Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changes to BBC license fee 13:22 - Jan 12 with 3326 viewsGavTWTD

I heard in PMQs they're proposing changes. Can anyone tell me how it would work in practice?

People talk about the "Netflix model" but how would that work on free to air channels? How would that work on radio? Ultimately, a subscription would cost more than the current license fee, so feels like a lose-lose situation.

The only way I can see it working if they reduce the license fee but then charge for digital/extra stuff.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:23 - Jan 12 with 1911 viewsitfc_bucks

Bluster from the nutter wing of the nutter party, lead by a nutter, advised by a nutter.
Changes to BBC license fee on 13:24 - Jan 12 with 1899 viewshomer_123

License fee = Fantastic value for money as it is

Just leave it alone.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:24 - Jan 12 with 1895 viewsclive_baker

What does it mean for Escape to the Country?

Asking for a friend.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:29 - Jan 12 with 1865 viewsfooters

Ahem, licence is the noun and license the verb.

Anyhoo, what I'd like to point out, as I always do, is that roughly half of Licence Fee revenues go to supporting local cultural, linguistic and artistic projects independent of the BBC so it's not all about watching telly or how crap The One Show is.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:30 - Jan 12 with 1847 viewsRyorry

Sparse in detail as to *how* he'd do it - 0 given in fact.

Current TV licence is a bargain, I'd be willing to pay more for a subscription (but many more might not be able to afford it).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:34 - Jan 12 with 1825 viewsJ2BLUE

Of all the things people could target, going after the license fee is just odd.

I suppose the BBC are a victim of the new age where a growing number of people have more extreme beliefs and anyone who doesn't agree one hundred percent is clearly the enemy. Therefore the BBC upset a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:37 - Jan 12 with 1792 viewsRyorry

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:34 - Jan 12 by J2BLUE

I suppose the BBC are a victim of the new age where a growing number of people have more extreme beliefs and anyone who doesn't agree one hundred percent is clearly the enemy. Therefore the BBC upset a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum.

More about peoples changing viewing habits I think.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:39 - Jan 12 with 1778 viewsJ2BLUE

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:37 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

More about peoples changing viewing habits I think.

That hasn't helped but every right wing nutter seems convinced the BBC is on the left and every left wing nutter thinks it's on the right. Both want to stick it to the other side by defunding the BBC. It's odd.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:46 - Jan 12 with 1753 viewsBlueBadger

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:23 - Jan 12 by itfc_bucks

Bluster from the nutter wing of the nutter party, lead by a nutter, advised by a nutter.

Interesting how these deeply patriotic right wing loons HATE great British indtutuions. At last count they wanted rid of the BBC, NHS, National Trust, the RNLI and trial by jury.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:52 - Jan 12 with 1730 viewsMattinLondon

Due to my line of work I’ve seen a report on this very issue. Basically its proposals are very simple and can be explained by - if the BBC doesn’t jolly well do what we tell it to do then we’ll stop it’s funding.

Def Info.
Changes to BBC license fee on 13:54 - Jan 12 with 1720 viewsSarge

Are free to air channels free anyway given you need to pay a mandatory license fee to watch them?

Personally I wouldn’t mind moving to a subscription model as presumably I could then opt out because for me, I don’t consider it particularly good value at £13/mo for content I don’t access. Contrast that with Netflix and Disney+ which together come to just over £13/mo and are used far more frequently by me.

As it’s been pointed out already though, and as the perfect day promo from the 90s illustrated, the money doesn’t solely go to funding stuff I don’t watch or listen to.

Personally my biggest gripe is with the threatening and condescending letters sent out even after you’ve purchased the license.
Changes to BBC license fee on 13:55 - Jan 12 with 1707 viewsSwansea_Blue

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:23 - Jan 12 by itfc_bucks

I wasn't listening (thankfully), but I know there's a 95% chance that's all there is to it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:00 - Jan 12 with 1696 viewsPinewoodblue

Why don’t we fund a public broadcasting service* ,radio and television , direct from central funds. Surely cheaper that paying someone like Capita to run TV licencsing, and make a profit from it.

Not just direct profit but profit from other Crapita owned businesses providing services to TV Licence services.

* limited to News, local & national, plus perhaps a documentaries .

Cable and satellite companies could add £2 a month to subscriptions to cover main stream BBC services which would be passed in full to the broadcaster.plus programme sponsorship , advertising etc. local radio could be funded via council tax.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:01 - Jan 12 with 1685 viewsBlueBadger

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:00 - Jan 12 by Pinewoodblue

Why don’t we fund a public broadcasting service* ,radio and television , direct from central funds. Surely cheaper that paying someone like Capita to run TV licencsing, and make a profit from it.

Not just direct profit but profit from other Crapita owned businesses providing services to TV Licence services.

* limited to News, local & national, plus perhaps a documentaries .

Cable and satellite companies could add £2 a month to subscriptions to cover main stream BBC services which would be passed in full to the broadcaster.plus programme sponsorship , advertising etc. local radio could be funded via council tax.

It would probably make the beeb even more susceptible to pressure from government toe the party line though,

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:22 - Jan 12 with 1617 viewsMattinLondon

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:54 - Jan 12 by Sarge

Are free to air channels free anyway given you need to pay a mandatory license fee to watch them?

Personally I wouldn’t mind moving to a subscription model as presumably I could then opt out because for me, I don’t consider it particularly good value at £13/mo for content I don’t access. Contrast that with Netflix and Disney+ which together come to just over £13/mo and are used far more frequently by me.

As it’s been pointed out already though, and as the perfect day promo from the 90s illustrated, the money doesn’t solely go to funding stuff I don’t watch or listen to.

Personally my biggest gripe is with the threatening and condescending letters sent out even after you’ve purchased the license.

So you don’t watch anything at all that is on the BBC? Football, tv shows, news, documentaries etc?
Changes to BBC license fee on 14:56 - Jan 12 with 1528 viewsGavTWTD

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:34 - Jan 12 by J2BLUE

If you don't watch or use any of the BBC's services then I can understand why people don't want to pay for it. You might also object to the BBC paying big money to some of its "stars" but I think they are the only legitimate reasons that I can think. Oh and giving "balanced" airtime of fringe political parties on political and news programmes.

No idea why I replied to you J2, apols.

This post has been edited by an administrator

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Changes to BBC license fee on 15:04 - Jan 12 with 1490 viewsITFC_Forever

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:29 - Jan 12 by footers

Ahem, licence is the noun and license the verb.

Anyhoo, what I'd like to point out, as I always do, is that roughly half of Licence Fee revenues go to supporting local cultural, linguistic and artistic projects independent of the BBC so it's not all about watching telly or how crap The One Show is.

To be fair, The One Show is VERY crap.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Changes to BBC license fee on 15:13 - Jan 12 with 1467 viewsArnoldMoorhen

It's a Private Members Bill from Philip Bone, who was too septic a Eurosceptic to be allowed to be part of the Vote Leave campaign, and so set up his own "Grassroots" Exit campaign with another Northamptonshire Right Wing Tory, Philip Hollobone (the one who wears Union Jack tracksuits with a shirt and tie).

As a Private Members Bill it isn't part of the Government programme, the whips won't push for people to vote, and if he loses it has no consequence for the Government. It's basically just one rogue troop firing a few early shots in a peripheral skirmish in the culture war.
Changes to BBC license fee on 15:24 - Jan 12 with 1446 viewsIllinoisblue

Changes to BBC license fee on 13:24 - Jan 12 by clive_baker

What does it mean for Escape to the Country?

Asking for a friend.

My missus found that show on one of our many channels here. She loves British TV and property shows. I however am not a fan; watched a few (these are shows from years ago) and can’t believe you watch for an hour as these morons look at three houses… and then don’t choose one. Wtf is that all about?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Changes to BBC license fee on 15:41 - Jan 12 with 1385 viewsgalacticoblue

I very rarely watch the bbc, there are a few occasions when it is on - I can easily do without. The kids never watch it and it is quite frankly a waste of £160 for me, but hey I may go to prison if I don’t pay it and I stray onto live tv.

I used to watch it all the time and be a big advocate of it - but times have changed from a variety of angles. By all means keep it - but stop charging people for not using it.
Changes to BBC license fee on 15:41 - Jan 12 with 1396 viewsSarge

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:22 - Jan 12 by MattinLondon

So you don’t watch anything at all that is on the BBC? Football, tv shows, news, documentaries etc?

Honestly, no not really.

I avoid watching the news like the plague and whilst once an avid MOTD watcher my interest in the PL has waned. Also whilst I’m glad they are able to show it, I’m not interested in watching FA Cup ties where the minnows of Dartford take on the giants of Watford on a Friday night.

There are rare occasions I watch something on the BBC and hence I’m not complaining about paying a license fee but if it was a subscription I would consider £13/mo very poor value for what I get out of it and would likely have cancelled it already.
Changes to BBC license fee on 16:02 - Jan 12 with 1342 viewstextbackup

Changes to BBC license fee on 14:22 - Jan 12 by MattinLondon

Loads of the younger lads I work with don’t pay the Tv licence, and with that don’t watch anything on bbc.
It’s an easy thing to drop if that’s all you pay £13 for a month

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Changes to BBC license fee on 16:04 - Jan 12 with 1326 viewstextbackup

Changes to BBC license fee on 15:41 - Jan 12 by Sarge

Honestly, no not really.

I avoid watching the news like the plague and whilst once an avid MOTD watcher my interest in the PL has waned. Also whilst I’m glad they are able to show it, I’m not interested in watching FA Cup ties where the minnows of Dartford take on the giants of Watford on a Friday night.

There are rare occasions I watch something on the BBC and hence I’m not complaining about paying a license fee but if it was a subscription I would consider £13/mo very poor value for what I get out of it and would likely have cancelled it already.

I hear ya, £13 to watch a David Attenborough documentary every 18months seems a bit of a hike.
Especially when it can be watched elsewhere shortly after

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Changes to BBC license fee on 16:08 - Jan 12 with 1313 viewsbazza

Basically you turn up at number 10… don’t forget to bring a bottle, and then pop
The money in an honesty box.
[Redacted] on 16:14 - Jan 12 with 1279 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024