Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First ever away game 10:34 - Mar 22 with 5933 viewsChurchman

I noticed this on the Sunderland forum. My first ever away game was Arsenal in 1972. We won 1-0. I was struck by how grand and big Highbury was compared to PR, but thought the open terrace Clock End looked a bit rubbish.
First ever away game on 11:56 - Mar 22 with 949 viewsDJR

I think it was the Chelmsford City v Ipswich FA Cup Third Round on 13 January 1973 which I went to with my dad. My first away game on my own (at the age of 13) was the Texaco Cup Final at Norwich later that season.
First ever away game on 11:59 - Mar 22 with 942 viewsGlasgowBlue

Highbury 1978. FA Cup Semi final. I couldn’t believe how big and how high up we were.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

First ever away game on 12:09 - Mar 22 with 915 viewsPendejo

Arsenal March 1977 - so 45 years ago, we wore yellow, Laurie Sivell in goal.

We were awesome

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First ever away game on 12:09 - Mar 22 with 913 viewsChurchman

First ever away game on 11:40 - Mar 22 by Beckets

Arsenal for me too. October 1969 0-0. Think we lost 1-0 in 1972 btw.

You are right. I’ve just checked. How depressing - and what a shocking memory.
First ever away game on 12:12 - Mar 22 with 908 viewsSuperblue95

First ever away game on 10:53 - Mar 22 by Kieran_Knows

MK Dons away in the League Cup (or whatever it was called) when we went out on penalties .... bloody Dan Harding!

That was my first away game too!

Pretty sure about 70% of the town fans groaned and started to leave before Harding had even taken it!

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

First ever away game on 12:12 - Mar 22 with 908 viewsFtnfwest

Feyenoord 1975, with Sir Trevor of Whymark scoring my first ever away goal. Next one wasn't until 1978. Millwall......
First ever away game on 12:15 - Mar 22 with 902 viewswoodbridge_blue

Texaco Cup Final second leg at Carrot Road.

My dad was a taxi driver in Woodbridge at the time, and although he wasn't interested in the slightest in football he arranged for me to go with three of his fellow drivers.

Vague recollection of sitting on a barrier at the back corner of the River End, with a scary drop behind me so for most of the match I wad holding on for dear life!!

Can't remember much about the game unfortunately.
First ever away game on 12:34 - Mar 22 with 855 viewslongtimefan

5th April 1975. FA Cup semi final draw vs West Ham at Villa Park. Wasn't allowed to go to the replay at Stamford Bridge as it was a school night!
Login to get fewer ads

First ever away game on 12:35 - Mar 22 with 858 viewsIllinoisblue

Leicester 1989. 1-0 win. Loved the sway of the terraces. Had only been in Churchmans up until then so wasn’t used to the noise and swearing and smell of beer.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First ever away game on 12:35 - Mar 22 with 857 viewsLower_North

Norwich away 1977 , won 1-0 Whymark scored.

Just remembered being hemmed in the Barcaly end, there were thousands of us , couldn't see the goal at all. Great day!
First ever away game on 12:40 - Mar 22 with 846 viewsexeterblue10

First ever away game on 10:37 - Mar 22 by JakeITFC

1-0 away win at Highfield Road in 2000/01, Wilnis last minute.

I remember Fab’s goal and the parking ticket I picked up on/near Highfield Road. Better than St Andrews where I got a brick through the car window. My first was QPR away in ‘85 (we lost 1-0). Dodgy plastic pitch with the ball bouncing all over the place...
First ever away game on 12:42 - Mar 22 with 834 viewstextbackup

Southend away 91/92ish (just read the post below, was 1996!)
Lost 2-1, watched a load of town fans try and climb a fence with non drying paint on the top, then fighting in the side stands.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 4:08]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

First ever away game on 12:51 - Mar 22 with 813 viewspablo_canooga

Southend United
L 2-1
Mike Marsh worldie won it for them at the death.

Milton scored for Town in that Jade/Burgundy away kit. Boiling hot day, anti-climb paint on the fencing in front of the stand plus some moderate football violence at the end!
First ever away game on 12:53 - Mar 22 with 811 viewsTractorCam

2-1 win at Watford, 03/04. Magilton chip and Kuqi's first Town goal.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

First ever away game on 13:04 - Mar 22 with 796 viewsIllinoisblue

First ever away game on 11:00 - Mar 22 by SWGF

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

They lure you in with the best three games of your life and then you shall suffer

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First ever away game on 13:26 - Mar 22 with 776 viewsSWGF

First ever away game on 13:04 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

They lure you in with the best three games of your life and then you shall suffer

As a naïve 15yr old, I thought they were all going to be like that, from then. No reason to think not...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

First ever away game on 13:28 - Mar 22 with 774 viewsSWGF

First ever away game on 11:04 - Mar 22 by hype313

Did you go by coach? I remember having to walk through Stanley Park in the dark and everyone was buying bottles of water to wash the dog mess of their trainers.

I did! Only time I've got the coach. Was a bit of a trek for my big brother's unreliable Mini Metro 1.0l

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

First ever away game on 13:30 - Mar 22 with 773 viewsSWGF

First ever away game on 13:26 - Mar 22 by SWGF

As a naïve 15yr old, I thought they were all going to be like that, from then. No reason to think not...

Actually....on recount, Watford is squeezed in there

First ever away game on 13:34 - Mar 22 with 758 viewsN2_Blue

My first away game - 21 Dec 1992 - Norwich City 0 - 2 Ipswich Town.
Still one of my favourite football memories 30 years later!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

First ever away game on 13:51 - Mar 22 with 732 viewsrunaround

Crystal Palace in September 1987. We won 2-1 with goals from Cranson and Lowe and I got to lord it over Palace supporting friends and family
First ever away game on 13:55 - Mar 22 with 730 viewsChurchman

First ever away game on 11:04 - Mar 22 by hype313

Did you go by coach? I remember having to walk through Stanley Park in the dark and everyone was buying bottles of water to wash the dog mess of their trainers.

I was on a Galloway bus too and had to trudge through Stanley Park. It harder to avoid the dog mess after the game in the dark. A ffing police horse nearly knocked me over outside the away end too. What it was doing there, goodness only knows given our lot we’re hardly going to kick off.

The only other bus trip we did was to the Wolves FA cup away cup game a year or two later.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 14:15]
First ever away game on 14:01 - Mar 22 with 726 viewsRadlett_blue

First ever away game on 11:23 - Mar 22 by giant_stow

Mine was the battle of Highbury (or the first I can remember at least):

We were sat in the East stand and things got a little heated to match the game. When they scored the winner, we had a couple of hundred people going nuts in our faces (we'd celebrated the Norwich goals openly). The result still stings.

Unfortunately, if you are stuck with the home supporters, the rules of being an away fan are simple. Sit down, shut up & bask in the warm glow if your team scores.
I had the misfortune of watching Town 0 Liverpool 6 with 2 quietly gloating Scousers sitting right behind me, which made a painful experience far worse.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

First ever away game on 14:12 - Mar 22 with 706 viewsbluelagos

Thinking it was either West Ham or Cambridge. West Ham in the FA cup which went to 2 replays.

Cambridge in the League Cup.

Whichever was earlier - both mid 80s.

Edit. Both were in 1986. West Ham was in Jan, Cambridge in Oct.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 14:15]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

First ever away game on 14:23 - Mar 22 with 695 viewshype313

First ever away game on 13:28 - Mar 22 by SWGF

I did! Only time I've got the coach. Was a bit of a trek for my big brother's unreliable Mini Metro 1.0l

That was my first away and coach game, I followed it by doing the Coach to Swindon a few months later (think Warky scored a couple) and haven't done a coach since.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

First ever away game on 14:24 - Mar 22 with 694 viewsLeaky

Luton 1 ITown 4 14/9/1974
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024