Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for making vaccines compulsory 09:40 - May 16 with 4417 viewsGlasgowBlue

“ The Bolton NHS Foundation Trust medical director said a majority of the sick patients had not been vaccinated but would have been eligible for the jabs”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-bolton-cases-coronavirus-vaccine

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:17 - May 16 with 998 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:14 - May 16 by chicoazul

Pregnant women for instance, “should be denied places at public schools, hospitals etc”?

Quite. Although during the pandemic pregnant women were sent/kept at home from schools (especially once the guidance was mae clearer) so it only really works for hospitals, assuming you count them as refusers and not unable to be vaccinated.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:17 - May 16 with 998 viewsTrequartista

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:05 - May 16 by Mr_J

It's all very well saying vaccines should be compulsory, but how would that work? Like practically how would you do it for those who refused? Forcibly restrain them and stick needles in them? That's not going to happen.

We are approaching a point where every adult who wants a vaccine will have had one, at that point (along with shutting borders to prevent mutations from overseas) we should open up the country, because what else can we do?

I immediately think of Alex in a Clockwork Orange when i hear the term compulsory vaccination, but i suppose in reality it will be just be against the law not to have the vaccine and be punishable by fines / prison.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:19 - May 16 with 985 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:14 - May 16 by chicoazul

Pregnant women for instance, “should be denied places at public schools, hospitals etc”?

There'll always be those who can't have the jabs for various medical reasons, obviously they should be exempt.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:19 - May 16 with 979 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:17 - May 16 by Mullet

Quite. Although during the pandemic pregnant women were sent/kept at home from schools (especially once the guidance was mae clearer) so it only really works for hospitals, assuming you count them as refusers and not unable to be vaccinated.

So do you think the unvaccinated should be “denied” in the ways you suggest?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:20 - May 16 with 972 viewsKropotkin123

Not sure how you'd force people, especially people protesting.

Also, worst case scenario and there are long-term implications. What then?

Reminds me, I should book my second shot this coming week.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:23 - May 16 with 959 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:19 - May 16 by chicoazul

So do you think the unvaccinated should be “denied” in the ways you suggest?

I never suggested I did.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:23 - May 16 with 958 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:06 - May 16 by The_Last_Baron

It was compulsory for a relatively short time before mass protests brought that policy to a swift end. The Government at the time realised that making it compulsory actually made people less likely to take it.

'mass protests'

another rightie making up things

it was removed, for much the same reason Zeppelin warnings ended in 1919
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:25 - May 16 with 941 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:17 - May 16 by Trequartista

I immediately think of Alex in a Clockwork Orange when i hear the term compulsory vaccination, but i suppose in reality it will be just be against the law not to have the vaccine and be punishable by fines / prison.

Nuremberg Code.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:26 - May 16 with 935 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:23 - May 16 by Mullet

I never suggested I did.

I know you didn’t, that’s why I’m asking.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:28 - May 16 with 919 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:19 - May 16 by Ryorry

There'll always be those who can't have the jabs for various medical reasons, obviously they should be exempt.

Exempt why? Don’t they carry or transmit the virus then? One could say, well you got pregnant in full possession of the facts about the vaccine, so the consequences are you can’t go to the pub or the cinema.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:29 - May 16 with 916 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:14 - May 16 by J2BLUE

I will happily argue in favour of vaccine passports but this is a step too far IMO. It would also almost certainly pour petrol on the anti-vaxxer fire and have a negative overall impact.

As someone else said, educate, make it easy and maybe even offer some sort of incentive if that's what it takes but the second it's mandatory the resistance will increase massive.

Unfortunately the resistance is already massive, and anti-vaxxers + other conspiracy theory nutters have been pouring petrol & fanning the flames on social media for months - it's way past controlling.

I take your & BL's points, but some people just don't want to be educated.

I'm not sure whether they're compulsory now, but when I was a kid, BCG (anti TB) & anti-Tetanus jabs were also compulsory, usually given by school nurses. We seem to have lost sight of concepts like "for the greater good" tho, and/or are unwilling to accept them.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:31 - May 16 with 903 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:26 - May 16 by chicoazul

I know you didn’t, that’s why I’m asking.

I don't see how you can, or make a reasonable case for it unless those people are the impediment to us returning to normality.

The government has made such a disaster of this and killed so many people needlessly, the only logical case right now is the BL3 postcode and surrounds. If you localised measures now and educated people whilst facilitating them being able to protect others then it makes an unpalatable scenario better.

I would like to see stronger sanctions and prosecutions for those high profile grifters spreading anti-vax nonsense though. But given the Tories fondness of Russian ways and means, it'd be yet another hypocrisy from them I guess.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:31 - May 16 with 902 viewsFreddies_Ears

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:15 - May 16 by chicoazul

I am, but I don’t care if you don’t like it or find it in bad taste. The idea these vaccines should be mandatory is utterly disgusting, just like these vaccine passports so many on here espouse. The people not having the vaccine include many of the people you were all clapping from your doorstep a year ago. As so often TWTD finds itself on the side of the authoritarians. What’s the plan lads, van loads of jackbooted thugs roaming Bolton and east London sticking needles in the arms of the refuseniks?

Maybe impose healthcare charges on anyone who has not had the vaccine when they should have done, if they then get Covid? That leaves the choice as to whether to get jabbed or not, but avoids NHS picking up the bill for that person.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:32 - May 16 with 896 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:28 - May 16 by chicoazul

Exempt why? Don’t they carry or transmit the virus then? One could say, well you got pregnant in full possession of the facts about the vaccine, so the consequences are you can’t go to the pub or the cinema.

The number of exemptions would be sufficiently small to allow herd immunity to be successful.

The numbers of anti-vaxxers are far greater than the number of exemptions unfortunately.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:35 - May 16 with 880 viewsJ2BLUE

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:29 - May 16 by Ryorry

Unfortunately the resistance is already massive, and anti-vaxxers + other conspiracy theory nutters have been pouring petrol & fanning the flames on social media for months - it's way past controlling.

I take your & BL's points, but some people just don't want to be educated.

I'm not sure whether they're compulsory now, but when I was a kid, BCG (anti TB) & anti-Tetanus jabs were also compulsory, usually given by school nurses. We seem to have lost sight of concepts like "for the greater good" tho, and/or are unwilling to accept them.

I appreciate that but I wonder how many people who are a bit fearful are deciding to have it purely because they don't have to?

Also, this might be considered by some to be complete rubbish and feel free to say so if you agree, but this seems a slippery slope. If we penalise people for needing NHS care because they haven't got the vaccine do we do the same with people who need NHS care because they smoke? Or they are overweight? Or they've got pissed up on a Friday night and fallen down? Or 'accidentally' sat on a pineapple?

Believe me, i'll be livid if we get some new variant putting us back at square one because people refused the vaccine but I really don't see how we can make it mandatory. Do we physically drag people to the centre, restrain them and force them to have it? It's not practical.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:50 - May 16 with 845 viewsGaryCooper

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:10 - May 16 by Mullet

By extension. Do we then deny access to public services for the non-vaccinated and ghettoise them? It's been incredibly stressful dealing with uncompliant children several times an hour, several times a day for months on end (staff who should know better too).

Is it therefore reasonable to insist the unvaccinated are denied places at public schools, and hospitals etc? Should the majority tolerate the refusal of fact and selfishness of people?

It was widely suggested on here last year, that anti lockdown protestors and non mask wearers should be refused NHS treatment if catching Covid, why are the same people not advocating this barbaric action for anti vaxxers? Strange.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 14:07 - May 16 with 816 viewsjaykay

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:06 - May 16 by The_Last_Baron

It was compulsory for a relatively short time before mass protests brought that policy to a swift end. The Government at the time realised that making it compulsory actually made people less likely to take it.

is this what donald called fake news ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 14:09 - May 16 with 809 viewsSpruceMoose

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:50 - May 16 by GaryCooper

It was widely suggested on here last year, that anti lockdown protestors and non mask wearers should be refused NHS treatment if catching Covid, why are the same people not advocating this barbaric action for anti vaxxers? Strange.

Widely suggested = Gary saw one or two posters make mention of something and has now decided it was a commonly accepted point of view on here.

Strange indeed.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 14:21]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 14:28 - May 16 with 772 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:35 - May 16 by J2BLUE

I appreciate that but I wonder how many people who are a bit fearful are deciding to have it purely because they don't have to?

Also, this might be considered by some to be complete rubbish and feel free to say so if you agree, but this seems a slippery slope. If we penalise people for needing NHS care because they haven't got the vaccine do we do the same with people who need NHS care because they smoke? Or they are overweight? Or they've got pissed up on a Friday night and fallen down? Or 'accidentally' sat on a pineapple?

Believe me, i'll be livid if we get some new variant putting us back at square one because people refused the vaccine but I really don't see how we can make it mandatory. Do we physically drag people to the centre, restrain them and force them to have it? It's not practical.

Of course the smallpox, BCG, Tetanus etc vaccs worked because the timescale was long, so we could adminster them to schoolkids for future protection - the kids had no choice because parents & schools all agreed.

Not sure what's changed in the mindset of modern parents - social media, greater freedoms & choices, less compliancy than pre, say 1970s? But also we don't have the luxury of a long time-frame with Covid.

I have no answer re the practicalities, except to say that if Johnson & co made it compulsory to have the jabs, incorporating people being sedated & strapped down till doses were in arms, that'd at least probably ensure the rapid booting out of this ghastly govt. when no other opposition seems to be doing the job! #EveryCloud

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 15:44 - May 16 with 736 viewsMullet

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:50 - May 16 by GaryCooper

Maybe a lot has changed in a year? You’ll have to give us something to work with

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 16:02 - May 16 with 707 viewsStokieBlue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:40 - May 16 by chicoazul

Was the smallpox vaccine compulsory? I have no idea.

Smallpox vaccinations were mandatory for newborns from 1853 in the UK and the policy was discontinued in 1971.

I believe the only country which currently has mandatory vaccinations is France which requires children to have 11 mandatory vaccinations. If these aren't taken the the child cannot attend school. I am guessing this in an attempt to counter the very low uptake of vaccinations in France.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 16:22 - May 16 with 675 viewsHARRY10

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 13:31 - May 16 by Freddies_Ears

Maybe impose healthcare charges on anyone who has not had the vaccine when they should have done, if they then get Covid? That leaves the choice as to whether to get jabbed or not, but avoids NHS picking up the bill for that person.

And if they similarly refuse treatment - are they to be left in the community with all the incumbent risks ?

As it stands the law cannot force anyone to have a vaccination. What it can do is to enforce isolation on those with infectious disease to isolate - as with current legislation on quarantine.

The problem there is when you have a government like the current one, the law seems to be in favour of private profit before public health. Thus giving rise to the thought that law is not an ass, but that allowing an ass to apply the law is the real problems.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 16:56 - May 16 with 646 viewsGaryCooper

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 16:02 - May 16 by StokieBlue

Smallpox vaccinations were mandatory for newborns from 1853 in the UK and the policy was discontinued in 1971.

I believe the only country which currently has mandatory vaccinations is France which requires children to have 11 mandatory vaccinations. If these aren't taken the the child cannot attend school. I am guessing this in an attempt to counter the very low uptake of vaccinations in France.

SB

Why does France have a low vaccine uptake? Religious beliefs? C'est la vie?
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 17:13 - May 16 with 626 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 16:56 - May 16 by GaryCooper

Why does France have a low vaccine uptake? Religious beliefs? C'est la vie?

Dunno for sure, but they've often tended to be independent/alternative minded - strikes, vive la revolution etc.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 18:11 - May 16 with 587 viewseireblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 17:13 - May 16 by Ryorry

Dunno for sure, but they've often tended to be independent/alternative minded - strikes, vive la revolution etc.

Perhaps because they haven’t yet fully weaned themselves off the medicines based on that other theory that was knocking about when vaccines were thought to be a good thing.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190710-outrage-france-govt-cancels-coverage-homeop

Surely someone really should do some testing to work out which is most effective.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024