Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... 08:52 - Nov 17 with 1938 viewsitfcjoe

....of the changes.

Other than Aluko, who was probably in the toin coss selection with Burns as it is.

Chaplin got another goal, wonder if he comes in for Edwards at any point and rotates LW and 10 with Celina?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 08:55 - Nov 17 with 1701 viewshoppy

That would be my preference. Chaplin was in a good vein of form when he dropped to the bench, and Edwards thus far has, for all his nice footwork and play, not quite delivered on the end product enough for me.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:28 - Nov 17 with 1597 viewshype313

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 08:55 - Nov 17 by hoppy

That would be my preference. Chaplin was in a good vein of form when he dropped to the bench, and Edwards thus far has, for all his nice footwork and play, not quite delivered on the end product enough for me.

I'd have Chaplin over Edwards right now, Edwards is clearly going to be a good player but he's still finding his feet, Chaplin, whilst can go missing sometimes, has overall been more productive.

He also seems to be in tune with Bonne too.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 9:28]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:32 - Nov 17 with 1558 viewsBlueBlood90

Chaplin has to start against Sunderland. We may not create as many chances as usual and need our most clinical players on the pitch. Edwards and Burns/Aluko are great options to have on the bench to bring on second half.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:33 - Nov 17 with 1554 viewschicoazul

Chaplin and Aluko have to play. Edwards isn’t giving us much and Burns doesn’t last a game.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:35 - Nov 17 with 1545 viewsStadiumofdark

I thought Chaplin looked good in parts. Good at geeing up the rest of them too - has to start on Sat for me
Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:35 - Nov 17 with 1544 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:28 - Nov 17 by hype313

I'd have Chaplin over Edwards right now, Edwards is clearly going to be a good player but he's still finding his feet, Chaplin, whilst can go missing sometimes, has overall been more productive.

He also seems to be in tune with Bonne too.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 9:28]

It's a tough one isn't it: Chaplin + Bonne = we lose rather a lot on the ball and in the buildup, for me, but gain enhanced goal threat. Think I'd agree with that on balance for the weekend but it's difficult, Edwards hasn't really done much wrong despite some of the naysaying.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:46 - Nov 17 with 1480 viewsportmanking

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:35 - Nov 17 by SomethingBlue

It's a tough one isn't it: Chaplin + Bonne = we lose rather a lot on the ball and in the buildup, for me, but gain enhanced goal threat. Think I'd agree with that on balance for the weekend but it's difficult, Edwards hasn't really done much wrong despite some of the naysaying.

If you play Chaplin, Bonne and Edwards, you're inevitably leaving out Celina.

I might be tempted to play Burns at RB for this one. Aluko wide right cutting in, Chaplin in the 10 and Celina wide left cutting in.

But then you're leaving out Donacien who's been a standout performer, while KVY looked dynamite against Wycombe.... who'd be a football manager?!
Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:50 - Nov 17 with 1464 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:46 - Nov 17 by portmanking

If you play Chaplin, Bonne and Edwards, you're inevitably leaving out Celina.

I might be tempted to play Burns at RB for this one. Aluko wide right cutting in, Chaplin in the 10 and Celina wide left cutting in.

But then you're leaving out Donacien who's been a standout performer, while KVY looked dynamite against Wycombe.... who'd be a football manager?!

Celina should start most games, he'll win you more than he doesn't even if there are inefficiencies. Having him and Aluko out wide would make us more secure on the ball in those areas but less direct ... guess it might depend on how we assess Sunderland's strengths and weaknesses (barely seen them, can't really comment). Good problems to have in theory, yes!

Login to get fewer ads

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:57 - Nov 17 with 1404 viewsNthQldITFC

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:33 - Nov 17 by chicoazul

Chaplin and Aluko have to play. Edwards isn’t giving us much and Burns doesn’t last a game.

We can mix and match between them without it needing to be one or the other full stop. Edwards may not be delivering many official assists, but he terrifies full backs and forces opposition right hand sides to sit deeper which can change a game indirectly. Burns similar, but with more actual assists. Great position to be in, and it's one area of the team that doesn't need to be 'settled', in fact it's possibly beneficial for it not to be settled.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:12 - Nov 17 with 1324 viewsDavoIPB

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:35 - Nov 17 by SomethingBlue

Yep and Edward defensively is very good as well, he is a really tough player, wins lots and as others have posted pushes the oppostion to sit really deep creating space for players like Morsy and Evans on the edge of the box. Edwards doesn't drift in and out of games either, he is always wanting the ball, always running against the oppositon, must be exhausting to play against.

Edwards no end product but a very good footballer and there is more to football than assists and goals. Edwards wins the battle against defenders, Burns does only on the odd occasion. Celina has to start. Can't have Burns at right back against any top half league 1 side, he is not a defender.
Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:19 - Nov 17 with 1282 viewsStokieBlue

I guess there will be changes, Edwards maybe, however once Edwards and Burns went off we didn't look as good as a unit as we had the rest of the match and Oxford got back into the game.

Sometimes it's about what team works best than the specific players and I think I'd keep Edwards - Celina - Burns for now with the options from the bench if we are losing.

I'm not against changes, just think they probably deserve another go and that nobody has really put forward a case which can't be ignored.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:32 - Nov 17 with 1233 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:12 - Nov 17 by DavoIPB

Yep and Edward defensively is very good as well, he is a really tough player, wins lots and as others have posted pushes the oppostion to sit really deep creating space for players like Morsy and Evans on the edge of the box. Edwards doesn't drift in and out of games either, he is always wanting the ball, always running against the oppositon, must be exhausting to play against.

Edwards no end product but a very good footballer and there is more to football than assists and goals. Edwards wins the battle against defenders, Burns does only on the odd occasion. Celina has to start. Can't have Burns at right back against any top half league 1 side, he is not a defender.

Think you've summed Edwards up really well there.

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:34 - Nov 17 with 1228 viewsKieran_Knows

I still can't believe Chaplin was dropped a couple of weeks back to be honest. That was quite ludicrous.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:41 - Nov 17 with 1206 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:34 - Nov 17 by Kieran_Knows

I still can't believe Chaplin was dropped a couple of weeks back to be honest. That was quite ludicrous.

Remember a back spasm being mentioned so assumed it was something about protecting that — although the player did seem surprised ...

As said above, there'll be games where we need more on the ball than Chaplin offers and games where we don't, so we'll need to keep rotating those positions I expect. We have the options and quality to find different solutions when needed. Chaplin should probably get a start at Sunderland but it's not an easy call.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 10:42]

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:42 - Nov 17 with 1186 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 08:55 - Nov 17 by hoppy

Chaplin for Edwards with Celina on the left and hopefully Janoi back at RB would be what I'd like to see.

Edwards has lots of skill but hadn't got going yet and Chaplin looked really good in the Pompey game

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:44 - Nov 17 with 1160 viewsKieran_Knows

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:41 - Nov 17 by SomethingBlue

Remember a back spasm being mentioned so assumed it was something about protecting that — although the player did seem surprised ...

As said above, there'll be games where we need more on the ball than Chaplin offers and games where we don't, so we'll need to keep rotating those positions I expect. We have the options and quality to find different solutions when needed. Chaplin should probably get a start at Sunderland but it's not an easy call.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 10:42]

Apologies, I must've missed the 'injury' part. Didn't realise that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:52 - Nov 17 with 1115 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:44 - Nov 17 by Kieran_Knows

Apologies, I must've missed the 'injury' part. Didn't realise that.

No no, might not have been connected, was just my possibly incorrect assumption that they were managing him a bit after PC mentioned it. Certainly a shame he dropped out after being in such a rich vein of form.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 10:52]

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:01 - Nov 17 with 1048 viewsStokieBlue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 10:42 - Nov 17 by BlueandTruesince82

Chaplin for Edwards with Celina on the left and hopefully Janoi back at RB would be what I'd like to see.

Edwards has lots of skill but hadn't got going yet and Chaplin looked really good in the Pompey game

I think that's exposing Clements quite a bit. Celina isn't going to do as much defensively as Edwards does I wouldn't think.

I think it's a bit overlooked that Edwards is often back tidying things up and getting tackles in.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:07 - Nov 17 with 1011 viewsHerbivore

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:01 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

I think that's exposing Clements quite a bit. Celina isn't going to do as much defensively as Edwards does I wouldn't think.

I think it's a bit overlooked that Edwards is often back tidying things up and getting tackles in.

SB

The defensive side of Edwards' game is really good, if Clements is starting on Saturday I'd be tempted to stick with Edwards to give him some protection. Plus you'd expect us to be under pressure at times and his ability to carry the ball up the pitch, often in tight situations, will be beneficial.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:24 - Nov 17 with 934 viewstextbackup

Chaplin starts ahead of celina for me.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:29 - Nov 17 with 906 viewschicoazul

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 09:57 - Nov 17 by NthQldITFC

We can mix and match between them without it needing to be one or the other full stop. Edwards may not be delivering many official assists, but he terrifies full backs and forces opposition right hand sides to sit deeper which can change a game indirectly. Burns similar, but with more actual assists. Great position to be in, and it's one area of the team that doesn't need to be 'settled', in fact it's possibly beneficial for it not to be settled.

All true, I just like both of them and think they give us so much. Burns and Edwards to come on is awesome too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:31 - Nov 17 with 887 viewschicoazul

Hey lads
Remember when our choices up front were Jackson Hawkins Norwood and Folami?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:42 - Nov 17 with 830 viewsunstableblue

I find it a bit concerning that the B team aren't really showing up.. albeit I think the Col U performance was better than some made out.

I would have thought Fraser, El Miz (bar the goal), Piggot, Harper would have been flying out of the blocks to get selected. But not the case. Difficult game to come into. Think it will be positive these cup opportunities keep coming.

Sounds like Walton, Burns and maybe Chaplin came out of it well:
Walton, Burns (Vincent-Young 75), Woolfenden (Burgess 46), Edmundson, Clements, Harper (Edwards 75), El Mizouni, Aluko (c), Chaplin, Fraser, Pigott (Jackson 84). Unused: Hladky, Kenlock, Carroll, Celina, Barry, Jackson.

I do like how Cook is keeping Kenlock and Jackson involved; yes they'll be leaving but use them whilst here for squad/training... they may do an El Miz or a Donacien! but I doubt it.

Struggling to understand the team for Saturday... given Clements, Aluko played 90 and Burns, Edwards 75mins.. seems long for people to be involved in weekend. Also why play Edmundson for 90?

Is it going to be?:

Walton
Burns Toto Edmundson Donacien
Morsy Evans
Aluko Chaplin Celina
Bonne

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:43 - Nov 17 with 820 viewsunstableblue

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:24 - Nov 17 by textbackup

Chaplin starts ahead of celina for me.

I think Chaplin and Celina work well together on the pitch.. Celina wide and Chaplin number 10... but you lose some pace with Edwards not playing.. especially if Aluko is preferred over Burns

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 12:31 - Nov 17 with 675 viewsNthQldITFC

Doesn't sound as though anyone made a case to start at weekend... on 11:42 - Nov 17 by unstableblue

I find it a bit concerning that the B team aren't really showing up.. albeit I think the Col U performance was better than some made out.

I would have thought Fraser, El Miz (bar the goal), Piggot, Harper would have been flying out of the blocks to get selected. But not the case. Difficult game to come into. Think it will be positive these cup opportunities keep coming.

Sounds like Walton, Burns and maybe Chaplin came out of it well:
Walton, Burns (Vincent-Young 75), Woolfenden (Burgess 46), Edmundson, Clements, Harper (Edwards 75), El Mizouni, Aluko (c), Chaplin, Fraser, Pigott (Jackson 84). Unused: Hladky, Kenlock, Carroll, Celina, Barry, Jackson.

I do like how Cook is keeping Kenlock and Jackson involved; yes they'll be leaving but use them whilst here for squad/training... they may do an El Miz or a Donacien! but I doubt it.

Struggling to understand the team for Saturday... given Clements, Aluko played 90 and Burns, Edwards 75mins.. seems long for people to be involved in weekend. Also why play Edmundson for 90?

Is it going to be?:

Walton
Burns Toto Edmundson Donacien
Morsy Evans
Aluko Chaplin Celina
Bonne

I suspect Edmundson played 90 just to try out Wolfie and Burgess with him again for 45 each. From the limited evidence I've seen, I think that Donacien might be the best option for a comfortable-on-the-ball CD pairing, which would let us dominate territory a bit more. On the other hand we're not doing too badly at the moment, so I'd probably keep it as it is.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024