Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All-white Women Euro 2022 team 22:42 - Jul 28 with 10507 viewsOldsmoker

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12647577/womens-euros-2022-all-whi

Hmmm. Is this a thing?
Is the team racist?
We have a centre forward called White - is that the slam dunk obvious fact that says Yes - we are a racist team.
Alex Scott is part of the BBC team of presenters so does that mean no (??).
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:42]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:43 - Jul 29 with 1521 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:55 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

Spot on. People looking for something that just isn't there. This is when twtd is at its worst.

See: BlueBadger
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:56 - Jul 29 with 1496 viewsSwansea_Blue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:43 - Jul 29 by MalcolmMeatballHead

See: BlueBadger

Been on here less than 3 weeks* and you’re calling posters out. Not a good look.

*with this username at least.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:57 - Jul 29 with 1485 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bonkers op. Has someone been in the sauce?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:58 - Jul 29 with 1480 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:56 - Jul 29 by Swansea_Blue

Been on here less than 3 weeks* and you’re calling posters out. Not a good look.

*with this username at least.

I've been reading the board for longer than you've been writing on it I bet you
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:28 - Jul 29 with 1457 viewsgtsb1966

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 19:24 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

Several people on this thread have suggested reasons why young black girls might be disadvantaged when trying to take up football and they all sound reasonable to me. You can keep your head in the sand and believe everything is hunkydory if you like.

So if the most successful team in English women's football were all black players what would you say?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:52 - Jul 29 with 1430 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:28 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

So if the most successful team in English women's football were all black players what would you say?

Is this a trick question or are you completely misunderstanding the premise of diversity?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:59 - Jul 29 with 1414 viewsgtsb1966

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:52 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

Is this a trick question or are you completely misunderstanding the premise of diversity?

No...I'm asking the question as to why you think a successful England football team who are white is a problem. Personally I wouldn't care if they were all white or all black so what's your problem?
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 22:00]
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 23:49 - Jul 29 with 1351 viewsVegtablue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:59 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

No...I'm asking the question as to why you think a successful England football team who are white is a problem. Personally I wouldn't care if they were all white or all black so what's your problem?

I'll give you my personal answer to that - don't wish to speak for Barca.

Football is our national game. We've collectively set out that we want it to be as inclusive as possible and we accept it isn't intrinsically played better or worse based on racial/ethnic characteristics.

Given the above, it is sensible for a lionesses team with disproportionately low levels of diversity in skin colour to come under the microscope. If the team were all black then this would be more striking, as the visual representation would be starkly different to what we may anticipate for our national team playing our national game.

Investigating may point to a simple explanation but it will likely be multifaceted. I'd be aghast if blunt racial discrimination is behind it and I'd be surprised if anyone contributing to this thread believes that to be the culprit.

It may be the women's game is already as far-reaching as we want it be and it's purely coincidental our best 15 players are white, which would be a fine conclusion to draw if it has merit. You need to do the legwork to confirm this though; it deserves study quite simply. My own instincts are that time is catching up and we will see greater representation as this marches on.

What seems to be creating most of the friction on this thread is people connecting the cause for pause that I've laid out above with being Debbie Downers over the tournament and our lionesses. In no way do my thoughts detract from my enjoyment of the current team and the successes we've had, nor am I more or less supportive of them based on the individual or collective colour of their skin. It is for people with agency to muse over our 'diversity discrepancy' and it is right that they do.
Login to get fewer ads

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 00:29 - Jul 30 with 1330 viewsbazza

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:22 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Because its not an issue!!!!!

You are being very selective, choosing one squad at this one tournament.

Do you really not see?!

Go watch a girls/ladies game locally... you'll change your view.

In fact go watch Ipswich!! Our best player is black.

Wes burns is black !!! Blimey I need a seat nearer the pitch !!
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:03 - Jul 30 with 1236 viewsringwoodblue

Can’t change the here and now but there should be nationwide initiatives in place to encourage more BAME girls to get involved in football and, like with the mens game, they will start to come through at the top level.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:23 - Jul 30 with 1226 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:03 - Jul 30 by ringwoodblue

Can’t change the here and now but there should be nationwide initiatives in place to encourage more BAME girls to get involved in football and, like with the mens game, they will start to come through at the top level.

No there shouldn’t.

Ffs

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:48 - Jul 30 with 1203 viewsblueislander

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:23 - Jul 30 by Wallingford_Boy

No there shouldn’t.

Ffs

If the OP just related his post to a lack of diversity in women’s football, and lack of opportunities for black and Asian girls there could have been a reasonable discussion, but to relate it to the fact that the current England team are all white turned it into a contentious issue.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:50 - Jul 30 with 1201 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:23 - Jul 30 by Wallingford_Boy

No there shouldn’t.

Ffs

There shouldn't be initiatives put in place to encourage young black girls to get into football??? Are you serious?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:28 - Jul 30 with 1161 viewsMookamoo

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 21:59 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

What a spectacular demonstration of missing the point entirely.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:30 - Jul 30 with 1150 viewsthe_toff

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:41 - Jul 29 by Bogblue

Germany's was all-white too, particularly noticable when they were playing against the diverse French team

Wasn’t something I noticed to be honest
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:32 - Jul 30 with 1147 viewsOldsmoker

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:57 - Jul 29 by Swansea_Blue

Bonkers op. Has someone been in the sauce?

I read the Sky article and thought this is boll*ks.
I flagged it up on here accompanied by my usual drivel.

..and yes I was 'on the sauce.'

Didn't think it had the legs for a 4-pager.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 13:47 - Jul 30 with 1075 viewsLord_Lucan

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 12:39 - Jul 29 by timothyeo

Saw this raised before, but I'm not sure where the problem actually is.

I note Swedens national team was 100% white, whilst Nigeria's was 100% black.

I note that the England women's team has had a number of black players represent them, none moreso than Alex Scott who's highly respected as a pundit now too.

The england youth teams have a fairly decent diversity too, so I don't see an argument they're not getting opportunities.

I think this kind of where I am at.

Alex Scott came into my head when I first became aware of the original presenters comments.

I can't genuinely believe that there is a racist issue here but more likely a historic system that has for whatever reason offered more opportunities, pitches, school facilities to shall we say the "More privileged" in society - which of course would also be detrimental to working class white girls - so I think it's a class thing rather than a black thing.

The other possible explanation is that football simply isn't / wasn't a big thing amongst black girls, I don't really know, just a thought.

I don't know much about womens football so I don't know how many black girls are near to the team or squad but haven't been selected because they aren't as good as the current 11.

But, if you are correct and there is more diversity in the youth teams then I think that backs up the original privilege and popularity explanation.

I also suspect that the success of the team will make more girls from across the spectrum become interested in it.

Maybe I'm living under a rock but I really think it's an opportunity and interest issue over race.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 13:49]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:43 - Aug 1 with 988 viewsitfcjoe

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 13:47 - Jul 30 by Lord_Lucan

I think this kind of where I am at.

Alex Scott came into my head when I first became aware of the original presenters comments.

I can't genuinely believe that there is a racist issue here but more likely a historic system that has for whatever reason offered more opportunities, pitches, school facilities to shall we say the "More privileged" in society - which of course would also be detrimental to working class white girls - so I think it's a class thing rather than a black thing.

The other possible explanation is that football simply isn't / wasn't a big thing amongst black girls, I don't really know, just a thought.

I don't know much about womens football so I don't know how many black girls are near to the team or squad but haven't been selected because they aren't as good as the current 11.

But, if you are correct and there is more diversity in the youth teams then I think that backs up the original privilege and popularity explanation.

I also suspect that the success of the team will make more girls from across the spectrum become interested in it.

Maybe I'm living under a rock but I really think it's an opportunity and interest issue over race.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 13:49]

I'm reading a book about football academies at the moment, and just happened to read a chapter about women's football and lack of diversity in it last night so quite apt for this thread.

It's basically a class thing rather than specifically on race, but that obviously effects BAME participation more as there are much higher percentages of BAME people in inner cities.

Was mentioned earlier in the thread that in North West all facilities are out of town, and therefore very hard to get to for inner city kids, also lack of money in the game - it was noted that in one year Brentford said that they spent £200k just transporting boys to academy training via a mixture of taxis, bus fares, train fares etc and clubs simply aren't going to do that for girls teams so inner city kids aren't getting involved.

Was also noted that these families are often single mother families, and that the girls expected to pick up more of the slack at looking after siblings and the general household than boys do because of gender roles - that is obviously harder to change than just getting people out of cities to training grounds. This visibility will help, as will the fact it can be a job now which hasn't always been the case.

When you see what can and has been achieved when the sport still isn't accessible to great swathes of the population (and the part of the population that is disproportionately represented in mens game) then you hope it allows to more of investment to try and get these girls into the professional game and the talent pool is widened further.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:47 - Aug 1 with 904 viewsChurchman

This never occurred to me watching yesterday but then to quote the great Lindsey Vonn, I don’t see colour.

I’m sure (and hope) the England womens’ team is picked on merit alone, along with most teams these days. The key to this is in this thread for me. Education and opportunity - something the also great Ian Wright is very right on. Opportunity for all and an education system that views it as very important and not an ‘add on’.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:22 - Aug 1 with 846 viewsLord_Lucan

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 09:47 - Aug 1 by Churchman

This never occurred to me watching yesterday but then to quote the great Lindsey Vonn, I don’t see colour.

I’m sure (and hope) the England womens’ team is picked on merit alone, along with most teams these days. The key to this is in this thread for me. Education and opportunity - something the also great Ian Wright is very right on. Opportunity for all and an education system that views it as very important and not an ‘add on’.

I’d like to think I’m the same, when someone posted on here about a year or so (not in a derogatory way) that all the panellists at a big game were black I hadn’t noticed.

Now I may be short sighted and I know that racism exists through the globe and in fact impacts all colours and walks of life I think things have changed for good over time and continue to do so - I also think UK is one of the least racist countries in the world.

I doubt racism and religious bigotry will ever be fully quashed but only through the course of time will we achieve 99% success

I do though feel that highlighting things that aren’t necessarily there is massively counterproductive

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:38 - Aug 1 with 827 viewsStokieBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:22 - Aug 1 by Lord_Lucan

I’d like to think I’m the same, when someone posted on here about a year or so (not in a derogatory way) that all the panellists at a big game were black I hadn’t noticed.

Now I may be short sighted and I know that racism exists through the globe and in fact impacts all colours and walks of life I think things have changed for good over time and continue to do so - I also think UK is one of the least racist countries in the world.

I doubt racism and religious bigotry will ever be fully quashed but only through the course of time will we achieve 99% success

I do though feel that highlighting things that aren’t necessarily there is massively counterproductive

"I also think UK is one of the least racist countries in the world."

I think if you were from an ethnic minority in the UK rather than a white male you might have a different opinion about this.

"Yet this is a long way from how black Britons would describe the status quo, with a poll by the Henry Jackson Society finding 57% of Black Britons believe the UK to be a racist country, with that figure — perhaps unsurprisingly — falling to 29% for the public at large. On policing, 54% of Black Britons told CNN they believe the police are institutionally racist, compared to just 27% of white respondents; while Black Britons were more than twice as likely to find statues of slave traders offensive. Is Britain racist? It depends who you ask. The majority of those subject to anti-Black racism think it is."

Those who have to deal with the racism disagree with you and they are the ones we should be listening to. There is also a disturbing uptick in racism against people of far east Asian descent.

As you say, hopefully over time this will become a non-issue.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:55 - Aug 1 with 780 viewsLord_Lucan

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:38 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

"I also think UK is one of the least racist countries in the world."

I think if you were from an ethnic minority in the UK rather than a white male you might have a different opinion about this.

"Yet this is a long way from how black Britons would describe the status quo, with a poll by the Henry Jackson Society finding 57% of Black Britons believe the UK to be a racist country, with that figure — perhaps unsurprisingly — falling to 29% for the public at large. On policing, 54% of Black Britons told CNN they believe the police are institutionally racist, compared to just 27% of white respondents; while Black Britons were more than twice as likely to find statues of slave traders offensive. Is Britain racist? It depends who you ask. The majority of those subject to anti-Black racism think it is."

Those who have to deal with the racism disagree with you and they are the ones we should be listening to. There is also a disturbing uptick in racism against people of far east Asian descent.

As you say, hopefully over time this will become a non-issue.

SB

They disagree that UK is one of the least racist countries in the world or they think racism exists in Britain.

Those two are completely different things, but then you know that don't you.

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:07 - Aug 1 with 758 viewsStokieBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:55 - Aug 1 by Lord_Lucan

They disagree that UK is one of the least racist countries in the world or they think racism exists in Britain.

My point was more around the fact that's it's irrelevant how racist the UK is compared to the rest of the world, what matters is the feelings and opinions of those who live in the UK and feel it's racist.

I thought that was fairly clear.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 14:11 - Aug 1 with 655 viewsGlasgowBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:55 - Aug 1 by Lord_Lucan

Out of 78 countries worldwide, we are ranked as 16th in the table of least racist countries.

'Generally, the most tolerant countries in both studies were Scandinavian countries, Latin countries, and the United Kingdom and its former colonies (Australia, Canada, and New Zealand). In contrast, the least racially tolerant countries (Qatar, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka) tended to be located in Africa and Asia'.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/least-racist-countries

And this may not meet with universal agreement on here but can you think of any party, let alone a right of centre Conservative party from the USA through Japan to Europe, that would have such a diverse leadership list as we saw when Johnson quit?

Even if you think that the individuals who put themselves forward are appalling people themselves, doesn’t it say something good about the UK and it's diversity?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 14:29 - Aug 1 with 585 viewsberkstractorboy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

The women's team that have played this tournament aren'tt predominantly white. They are white, 100%.

Certainly questions should be asked.

Now get back to the Daily Mail comments section where you can happily debate wokism with your mates.

A little pedantic but Parris played 3 mins at the end of ET vs Spain

But you have to wonder why the England squad is not as diverse as it should be given the population of England. I think its all the lack of investment and chances to all women at the grass roots level that mean women of colour are getting less opportunities. I don't recall that many non-white women in the WSL last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024