons got it back on track.

Probably breaking bad deserves a mention. By the end it’d just stopped being good.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:55 - May 3 with 2099 viewswkj

TV Shows ending in a weird way seems more common than not these days. This is usually why I try to avoid spoilers and get a feel for public opinion before I binge shows. While the conclusion of Line of Duty makes sense, what ultimately let it down is they shoved everything in a rush for the last 15minutes of the show with very little clues leading up to it.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:56 - May 3 with 2098 viewsMullet

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:13 - May 3 by BlueBadger

You like Morrsisey Mullers, I bought you'd be well down with pretentious guff that is nowhere near as good as the press make out.

Much more a Smiths fan in fairness. Speaking of Nursey, Blackadder had a proper ending at least.

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:56 - May 3 with 2097 viewsDarth_Koont

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:34 - May 3 by J2BLUE

Disagree. The plot was fantastic. The characters even better. It just needed a completely different conclusion. I don't have a problem with anything except the last episode. The show writers were backed into a corner if that's what they were told about how it had to end.

I get that he wanted a 'bittersweet' LOTR style ending but wow...he completely fooked it.

Hmmm. I thought the actual plot was pretty much non-existent. Great characters (and stories about characters) but always hinting at a destination rather than looking like it really knew where it was going.

Pronouns: He/Him

You're mentally deranged. (n/t) on 18:59 - May 3 with 2081 viewsMullet

You're mentally deranged. (n/t) on 18:51 - May 3 by Bloots

You spelt cultured wrong.

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 19:07 - May 3 with 2064 viewsBlueBadger

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 15:36 - May 3 by GlasgowBlue

I said at the time that the killing of Danny should have been the climax to the penultimate episode. Not halfway through the last.

The final two series were totally rushed. The final two seasons had some good storylines that needed an extra season to properly breathe. It's pretty telling that the best episode of the final series was episode 2, where they're on the eve of the battle with the Night King.

That should have been the 'A' plot of the penultimate series with Dany's increasing isolation from the voices of reason around here being the 'B' plot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 19:14 - May 3 with 2046 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:56 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

Hmmm. I thought the actual plot was pretty much non-existent. Great characters (and stories about characters) but always hinting at a destination rather than looking like it really knew where it was going.

I see what you mean. Maybe it's because i've read the books but the plot is great IMO. It does very quickly go from all against all to fighting the whitewalkers in the tv show though.

Truly impaired.

Wearing a pair of shoes.... on 19:28 - May 3 with 2031 viewsBloots

You're mentally deranged. (n/t) on 18:59 - May 3 by Mullet

You spelt cultured wrong.

...is considered cultured up your way.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Wearing a pair of shoes.... on 19:40 - May 3 with 2013 viewsMullet

Wearing a pair of shoes.... on 19:28 - May 3 by Bloots

...is considered cultured up your way.

Sitters once again proving me right I see.....

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 19:57 - May 3 with 1994 viewsRobTheMonk

The Shield had a decent ending.

Soprano's was a cool way to end.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024