Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for making vaccines compulsory 09:40 - May 16 with 4420 viewsGlasgowBlue

“ The Bolton NHS Foundation Trust medical director said a majority of the sick patients had not been vaccinated but would have been eligible for the jabs”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-bolton-cases-coronavirus-vaccine

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:31 - May 16 with 872 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:54 - May 16 by tonybied

True, at least we'll probably reach herd immunity soon as those that don't take the vaccine will probably catch it sooner or later. The issue with that is the exposure to people who haven't had the opportunity to get vaccinated so far.

I son't tgink anyone will be issued with Covid.

However it will not be a case of some reckless fool dying because of their stupidity.

it will be a case of some cnt(s) causing possible loss of life to others, and being a huge drain on medical resources....which may well have been withdrawn from others.

I fully understand the case for civil liberties, and this being a 'possible' slippery slop.

However the danger here far over rides any case for either - and I have every faith in any UK government (red/blue/green/yellow etc) not to see, or use, this as an excuse for more questionable actions.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:31 - May 16 with 871 viewsbluelagos

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:35 - May 16 by TractorWood

No.

We should understand the reasons people aren't taking it, educate and make it incredibly easy. If people still don't take it, they are making a conscious decision.

The problem at the moment is that there are still potentially vulnerable people who have not been offered the vaccine yet.

This x 100.

Not sure what Glassers is actually proposing (his link didn't make a case) and struggling to see any suggestions that are not going to be counter productive.

Also am not aware of any country in the world where they are compulsory, and for good reason. It would reduce take up as the anti-vaccers would go into overdrive with their conspiracy nonsense. It would feed their false narratives and lead to less take up amongst those suspectable to those messages.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:33 - May 16 with 862 viewsTrequartista

I think that makes the case for personal responsibility. I cannot think of a realistic scenario where i would ever agree with compulsory vaccination.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:37 - May 16 with 835 viewseireblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:25 - May 16 by chicoazul

“Here are some words”

Well spotted.

Next step is comprehension.

Then after that you could start to make rationale argument, rather than just emoting.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:38 - May 16 with 831 viewsXYZ

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:31 - May 16 by bluelagos

This x 100.

Not sure what Glassers is actually proposing (his link didn't make a case) and struggling to see any suggestions that are not going to be counter productive.

Also am not aware of any country in the world where they are compulsory, and for good reason. It would reduce take up as the anti-vaccers would go into overdrive with their conspiracy nonsense. It would feed their false narratives and lead to less take up amongst those suspectable to those messages.

Looks like stoking up some division leaving yourself a "get out" clause for later to me. Tory tactic.

A bit like "... some people are saying we should just let it run riot ..."

Light the fuse and run off home for your tea.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:38 - May 16 with 825 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:20 - May 16 by chicoazul

I think the idea of making people have the vaccine, as per your threat title, is pretty sick. That’s how this works.
Tell us more about the mechanics of making it compulsory though, please, if that’s what you want to do.

How do you think the world got rid of smallpox? Would you have been prepared to catch that disease (mortality rate 30% from the more common form) just by going about your normal life?

Speaking btw as someone whose Mum developed encephalitis & nearly died as a result of having the smallpox jab in the 1970s.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:38 - May 16 with 824 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:37 - May 16 by eireblue

Well spotted.

Next step is comprehension.

Then after that you could start to make rationale argument, rather than just emoting.

Rational.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:40 - May 16 with 808 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:38 - May 16 by Ryorry

How do you think the world got rid of smallpox? Would you have been prepared to catch that disease (mortality rate 30% from the more common form) just by going about your normal life?

Speaking btw as someone whose Mum developed encephalitis & nearly died as a result of having the smallpox jab in the 1970s.

Was the smallpox vaccine compulsory? I have no idea.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:41 - May 16 with 801 viewsbluelagos

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:38 - May 16 by Ryorry

By education/convincing people to take the vaccine. Not by adopting compulsion.

A lesson some would do well to learn Ryorry :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:45 - May 16 with 784 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:41 - May 16 by bluelagos

It was successful because it was compulsory early doors.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:46 - May 16 with 779 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:29 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. Plenty of threads on the stupidity of the Tories etc etc. This is about whether vaccines should be compulsory.

There will always be variants of concern. This virus isn't going away anytime soon. Unless you are happy living a virtual life in lockdown for the rest of your days then the only way out of this is the vaccine. It stops serious illness and hospitalisations.

So if those now overwhelming the hospitals in Bolton are of an age where they have been eligible for a vaccine but have decided to decline, should vaccines be compulsory?

Overwhelming? The quote from your link “Whilst the numbers of people in the hospital with Covid-19 are still currently low compared to previous peaks, we have seen a modest increase in patients admitted with confirmed Covid-19 over the last week. A small number are requiring intensive care.”

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:47 - May 16 with 773 viewsBlueBadger

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:29 - May 16 by Swansea_Blue

And the other problem of course is the burden on frontline NHS. The poor sods have had a bad enough 14+ months. The last thing they need is to be looking after morons who could have avoided being there.

Hah! We're well used to 'morons who shouldn't be there' in A&E!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:52 - May 16 with 759 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:33 - May 16 by Trequartista

I think that makes the case for personal responsibility. I cannot think of a realistic scenario where i would ever agree with compulsory vaccination.

You seem to conveniently miss the point - this impacts on others
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:53 - May 16 with 756 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:41 - May 16 by bluelagos

I'll just add to my previous reply btw, that if any of the symptoms of Covid19 had resembled the symptoms of say Ebola, or Bubonic Plague, I have no doubt that the number of "refuseniks" would be minimal.

The absence of any such overtly horrible symptoms with Covid19, making it a literally invisible threat to those whose braincells are too few or too lacking to comprehend the dangers, are the virus' greatest asset. Blood coming from the mouths or ears of infected people would soon have refuseniks running screaming to the nearest vacc centre, begging for the needles to get stuck into their arms.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:53 - May 16 with 756 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:47 - May 16 by BlueBadger

Hah! We're well used to 'morons who shouldn't be there' in A&E!

Maybe stupidly, but I thought when we were in and out of hospital during November-December and A and E was a ghost town at every place we went, people might learn.

One of the other big issues I've learnt is poverty means parents send their kids to A and E for even the smallest things such as plasters and pain killers because they are so in the habit of sitting there rather than paying for stuff at a chemist. Seems utterly barmy to me, but I get their logic as it presumably becomes habitual to go to A and E EVERY time.

Must be a hard to gather figure how much money is wasted because of the knock ons of the poverty austerity has created and deepened so sharply.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The case for making vaccines compulsory (n/t) on 12:57 - May 16 with 746 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:40 - May 16 by chicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:01 - May 16 with 737 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:40 - May 16 by chicoazul

your second sentence would help newer readers if it was added to all your comments in the general section

as to your first sentence maybe these words might help

Google - smallpox vaccine UK
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:04 - May 16 with 730 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:01 - May 16 by HARRY10

your second sentence would help newer readers if it was added to all your comments in the general section

as to your first sentence maybe these words might help

Google - smallpox vaccine UK

I wasnt talking to you Harold you rude dunce.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 13:05]

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:05 - May 16 with 730 viewsMr_J

It's all very well saying vaccines should be compulsory, but how would that work? Like practically how would you do it for those who refused? Forcibly restrain them and stick needles in them? That's not going to happen.

We are approaching a point where every adult who wants a vaccine will have had one, at that point (along with shutting borders to prevent mutations from overseas) we should open up the country, because what else can we do?
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:06 - May 16 with 719 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:45 - May 16 by Ryorry

It was successful because it was compulsory early doors.

It was compulsory for a relatively short time before mass protests brought that policy to a swift end. The Government at the time realised that making it compulsory actually made people less likely to take it.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:07 - May 16 with 719 viewsTrequartista

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:52 - May 16 by HARRY10

You seem to conveniently miss the point - this impacts on others

No i do understand it could spread to those not yet vaccinated. My first line was a direct response to the quote, my second line was my overall opinion even taking the spread to the unvaccinated into account.

I advocate vaccinating enough people to reach herd immunity over compulsory vaccination.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:10 - May 16 with 707 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:05 - May 16 by Mr_J

It's all very well saying vaccines should be compulsory, but how would that work? Like practically how would you do it for those who refused? Forcibly restrain them and stick needles in them? That's not going to happen.

We are approaching a point where every adult who wants a vaccine will have had one, at that point (along with shutting borders to prevent mutations from overseas) we should open up the country, because what else can we do?

By extension. Do we then deny access to public services for the non-vaccinated and ghettoise them? It's been incredibly stressful dealing with uncompliant children several times an hour, several times a day for months on end (staff who should know better too).

Is it therefore reasonable to insist the unvaccinated are denied places at public schools, and hospitals etc? Should the majority tolerate the refusal of fact and selfishness of people?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:14 - May 16 with 702 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:10 - May 16 by Mullet

By extension. Do we then deny access to public services for the non-vaccinated and ghettoise them? It's been incredibly stressful dealing with uncompliant children several times an hour, several times a day for months on end (staff who should know better too).

Is it therefore reasonable to insist the unvaccinated are denied places at public schools, and hospitals etc? Should the majority tolerate the refusal of fact and selfishness of people?

Pregnant women for instance, “should be denied places at public schools, hospitals etc”?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:14 - May 16 with 697 viewsJ2BLUE

I will happily argue in favour of vaccine passports but this is a step too far IMO. It would also almost certainly pour petrol on the anti-vaxxer fire and have a negative overall impact.

As someone else said, educate, make it easy and maybe even offer some sort of incentive if that's what it takes but the second it's mandatory the resistance will increase massive.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:15 - May 16 with 693 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:06 - May 16 by The_Last_Baron

It was compulsory for a relatively short time before mass protests brought that policy to a swift end. The Government at the time realised that making it compulsory actually made people less likely to take it.

Well if you want to call 1853-1971 "a relatively short time" that's up to you I suppose. Personally, I wouldn't.

UK compulsory vaccination against it ceased in 1971 because the disease had been all but eradicated, and had ceased to be endemic in the United Kingdom since the 1930s.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024