Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... 08:29 - Jun 8 with 19100 viewsitfcjoe

....according to the Times today.

Just seems so pointless to carry on as we are, when things are basically unlocked and it no doubt spreading quickly compared to how things change at June 21st.

Just sack off international travel for the year, end the lockdown and get the country vaccinated.

I'm just so bored of it all now, especially when such a vast %age of the population is vaccinated.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:14 - Jun 10 with 879 viewsSwailsey

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:23 - Jun 10 by blueconscience

breathing fresh air all the time would be a nice thing to be allowed to do again.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 7:24]

What?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:20 - Jun 10 with 867 viewsSwailsey

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:35 - Jun 10 by blueconscience

I need to live where you are, as the shops here would never let me in without a mask!!!

What?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:23 - Jun 10 with 853 viewsHerbivore

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:35 - Jun 10 by blueconscience

I need to live where you are, as the shops here would never let me in without a mask!!!

Yeah, shops are definitely where you go to get fresh air. Jesus wept.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:37 - Jun 10 with 819 viewslowhouseblue

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:38 - Jun 10 by footers

I did.

And considering you've been calling for an end to restrictions basically since it started, it really doesn't make that much of a difference from my point of view. You've been consistently irresponsible, callous and selfish throughout the pandemic - and now it's your cricket tickets that are bothering you. Yawn.

Edit: lowhouse upvoting the Paz man... Lol.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 7:39]

seemed his first post was a reasonable attempt to sum up the pros and cons and admitted that the didn't have the answer. you just weighed in in the usual way with your brain set on attack. same old same old.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:43 - Jun 10 with 797 viewsSwailsey

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:23 - Jun 10 by Herbivore

Yeah, shops are definitely where you go to get fresh air. Jesus wept.

I personally am sick and tired of having to have my hands restricted by gloves when pulling up nettles.

When will it end? I want my country back.

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:46 - Jun 10 with 790 viewsfooters

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:37 - Jun 10 by lowhouseblue

seemed his first post was a reasonable attempt to sum up the pros and cons and admitted that the didn't have the answer. you just weighed in in the usual way with your brain set on attack. same old same old.

A reasonable attempt from someone who's downplayed the virus since it's been here? Yeah, sorry I'm not really onboard with his selfishness and don't feel any sympathy about cricket tickets.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:50 - Jun 10 with 772 views26_Paz

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:46 - Jun 10 by footers

A reasonable attempt from someone who's downplayed the virus since it's been here? Yeah, sorry I'm not really onboard with his selfishness and don't feel any sympathy about cricket tickets.

It was very clear in the post that the cricket tickets were simply an example.

The Paz Man

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:40 - Jun 10 with 694 viewsblueconscience

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:43 - Jun 10 by Swailsey

I personally am sick and tired of having to have my hands restricted by gloves when pulling up nettles.

Sort of response I expected here

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Login to get fewer ads

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:42 - Jun 10 with 701 viewsDanTheMan

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:40 - Jun 10 by blueconscience

To be fair, your point makes little sense.

You complained you can't go get fresh air (which you can) and then clarified by that by saying you're forced to wear a mask indoors.

Doesn't make any sense. Maybe if you thought about what you were saying you'd get better responses.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:48 - Jun 10 with 683 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:49 - Jun 9 by StokieBlue

What?

I clearly said the graphs are showing admissions not cases. The graph even says it's admissions to hospital so it's got nothing at all to do with surge testing or asymptomatic infections.

To be honest, your position has been "live with it" since March 2020. It's younger people who are turning up in hospital at the moment, pretty easy for you to say live with it from your double-dosed protection.

What is the problem is waiting until the 20th or even a few weeks later so that we have more data and then make the decision? The government said it should be data driven if there is a variant so why are people upset about following the roadmap as it was laid out months ago?

Nobody is saying simply extend lockdown, they are saying that the decision should be totally based on the science - how can anyone disagree with that?

SB
[Post edited 9 Jun 2021 7:51]

I am no mathematician so does the log scale refer to an absolute number of admissions...are they cumulative....how many 18to 24 year olds are currently hospitalised with covid, if you know?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:53 - Jun 10 with 670 viewsSwailsey

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:40 - Jun 10 by blueconscience

Logic?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:53 - Jun 10 with 669 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone else noticed the increasing trend for wearing a mask under the nose!

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:55 - Jun 10 with 661 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:43 - Jun 10 by Swailsey

You woos....!

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:21 - Jun 10 with 619 viewsStokieBlue

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:48 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I am no mathematician so does the log scale refer to an absolute number of admissions...are they cumulative....how many 18to 24 year olds are currently hospitalised with covid, if you know?

A log scale uses the percentage change to plot points rather than an equally spaced scale like a linear graph. This is done because if there is a steep rise (such as with an exponential curve) a linear scale would be awful to plot.

A log scale still allows you to see the numbers though, just go across to the axis and it looks like around 150 but that's an increase on the numbers before.

Once again though, data at the moment is pretty irrelevant because it's all laggy, we need to wait a few weeks to get the true indication, especially if we are in the flattish part of an exponential curve at the moment.

It's not a perfect example but you can see what I mean by laggy by looking at a rolling average. More recent events take a while to affect the overall picture and it's similar with C19. People getting infected recently won't tend to impact hospital admissions or case numbers for a while and the problem in increased by the fact that once the gradient starts increasing on any exponential growth then the numbers increase very rapidly.

3,3,3,3,3,3,3 = 3
3,3,3,3,3,3,7 = 3.6
3,3,3,3,3,7,9 = 4.4
3,3,3,3,7,9,11 = 5.57
3,3,3,7,9,11,13 = 7
3,3,7,9,11,13,17 = 9
3,7,9,11,13,17,21 = 11.6
7,9,11,13,17,21,25 = 14.3

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:24 - Jun 10 with 606 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 10:55 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

You woos....!

Indeed. Proper gardeners cut Blackthorn hedges in their pants, barefooted, in the middle of winter.
They don’t know their born.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:30 - Jun 10 with 584 viewsitfcjoe

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:49 - Jun 9 by StokieBlue

What?

I clearly said the graphs are showing admissions not cases. The graph even says it's admissions to hospital so it's got nothing at all to do with surge testing or asymptomatic infections.

To be honest, your position has been "live with it" since March 2020. It's younger people who are turning up in hospital at the moment, pretty easy for you to say live with it from your double-dosed protection.

What is the problem is waiting until the 20th or even a few weeks later so that we have more data and then make the decision? The government said it should be data driven if there is a variant so why are people upset about following the roadmap as it was laid out months ago?

Nobody is saying simply extend lockdown, they are saying that the decision should be totally based on the science - how can anyone disagree with that?

SB
[Post edited 9 Jun 2021 7:51]

The Govt have never targeted a zero covid approach here, rightly or wongly, and the vaccine has always been seen as the way out of this.

At what point the number of deaths/hospital admissions is at an 'acceptable level' is not anything we know but at some point that decision will be made.

Do we think overwhelming NHS is only real concern with numbers at the moment?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 567 viewsElderGrizzly

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:30 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

The Govt have never targeted a zero covid approach here, rightly or wongly, and the vaccine has always been seen as the way out of this.

At what point the number of deaths/hospital admissions is at an 'acceptable level' is not anything we know but at some point that decision will be made.

It's a huge % of the reasons for keeping some restrictions. Hospitalisations for Covid growing at 19% a week

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:40 - Jun 10 with 560 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 08:02 - Jun 9 by Herbivore

It wouldn't really be extending lockdown anyway. Where we are now is not lockdown in any way, shape, or form. In fact we've never had lockdown to the extent it was imposed in many other countries. And now we can go to the pub, shops, cinema, fans are back at sporting events. I never realised TWTD had so many dedicated clubbers desperate to hit the dance floor.

This is probably the most sensible reply on this thread. I’m venturing out to have dinner with Mrs SSB on Saturday evening. We have been asked to wear masks until we are seated and if we visit the loo. No big deal at all. It will be the first time we have been to eat out since September. Both of us are double dosed and feel quite comfortable about the evening out.
I’m certainly for holding back the final easing of restrictions for a few more weeks at least. Imagine the meltdown in August if we can’t visit PR for the football because of a big spike again.
As you have rightly said, the current situation doesn’t really seem like that much of a hardship and we can go about our business pretty much ok.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:47 - Jun 10 with 536 viewsStokieBlue

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:30 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

"At what point the number of deaths/hospital admissions is at an 'acceptable level' is not anything we know but at some point that decision will be made."

I agree that at some point a decision should be made but making any decision without the required amount of information is always a bad move.

"Do we think overwhelming NHS is only real concern with numbers at the moment?"

We simply don't know, that is why decisions shouldn't be made now and should be made as close to possible as the 21st. Ideally they would be made a couple of weeks after the 21st when any exponential growth will have kicked in. The problem with making the decision too early is that with exponential growth things look fine and manageable but they very quickly turn to unmanageable. Now it's possible to predict when we should see that growth if it exists so any decisions should be made at that point when the information is available.

For instance, look at the below:

If we say that we are currently 3 squares in and than the 21st is 6 squares in and the 5th July is 9 squares in we can see that if the decision is made too early we open up and the cases rocket, waiting 2 weeks gives far more clarity and leads to informed decision making.

Myself and others aren't saying scrap the opening (although once again we aren't very locked down at the moment), we are just saying lets make and informed decision based on the data because at the moment some experts are saying the infections are growing exponentially.

So either wait until the last minute before 21st to decide or delay 2 weeks and then decide. As it stands we simply don't know if it's fully exponential growth and we don't know if the NHS will be overwhelmed. We need to remember there are still a lot of adults and younger people with 1 or 0 vaccinations.

In the end I am sure we all want things to be opened up, I am also sure we don't want things to be locked down again and that is the risk of going too early.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:58 - Jun 10 with 513 viewsitfcjoe

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:47 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

"At what point the number of deaths/hospital admissions is at an 'acceptable level' is not anything we know but at some point that decision will be made."

I agree that at some point a decision should be made but making any decision without the required amount of information is always a bad move.

"Do we think overwhelming NHS is only real concern with numbers at the moment?"

We simply don't know, that is why decisions shouldn't be made now and should be made as close to possible as the 21st. Ideally they would be made a couple of weeks after the 21st when any exponential growth will have kicked in. The problem with making the decision too early is that with exponential growth things look fine and manageable but they very quickly turn to unmanageable. Now it's possible to predict when we should see that growth if it exists so any decisions should be made at that point when the information is available.

For instance, look at the below:

If we say that we are currently 3 squares in and than the 21st is 6 squares in and the 5th July is 9 squares in we can see that if the decision is made too early we open up and the cases rocket, waiting 2 weeks gives far more clarity and leads to informed decision making.

Myself and others aren't saying scrap the opening (although once again we aren't very locked down at the moment), we are just saying lets make and informed decision based on the data because at the moment some experts are saying the infections are growing exponentially.

So either wait until the last minute before 21st to decide or delay 2 weeks and then decide. As it stands we simply don't know if it's fully exponential growth and we don't know if the NHS will be overwhelmed. We need to remember there are still a lot of adults and younger people with 1 or 0 vaccinations.

In the end I am sure we all want things to be opened up, I am also sure we don't want things to be locked down again and that is the risk of going too early.

SB

I do think there is an OTT attitude from some that if you are keen to get restrictions lifted it's because you want to kill people where for me the view is just that the majority of people have had vaccine now, and those that haven't, in theory, are those less likely to go into hospital.

The tough point for me, is that if the hospital admissions are rising because a number of people in vulnerable categories who have been offered jabs and not taking them then it leaves the country between a rock and a hard place. But not studied data properly on whether that is the case.

If those people are getting ill, and overhwelming NHS then what can you do if vaccines aren't mandatory - there becomes an issue we never get out of it!

Tiered systems didn't work well last time, but there are areas where hospital admissions are steady, or even decreasing (NW) that in a week or so there may need to be a rethink

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:19 - Jun 10 with 493 viewsSpruceMoose

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 07:28 - Jun 10 by 26_Paz

From a purely personal perspective I’ve already lost my euro 2020 ticket … I’ve got tickets to a 20/20 and the July 1st ODI that will likely go if the 21st is extended.
I’m not suggesting these are reasons not to extend, that will of course depend on the data, all I’m saying is there are millions of people in similar situations, with stuff booked that will get cancelled. We have to open up at some point, there’ll be an element of risk whenever it’s done. The flip side is, yes, I know we need to know a bit more about the Indian variant.
In summary I can see the arguments for and against and I’m glad it’s for better men than me to decide!

Sorry about the cricket tickers sir, but look on the bright side! You do have those holiday snaps, and your old posts about acceptable deaths, to look through and have a chuckle at to pass the time!

Plus there is this new blossoming friendship with lowhouse to explore! All in all, might not be a bad summer!
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:22]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:30 - Jun 10 with 465 views26_Paz

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:19 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

Sorry about the cricket tickers sir, but look on the bright side! You do have those holiday snaps, and your old posts about acceptable deaths, to look through and have a chuckle at to pass the time!

Plus there is this new blossoming friendship with lowhouse to explore! All in all, might not be a bad summer!
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:22]

A summer of love for Paz and low house perhaps

The Paz Man

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:38 - Jun 10 with 442 viewsfooters

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 11:58 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

I do think there is an OTT attitude from some that if you are keen to get restrictions lifted it's because you want to kill people where for me the view is just that the majority of people have had vaccine now, and those that haven't, in theory, are those less likely to go into hospital.

The tough point for me, is that if the hospital admissions are rising because a number of people in vulnerable categories who have been offered jabs and not taking them then it leaves the country between a rock and a hard place. But not studied data properly on whether that is the case.

If those people are getting ill, and overhwelming NHS then what can you do if vaccines aren't mandatory - there becomes an issue we never get out of it!

Tiered systems didn't work well last time, but there are areas where hospital admissions are steady, or even decreasing (NW) that in a week or so there may need to be a rethink

But again, what restrictions are left now? Seems some peolpe are kicking up an awful fuss about nothing when we are at, yet again, a critical point in this pandemic.

Everyone wants life to go back to normal but we all still have a responsibility to ourselves and our neighbours in the UK, Europe and elsewhere to act with a little restraint until we can all get out of it together.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:43 - Jun 10 with 425 viewsSpruceMoose

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:30 - Jun 10 by 26_Paz

A summer of love for Paz and low house perhaps

Who knows what new STIs you two might create together!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:49 - Jun 10 with 399 viewspointofblue

End of lockdown being pushed back 2 weeks... on 12:38 - Jun 10 by footers

But again, what restrictions are left now? Seems some peolpe are kicking up an awful fuss about nothing when we are at, yet again, a critical point in this pandemic.

Everyone wants life to go back to normal but we all still have a responsibility to ourselves and our neighbours in the UK, Europe and elsewhere to act with a little restraint until we can all get out of it together.

And look what happened in the autumn - release too early and we’ll have a bigger lockdown than what should be required.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024