Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All-white Women Euro 2022 team 22:42 - Jul 28 with 10506 viewsOldsmoker

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12647577/womens-euros-2022-all-whi

Hmmm. Is this a thing?
Is the team racist?
We have a centre forward called White - is that the slam dunk obvious fact that says Yes - we are a racist team.
Alex Scott is part of the BBC team of presenters so does that mean no (??).
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:42]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:04 - Jul 29 with 1133 viewsclive_baker

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:03 - Jul 29 by CornishMariner

Training in the morning and then straight down to Ipswich for the match :)

Excellent, make sure she takes her boots with her.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:06 - Jul 29 with 1105 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:54 - Jul 29 by ZXBlue

Whilst I would often agree, I don't see how one can readily reach that conclusion here. Many of the team's previous best known players have not been white; from Alex Scott, through the likes of Rachel Yankey and so on. Furthermore, 3 of the squad are black, of course.

There may be some reasons that the increased interest in womens football has resonated less with some communities than others, of course. Those reasons are not necessarily sinister, but you need far wider consideration fo stats over time to reach that view in any event.

I didn't make any conclusions other than coincidence is unlikely to be why the current team are all white. The point is why is that the case and 2 or 3 posters have offered possible reasons why young black girls find it more difficult to access the game as a player.

Maybe the FA should be looking into it as all kids need positive role models and sport should be all inclusive.

Hope that's not too woke of me.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:09 - Jul 29 with 1088 viewsBluefields

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:43 - Jul 29 by ibbleobble

Are you implying there’s institutional racism in the women’s game and that white women are afforded more opportunity than other ethnicities? England is 86% white so it’s no surprise that a team is predominantly white.

Wokism on steroids if there’s serious scrutiny around the demographic of an all white team in a country where the vast majority of people are white.

Could you explain wokism to me?
There is an issue with diversity in the womens game; I had this conversation with my daughter earlier this year whilst we were watching a WSL game. Not sure the reasons why or what the solutions could be but there is a definite lack of black and asian players at the top level.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:11 - Jul 29 with 1080 viewsMattinLondon

Depends on what the word ‘diversity’ means to people. If people want it to reflect the makeup of the country then there will be at least two or three members of the squad who are black etc. I’m no expert on the WSL - are there a lot of English players who are black etc who are banging on the door for international call up?

A few things to take onboard.

Women’s football has been the subject of ridicule for many years and it hasn’t been financially lucrative to play when compared to higher grade athletics for example. Now that the sport is being taken a lot more serious with the money also getting a lot better then more girls and women from more diverse backgrounds should take it up. If not, then there will be a problem that needs addressing.

If you compare it to mens football then why isn’t there more backgrounds represented in woman’s football? As I said I’m no expert in the WSL so I could be wide of the mark here.

And, I’m comparison to other sports how does the representation of international teams compare to football?
got an uppy from rickw on 09:14 - Jul 29 with 1070 viewsblueasfook

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:53 - Jul 29 by blueasfook

What a ridiculous question that the team is racist. There have been a number of BAME players in the England team over the years.

The lack of BAME players in the current team is notable but the reasons for it are not because the team is racist.

yay! thanks rickw

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:22 - Jul 29 with 1032 viewsParky

Ghana won’t have any white players at the World Cup, pure racism from them.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:32 - Jul 29 with 997 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

It's disingenuous to dismiss it as a coincidence. There are likely to be a number of reasons why the England team is all white and I doubt coincidence is one of them.

Agender is a whole different debate.

Please!

Loads of the top England players have been black in recent years, the fact they are all white now means nothing.

Select the best, irrelevant of colour.

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:32 - Jul 29 with 1003 viewsRonFearonsHair

Here is the team that made it to the final in 2009

Login to get fewer ads

I’m pretty sure that Hope Powell…. on 09:33 - Jul 29 with 1002 viewsBloots

….would have mentioned it during her 15 years as manager.

But only if it had existed.

Which it didn’t.

And still doesn’t.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:35 - Jul 29 with 987 viewsMookamoo

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

It's disingenuous to dismiss it as a coincidence. There are likely to be a number of reasons why the England team is all white and I doubt coincidence is one of them.

Agender is a whole different debate.

I read/listened to something a while back, but can't find it now (it was possibly on More or Less) that talked about the money that was going into the women's game. They were doing the right thing by adding extra funding to women's football and it was a genuine attempt to do better.

As pointed out on a number of these comments, the problem was they pumped money into existing rural centres which inadvertently alienated those from an urban setting, as transport, time and parental commitment became a factor.

The accusation of inherent racism came as a result of all the decision makers being from a white middle class background and simply not understanding the complex needs and dynamics of those urban players from non-white communities.

The lack of diversity within the current England team is a direct result of a white bias - either overtly or not is up to your reading of the situation. You could argue its a class issue and not a race related, but they're inextricably linked anyway.
You’d be 100% correct… on 09:35 - Jul 29 with 989 viewsBloots

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

The women's team that have played this tournament aren'tt predominantly white. They are white, 100%.

Certainly questions should be asked.

Now get back to the Daily Mail comments section where you can happily debate wokism with your mates.

….if you weren’t wrong.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:39 - Jul 29 with 984 viewsDyland

It's not "a thing", no, and as the game gets more money pumped in we'll probably see more diversity based on backgrounds/upbringing as much as ethnicity (which like it or not does affect demographics in the wider sense).

Note also the last fifteen years of austerity and pressure on living, which yeh, is a political point, but not intended to cause an argument about the clusterfook incompetent venal shameless sh1tshower that is the post 2008 Tory party :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:40 - Jul 29 with 987 viewsBlueBlood90

Absolute PC rubbish as always.

I can only name four womens players/managers over the past 20 years and they are Eni Aluko, Hope Powell, Rachel Yankey and Alex Scott.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:41 - Jul 29 with 979 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:06 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

I didn't make any conclusions other than coincidence is unlikely to be why the current team are all white. The point is why is that the case and 2 or 3 posters have offered possible reasons why young black girls find it more difficult to access the game as a player.

Maybe the FA should be looking into it as all kids need positive role models and sport should be all inclusive.

Hope that's not too woke of me.

Have a day off.

RIP Sir Bobby

What Lancers said innit on 09:43 - Jul 29 with 972 viewsDyland

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:01 - Jul 29 by LancsBlue

The answer lies lower down the scale. My daughter spent two years at Man City and three years at Everton up to age 16. There is absolutely no money in girls football in those age groups . Many have to buy their own kit and arrange their own transport to training and matches. We were travelling over 30 miles to Liverpool three times a week whilst she was at Everton. Consequently the game at that age relies on parents financing it, so consequently it is largely a middle-class thing. The car-park for training was full of new and expensive cars. Without a car it would be impossible. Even in Manchester and Liverpool my daughter only had four black teamates in five years, no asians and very few white kids from working class backgrounds.

nftffs

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:48 - Jul 29 with 954 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:41 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Have a day off.

WTF????? If you're not interested in discussing diversity just start another thread on Jackson and ignore this one.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:56 - Jul 29 with 945 viewsDyland

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:35 - Jul 29 by Mookamoo

I read/listened to something a while back, but can't find it now (it was possibly on More or Less) that talked about the money that was going into the women's game. They were doing the right thing by adding extra funding to women's football and it was a genuine attempt to do better.

As pointed out on a number of these comments, the problem was they pumped money into existing rural centres which inadvertently alienated those from an urban setting, as transport, time and parental commitment became a factor.

The accusation of inherent racism came as a result of all the decision makers being from a white middle class background and simply not understanding the complex needs and dynamics of those urban players from non-white communities.

The lack of diversity within the current England team is a direct result of a white bias - either overtly or not is up to your reading of the situation. You could argue its a class issue and not a race related, but they're inextricably linked anyway.

Good post.

I think calling this kind of thing class or even demographic bias is possibly more helpful to the debate and more meaningfully engaging with people who may unconsciously not acknowledge their own prejudices.

But what do I know, I'm a washed up old Suffolk honky :)

For the record, I'm also fine calling it out as racism. Luckily I'm not a Male Online and can discuss social issues without having a meltdown even if I'm accused of stuff I don't agree I am or think or whatever.

Oh fook this, I'm off on a pub crawl.

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:57 - Jul 29 with 944 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:48 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

WTF????? If you're not interested in discussing diversity just start another thread on Jackson and ignore this one.

Eh?! Are you ok?

The fact the poster said the FA should look into why the England team is white is just a joke.

Its very simple, are you ready?? Its because, they are the best XI available, end of.

Understand?

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:10 - Jul 29 with 902 viewsZXBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:57 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Eh?! Are you ok?

The fact the poster said the FA should look into why the England team is white is just a joke.

Its very simple, are you ready?? Its because, they are the best XI available, end of.

Understand?

What a silly post.

If there is a marked disparity, it is clearly sensible to think abotu and look into the reasons.

Equally, i think some are over selling it in this instance.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:17 - Jul 29 with 889 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:10 - Jul 29 by ZXBlue

What a silly post.

If there is a marked disparity, it is clearly sensible to think abotu and look into the reasons.

Equally, i think some are over selling it in this instance.

Not silly at all, those making something out of nothing are the silly ones.

THe team is white, the team is excellent, just enjoy it!

Rather than trying to make a story where there isn't one.

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:23 - Jul 29 with 880 viewsVaughan8

Where does this stop though?

All the 100m, 200m and 400m sprinters in the commonwealth games for England are black. Why the lack of diversity there?

I think the football is more a class thing as there is no money in girls football and only the people who can afford it can take their child to it. Not sure how it compares to boys football as it seems their parents also have to scarifice a lot too.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:33 - Jul 29 with 867 viewsHighgateBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:14 - Jul 29 by jeera

"that the best of the current crop available".

You're coming at this from completely the wrong angle.

The question is why some people had the opportunity to reach a place of being the best crop available over others.

This attitude is seriously a few decades old and if it was still applied to the men's game or other sports/roles in life it would suggest some extremely unsavoury connotations.

We're used to seeing large numbers of people of colour in men's teams now, and thankfully the large majority of fans welcome that diversity.

Partly as a result, it is striking when we see a team that is all white. To modern English eyes it does look like something from a different era. It is important that we notice these things and important that policy makers try to understand whether there are any structural issues at play that need to be improved either by evolution or revolution.

However, if there is going to be serious analysis of what is going on, it is worth considering the facts. I may be wrong in terms of how some of these women identify, in which case my bad, but it seems to me that there are 3 out of the 23 woman squad who might reasonably considered not to fall within the "White" demographic category that is typically used on an official basis. (also, numerous newspapers are reporting that 3 out of 23 are black, so this seems to be correct).

I appreciate we're talking England rather than the UK, but the gov.uk website says that 87% of people are white. This squad appears to have 86.95% of white players.

Yes, the 11 on the pitch that have been picked have at times been white. That is clearly because the coach considers them to be the best 11 available for winning a particular game. When looked at like that, the poster to whom you have replied does have a point. The "current crop" is the 23, and the 11 women selected are deemed to be the best of those 23 available.

The squad is ethnically representative of the country. It is more white than men's squads, yes, and that is a subject that is worthy of consideration. But if one is to assert (particularly in the same breath as calling others antiquated) that the problem is that some ethnic groups are getting different opportunities, one does need to start from a factual position, and that factual position appears to be that the squad is not unreasonably representative of the country.

It would certainly be a real shame for all sorts of reasons to see two entirely white teams line up in the final, and I do hope that's not the case.

In diversity terms, it is also worth celebrating the massive boost that these Euros has given to gender equality in sport in this country, and indeed much greater representation of diversity of sexuality in football which one would hope might positively influence the men's game, or at least the attitudes of some fans who are involved in it.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:44 - Jul 29 with 841 viewsZXBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:17 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Not silly at all, those making something out of nothing are the silly ones.

THe team is white, the team is excellent, just enjoy it!

Rather than trying to make a story where there isn't one.

Its either silly or ignoprant to simply ignore a marked disparity rather than recognise the importance of considering the reasons.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:06 - Jul 29 with 807 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:44 - Jul 29 by ZXBlue

Its either silly or ignoprant to simply ignore a marked disparity rather than recognise the importance of considering the reasons.

But its only this current team, you are blinkered by this squad!

I coach girls football and there are plenty of black/asian/etc girls in the teams I play against, there is ample opportunity for all to get involved.

Stop looking for things that aren't there!!

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:09 - Jul 29 with 805 viewsDMDC

Please,we didnt even need a thread like this. It should have been pulled. You have to be a fool to even post such nonsense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024