Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducanu 06:22 - Sep 10 with 11654 viewsnoggin

This is gonna hurt the gammonista. Born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Hungarian father. Love it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Emma Raducanu on 11:52 - Sep 10 with 1196 viewsGlasgowBlue

Emma Raducanu on 11:48 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

I don't see why people are having such a pop at Noggin in this thread. We British (perhaps English) have, for as long as I can remember, had an ambivalent attitude regarding the provenance of those who represent us in sport. Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Graeme Hick are examples. There was disapproving harrumphing directed at Mo Farah. And there is still outright racism directed at our black footballers born in this country.

It appears to me that Noggin is having a gentle swipe at the racists. Those who are criticising him are, perhaps, not far removed from those who boo England's footballers for taking the knee.

Your last sentence is utter nonsense.

BTW some of us who remember the Cologne new year's eve sexual assaults of 2015 know that Noggin is far from the progressive he attempts to portray himself as.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Emma Raducanu on 11:56 - Sep 10 with 1188 viewsHighgateBlue

To people who are racist: don't be racist, and just enjoy this amazingly talented British girl's success.

To people who needlessly bring up her heritage to start arguments: don't needlessly bring up her heritage to start arguments where none exist, and just enjoy this amazingly talented British girl's success..

Honestly, I've not seen a single person of any persuasion grumble about her race, heritage, colour. In fact there have been fewer sarcastic comments about the fact she was born in Canada than there were in relation to Greg Rusedski. What I did see was plenty of establishment figures, some of whom you'd doubtless call gammonista, enjoying and celebrating her initial success at Wimbledon.
Emma Raducanu on 11:59 - Sep 10 with 1170 viewsJ2BLUE

Emma Raducanu on 11:56 - Sep 10 by HighgateBlue

To people who are racist: don't be racist, and just enjoy this amazingly talented British girl's success.

To people who needlessly bring up her heritage to start arguments: don't needlessly bring up her heritage to start arguments where none exist, and just enjoy this amazingly talented British girl's success..

Honestly, I've not seen a single person of any persuasion grumble about her race, heritage, colour. In fact there have been fewer sarcastic comments about the fact she was born in Canada than there were in relation to Greg Rusedski. What I did see was plenty of establishment figures, some of whom you'd doubtless call gammonista, enjoying and celebrating her initial success at Wimbledon.

Precisely this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Emma Raducanu on 12:00 - Sep 10 with 1163 viewsHighgateBlue

Emma Raducanu on 08:15 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

I think it’s the very nature of that Britishness that noggin is getting at.

We’ve torn ourselves apart over immigration when the reality is that we’re talking about families and individuals who generally give back more than they take.

That's true. I agree.

But the OP was not a celebration of Emma's contribution or immigrants' contributions. It was having a go at a group of people instead. And I've genuinely not seen /anyone/ grumble about her race or background.
Emma Raducanu on 12:05 - Sep 10 with 1140 viewsDigger77

Emma Raducanu on 11:52 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

BTW some of us who remember the Cologne new year's eve sexual assaults of 2015 know that Noggin is far from the progressive he attempts to portray himself as.

Ah yeah, the slap and tickle remark. Well remembered.
Emma Raducanu on 12:10 - Sep 10 with 1103 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 11:52 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

What is wrong with that last sentence? Noggin is clearly having a pop at racists. And there are several respondents criticising him for it.

As for your second paragraph... Are you criticising him on this thread because of something he said a long time ago on an unrelated matter or purely on the merits of his comments here and now?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Emma Raducanu on 12:14 - Sep 10 with 1087 viewsSwansea_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 11:56 - Sep 10 by HighgateBlue

Quite right on the first 2 paras. But the 3rd is the OP's whole point - you won't see most people grumble about her heritage. That's the hypocrisy. The press certainly (and maybe establishment figures, but I don't know who you mean) who've been openly xenophobic and even racist in other contexts will happily ride off the back of the feelgood factor from her success. Just as they did with the English footballers only weeks after criticising them for taking an anti-racist stance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Emma Raducanu on 12:21 - Sep 10 with 1036 viewsJ2BLUE

Emma Raducanu on 12:14 - Sep 10 by Swansea_Blue

Quite right on the first 2 paras. But the 3rd is the OP's whole point - you won't see most people grumble about her heritage. That's the hypocrisy. The press certainly (and maybe establishment figures, but I don't know who you mean) who've been openly xenophobic and even racist in other contexts will happily ride off the back of the feelgood factor from her success. Just as they did with the English footballers only weeks after criticising them for taking an anti-racist stance.

Clearly that's not his point as he said it would hurt them just after she reached the final when you say they should be enjoying her success and waiting to turn on her when she's not achieving good things.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Emma Raducanu on 12:25 - Sep 10 with 1015 viewsSwansea_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 12:10 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

What is wrong with that last sentence? Noggin is clearly having a pop at racists. And there are several respondents criticising him for it.

As for your second paragraph... Are you criticising him on this thread because of something he said a long time ago on an unrelated matter or purely on the merits of his comments here and now?

I think a lot of people have completely missed the point, even if it was an inflammatory one. Our political landscape has been shaped over recent years largely off the back of demonising immigrants and refugees. Large numbers of people have supported, and continue to support, the people who've benefited from this anti-immigrant stance. Yet I expect very few would not celebrate Emma's successes (rightly so too). It certainly seems like there's some hypocrisy. Hopefully the success of people like Emma will remind people that immigration is a force for good, not something to be frightened of.

Emma Raducanu on 12:28 - Sep 10 with 994 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 12:00 - Sep 10 by HighgateBlue

That's true. I agree.

But the OP was not a celebration of Emma's contribution or immigrants' contributions. It was having a go at a group of people instead. And I've genuinely not seen /anyone/ grumble about her race or background.

Some will. But that’s not what noggin was getting at.

There’s an inherent hypocrisy for a lot of the anti-immigration reactionary right and their media in claiming Raducanu as our own and British because of her achievements. Because they certainly wouldn’t do that for 99.99% of people with her personal history outside of tennis.

Pronouns: He/Him

Emma Raducanu on 12:32 - Sep 10 with 975 viewsSwansea_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 12:21 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

Clearly that's not his point as he said it would hurt them just after she reached the final when you say they should be enjoying her success and waiting to turn on her when she's not achieving good things.

I haven't mentioned that anyone is waiting to turn on her. That may well happen in time of course, as the press do like a hero to zero story. They'll do that to anyone though irrespective of their background.

Emma Raducanu on 12:35 - Sep 10 with 965 viewsJ2BLUE

Emma Raducanu on 12:32 - Sep 10 by Swansea_Blue

I haven't mentioned that anyone is waiting to turn on her. That may well happen in time of course, as the press do like a hero to zero story. They'll do that to anyone though irrespective of their background.

You said: But the 3rd is the OP's whole point - you won't see most people grumble about her heritage. That's the hypocrisy.

The OP said her getting to the final will hurt some people.

So that's not his point at all is it?

Truly impaired.

Emma Raducanu on 12:39 - Sep 10 with 940 viewsjaykay

Emma Raducanu on 12:05 - Sep 10 by Digger77

Ah yeah, the slap and tickle remark. Well remembered.

ahh yeah for someone who has only been posting since july , funny how you remember a remark from 2015. what was your name in 2015

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Emma Raducanu on 12:39 - Sep 10 with 938 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 12:25 - Sep 10 by Swansea_Blue

I think a lot of people have completely missed the point, even if it was an inflammatory one. Our political landscape has been shaped over recent years largely off the back of demonising immigrants and refugees. Large numbers of people have supported, and continue to support, the people who've benefited from this anti-immigrant stance. Yet I expect very few would not celebrate Emma's successes (rightly so too). It certainly seems like there's some hypocrisy. Hopefully the success of people like Emma will remind people that immigration is a force for good, not something to be frightened of.

I think we are pretty well on the same page.

BTW, I am not usually interested in tennis, a great game to play but utterly boring to watch. Ms Raducanu's rise, however, has been phenomenal and meteoric. Win or lose the final, she has brought great credit on herself and has represented her country with grace and panache.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Emma Raducanu on 12:45 - Sep 10 with 919 viewsSwansea_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 12:35 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

You said: But the 3rd is the OP's whole point - you won't see most people grumble about her heritage. That's the hypocrisy.

The OP said her getting to the final will hurt some people.

So that's not his point at all is it?

Dunno. I assume Noggin wasn't deliberately referring specifically the final, just that she's doing well and getting praise.

You'd have to ask Noggers, but it seems like he's done a runner!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 12:45]

Emma Raducanu on 12:50 - Sep 10 with 902 viewssolomon

Emma Raducanu on 06:42 - Sep 10 by N2_Blue

Ahem. At least get it right Nogs!....Romanian father.

Clue should be in her surname, about as Romanian as you can get.

She's a remarkable young woman, and her parents should take a lot of credit as she seems so grounded and humble.

Also playing in the colours of Romania in New York.
I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 12:56 - Sep 10 with 876 viewsBloots

Nah, Noggin's observation is..... on 11:09 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

The OP doesn’t wind me up in the slightest. Then again I’ve never agreed with the political persuasion or tacitly supported it by letting it slide.

You’re getting into “bad people on both sides” territory. Noggin’s one of the good guys and if more people had called out the gammonista nonsense earlier (including the likes of Paz) then we’d have a damn sight less divisiveness.

....you aren't his target audience.

In fact there is very little of his target audience left on this board thankfully.

That's what makes the original post so pointless.

"Calling out" beliefs that you don't agree with certainly doesn't result in less divisiveness, as we have seen on here in the past.

The only way to see less divisiveness is for people to accept that others may have different opinions and world views than you do.

A lot of people preach "peace, love and harmony" purely on the basis that it is achieved in line with their own world view, and anyone that disagrees with them can fook off.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 13:00]

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Emma Raducanu on 13:14 - Sep 10 with 831 viewsRyorry

Emma Raducanu on 12:10 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

What was wrong with your last sentence for me was

"Those who are criticising him are, perhaps, not far removed from those who boo England's footballers for taking the knee."

Bang out of order to equate the two, imho - quite offensive in fact. I'm critical of Noggin for his OP, tho in the past I've almost always been in agreement with him & enjoyed his posts; but I fully support & applaud footballers taking the knee. Pretty sure there are several others on this thread also holding both those views.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:18 - Sep 10 with 809 viewsDarth_Koont

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 12:56 - Sep 10 by Bloots

In fact there is very little of his target audience left on this board thankfully.

"Calling out" beliefs that you don't agree with certainly doesn't result in less divisiveness, as we have seen on here in the past.

The only way to see less divisiveness is for people to accept that others may have different opinions and world views than you do.

A lot of people preach "peace, love and harmony" purely on the basis that it is achieved in line with their own world view, and anyone that disagrees with them can fook off.

If it’s just the Centrist Dad Tone Police getting agitated then there aren’t any victims here.

Amazed that noggin’s comment has created such a backlash supposedly on others’ behalf.

Pronouns: He/Him

Emma Raducanu on 13:27 - Sep 10 with 776 viewsblueasfook

Go check how racist Hungarians are first.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The only "backlash"...... on 13:28 - Sep 10 with 770 viewsBloots

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:18 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

If it’s just the Centrist Dad Tone Police getting agitated then there aren’t any victims here.

Amazed that noggin’s comment has created such a backlash supposedly on others’ behalf.

....certainly from my perspective is just the quite obvious intention of it.

You're quite happy with it because you think it's annoying "the right" and also now "the centrists". Essentially anyone that doesn't share the same views as you.

QED.

Pointless.

(add another TV show if you wish)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Nah, Noggin's observation is..... on 13:32 - Sep 10 with 758 viewsnoggin

Nah, Noggin's observation is..... on 09:40 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....very similar to the type of post Paz used to make.

Entirely designed to wind up people of a certain political persuasion, without being overtly abusive.

Sending the forum down a winding divisive road while he sits back and watches.

All a bit unnecessary really.

If you mean to wind up racists, then yes, I hold my hands up. If not, which political persuasion do you mean?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 13:33]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The only "backlash"...... on 13:35 - Sep 10 with 729 viewsJ2BLUE

The only "backlash"...... on 13:28 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....certainly from my perspective is just the quite obvious intention of it.

You're quite happy with it because you think it's annoying "the right" and also now "the centrists". Essentially anyone that doesn't share the same views as you.

QED.

Pointless.

(add another TV show if you wish)

Spot on again.

Precisely what one wise poster was saying a few weeks ago when it all kicked off.

Truly impaired.

Emma Raducanu on 13:37 - Sep 10 with 724 viewsleitrimblue

Emma Raducanu on 11:48 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

I don't see why people are having such a pop at Noggin in this thread. We British (perhaps English) have, for as long as I can remember, had an ambivalent attitude regarding the provenance of those who represent us in sport. Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Graeme Hick are examples. There was disapproving harrumphing directed at Mo Farah. And there is still outright racism directed at our black footballers born in this country.

It appears to me that Noggin is having a gentle swipe at the racists. Those who are criticising him are, perhaps, not far removed from those who boo England's footballers for taking the knee.

Spot on, especially last paragraph. For me it's the blatant hypocrisy of those calling to 'turn back the boats' or claiming that those wishing for racial an social equality are some form of crazy Marxists. While refusing to mention the endless positive aspects of immigration into the country. If you look at the bigger picture we are a country of immigrants living on a small island populated originally by European Hunter gatherer groups. Then added to by the large scale movement of Neolithic an Bronze age groups into the UK who were also descended from European Hunter gather groups an then by small iron age tribes based around Belgium, Holland an Germany, who were also descended from European Hunter gatherer groups and so on.
I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:37 - Sep 10 with 723 viewsEwan_Oozami

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 12:56 - Sep 10 by Bloots

Just the anti-battenbergers to get rid of now I think....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024