Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football's ball in play problem. 00:09 - Nov 13 with 2903 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Athletic recently done a good article about this and how it's getting worse. No where is it more apparent that the lower leagues and perhaps PR! These officials need to man up and start adding on 12-14 minutes or whatever is needed. I had higher hopes today when the keeper was booked first half but nope. KM said the 4th official was only going to add 6 minutes on if it wasn't for our late sub. What a joke.

A few American mates always mention how they don't understand how football is completely inaccurately timed, I'm starting to think they might have a point after watching some of the crap teams do at Ipswich.
Football's ball in play problem. on 00:12 - Nov 13 with 2862 viewsSwansea_Blue

The bizarre thing is that it happened in all leagues. In the PL you can have several officials calculating from VAR whether someone is 5mm offside, but time remains a lottery.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Football's ball in play problem. on 00:15 - Nov 13 with 2854 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Football's ball in play problem. on 00:12 - Nov 13 by Swansea_Blue

The bizarre thing is that it happened in all leagues. In the PL you can have several officials calculating from VAR whether someone is 5mm offside, but time remains a lottery.

Time wasting is nothing new but it needs to be addressed more than ever now. For some reason I can't find the article but it was quite eye opening statistically and VAR would also be a reason at the higher levels. TV won't like it but if the game is changing, this needs to be looked at.
Football's ball in play problem. on 00:31 - Nov 13 with 2816 viewsAlanG296

Town contribute to the time wasting by giving away so many goal kicks with their abysmal shooting.
Football's ball in play problem. on 02:20 - Nov 13 with 2766 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Football's ball in play problem. on 00:31 - Nov 13 by AlanG296

Town contribute to the time wasting by giving away so many goal kicks with their abysmal shooting.

This game was beyond infuriating. Sometimes I don't think it will happen for us but I was convinced we would score, even going into injury time. Not winning that game was literally hard to achieve.
Football's ball in play problem. on 07:01 - Nov 13 with 2643 viewsPioneerBlue

I have summarised several of these points before, not statistically but things the officials probably have the powers already to solve but don’t. There are a couple here that require rule changes.

Clear and obvious slow play by any players (unsporting behaviour)
Throw ins taken no where near their original positions (unsporting behaviour)

Free kicks that take minutes to set up when you only intend to pass the ball a few feet, invisible time added (unsporting behaviour)

Players standing over every free kick, give them a yellow if they actually touch the ball when it is played (unsporting behaviour)

Players leaving the pitch the longest possible route from the technical area (unsporting behaviour)

Lack of advantage played and called back at all times, rare is it seen for the bookings to be given next time ball is out or original foul brought back to earlier position

Subs cottage industry and slow walk offs, simply move to rolling subs like hockey, why have we allowed this process to enter the game where subs take minutes from prep for holding up boards that go wrong, slow walk off and slow walk on - all the mucking about for this is unnecessary and dull

Drinks breaks and technical breaks - wtf when was this a thing unless preagreed due to heat?

Take the game timing away from the ref or simply stop start when ball is actually in play and moving - I understand people have said the game will never end but this needs looking at closely

So called injuries, treat and play around them or get them off and treat off field unless they need a leg brace! or use minimum time off field for any injuries to encourage player to get off and go with the rolling sub to fill the space while they are treated

Football is unviewable at times, mainly when the game is going against! but the authorities want to mess around with ridiculous tv in stand scrutiny when when many answers exist for dealing with football issues - it’s often poor inconsistent refereeing.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Football's ball in play problem. on 19:15 - Nov 13 with 2342 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I think the clock should be stopped as soon as the ball is out of play or the whistle gets blown, maybe not for throw ins. Simple and easy to Impliment but we can't get VAR right so God knows what might happen

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Football's ball in play problem. on 20:12 - Nov 13 with 2296 viewsRadlett_blue

While I often deride American sports, the authorities do generally take action & change the rules in an attempt to make the game more interesting, notably basketball. Easier to do that than in a global game like football. However, I think a "ball in play" system would help, although we might have to steel ourselves for football games that take over 2 hours, rather like the NFL 3 hour games. Referees either don't have the sanctions or the willingness to deal with persistent time wasting.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Football's ball in play problem. on 21:23 - Nov 13 with 2220 viewsSharkey

Fans need to make it clearer to their own team that they don't like time-wasting.

It's quite fun to go to a game as a neutral, sit among the home fans and shout abuse at any goalkeeper who flops on the ball when there's nobody near him. The people around just look peevish, because they know you're right.
Login to get fewer ads

Football's ball in play problem. on 21:36 - Nov 13 with 2197 viewsbazza

Football's ball in play problem. on 07:01 - Nov 13 by PioneerBlue

I have summarised several of these points before, not statistically but things the officials probably have the powers already to solve but don’t. There are a couple here that require rule changes.

Free kicks that take minutes to set up when you only intend to pass the ball a few feet, invisible time added (unsporting behaviour)

Players standing over every free kick, give them a yellow if they actually touch the ball when it is played (unsporting behaviour)

Players leaving the pitch the longest possible route from the technical area (unsporting behaviour)

Lack of advantage played and called back at all times, rare is it seen for the bookings to be given next time ball is out or original foul brought back to earlier position

Subs cottage industry and slow walk offs, simply move to rolling subs like hockey, why have we allowed this process to enter the game where subs take minutes from prep for holding up boards that go wrong, slow walk off and slow walk on - all the mucking about for this is unnecessary and dull

Drinks breaks and technical breaks - wtf when was this a thing unless preagreed due to heat?

Take the game timing away from the ref or simply stop start when ball is actually in play and moving - I understand people have said the game will never end but this needs looking at closely

So called injuries, treat and play around them or get them off and treat off field unless they need a leg brace! or use minimum time off field for any injuries to encourage player to get off and go with the rolling sub to fill the space while they are treated

Football is unviewable at times, mainly when the game is going against! but the authorities want to mess around with ridiculous tv in stand scrutiny when when many answers exist for dealing with football issues - it’s often poor inconsistent refereeing.

All of which wouldn’t occur if we killed games off.. all
Done purely to break up our play, and frustrate the fans/players… and it works
Every time.
Football's ball in play problem. on 21:44 - Nov 13 with 2180 viewsTexacoCup

I've thought for a long time that using the rugby system of an external clock, with the ref indicating when to turn it on or off would work. It doesn't prolong the game and everyone knows what's happening.
My pet hate at the moment is stopping every time a player says he's 'injured'. If they don't want a trainer on, just play on with them sitting on the floor!
Football's ball in play problem. on 21:44 - Nov 13 with 2180 viewsTrequartista

I'm usually quite a traditionalist with changes to football, but I would absolutely endorse changing to a 1 hour match, the clock stopped when play stops, and the 4th (or 5th?) official in charge of time-keeping.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Football's ball in play problem. on 22:25 - Nov 13 with 2124 viewsSharkey

Football's ball in play problem. on 21:36 - Nov 13 by bazza

All of which wouldn’t occur if we killed games off.. all
Done purely to break up our play, and frustrate the fans/players… and it works
Every time.

It would still happen. It would just be Town doing it. (With the exception of Morsey, obviously.)
Football's ball in play problem. on 22:52 - Nov 13 with 2074 viewsNthsuffolkblue

In summary it is enabled by the officials even more than by the rules and both could easily be changed if those in charge wanted to.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Football's ball in play problem. on 08:49 - Nov 14 with 1933 viewsGeoffSentence

If it were down to me I would enforce one simple change.

If a player claims an injury they would have to go to the sidelines for treatment, if they can't make it to the sidelines then they could be treated on the pitch but would have to be substituted.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Football's ball in play problem. on 08:56 - Nov 14 with 1863 viewsitfcjoe

Think there needs to be external time keeping, how can the ref do that as well as his job?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Football's ball in play problem. on 12:40 - Nov 14 with 1710 viewsPilgrimblue

Excellent points

One issue I have is players feigning injury sometimes rolling around like it’s serious then jumping up as though nothing happened!! It happened on Saturday.
The ref needs to take control and book the playacting. Either that or FA introduce a mandatory 5 minute rest off the pitch every time trainer comes on and move to nearest touch line. There must be changes to allow play to continue as at present there’s too much time added on.
I’d prefer if timekeeping was taken away from refs and the clock is stopped as in rugby and then the final hooter is sounded when 90 minutes are up. That way we all know what’s going on whereas it seems that extra time is added for no good reason!
Football's ball in play problem. on 12:48 - Nov 14 with 1686 viewsVaughan8

I was never for stopping the clock but the time wasting seems to have got a lot worse recently. Some teams do it all game. I suppose its called "game management"......

Time added on never equates to the amount of time wasted. I definitely think when a player is "injured" the clock should stop.

As someone said, the premier league seems to want these minimal offisdes etc but the time is random.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 12:48]
Football's ball in play problem. on 13:11 - Nov 14 with 1609 viewsPinewoodblue

While time wasting tactics are frustrating , for fans and opposition players alike , there is only one obvious solution.

You know it is going to happen but you also know that if you get in front it will happen less. Get in front then score again.

It isn’t what the opponents do that needs to be looked at, the solution is in our manager, and players, hands.

It is equalling frustrating when we make unnecessary substitutions just to waste time. It cost us 2 pts at Charlton.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Football's ball in play problem. on 16:55 - Nov 14 with 1499 viewsIscaBlue

Football's ball in play problem. on 08:49 - Nov 14 by GeoffSentence

If it were down to me I would enforce one simple change.

If a player claims an injury they would have to go to the sidelines for treatment, if they can't make it to the sidelines then they could be treated on the pitch but would have to be substituted.

That sounds so logical that I'm trying to see the obvious flaw in the plan!
Football's ball in play problem. on 17:40 - Nov 14 with 1465 viewssotd78

When you watch other sports - like rugby or T20 cricket the authorities seem to have realised that fans want action not drinks breaks, feigned injures, slow walks off when subbed etc etc. Football is sometimes so archaic.

Put the clock in the hands of a fifth official. Overturn throw ins if anyone steals five yards or more. Enforce the rules. It'll be painful for about ten games and then everyone will get the message.

Anyone would think this was rocket science.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Football's ball in play problem. on 17:42 - Nov 14 with 1464 viewsmonty_radio

Football's ball in play problem. on 12:40 - Nov 14 by Pilgrimblue

Excellent points

One issue I have is players feigning injury sometimes rolling around like it’s serious then jumping up as though nothing happened!! It happened on Saturday.
The ref needs to take control and book the playacting. Either that or FA introduce a mandatory 5 minute rest off the pitch every time trainer comes on and move to nearest touch line. There must be changes to allow play to continue as at present there’s too much time added on.
I’d prefer if timekeeping was taken away from refs and the clock is stopped as in rugby and then the final hooter is sounded when 90 minutes are up. That way we all know what’s going on whereas it seems that extra time is added for no good reason!

Cheltenham's left back a prime case in point. He's down ... no, no, he's up. He's gone again, needs definite treatment this time. Treatment proceeds, oh so slowly as ref points theatrically to wrist - did he have a train to catch, perhaps? Obviously not - a whole 7 minutes added which flies by in six.

Meanwhile those keeping an eye on the near-dying left back note that as the play switches upfield, miracle of miracles, he sprints bravely forward without a thought for his future career.

All in a top v bottom clash multiplied over and over. It's cheating! Please stop it!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Football's ball in play problem. on 17:51 - Nov 14 with 1452 viewsDefender110

Football's ball in play problem. on 20:12 - Nov 13 by Radlett_blue

While I often deride American sports, the authorities do generally take action & change the rules in an attempt to make the game more interesting, notably basketball. Easier to do that than in a global game like football. However, I think a "ball in play" system would help, although we might have to steel ourselves for football games that take over 2 hours, rather like the NFL 3 hour games. Referees either don't have the sanctions or the willingness to deal with persistent time wasting.

It would be painfully prolong games to start with, but once it is recognised that the timewasting doesn't work, perhaps the timewasting would stop and therefore the game would return to a reasonable duration?
Football's ball in play problem. on 19:13 - Nov 14 with 1411 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Football's ball in play problem. on 17:42 - Nov 14 by monty_radio

Cheltenham's left back a prime case in point. He's down ... no, no, he's up. He's gone again, needs definite treatment this time. Treatment proceeds, oh so slowly as ref points theatrically to wrist - did he have a train to catch, perhaps? Obviously not - a whole 7 minutes added which flies by in six.

Meanwhile those keeping an eye on the near-dying left back note that as the play switches upfield, miracle of miracles, he sprints bravely forward without a thought for his future career.

All in a top v bottom clash multiplied over and over. It's cheating! Please stop it!

I initially thought the "if he needs the trainer on the pitch then an automatic substitution" was too harsh. Then I thought about it. If you are that badly injured such that you cannot hobble off the side of the pitch to get treatment, then you must need to be subbed. I would say the only exception might be where a player has been carded for the challenge, possibly.

This rule change alone would stop a major part of time wasting and breaking the game up.

Over-turning decisions or moving a free kick 10 yards up the pitch (or upgrading it to a penalty) where players are preventing them being taken or taking too long to take them all would help.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Football's ball in play problem. on 19:43 - Nov 14 with 1381 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Turns out it’s a big problem. He’s out for the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024