Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Self-inflicted joylessness... 11:41 - Sep 9 with 4291 viewsportmanking

Where else in the world would this happen?

I'll go and draw my curtains and sit in a darkened room for the weekend instead then... that's what they want, right?
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:42 - Sep 9 with 2894 viewsZx1988

It's all getting a bit much for my liking.

"You must treat this as if it were the death of a close family member, but you must also go to work."

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:43 - Sep 9 with 2869 viewsSweetman

Russian and Ukrainian teams are playing through a literal war!
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:44 - Sep 9 with 2852 viewshomer_123

Have I missed that it's a lockdown this weekend then? Can we not go and do something else instead?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:44 - Sep 9 with 2840 viewsBloots

,,,,still leave your house.

And you can definitely open the curtains, if you don't want to then you can just put the light on so that it's not dark.

You could go out for a nice walk, or go down the pub, maybe go for a nice meal with your family.

In fact you can do pretty much anything other than go to the football and watch sport.

It's one game, it's not the end of the world.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:46 - Sep 9 with 2792 viewsbilllm

Time the establishment arrived in 2022 or was abolished, massive over reaction,
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:48 - Sep 9 with 2746 viewsKropotkin123

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:44 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Have I missed that it's a lockdown this weekend then? Can we not go and do something else instead?

You've missed that it is completely fine for these other activities to be open, but not football. Going to football is not mourning enough, but going to the park, shopping, cinema, etc is evidently an appropriate level of mourning.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:49 - Sep 9 with 2740 viewsHighgateBlue

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:42 - Sep 9 by Zx1988

It's all getting a bit much for my liking.

"You must treat this as if it were the death of a close family member, but you must also go to work."

It's possibly even worse than that - I think most of us would go to the footy two days after the death of a family member, if we had a ticket, and if it didn't clash with arrangements or family coming over from elsewhere.
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:49 - Sep 9 with 2725 viewsVaughan8

If there is no football I can't do anything sorry.... haha

I know some people are making out like its a lockdown!
Login to get fewer ads

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:51 - Sep 9 with 2690 viewsportmanking

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:48 - Sep 9 by Kropotkin123

You've missed that it is completely fine for these other activities to be open, but not football. Going to football is not mourning enough, but going to the park, shopping, cinema, etc is evidently an appropriate level of mourning.

This.

This is exactly the point. Why punish football fans? Local hospitality businesses? Cambridge game will no doubt be played in a midweek now which is a missed Saturday for pubs and restaurants in Ipswich that are no doubt struggling.

The whole thing's just tone deaf and doesn't align with public mood.
I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:51 - Sep 9 with 2667 viewsmonytowbray

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:44 - Sep 9 by Bloots

And you can definitely open the curtains, if you don't want to then you can just put the light on so that it's not dark.

You could go out for a nice walk, or go down the pub, maybe go for a nice meal with your family.

In fact you can do pretty much anything other than go to the football and watch sport.

Tell that to people who have travelled from overseas for games. The Norway SC is over for this weekend. It's then also money and plans ruined. Easy to sit a short journey from your local stadium and say "Yeah no biggie".

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:52 - Sep 9 with 2681 viewsKropotkin123

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:44 - Sep 9 by Bloots

So pubs are appropriate but football isn't, haha. You're just demonstrating how stupid the decision is.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:52 - Sep 9 with 2656 viewsportmanking

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:49 - Sep 9 by Vaughan8

If there is no football I can't do anything sorry.... haha

I know some people are making out like its a lockdown!

I make no apology for the fact that football and going to football is a big passion of mine and a part of my social diary. Why should I not be angry about that option being unnecessarily taken out of my hands?
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:54 - Sep 9 with 2598 viewsHighgateBlue

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:46 - Sep 9 by billlm

Time the establishment arrived in 2022 or was abolished, massive over reaction,

I agree that this was not the right call, but it was the EFL's decision. The government's guidance leaves it totally in their hands, and you can be sure that the Royal Household was at the very least consulted on the guidance.

The government and the political establishment could not do any more. They could not possibly have legislated to compel football's governing bodies to hold games.

Horse racing is far more "establishment" and as I've said elsewhere, they've just rolled up Friday and Saturday's Leger meeting card and are holding it on Sunday. Football can't blame the establishment for voluntarily binning games and continuing the enforced mourning for a day longer than racing.
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:55 - Sep 9 with 2557 viewsFrimleyBlue

Now they're scaling back broadcasting of the f1 grand prix this weekend.

Wtf. Let people decide if they want to mourn. Don't force the issue. Fken ell

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:55 - Sep 9 with 2563 viewshomer_123

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:52 - Sep 9 by portmanking

I make no apology for the fact that football and going to football is a big passion of mine and a part of my social diary. Why should I not be angry about that option being unnecessarily taken out of my hands?

Cause it's about the sport and not you?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:58 - Sep 9 with 2496 viewsKievthegreat

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:55 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Cause it's about the sport and not you?

And the sport's decision is an overreaction in mine and seemingly plenty of other peoples opinion. People are allowed to feel aggrieved at things they don't agree with, especially if it directly impacts their plans.
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:59 - Sep 9 with 2469 viewsbaxterbasics

It's just one weekend folks, for a once-in-70 years event. We will cope.

(Appreciate it does suck if you've got your ticket, made your travel plans and was looking forward to it).

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:09 - Sep 9 with 2325 viewsphillymark

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:59 - Sep 9 by baxterbasics

It's just one weekend folks, for a once-in-70 years event. We will cope.

(Appreciate it does suck if you've got your ticket, made your travel plans and was looking forward to it).

No one here is saying they won't "cope". But there will be some people who can't pay this months rent or car payment because of loss of income. And it's unnecessary. We aren't in Victorian times - 2022 culture has moved from morbid mourning of a death to celebrating a life, and we are better for it. A shame that the establishment hasn't worked that out yet.
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:11 - Sep 9 with 2288 viewspeterleeblue

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:51 - Sep 9 by portmanking

This.

This is exactly the point. Why punish football fans? Local hospitality businesses? Cambridge game will no doubt be played in a midweek now which is a missed Saturday for pubs and restaurants in Ipswich that are no doubt struggling.

The whole thing's just tone deaf and doesn't align with public mood.

This again.

This is not the time to be throwing good money down the drain.

I have pubs that are on the Great North Run route desperate for any commercial break they can get right now just to help with cash reserves for the coming months.
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:12 - Sep 9 with 2264 viewsSwansea_Blue

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:09 - Sep 9 by phillymark

No one here is saying they won't "cope". But there will be some people who can't pay this months rent or car payment because of loss of income. And it's unnecessary. We aren't in Victorian times - 2022 culture has moved from morbid mourning of a death to celebrating a life, and we are better for it. A shame that the establishment hasn't worked that out yet.

"the establishment" in this case is the PL and EFL. In fairness to the monarchy and govt, they had worked it out and were happy to let things carry on.

Maybe the decision should go to VAR!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:13 - Sep 9 with 2250 viewsVaughan8

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:12 - Sep 9 by Swansea_Blue

"the establishment" in this case is the PL and EFL. In fairness to the monarchy and govt, they had worked it out and were happy to let things carry on.

Maybe the decision should go to VAR!

I think we need a break from VAR for one weekend haha
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:16 - Sep 9 with 2221 viewstownblue

I might watch the cricket
Self-inflicted joylessness... on 12:19 - Sep 9 with 2166 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Self-inflicted joylessness... on 11:48 - Sep 9 by Kropotkin123

Yes, definitely do shopping.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Perhaps they can take the opportunity.... on 12:23 - Sep 9 with 2104 viewsBloots

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:51 - Sep 9 by monytowbray

Tell that to people who have travelled from overseas for games. The Norway SC is over for this weekend. It's then also money and plans ruined. Easy to sit a short journey from your local stadium and say "Yeah no biggie".

....to travel to London or Windsor to pay their respects instead?

#RIP

My response was to the OP.... on 12:24 - Sep 9 with 2084 viewsBloots

I'm pretty sure that you can... on 11:52 - Sep 9 by Kropotkin123

So pubs are appropriate but football isn't, haha. You're just demonstrating how stupid the decision is.

....who said he was going to sit in his front room, in darkness, with the curtains closed.

Just trying to give him some alternative options.

#RIP

#GSTK

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024