Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has/does TWTD make 09:51 - Oct 23 with 17912 viewschicoazul

…of Morsy not wearing the rainbow armband on Friday?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What has/does TWTD make on 09:56 - Oct 23 with 7104 viewsDubtractor

Honestly, I'm not sure I care. If he'd actively spoken against it then that would be one thing, but just quietly going about his business, I assume because of his religious beliefs, doesn't really warrant too much drama.

I'd feel the same if someone chose not to wear a poppy, or chose not to take the knee, so I'm consistent here!

Edit: Just for clarity, I fully support the rainbow laces thing, and movements to make the LGBTQ community feel included are welcome and needed.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 10:01]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What has/does TWTD make on 09:57 - Oct 23 with 7083 viewsDanTheMan

Disappointing but not surprising.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What has/does TWTD make on 10:01 - Oct 23 with 7045 viewsKeno

"meh'

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What has/does TWTD make on 10:04 - Oct 23 with 7033 viewsJ2BLUE

What has/does TWTD make on 09:56 - Oct 23 by Dubtractor

Honestly, I'm not sure I care. If he'd actively spoken against it then that would be one thing, but just quietly going about his business, I assume because of his religious beliefs, doesn't really warrant too much drama.

I'd feel the same if someone chose not to wear a poppy, or chose not to take the knee, so I'm consistent here!

Edit: Just for clarity, I fully support the rainbow laces thing, and movements to make the LGBTQ community feel included are welcome and needed.

This. I wouldn't have noticed if other people weren't mentioning it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What has/does TWTD make on 10:10 - Oct 23 with 7023 viewsfranz_tyson

I think nothing about him not wearing it.

I think more about the people trying to make a big thing about it. Who do these people think they are trying to impose everything on everybody?

If you want to wear an armband or a brooch or a ribbon or a bracelet of whatever colour in your workplace - then do so, but please don't expect everyone else to follow suit. And don't jump to conclusions about people who don't dress the same to your tastes. People screaming for tolerance can be the most intolerant, narrow-minded pricks out there.
What has/does TWTD make on 10:11 - Oct 23 with 7005 viewsDubtractor

What has/does TWTD make on 10:10 - Oct 23 by franz_tyson

I think more about the people trying to make a big thing about it. Who do these people think they are trying to impose everything on everybody?

If you want to wear an armband or a brooch or a ribbon or a bracelet of whatever colour in your workplace - then do so, but please don't expect everyone else to follow suit. And don't jump to conclusions about people who don't dress the same to your tastes. People screaming for tolerance can be the most intolerant, narrow-minded pricks out there.

Yeah, but none of that has happened here has it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What has/does TWTD make on 10:14 - Oct 23 with 7003 viewsitfcjoe

If it is because of religious beliefs then I’m dead against it, as gives someone a free pass to allow a section of society to be discriminated against

I’d hope it’s just an oversight, if any more than that then it reflects badly on him and the club. When someone like Idrissa Gueye refused to wear a rainbow number on his shirt, anyone who supported him was dragged across the coals for it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What has/does TWTD make on 10:33 - Oct 23 with 6853 viewsJeanManuelThetis

What has/does TWTD make on 10:14 - Oct 23 by itfcjoe

If it is because of religious beliefs then I’m dead against it, as gives someone a free pass to allow a section of society to be discriminated against

I’d hope it’s just an oversight, if any more than that then it reflects badly on him and the club. When someone like Idrissa Gueye refused to wear a rainbow number on his shirt, anyone who supported him was dragged across the coals for it

Spot on. Hopefully just an oversight. I did notice it straight away as someone watching it from far away on Sky.
Login to get fewer ads

What has/does TWTD make on 10:42 - Oct 23 with 6781 viewsRobTheMonk

His decision if he wants to or not. Same with taking the knee or wearing the poppy.

So many people looking for excuses to be offended. Forcing people to follow an agenda, movement, raising awareness etc has become way to prevalent in society. What happened to having a choice?

For the record, I think the rainbow band, laces is a good idea. But if someone doesn't want to wear one? Meh, their choice.
What has/does TWTD make on 10:43 - Oct 23 with 6746 viewsFrimleyBlue

His choice so respect it?

Difficult one, I feel as a club captain he should be representing the club, on the other we have to respect his personal decision don't we?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What has/does TWTD make on 10:48 - Oct 23 with 6733 viewsfabian_illness

Would have clashed awfully with the black kit.
What has/does TWTD make on 10:58 - Oct 23 with 6693 viewsSitfcB

Don’t care one jot. A nothing issue.

Didn’t even come to mind until mentioned on a thread last night.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

What has/does TWTD make on 11:00 - Oct 23 with 6675 viewsbraveblue

Nothing. Virtue signalling.
What has/does TWTD make on 11:10 - Oct 23 with 6581 viewsitfcjoe

What has/does TWTD make on 09:57 - Oct 23 by DanTheMan

Disappointing but not surprising.

As this thread will be

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What has/does TWTD make on 11:48 - Oct 23 with 6427 viewssotd78

Consider he has to play in his own country possibly for his national team. Not all the world is tolerant, educated, and as free as we are.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

What has/does TWTD make on 12:04 - Oct 23 with 6362 viewswaveneyblue

What has/does TWTD make on 10:10 - Oct 23 by franz_tyson

This is spot on.

And couldn't agree more that the ones who play the tolerance card the most, are usually the worst.

There are many examples of this on here.
Probably a lot less than.... on 12:08 - Oct 23 with 6366 viewsBloots

....if it was someone else.

Personally I think that any sort of "statement of support" political, sexual or religious should be an individual's choice and as long as that individual is not derogatory in any way towards others then I don't see an issue.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

What has/does TWTD make on 12:25 - Oct 23 with 6275 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 09:56 - Oct 23 by Dubtractor

So if they are indeed welcomed and needed, how do you feel about Morsy not wearing an armband on a weekend when captains across Europe are wearing one? Not trying to gotacha you by the way.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

What has/does TWTD make on 12:31 - Oct 23 with 6232 viewsblustutu

What has/does TWTD make on 12:25 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

So if they are indeed welcomed and needed, how do you feel about Morsy not wearing an armband on a weekend when captains across Europe are wearing one? Not trying to gotacha you by the way.

Personally I feel if he didn’t want to wear it someone else should have been captain for the game, he’s entitled to his opinion but it reflects on us as a club.
What has/does TWTD make on 12:36 - Oct 23 with 6199 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What has/does TWTD make on 12:25 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

I said this on the other thread, but...

I don't think we often appreciate the pressure people face from their family and culture to follow norms and values. Morsy abstaining from wearing an armband doesn't make him a homophobe, he is just being faithful to his religion. He may not have any strong beliefs on the matter, and as long as he isn't persecuting someone, I don't care what his beliefs are.

We don't know what he actually believes, and he's not abusing anybody for their sexuality. He's just abstaining from a public gesture. Many young Muslims have progressive views on sexuality, even if they wouldn't share that with their family.

Not worth reading more into it than that in my opinion.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

What has/does TWTD make on 12:38 - Oct 23 with 6188 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 10:42 - Oct 23 by RobTheMonk

His decision if he wants to or not. Same with taking the knee or wearing the poppy.

So many people looking for excuses to be offended. Forcing people to follow an agenda, movement, raising awareness etc has become way to prevalent in society. What happened to having a choice?

For the record, I think the rainbow band, laces is a good idea. But if someone doesn't want to wear one? Meh, their choice.

Ok, but what instincts or religious beliefs or dare I say prejudices is the choice not to wear one based upon? That’s the important thing for me. Not the what, the why.

What has/does TWTD make on 12:39 - Oct 23 with 6177 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 12:36 - Oct 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I said this on the other thread, but...

I don't think we often appreciate the pressure people face from their family and culture to follow norms and values. Morsy abstaining from wearing an armband doesn't make him a homophobe, he is just being faithful to his religion. He may not have any strong beliefs on the matter, and as long as he isn't persecuting someone, I don't care what his beliefs are.

We don't know what he actually believes, and he's not abusing anybody for their sexuality. He's just abstaining from a public gesture. Many young Muslims have progressive views on sexuality, even if they wouldn't share that with their family.

Not worth reading more into it than that in my opinion.

If we don’t know what he believes as you say then it follows we cannot definitively say he’s not abusing anyone for their sexuality can we. We can only take it on good faith.

What has/does TWTD make on 12:43 - Oct 23 with 6155 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What has/does TWTD make on 12:39 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

If we don’t know what he believes as you say then it follows we cannot definitively say he’s not abusing anyone for their sexuality can we. We can only take it on good faith.

Well given a lack of evidence, I'm inclined not to denigrate a man as a homophobe because he conscientiously objects to a public gesture. Should we assume that all Ukranian pacifists want Russia to wipe Ukraine off the map because they refuse to fight?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 12:43]

What has/does TWTD make on 12:47 - Oct 23 with 6131 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 12:43 - Oct 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Well given a lack of evidence, I'm inclined not to denigrate a man as a homophobe because he conscientiously objects to a public gesture. Should we assume that all Ukranian pacifists want Russia to wipe Ukraine off the map because they refuse to fight?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 12:43]

None of what you say in your first sentence is fact though. We don’t *know* why he didn’t wear one. As Joe says it may just be an oversight. I would like to hear from the club and preferably the player himself.

What has/does TWTD make on 12:50 - Oct 23 with 6112 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What has/does TWTD make on 12:47 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

None of what you say in your first sentence is fact though. We don’t *know* why he didn’t wear one. As Joe says it may just be an oversight. I would like to hear from the club and preferably the player himself.

So then I have to question, why did you make the post? You invited speculation about a topic, before implying that someone is a homophobe, and then finally shifting the goalpost to say that we don't in fact know. You talked about good faith in your last reply, this seems a lot like bad faith to me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024