Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're only 10 points off top 17:07 - Oct 23 with 8884 viewsBloomBlue

And to think some people were only claiming a couple of weeks the top 2 places were gone already.

10 points is nothing when we're not in Nov yet.

We will get promoted via the automatic places, believe
We're only 10 points off top on 14:46 - Oct 24 with 1542 viewstextbackup

*experts

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We're only 10 points off top on 14:50 - Oct 24 with 1532 viewspositivity

We're only 10 points off top on 14:18 - Oct 24 by istanblue

We'd actually have to start winning games on a regular basis for that to happen.

5 wins out of 8 is fairly regular

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

We're only 10 points off top on 15:18 - Oct 24 with 1492 viewsBlueBadger

We're only 10 points off top on 14:09 - Oct 24 by bluefunk

Why keep harping on about the start of the season? Cook has the team now producing 17 points from the last 24, which is automatic promotion form, and would give us 88 point if repeated for the rest of the season. That would be likely to be enough for automatic promotion, so not really a fantasy is it?

Because the start of the season is what's likely shafted(or at very least made our job much harder) our shot at automatic.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We're only 10 points off top on 15:20 - Oct 24 with 1482 viewsVic

We're only 10 points off top on 13:31 - Oct 24 by Mullet

No one is saying the past 6 or 7 are, although they certainly contain them in terms of Cambridge. This idea I have to "cheer up" when I'm not unhappy in the slightest is part of the problem, we're back again to a constant binary setting.

The best take on "the form table" puts us 3rd, and we are currently 10th so this fantasy if things continue as are - still doesn't put us top or top 2.

If we have the better players then the expectation of autos isn't unreasonable, and the start of the season has to be seen as a failure. Cutting it both ways to indulge ourselves is just silly. Relying on doing a Blackpool even a Luton if we look further back is the issue.

Faith and delusion might make people happy, but that doesn't make it a certainty. Cook has given himself a lot of work to do and little room for excuses. Being on an upward trend from the gutter is not the same as title winners etc.

My ‘Cheer up’ was a bit tongue in cheek, a friendly poke in the ribs comment! You know me well enough to know that I’m not in the black or white camp. Being 10 points off the auto places and just 4 points off the PO places doesn’t require us to do a Blackpool or Luton. If we’re really any good then those sorts of points really shouldn’t be impossible over 32 games should they.

I’m not saying we’ll do it, but I do believe, with the squad we have, that’s it’s entirely possible. Given the way the team is gradually improving, that the defense is getting better and that we have goals coming from several different players I think we do have reasons to start loosening the strings on our optimism.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

We're only 10 points off top on 16:01 - Oct 24 with 1444 viewsbluefunk

We're only 10 points off top on 15:18 - Oct 24 by BlueBadger

Because the start of the season is what's likely shafted(or at very least made our job much harder) our shot at automatic.

And yes, forgetting about that would require some admitting they were wrong, which seemed highly unlikely
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 16:29]
We're only 10 points off top on 22:13 - Oct 24 with 1367 viewsVaughan8

Just to confirm, some people thought the playoffs were gone last week........

Automatic gone. Playoffs gone. by OriginalMarkyP 16 Oct 2021 17:15
We are playing to beat last year's finish now.

All of you who've been championing Cook ever since he came in and decimated this club need to take a look at the hard evidence of what's happened.

Demoltion Man? Yes but not how he meant. Perhaps Demotivation Man would be more accurate.

We're only 10 points off top on 22:22 - Oct 24 with 1348 viewsitfcjoe

10 points to gain on 3-4 teams is a lot - we could win the next 6 or 7 on the bounce and would still be behind them.

It’s a massive task, realistically we are aiming for the play offs unless we can string a ridiculous season together from here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're only 10 points off top on 22:34 - Oct 24 with 1314 viewswkj

We're only 10 points off top on 22:22 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

10 points to gain on 3-4 teams is a lot - we could win the next 6 or 7 on the bounce and would still be behind them.

It’s a massive task, realistically we are aiming for the play offs unless we can string a ridiculous season together from here

One key injury and plymouth will fall away, they have very small numbers.

The two main players will be Sunderland and Wycombe - if we get our hustle on, then we'll be snapping at their heels come Christmas.

Although we've dropped a lot of points, we've only lost 4 - One less than Sunderland, 2 less than wigan and 3 less than Plymouth. Stringing a few wins on the bounce will bring us right up there.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 22:37]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

We're only 10 points off top on 23:16 - Oct 24 with 1289 viewspositivity

*could* still be behind them, not would.

*if* we follow your example and win the next 7, we'll have taken 3 points off 4 of the teams above us.

taking plymouth as an example they'd need to take 11 points from their remaining 5 games to stay above us, which is a better points return than they've managed so far.

winning the next 7 is of course, the difficult (and unlikely!) bit.. fortunately we have another 25 games after that to reel them in!

top 2 by the end is tough, but it's not out of the question

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

We're only 10 points off top on 07:17 - Oct 25 with 1219 viewsVic

Or we could spin that round Joe - if we win the next 6 or 7 on the bounce we’ll be a lot closer to them than we are at present!

I get your caution, but I think there’s no more reason to be as cautious as you are than to be as positive as some others are. If we’re 10 points behind after the atrocious start we’ve had then if we continue as we are (which given the quality in our squad I think is entirely possible) and the teams above us falter for a bit we can easier reel them in. You seem to be giving other teams a lot more credit than you do us. What makes you think they will stay the course and we won’t? What makes you think they will be better than us over the next 30 games?

I’m totally not saying that we will do it, but you seem reluctant to be hopeful that this squad has it in them to be better than the rest. I’m curious to know why you feel that way.

Last thing - before this team was assembled I think most of us would have taken a PO spot this season. It would be disappointing, but it’s a darn sight better than anything we’ve done for the last few years! And I would say that if we het to the POs we have as good a chance of winning them as any other team.

COYB

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

We're only 10 points off top on 07:25 - Oct 25 with 1212 viewsReuser_is_God

Good job there are 32 games left then rather than 6 or 7.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

We're only 10 points off top on 08:18 - Oct 25 with 1174 viewstractorboy1978

All we can do is concentrate on ourselves. If we hit high 80s and don't get a top 2 spot then I think you have to hold your hands up and say fair play to whoever finishes above us. We cannot control their results from here on in.
We're only 10 points off top on 08:29 - Oct 25 with 1164 viewsitfcjoe

We're only 10 points off top on 08:18 - Oct 25 by tractorboy1978

All we can do is concentrate on ourselves. If we hit high 80s and don't get a top 2 spot then I think you have to hold your hands up and say fair play to whoever finishes above us. We cannot control their results from here on in.

Nope, I think it is a bit unhelpful talking about automatic when we are still a mile off it, have won back to back games for the first time this season and about to head into 2 tooth games.

It's just running before we can walk, and if we can get into a better position to strike towards the end of the season then so be it - but the targets for there here and now are to get into the top 6 and cement our place there, not to dream of the top 2. That can come later in the season.

If we are to get there it will be a hell of a ride, but effectively need to totally blitz the season from here on in

We're only 10 points off top on 08:32 - Oct 25 with 1151 viewsportmanking

We're only 10 points off top on 08:29 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

Nope, I think it is a bit unhelpful talking about automatic when we are still a mile off it, have won back to back games for the first time this season and about to head into 2 tooth games.

It's just running before we can walk, and if we can get into a better position to strike towards the end of the season then so be it - but the targets for there here and now are to get into the top 6 and cement our place there, not to dream of the top 2. That can come later in the season.

If we are to get there it will be a hell of a ride, but effectively need to totally blitz the season from here on in

Hang on, running before we can walk?! You were one of the posters infuriated at our inability to obliterate the league from week one with a squad of 19 new faces - many of which arrived with half or minimal pre-season!
We're only 10 points off top on 08:33 - Oct 25 with 1151 viewsHerbivore

We're only 10 points off top on 08:29 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

Agreed. All this talk of automatic promotion after we've beaten Fleetwood at home via a 93rd minute winner to record our first back to back wins seems very premature indeed. Our form over recent weeks is much improved but we're now finally going to be playing some of our promotion rivals over the coming weeks and it'll be interesting to see whether we can beat them and close the gap a bit or not. We're a way away from being the finished article, let alone being genuine automatic promotion challengers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're only 10 points off top on 08:35 - Oct 25 with 1140 viewsitfcjoe

We're only 10 points off top on 08:32 - Oct 25 by portmanking

Hang on, running before we can walk?! You were one of the posters infuriated at our inability to obliterate the league from week one with a squad of 19 new faces - many of which arrived with half or minimal pre-season!

We should have started much better than we did, and we should be right up there - the points we dropped at the start of the season will likely cost us.

But you have to react to the here and now, and that is we need to get into the top 6

We're only 10 points off top on 08:39 - Oct 25 with 1128 viewsportmanking

We're only 10 points off top on 08:35 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

We should have started much better than we did, and we should be right up there - the points we dropped at the start of the season will likely cost us.

But you have to react to the here and now, and that is we need to get into the top 6

It's entirely in our hands. Seven of our next nine games are against teams currently in and around the top six. It's a great opportunity. The squad is knitting together both on and off the pitch. As I've said previously, with so many new faces - each with their own personal lives to sort as well as fitting into a new-look team - it was always going to take time. It doesn't frankly matter how many points you have after 6-7 games if you still reach the target by week 46.
We're only 10 points off top on 08:58 - Oct 25 with 1097 viewstractorboy1978

We're only 10 points off top on 08:39 - Oct 25 by portmanking

It's entirely in our hands. Seven of our next nine games are against teams currently in and around the top six. It's a great opportunity. The squad is knitting together both on and off the pitch. As I've said previously, with so many new faces - each with their own personal lives to sort as well as fitting into a new-look team - it was always going to take time. It doesn't frankly matter how many points you have after 6-7 games if you still reach the target by week 46.

We can do it, but we've left ourselves a lot to do. Ultimately we don't know how it is going to play out, but 2 points a game from here on in takes us to 84 which hasn't been enough since the 2012/13 season. The 2018/19 table in particular makes for pretty grim reading.
We're only 10 points off top on 09:17 - Oct 25 with 1060 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've got more chance that we did a few games ago, so let's just enjoy the ride. Still a huge ask as the form of the top 6 lately is enough to just about keep them ahead of us for the rest of the season. Someone will slip through, just comes down to who keeps their nerve, injuries, fatigue, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're only 10 points off top on 09:18 - Oct 25 with 1053 viewsJammyDodgerrr

We could win the next six and still be nowhere near given the form the top two are in. The difference a late winner makes, hey. If we had drawn on Saturday this wouldn't even be a conversation.

We're on the right track, but realistically we will know more after the next two games.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

We're only 10 points off top on 09:26 - Oct 25 with 1025 viewsdirtyboy

I think the next group of league games will be very much a 2 steps forward 1 step back.

Pretty arrogant to suggest we'll beat all of the teams above us in a league where we already know anyone can beat anyone on a particular day.

That being said, if we can pick up points here and there, we're definitely improving across all areas of the pitch and there's still more to come with Walton to likely get more settled with more games and the same for Nsiala if he's part of the new first choice pairing.

Post Christmas, we have a strong squad to help too....so it really is a marathon not a sprint and we have given ourselves a sporting chance of getting in the mix before Christmas.

Top 2 is a huge, huge ask, one step at a time though and it's not impossible.

Plymouth, Sunderland and Wycombe will be massive markers for us.

If we beat those three, then I'd say we'll be right up there, but I just don't quite see that yet..

...yet...
We're only 10 points off top on 09:31 - Oct 25 with 1006 viewsSwansea_Blue

We're only 10 points off top on 09:18 - Oct 25 by JammyDodgerrr

We could win the next six and still be nowhere near given the form the top two are in. The difference a late winner makes, hey. If we had drawn on Saturday this wouldn't even be a conversation.

We're on the right track, but realistically we will know more after the next two games.

Yep. Top 6 have all been accruing an average of 2 pts/game or more over the last 6 games, so they're all been doing well.

We've had a great little run in the last 6 games, yet with the exception of Accrington (11th) all the rest have been against teams well in the bottom half of the table. Our next 5 games are all against teams currently in the top 6. I think those will both give us a better idea of how good we really are and define our season.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're only 10 points off top on 09:32 - Oct 25 with 1004 viewsOsborneOneNil

We're only 10 points off top on 08:33 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

Agreed. All this talk of automatic promotion after we've beaten Fleetwood at home via a 93rd minute winner to record our first back to back wins seems very premature indeed. Our form over recent weeks is much improved but we're now finally going to be playing some of our promotion rivals over the coming weeks and it'll be interesting to see whether we can beat them and close the gap a bit or not. We're a way away from being the finished article, let alone being genuine automatic promotion challengers.

Why is it that a 94th minute winner against Fleetwood is almost seen as a negative to you, as if it almost doesn’t count as a win?

If we’d scored the winner in the 85th would that be better?

We won. We deserved to win.

Cheer up
We're only 10 points off top on 09:32 - Oct 25 with 995 viewsSteve_M

We're only 10 points off top on 17:51 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

You don’t seem to want discourse but here goes. We’re 10 games unbeaten so you’re wrong, this season has not been an overall picture of failure so far. It was a bad start (with a mitigating background) and it’s being rectified. The players seem to know the system much better; we’re scoring loads of goals: and the team at this point has forgotten how to lose.

Ten games unbeaten? I know I would like to forget the second half at Accrington but we can't really do that. That performance and the failure to win from such a dominant position at Cambridge should inspire caution.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We're only 10 points off top on 09:33 - Oct 25 with 995 viewswkj

We're only 10 points off top on 09:31 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

Yep. Top 6 have all been accruing an average of 2 pts/game or more over the last 6 games, so they're all been doing well.

We've had a great little run in the last 6 games, yet with the exception of Accrington (11th) all the rest have been against teams well in the bottom half of the table. Our next 5 games are all against teams currently in the top 6. I think those will both give us a better idea of how good we really are and define our season.

The important thing to note here, is whilst those teams are all teams that are below us now, they weren't necessarily below us when we played them. Lets hope we can make it so that some more teams end up below us after we've played them.

This is a picture of why we are correct to be optimistic at the moment

[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 9:36]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024