Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reality check!!! 21:20 - Jul 27 with 7797 viewsEricsGate

Same very poor and lazy performances

Poll: Positive or Negative towards Paul Cook..,?

Reality check!!! on 22:16 - Jul 27 with 2576 viewsChrisd

Reality check!!! on 22:09 - Jul 27 by wkj

Friendlies are as much a part of mental conditioning as they are physical. My point was that a win would have been a positive team builder rather than 'we are fooked'.

I am not complaining either, just saying that it will be a little more pressure when we start the season if this team hasn't experienced a win as a team. (Dartford hardly counts as many of the signings were made after this game)

If you are basing our league campaign on how we are doing in pre season think back to when we’ve played Colchester in previous pre season friendlies and spanked them and then had a poor league campaign. Pre season is all about fitness, tactics and working on team formations. Even more important for us with so many changes to team personnel, it’s going to take a bit of time to adjust. If we win our first 4 league games, I doubt very much we’ll be too worried about a 3-3 draw against Colchester.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Reality check!!! on 22:35 - Jul 27 with 2496 viewsChurchman

Reality check!!! on 22:06 - Jul 27 by Chrisd

Sorry, friendly results count for nothing regarding your league form. There’s plenty of teams that have had a poor pre season and then started the season well and vice versa.

In 1991 we won a game on a tour of Finland, lost or drew the rest of the pre season games. The last before the season started was a 3-0 drubbing at Scunthorpe. We of course went on to win the division. In 1999, we won most of the pre season games and got promoted. That minuscule sample suggests there’s no direct relationship between friendlies and the real thing.

Basically, I think it a waste of time to read too much into these games. All that matters is what the manager and players get from it. Fitness, football and in Dobra’s case a chance to prove himself to the manager.

It’s actually good the opposition have put a lot into the last two games. Two new players today - it’s going to take time for the team to come together, but hopefully not too long.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2021 23:53]
Reality check!!! on 22:40 - Jul 27 with 2481 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I actually thought they were far more motivated and up for it than when they used to play for us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Reality check!!! on 22:42 - Jul 27 with 2472 viewswkj

Reality check!!! on 22:16 - Jul 27 by Chrisd

If you are basing our league campaign on how we are doing in pre season think back to when we’ve played Colchester in previous pre season friendlies and spanked them and then had a poor league campaign. Pre season is all about fitness, tactics and working on team formations. Even more important for us with so many changes to team personnel, it’s going to take a bit of time to adjust. If we win our first 4 league games, I doubt very much we’ll be too worried about a 3-3 draw against Colchester.

Looking a bit too deep into what I am saying. Just saying getting a win in the pre-season would have been a good team builder. No predictions are being made for the season ahead at all.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Reality check!!! on 22:47 - Jul 27 with 2457 viewsbraveblue

Quite a few good ones also. Pre season friendly. Fitness. That’s all that matters. I thought there were dine good signs and Dobra outstanding.
Reality check!!! on 22:53 - Jul 27 with 2436 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Reality check!!! on 21:47 - Jul 27 by portmanking

The final result mattered not, but it was disappointing to see very few patterns of play emerge during the full 90. Col U certainly looked better drilled than us. Hopefully we can put it down to the sheer turnover of players and this will be a distant memory in a month or so.

The core of their side know each others games inside out. Some of them have played together for the best part of a decade.

Ours, on the other hand, are still trying to learn each others preferred nicknames.
Reality check!!! on 22:58 - Jul 27 with 2423 viewsITFC1977

Reality check!!! on 21:37 - Jul 27 by chrismakin

Because its a friendly that meant nothing to us but did to them, nothing more.

You could tell, Bonne, Pigott etc not even out of first gear for a start.

MINUTES matter, not performance

I totally agree but it would have been nice to see them out of first gear as the season isn’t far away and you’d like to hope there are 3 or 4 gears higher than that. I would have liked to see second or even third to justify my confidence in the coming season.

I’ll keep believing.
Reality check!!! on 07:54 - Jul 28 with 2265 viewsPositivelyPortman

Reality check!!! on 22:01 - Jul 27 by WicklowBlue

We put out our first 11 did we?

No.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Login to get fewer ads

Reality check!!! on 08:38 - Jul 28 with 2221 viewsitfcjoe

Reality check!!! on 21:47 - Jul 27 by portmanking

The final result mattered not, but it was disappointing to see very few patterns of play emerge during the full 90. Col U certainly looked better drilled than us. Hopefully we can put it down to the sheer turnover of players and this will be a distant memory in a month or so.

How many new signings did Colchester have in their 11....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Reality check!!! on 08:40 - Jul 28 with 2216 viewsportmanking

Reality check!!! on 08:38 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

Touché...

Although, as another poster has said, that group have played together for several years and should be capable of hitting the ground running.

I may have been a little too hard on our lot last night. It will take time to build that same chemistry.
Reality check!!! on 08:42 - Jul 28 with 2209 viewsitfcjoe

Reality check!!! on 22:09 - Jul 27 by wkj

Friendlies are as much a part of mental conditioning as they are physical. My point was that a win would have been a positive team builder rather than 'we are fooked'.

I am not complaining either, just saying that it will be a little more pressure when we start the season if this team hasn't experienced a win as a team. (Dartford hardly counts as many of the signings were made after this game)

Winning is a habit, anyone trying to claim otherwise has never played sport. Players want to win, they are mega competitive in everything they do, they have to be to get where they are in the game.

Whilst not winning isn't a big deal, it's always better to win

Reality check!!! on 08:47 - Jul 28 with 2180 viewschrismakin

Reality check!!! on 08:38 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

how was it sat in the home end? ;)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Reality check!!! on 08:52 - Jul 28 with 2168 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Luckily, the team will not have Holy playing behind the defense for the season so we should be fine. A lot of that team probably won't start on day one.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Reality check!!! on 09:03 - Jul 28 with 2156 viewsChurchman

Reality check!!! on 08:42 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

Winning is a habit, anyone trying to claim otherwise has never played sport. Players want to win, they are mega competitive in everything they do, they have to be to get where they are in the game.

Yes, but anyone whose ever played sport will also say that preparation is everything. Friendlies are just that and surely it’s about setting out what you want to achieve from the 90 mins, whether it be trying players out, formations, fitness whatever.

In 2018, we won 3 of 5 pre-season games and looked good in the 2-1 loss to West Ham. We all know what followed that.
Reality check!!! on 09:05 - Jul 28 with 2154 viewsChrisd

Reality check!!! on 08:42 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

Claiming that friendlies carry the same level of intensity and importance as a league game is simply naive, shows perhaps they haven’t played sport to a decent standard and talking as a fan. The Colchester boys had something to prove last night, many of the Town players didn’t This was more important for many of our own fans due to so many of our ex players playing for Colchester, they wanted an example set. I understand the point about winning games you’re trying to make, but players know winning games in friendlies doesn’t have any bearing on your league campaign, winning friendlies just don’t have the same value of importance. Managers and players know the real stuff starts on the 7th August, whatever has happened in pre season will be long forgotten.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 9:14]

Reality check!!! on 09:10 - Jul 28 with 2134 viewsitfcjoe

Reality check!!! on 08:40 - Jul 28 by portmanking

Touché...

Although, as another poster has said, that group have played together for several years and should be capable of hitting the ground running.

I may have been a little too hard on our lot last night. It will take time to build that same chemistry.

I do think pre season games are becoming less and less important as just treated as another conditioning exercise for players in the main part.

But losing last night would have been deflating, set piece defending is a worry from what I've seen and no-one in management team or playing staff will be happy with a draw, or they shouldn't be.

Bonne and Pigott getting on scoresheet is a positive - sounds like Dobra was a positive

Reality check!!! on 09:11 - Jul 28 with 2128 viewsPassionNotAnger

Reality check!!! on 22:53 - Jul 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

The core of their side know each others games inside out. Some of them have played together for the best part of a decade.

Ours, on the other hand, are still trying to learn each others preferred nicknames.

Errr - that's not the case at all

of the three CB's Eastman has never played competitive games with Chambers and only played last season with Smith - not sure how many games Smith has played with Chambers over the last decade but none for the 2 seasons at least?

The two wing-backs - 1 (Clampin) only been playing for first team over last couple of seasons and the other (Coxe) only joined Col U this season on loan

Of the Midfield Wiredu and Chilvers played together last season for the first time, Judge only joined recently of course?

Up front I don't think Sears and Nouble have ever played before together (certainly not for Col U and I doubt for Ipswich either)

These lose (plus Skuse) have played most of the pre-seasons together but to say the core has played together for a decade is just blatantly wrong
Reality check!!! on 09:12 - Jul 28 with 2125 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Reality check!!! on 09:15 - Jul 28 with 2117 viewsPositivelyPortman

Troll

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Reality check!!! on 09:17 - Jul 28 with 2108 viewschrismakin

Reality check!!! on 09:10 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

I do think pre season games are becoming less and less important as just treated as another conditioning exercise for players in the main part.

But losing last night would have been deflating, set piece defending is a worry from what I've seen and no-one in management team or playing staff will be happy with a draw, or they shouldn't be.

Bonne and Pigott getting on scoresheet is a positive - sounds like Dobra was a positive

"set piece defending is a worry from what I've seen"

It's not a worry, replace 3 of the back 4 including the keeper and those set pieces have different outcomes. And as we know, we have the alternative keeper, CB and potentially 2 more defenders to come in

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Reality check!!! on 09:17 - Jul 28 with 2106 viewsitfcjoe

Reality check!!! on 09:05 - Jul 28 by Chrisd

Claiming that friendlies carry the same level of intensity and importance as a league game is simply naive, shows perhaps they haven’t played sport to a decent standard and talking as a fan. The Colchester boys had something to prove last night, many of the Town players didn’t This was more important for many of our own fans due to so many of our ex players playing for Colchester, they wanted an example set. I understand the point about winning games you’re trying to make, but players know winning games in friendlies doesn’t have any bearing on your league campaign, winning friendlies just don’t have the same value of importance. Managers and players know the real stuff starts on the 7th August, whatever has happened in pre season will be long forgotten.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 9:14]

Every Ipswich player has something to prove every time they step onto the pitch - they are fighting it out to be in the team v Morecambe.

Competitive mindsets aren't just switched on or off, think it's naive to suggest we weren't up for it but they were.

Reality check!!! on 09:17 - Jul 28 with 2098 viewsPassionNotAnger

Reality check!!! on 08:40 - Jul 28 by portmanking

Touché...

Of the starting 11 - Chambers, Coxe, Judge & Sears are "new" players for Col U this season

But it's not true to say the group have been together several years at all (other than the Ipswich group who joined Col U this season, but only 3 of them started last night)
Reality check!!! on 09:20 - Jul 28 with 2083 viewsChrisd

Reality check!!! on 22:35 - Jul 27 by Churchman

In 1991 we won a game on a tour of Finland, lost or drew the rest of the pre season games. The last before the season started was a 3-0 drubbing at Scunthorpe. We of course went on to win the division. In 1999, we won most of the pre season games and got promoted. That minuscule sample suggests there’s no direct relationship between friendlies and the real thing.

Basically, I think it a waste of time to read too much into these games. All that matters is what the manager and players get from it. Fitness, football and in Dobra’s case a chance to prove himself to the manager.

It’s actually good the opposition have put a lot into the last two games. Two new players today - it’s going to take time for the team to come together, but hopefully not too long.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2021 23:53]

That’s how I see it Churchman.

Reality check!!! on 09:23 - Jul 28 with 2068 viewsMrTown

Going forward I think we were exciting and enjoyed watching us. Defensively we looked suspect.

But important to remember that it was a make shift defensive set-up
Holy - v. poor.
Donacien - Fine but not KVY
Woolfenden - Has regressed so much since he broke through
Ndaba - Not at the level
Penney - Fine
Humprehys - in a central 2 against a 3 for Col U - still a puppy and couldn't get in game.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Reality check!!! on 09:24 - Jul 28 with 2064 viewsChrisd

Reality check!!! on 09:17 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

Every Ipswich player has something to prove every time they step onto the pitch - they are fighting it out to be in the team v Morecambe.

Competitive mindsets aren't just switched on or off, think it's naive to suggest we weren't up for it but they were.

‘They’ were of course because of the Town connection and the way they were treated by PC at the end of last season, but to think our players were playing with their normal level of intensity as they would for a league game? Come on Joe, I expect better from you. Mindset and intensity are two separate issues, the players know at the back of their minds it’s a friendly, there’s nothing riding on it apart from fitness, tactics and building relationships on the pitch. I normally agree with a lot you post, but not this time.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 9:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024