Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All-white Women Euro 2022 team 22:42 - Jul 28 with 10504 viewsOldsmoker

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12647577/womens-euros-2022-all-whi

Hmmm. Is this a thing?
Is the team racist?
We have a centre forward called White - is that the slam dunk obvious fact that says Yes - we are a racist team.
Alex Scott is part of the BBC team of presenters so does that mean no (??).
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:42]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:14 - Jul 29 with 1581 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:09 - Jul 29 by DMDC

Please,we didnt even need a thread like this. It should have been pulled. You have to be a fool to even post such nonsense.

Agree.

Phil - can we delete this one please? Its completely inappropriate!

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:20 - Jul 29 with 1552 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:14 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Agree.

Phil - can we delete this one please? Its completely inappropriate!

Why are you so keen to shut down debate on diversity in women's football? It's not inappropriate at all, whatever your opinion may be.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:20 - Jul 29 with 1559 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:22 - Jul 29 with 1555 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:20 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

Why are you so keen to shut down debate on diversity in women's football? It's not inappropriate at all, whatever your opinion may be.

Because its not an issue!!!!!

You are being very selective, choosing one squad at this one tournament.

Do you really not see?!

Go watch a girls/ladies game locally... you'll change your view.

In fact go watch Ipswich!! Our best player is black.

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:23 - Jul 29 with 1548 viewsZXBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:22 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Do you really not see?!

How do you know its not an issue?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:33 - Jul 29 with 1533 viewsBarcaBlue

Do you really not see?!

You've completely missed the point. It's an image of an all white England team that sparks the debate about whether there is a diversity problem in women's football. Just because you don't see an issue isn't a sensible reason to delete the thread.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:36 - Jul 29 with 1538 viewsclive_baker

Do you really not see?!

Even if it wasn't / isn't an issue, what makes the thread inappropriate? I dare say it isn't offending anyone, it's just a discussion ffs. Ironic isn't it that those who are often the quickest to shout 'woke' are the ones seemingly upset at a p1ssing innocent thread on a forum. What's the world coming to.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:38 - Jul 29 with 1524 viewsMookamoo

Do you really not see?!

Of course its an issue. Seek out the interviews that Aluko, Asante and Yankey has done on the subject. Try to shout less and listen more.
Login to get fewer ads

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:43 - Jul 29 with 1517 viewsVegtablue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:17 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Not silly at all, those making something out of nothing are the silly ones.

THe team is white, the team is excellent, just enjoy it!

Rather than trying to make a story where there isn't one.

It isn't totally silly let's be reasonable.

We shouldn't let it derail our enjoyment one iota and players must be selected for their talent and contributions to the team, obviously!

Yet somewhere behind the scenes it should be examined if growing the game is desirable. Conclusions reached may be financial, time-lag, coincidence or a combination of factors, but it is a slow mind that doesn't pose these questions if growing the game is seen as an objective.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:43 - Jul 29 with 1517 viewsWallingford_Boy

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:23 - Jul 29 by ZXBlue

How do you know its not an issue?

I give up!

RIP Sir Bobby

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:48 - Jul 29 with 1500 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 11:43 - Jul 29 by Wallingford_Boy

I give up!

People usually do when they've lost the plot.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 12:20 - Jul 29 with 1429 viewsRyorry

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 10:33 - Jul 29 by HighgateBlue

We're used to seeing large numbers of people of colour in men's teams now, and thankfully the large majority of fans welcome that diversity.

Partly as a result, it is striking when we see a team that is all white. To modern English eyes it does look like something from a different era. It is important that we notice these things and important that policy makers try to understand whether there are any structural issues at play that need to be improved either by evolution or revolution.

However, if there is going to be serious analysis of what is going on, it is worth considering the facts. I may be wrong in terms of how some of these women identify, in which case my bad, but it seems to me that there are 3 out of the 23 woman squad who might reasonably considered not to fall within the "White" demographic category that is typically used on an official basis. (also, numerous newspapers are reporting that 3 out of 23 are black, so this seems to be correct).

I appreciate we're talking England rather than the UK, but the gov.uk website says that 87% of people are white. This squad appears to have 86.95% of white players.

Yes, the 11 on the pitch that have been picked have at times been white. That is clearly because the coach considers them to be the best 11 available for winning a particular game. When looked at like that, the poster to whom you have replied does have a point. The "current crop" is the 23, and the 11 women selected are deemed to be the best of those 23 available.

The squad is ethnically representative of the country. It is more white than men's squads, yes, and that is a subject that is worthy of consideration. But if one is to assert (particularly in the same breath as calling others antiquated) that the problem is that some ethnic groups are getting different opportunities, one does need to start from a factual position, and that factual position appears to be that the squad is not unreasonably representative of the country.

It would certainly be a real shame for all sorts of reasons to see two entirely white teams line up in the final, and I do hope that's not the case.

In diversity terms, it is also worth celebrating the massive boost that these Euros has given to gender equality in sport in this country, and indeed much greater representation of diversity of sexuality in football which one would hope might positively influence the men's game, or at least the attitudes of some fans who are involved in it.

Re your final para, I'll just add what Ian Wright said from the commentary box after the fantastic win by the team against Sweden -

"All this is for nothing if there is no legacy. Only 60% of girls are given the opportunity to play football at school. This *must* change to make it 100%".

I've no idea which schools don't offer it or why (money? teacher interest/lack of time? a class/gender bias thing? (ie outlooks stuck in the past?)) - but I'd have thought diversity has to be expanded to ensure all 6-16 yr old girls get the basic chance to play in a location they're at more days of the year than not, if we want to get the most inclusive, representative team that we can from the UK population.

So well said Wrighty 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 12:39 - Jul 29 with 1390 viewstimothyeo

Saw this raised before, but I'm not sure where the problem actually is.

I note Swedens national team was 100% white, whilst Nigeria's was 100% black.

I note that the England women's team has had a number of black players represent them, none moreso than Alex Scott who's highly respected as a pundit now too.

The england youth teams have a fairly decent diversity too, so I don't see an argument they're not getting opportunities.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:15 - Jul 29 with 1321 viewsBigCommon

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:14 - Jul 29 by jeera

"that the best of the current crop available".

You're coming at this from completely the wrong angle.

The question is why some people had the opportunity to reach a place of being the best crop available over others.

This attitude is seriously a few decades old and if it was still applied to the men's game or other sports/roles in life it would suggest some extremely unsavoury connotations.

No mate, I'm not coming at this from any angle at all..
It's you that's coming from it at an " angle"..
And because my observation doesn't tie in to your way of thinking. You are now trying to suggest "some extremely unsavoury connotations". Which simply don't exist..

Incidentally. I haven't seen a list of names , of any female footballers. Either white or non white. That people think, should clearly be in the squad, ahead of any of the current squad members, based on ability...
Which non white, players do you think should be in the squad? And whom should they replace, based on ability? Out of interest? Genuine question..
I'd wager each individual player in that squad, could tell you a personal story of sacrifice and hard work, to get themselves where they are. To suggest they are there, only, due to some kind of "White privilege" , isn't really fare on them. And is a snide way of taking the gloss off the squads performances.. Which in itself, might suggests some extremely unsavoury connotations, perhaps?
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:41 - Jul 29 with 1312 viewsBogblue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 12:39 - Jul 29 by timothyeo

I note that the England women's team has had a number of black players represent them, none moreso than Alex Scott who's highly respected as a pundit now too.

The england youth teams have a fairly decent diversity too, so I don't see an argument they're not getting opportunities.

Germany's was all-white too, particularly noticable when they were playing against the diverse French team
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:51 - Jul 29 with 1301 viewslowhouseblue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

The women's team that have played this tournament aren'tt predominantly white. They are white, 100%.

Certainly questions should be asked.

Now get back to the Daily Mail comments section where you can happily debate wokism with your mates.

i agree questions should be asked. the england squad has also been more mixed in the past. the current squad includes players who are now overseas which is one aspect of the divergence. it would equally be good to understand why the french team has a disproportionate number of bame players relative to population demographics. asking the question doesn't mean the answer is racism.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 10:05]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:55 - Jul 29 with 1284 viewsgtsb1966

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 12:39 - Jul 29 by timothyeo

Spot on. People looking for something that just isn't there. This is when twtd is at its worst.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 17:02 - Jul 29 with 1244 viewsSamWhiteUK

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 08:38 - Jul 29 by Sharkey

The same issue is talked about quite a bit in the Swedish press. In Sweden, girls’/women’s football tends to be played by middle-class girls in the villages and leafy suburbs, ... where there are more pitches and fewer other entertainments. The women from the ‘grittier’ parts of the cities tend to gravitate towards basketball.

They say that to the Chinese we all look alike. When it comes to women’s football in Sweden, I can easily see that. I offended a friend who showed me a photo of his daughter’s team when I asked how he can tell which one is his daughter!

TBH I'm not surprised you offended your friend
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 18:58 - Jul 29 with 1190 viewsgtsb1966

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 05:53 - Jul 29 by BarcaBlue

It's disingenuous to dismiss it as a coincidence. There are likely to be a number of reasons why the England team is all white and I doubt coincidence is one of them.

Agender is a whole different debate.

Stop talking bollox and looking for something that isn't there. Your post is ridiculous.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 19:24 - Jul 29 with 1165 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 18:58 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

Stop talking bollox and looking for something that isn't there. Your post is ridiculous.

Several people on this thread have suggested reasons why young black girls might be disadvantaged when trying to take up football and they all sound reasonable to me. You can keep your head in the sand and believe everything is hunkydory if you like.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 19:41 - Jul 29 with 1153 viewsTractorWood

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 06:43 - Jul 29 by ibbleobble

Are you implying there’s institutional racism in the women’s game and that white women are afforded more opportunity than other ethnicities? England is 86% white so it’s no surprise that a team is predominantly white.

Wokism on steroids if there’s serious scrutiny around the demographic of an all white team in a country where the vast majority of people are white.

You can be use statistics to me prove anything. 67% of all people know that.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:02 - Jul 29 with 1120 viewsibbleobble

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 16:55 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

Spot on. People looking for something that just isn't there. This is when twtd is at its worst.

Completely agree. It’s sad that there’s such a big group who jump on a race bandwagon at the behest of sensationalised sound bites and then polarise every conversation as racist or non-racist. The more the question of colour is discussed the more it perpetuates and the more we debate skin tone rather than treat people as equals.
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:11 - Jul 29 with 1106 viewsCornishMariner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-62346385

This is a nuanced article, that mentions what the current team themselves are saying, alongside the many things that are being done to make the game more inclusive generally.
Hopefully it will not cause anyone to spontaneously explode with rage.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:25 - Jul 29 with 1061 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Imagine being bothered by women trying to play football lol
All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:31 - Jul 29 with 979 viewsBarcaBlue

All-white Women Euro 2022 team on 20:11 - Jul 29 by CornishMariner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-62346385

This is a nuanced article, that mentions what the current team themselves are saying, alongside the many things that are being done to make the game more inclusive generally.
Hopefully it will not cause anyone to spontaneously explode with rage.

According to some we shouldn't even be debating it on here so what's the BBC doing putting out these videos? It's not an issue, it's pathetic, it' bollox apparently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024