Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright 13:28 - Oct 10 with 3971 viewsStuartSlater

any other takers for this title mick stockwell perhaps - mark venus

Poll: Craig Bellamy - Bell end or Misunderstood

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:09 - Oct 10 with 909 viewsScuzzer

I'll raise you a Steve McCall

Established 1968

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:20 - Oct 10 with 887 viewsblueislander

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 15:22 - Oct 10 by hoppy

I'll also make mention of a couple of guys that just pretty quietly got on with their job - sometimes accused of 'going missing', altho in both cases, you really did notice when they were missing more than you did when they were there sometimes, but Cole Skuse and Tommy Miller.

Cole Skuse compared to Tommy Miller? You must be joking .
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:24 - Oct 10 with 884 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 14:47 - Oct 10 by MattinLondon

David Wright. Could play on the left or right, unspectacular yet solid with a good cross on him. Hero not really applicable but very underrated.

Always felt so bad for David Wright, good player who was turfed out for Darren O'Dea on loan who was awful

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:41 - Oct 10 with 851 viewsDJR

Paul Cooper, the only member of the great Robson team not to be an international.
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:45 - Oct 10 with 842 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Naylor, as mentioned, was a good shout.

I would add Stephen Hunt. Murphy and McGoldrick got all of the songs, but Hunt was absolutely key to the best football of the McCarthy era- he never gave defenders a seconds rest. I loved watching him play.

Greg Leigh is the closest in the current squad. I just love his enthusiasm, ability to win headers against taller opponents, and the way that he can come on 60 minutes into a game and get up to speed immediately. He seems to never give the ball away. Quality, strength and energy!
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:51 - Oct 10 with 825 viewsmonkeymagic

Paul Mason, astonishing strike rate for a midfielder and could always be relied upon for at least a 6/10 performance. Really can’t remember him ever having a mare.
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:01 - Oct 10 with 814 viewsclive_baker

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:51 - Oct 10 by monkeymagic

Paul Mason, astonishing strike rate for a midfielder and could always be relied upon for at least a 6/10 performance. Really can’t remember him ever having a mare.

Growing up when Mason was playing for us I swear he used to score every week. Looking at his stats I can see that's a massive exaggeration, but I've got a lot of memories of watching and listening to him score goals from midfield for us.

Also I was today years old that I learnt he started at Gronigen in the Netherlands. Knew we signed him from Aberdeen but didn't know he was in Holland first.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:11 - Oct 10 with 797 viewsmonkeymagic

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:01 - Oct 10 by clive_baker

Growing up when Mason was playing for us I swear he used to score every week. Looking at his stats I can see that's a massive exaggeration, but I've got a lot of memories of watching and listening to him score goals from midfield for us.

Also I was today years old that I learnt he started at Gronigen in the Netherlands. Knew we signed him from Aberdeen but didn't know he was in Holland first.

He has quite an interesting back story, having drifted out of the game to go labouring in The Netherlands, he was then discovered in a non league Dutch team and was then given a pro contract and developed there before coming back to the UK and flourishing. There’s a nice anecdote about him turning down the chance to play for Scotland as he thought his own Scottishness was too tenuous: not many players take such a principled approach.
Login to get fewer ads

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:17 - Oct 10 with 787 viewshoppy

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 16:20 - Oct 10 by blueislander

Cole Skuse compared to Tommy Miller? You must be joking .

Where did I compare them, apart from mentioning them both in the same post? I wasn’t making similarities about the way they played, as obviously they were very different, just how they both fitted the remit of the OP.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:23 - Oct 10 with 761 viewshomer_123

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:11 - Oct 10 by monkeymagic

He has quite an interesting back story, having drifted out of the game to go labouring in The Netherlands, he was then discovered in a non league Dutch team and was then given a pro contract and developed there before coming back to the UK and flourishing. There’s a nice anecdote about him turning down the chance to play for Scotland as he thought his own Scottishness was too tenuous: not many players take such a principled approach.

Quick trip to Wikipedia?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:27 - Oct 10 with 751 viewsmonty_radio

Simon Milton

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:29 - Oct 10 with 745 viewschicoazul

John Cobbold.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:32 - Oct 10 with 747 viewsStokieBlue

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 14:00 - Oct 10 by Illinoisblue

Oh boy, just found his Twitter. The state of it. Yeah. Just gonna focus on his goal at Rotherham.

FFS.

Just foolishly had a look at this, what an absolute cockwomble.

Such a shame, quality player.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:44 - Oct 10 with 727 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Trevor Whymark

Poll: would you rather

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:47 - Oct 10 with 718 viewsChurchman

My immediate thought was Micky Stockwell. He was brilliant for our club and a model professional.

But seeing the posts on Dale Roberts I’ll say Micky as a player, Dale as a coach and one other: Chairman John Cobbold. He gave the club a unique identity and boy, what a judge of character. What fun he must have been too, providing you liked a drink and had a sense of humour.
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:51 - Oct 10 with 716 viewsRyorry

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 15:22 - Oct 10 by hoppy

I'll also make mention of a couple of guys that just pretty quietly got on with their job - sometimes accused of 'going missing', altho in both cases, you really did notice when they were missing more than you did when they were there sometimes, but Cole Skuse and Tommy Miller.

Tommy Miller yes, but like Whymark who's just been suggested also, I don't think he was undersung was he? I remember him as regularly being greatly appreciated on here when he was playing, & being much missed after he'd gone.

They're both deserving of an uppie tho!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 18:08 - Oct 10 with 702 viewsFifeITFC

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 14:37 - Oct 10 by SamWhiteUK

What an absolute cess pit that was. Won't be going back there in a hurry.

What are we talking here, Rotherham or Jamma's Twitter?

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 18:24 - Oct 10 with 683 viewsmonkeymagic

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:23 - Oct 10 by homer_123

Quick trip to Wikipedia?

It’s a fair cop!
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 18:25 - Oct 10 with 682 viewsTrequartista

Megaphone man.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 19:58 - Oct 10 with 624 viewsDJR

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:29 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

John Cobbold.

That's a very smart choice.
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 20:33 - Oct 10 with 605 viewsMattinLondon

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 18:25 - Oct 10 by Trequartista

Megaphone man.

Is he still there?
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 20:41 - Oct 10 with 588 viewsreusersfreekicks

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 15:18 - Oct 10 by clive_baker

Classic Frimmers this, you love a contrarian pick. Of all of the unsung heroes you could've come up with, you bring David Norris to the conversation? What I would say about Norris is it wasn't his fault that we spent so long chasing him and had to part with so much cash to buy him. I felt like some fans held that against him unfairly, but as a player he was tidy enough in a pretty average Town side for a few years. Embarrassed us to the nation with THAT goal celebration though. What was heroic about him?

My pick would be Naylor. Don't think he ever got the credit he deserved as a player, often on the bench but never stopped giving his all, hard as nails too. HUGE contribution in the playoff final with a goal, an assist, and that lovely touch for Stewarts' goal. Made for a decent centre back too.

Yep Naylor my choice too
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 20:54 - Oct 10 with 573 viewschicoazul

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 19:58 - Oct 10 by DJR

That's a very smart choice.

The most important man in Ipswich history.
My second choice is another John. John Lyall.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 21:15 - Oct 10 with 551 viewsChurchman

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 20:54 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

The most important man in Ipswich history.
My second choice is another John. John Lyall.

What about Adam Scott Mathieson Duncan? Now there’s a name! Scott Duncan served the club for 18 years, the last three as Club Secretary. He was an important well known figure who helped get Ipswich elected to the Football League before the war. It could be argued that without him, we might not have got into the League until after the war and who knows what our history would have been?

And yes, John Lyall is a good shout.
Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 21:31 - Oct 10 with 536 viewsVic

Who would you say is the ultimate unsung Ipswich Hero - my vote Jermaine Wright on 17:44 - Oct 10 by LegendofthePhoenix

Trevor Whymark

Absolutely this. Whymark was a wonderful foil to David Johnson (mk1) and Paul Mariner; very, very much overlooked next to them, though he did get an England cap (v Luxembourg IIRC)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024