Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? 06:52 - Nov 21 with 1906 viewssolomon

Play offs are still a realistic ambition in my opinion. I know many of you disagree wholeheartedly , probably with good reason. We all knew this rebuilding job wasn’t a quick fix, we are too broken for that, it will come (consistently) good eventually, but we must keep our ambition alive as without it we are nowhere.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:11 - Nov 21 with 1568 viewsBlueBadger

All the 'broken'players were shipped out last summer and the board, players and manager have all been explicit about promotion this season being the first step in the project.

If we want to stand a chance of keeping this squad together plus retaining the services of Bonne, Cellina, etc, etc promotion is essential.
As far as I can tell, all this talk of getting out of the third division being a long term project is a bit of a fantasy claim.
Not getting promoted this season would be a massive failure and a huge setback.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:15 - Nov 21 with 1556 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:11 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

All the 'broken'players were shipped out last summer and the board, players and manager have all been explicit about promotion this season being the first step in the project.

If we want to stand a chance of keeping this squad together plus retaining the services of Bonne, Cellina, etc, etc promotion is essential.
As far as I can tell, all this talk of getting out of the third division being a long term project is a bit of a fantasy claim.

Realistically it seems 50 / 50 at best.

As long as next season there is total ambition and commitment from the owners…..but we’ve been there before.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:19 - Nov 21 with 1548 viewsblueboyd

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:11 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

Couldn't agree more, it is so sad to read people say that it may take time and we might not go up this season. Surely no-one genuinely thinks that.

Ipswich Town, not going to get promoted from the third tier of English Football this season with the players we have, the ownership we have, hell I am not a Paul Cook fan at all BUT even with the manager we have is nothing short of shocking.

If anyone is accepting of another season in League One then I struggle to see how you can even allow that thought other than be surely resigned to it because we are not good enough to try our luck in the Championship.

It should be promotion or bust for Paul Cook, we have to go up this year I can imagine was the remit for this season regardless to what is publicly said by the owners.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:22 - Nov 21 with 1540 viewsHerbivore

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:15 - Nov 21 by solomon

Realistically it seems 50 / 50 at best.

As long as next season there is total ambition and commitment from the owners…..but we’ve been there before.

The fact so many fans now seem to be accepting that next season will be the real push is somewhat depressing. It's November and we're already starting to convince ourselves that not being genuine promotion contenders this season is fine. It's quite a revision of the preseason expectations.

Play offs are still possible this year but our record against the top sides is now played 5, won 1, drawn 2, lost 2, so it's hard to be confident at this point that we could win the play offs. That may change of course. And despite much crowing from some quarters about how good we've been post Bolton debacle, if we were to maintain the form we've shown in those 12 games over our remaining 28 games we'd only amass 73 points and likely miss out on the play offs. For this season to amount to anything we need to kick on, our progress feels like it's stalling if anything.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:27 - Nov 21 with 1525 viewsBlueBadger

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:22 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

The fact so many fans now seem to be accepting that next season will be the real push is somewhat depressing. It's November and we're already starting to convince ourselves that not being genuine promotion contenders this season is fine. It's quite a revision of the preseason expectations.

Play offs are still possible this year but our record against the top sides is now played 5, won 1, drawn 2, lost 2, so it's hard to be confident at this point that we could win the play offs. That may change of course. And despite much crowing from some quarters about how good we've been post Bolton debacle, if we were to maintain the form we've shown in those 12 games over our remaining 28 games we'd only amass 73 points and likely miss out on the play offs. For this season to amount to anything we need to kick on, our progress feels like it's stalling if anything.

I for one, am sick to the back teeth of lack of ambition, free hits and more false dawns than a 'The Office' themed fancy dress party.

Can we PLEASE just kick on now?

If nothing else, if we do that, I'll have to get a whole new schtick of catchphrases.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:29 - Nov 21 with 1517 viewsFixed_It

If we get to the play-offs we will almost certainly have improved our results against the top teams and will be entering the final stages with some momentum. Still too early to give up on the prospect...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:35 - Nov 21 with 1487 viewshype313

We keep waiting and waiting for this run to come together, it hasn't happened, a few nice wins here and there but we really should be in a far better place than we are, and any notion that this was a rebuilding project to get out of this league within 3 years is nonsense when you look at the signings.

I keep finding myself saying "next 3 games" this will tell us where we really are etc, but its more in hope than expectation, kudos to Cook for rigidly sticking to his philosophy, but I fear it maybe his downfall.

As I said in a previous thread, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat high flying Rotherham on Tuesday, to then stink out the place and lose to Crewe, and that would sum up our season in a nutshell.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:37 - Nov 21 with 1493 viewsitfcjoe

Seems to almost be a Stockholm Syndrome amongst our fans, where we just agree to accept less and less.

This season is so far from good enough - it’s as bad as our two previous seasons in League 1 but because we’ve scored a few goals it’s enough for people.

We’ve played 18 games and won 6 of them - we are basically 10 points off the play offs when you look at the games in hand - we’ve already got a mountain to climb.

Cook needs to sort things out and quickly - if not I’d be getting a new man in ahead of the January window. Things don’t get easier in the next few games.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:44 - Nov 21 with 1445 viewsHerbivore

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:29 - Nov 21 by Fixed_It

If we get to the play-offs we will almost certainly have improved our results against the top teams and will be entering the final stages with some momentum. Still too early to give up on the prospect...

It is still too early to give up but at what point do we say it's not really working? What if we're 10 points or more short of the top 6 when we hit halfway? Do we keep saying there's still time or do we say that it's not working and roll the dice? We keep saying there's lots of games still to play as the season ticks on by. We really need to win our two home games this week to get us back on track.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 7:50]

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:48 - Nov 21 with 1439 viewsitfcjoe

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:44 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

It is still too early to give up but at what point do we say it's not really working? What if we're 10 points or more short of the top 6 when we hit halfway? Do we keep saying there's still time or do we say that it's not working and roll the dice? We keep saying there's lots of games still to play as the season ticks on by. We really need to win our two home games this week to get us back on track.

If we lose on Tuesday we’ll need 2 points per game just to hit the 78 point mark that some will tell you we ‘stumbled’ into the play offs with in 2014/15

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:49 - Nov 21 with 1420 viewshype313

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:29 - Nov 21 by Fixed_It

We went from being strong favourites for promotion 3 months ago to "If we get to the Play Offs" in November.

That should tell you all we need to know about how the season is panning out, we're essentially 10 points from the play offs, and we haven't seen anything like putting a run together in Cooks time.

Ruthless is a dirty word in Football, and especially in sleepy Suffolk, but I hope in every facet of the club from top down, we will be under this new ownership.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:53 - Nov 21 with 1371 viewsHerbivore

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:48 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

If we lose on Tuesday we’ll need 2 points per game just to hit the 78 point mark that some will tell you we ‘stumbled’ into the play offs with in 2014/15

Yep, it's not good that we're approaching the half way mark of the season and we need more or less automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just to scrape into the play offs. I am a little surprised that a manager who has been failing hard for the 9 months he's been in the job continues to enjoy unwavering support from such a big chunk of our fan base. One even declared a few weeks back that Cook has got everything right since joining Town, that's just totally delusional.

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:56 - Nov 21 with 1343 viewsblueboyd

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:53 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

Yep, it's not good that we're approaching the half way mark of the season and we need more or less automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just to scrape into the play offs. I am a little surprised that a manager who has been failing hard for the 9 months he's been in the job continues to enjoy unwavering support from such a big chunk of our fan base. One even declared a few weeks back that Cook has got everything right since joining Town, that's just totally delusional.

The support for this club has been very strange recently with some fans seeing nothing wrong with what is happening, it is this 'we go again' mentality that allows people to stop thinking about football and always be looking for the next game - until the games run out and we spend yet another season in League One....

Still let, all take photos of Beer on a train or ourselves on a coach and get brownie points for being 'the best fans ever' for going to football matches.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 08:20 - Nov 21 with 1265 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:19 - Nov 21 by blueboyd

Couldn't agree more, it is so sad to read people say that it may take time and we might not go up this season. Surely no-one genuinely thinks that.

Ipswich Town, not going to get promoted from the third tier of English Football this season with the players we have, the ownership we have, hell I am not a Paul Cook fan at all BUT even with the manager we have is nothing short of shocking.

If anyone is accepting of another season in League One then I struggle to see how you can even allow that thought other than be surely resigned to it because we are not good enough to try our luck in the Championship.

It should be promotion or bust for Paul Cook, we have to go up this year I can imagine was the remit for this season regardless to what is publicly said by the owners.

This isn’t just a test for Paul Cook but more importantly the owners too. As a club we’ve lost our bite and bark probably due to someone who’s had his dirty little paws all over us the decade or so. Personally I’m trying to stay optimistic at this point.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 08:25 - Nov 21 with 1244 viewshomer_123

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:37 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

Seems to almost be a Stockholm Syndrome amongst our fans, where we just agree to accept less and less.

This season is so far from good enough - it’s as bad as our two previous seasons in League 1 but because we’ve scored a few goals it’s enough for people.

We’ve played 18 games and won 6 of them - we are basically 10 points off the play offs when you look at the games in hand - we’ve already got a mountain to climb.

Cook needs to sort things out and quickly - if not I’d be getting a new man in ahead of the January window. Things don’t get easier in the next few games.

Not all fans Joe. Plenty of us have called out that it's not been good enough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:12 - Nov 21 with 1177 viewstimothyeo

Ambition seems to be a dirty word for the OP who is getting ready to excuse another failure of a season.

We should have been targeting the title this season. The squad is there to do that.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:14 - Nov 21 with 1168 viewschrismakin

My main concern is how different are these owners to Evans.

We all started that first season thinking promotion was a cert.

We started this one thinking the same.

Now it's unlikely..

Next season is massive.. what if we don't even go up next season
..do the owners still have the excitement they do now. Or do we suddenly find ourselves back to the Evans days.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:18 - Nov 21 with 1160 viewsTractorWood

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:37 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

Totally agree. Need to be changing imo whilst there is still a glimmer of potential from this season. Any team that is targeting the playoffs invariably doesn't get promoted as the teams capable of promotion target promotion and slip it playoffs.

I really dislike how our fan base sees the playoffs. I know it comes from the Burley years, the best we could have hoped for from the MM years etc but it's not an achievement, it's a tedious and emotional lottery.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:27 - Nov 21 with 1134 viewsmanagement

I concur, the ambition this season was to get promoted this season and we are failing miserably, it actually makes me think Paul Lambert by comparison was overachieving significantly(No I did not rate him BTW), he had to use footballing greats such as Quaner, Dawkins, Earl, Roberts, Bennetts, Thomas, Ward and was KVY his only actually cash purchase? Cook has been lavished and as per their records they are identical.

Paul Lambert 111 games 37-27-47 PPG 1.24 (Some were Championship matches)
Paul Cook 38 games 11-14-13 PPG 1.24

The board did not sanction the loan signings of Walton, Coulsen, Celina and Bonne just to meander in 9th/10th position in League One.

Behind closed doors there is no way the board will be satisfied with the present position ignoring the facade presented via Youtube videos and as stated by a previous message if we fail to go up loan players will return to their parent clubs and we may have to actually sell a few of our assets in order to function financially and some of our better players will have ambitions to play higher.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:32 - Nov 21 with 1114 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:12 - Nov 21 by timothyeo

Ambition seems to be a dirty word for the OP who is getting ready to excuse another failure of a season.

We should have been targeting the title this season. The squad is there to do that.

We are not what we once were, building back our club and stature within football will take time and a hell of a lot of hard work, plus ambition.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 9:55]
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:58 - Nov 21 with 1076 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:14 - Nov 21 by chrismakin

My main concern is how different are these owners to Evans.

We all started that first season thinking promotion was a cert.

We started this one thinking the same.

Now it's unlikely..

Next season is massive.. what if we don't even go up next season
..do the owners still have the excitement they do now. Or do we suddenly find ourselves back to the Evans days.

If that happens then we have to say the Evans days never really ended
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 10:07 - Nov 21 with 1051 viewspointofblue

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:53 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

I’m not in the slightest. I think some see questioning Cook, in a roundabout way, would still be an admittance that maybe He Who Must Not Be Named didn’t do a bad job here and that simply cannot be accepted.

To be honest, that’s the only thing I’m holding onto because otherwise I cannot see the logic of him blindly taking two squads of players - one just a point off the play offs when he arrived, one full of talent, many of whom who would have interested bottom end Championship sides when we signed them - and, if anything, taking us backwards with both whilst getting near universal support.

I’m not saying now is the time to sack Cook but he certainly deserves questions about if he is taking us forward. It’s all very well having a handful of good results but Jewell beat West Ham 5-1 and Doncaster 6-0; we saw where that got us.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 10:08 - Nov 21 with 1046 viewsjayessess

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 09:32 - Nov 21 by solomon

We are not what we once were, building back our club and stature within football will take time and a hell of a lot of hard work, plus ambition.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 9:55]

What is "time" going to change though?
By all accounts we're playing how Cook wants us to play, with the players he wants. It doesn't take dozens and dozens of games to make a group of players into a football team and there's no real reason for us to believe what we are now isn't roughly as good as we're ever going to get without a change of personnel.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 10:25 - Nov 21 with 1015 viewsbilllm

100% agree, we shouldn't be thinking failure in November, oh well there's always next season, the feel good factor would have gone by then, seriously how hard is it to win 3-5 games on the trot like others do, we'd be right back in the play off mix,
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 11:11 - Nov 21 with 984 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 10:25 - Nov 21 by billlm

100% agree, we shouldn't be thinking failure in November, oh well there's always next season, the feel good factor would have gone by then, seriously how hard is it to win 3-5 games on the trot like others do, we'd be right back in the play off mix,

We are making it look very hard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024