Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weekend's 2 minutes silence 11:22 - Nov 14 with 2817 viewsMookamoo

I stopped and observed the 2 minutes silence on Friday - 11th hour and all that.

It's all kicked off on our local Facebook group that our village also didn't observe a 2 minutes silence on Sunday as well. The church seems to have made the grievous mistake of having their 2 minutes silence during their Sunday morning service at 9:30.

Is it now a thing you have to do both?
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 11:25 - Nov 14 with 2499 viewsthebooks

It's ridiculous. We had to stop the exercise class I was in on Friday morning.

We don't *have* to do anything, do we? Free country and all that.
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 13:17 - Nov 14 with 2349 viewsfactual_blue

If you don't dress like the man in the foreground, you're a disgrace

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 15:39 - Nov 14 with 2240 viewsbluelagos

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 13:17 - Nov 14 by factual_blue

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:00 - Nov 14 with 2171 viewsfactual_blue

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 15:39 - Nov 14 by bluelagos

I remember being on holiday in Turkey a few years ago when there was a chap staying at the hotel who had Churchill's face, a couple of Spitfires and the Elizabeth Tower tattoo on his leg.

We didn't speak.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:14 - Nov 14 with 2136 viewsMookamoo

That looks as if he has shot it down and its in flames.
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:36 - Nov 14 with 2096 viewsMattinLondon

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:00 - Nov 14 by factual_blue

I remember being on holiday in Turkey a few years ago when there was a chap staying at the hotel who had Churchill's face, a couple of Spitfires and the Elizabeth Tower tattoo on his leg.

We didn't speak.

Which greatly upset me especially as I offered to lend you my spare Union flag (complete with No surrender on it) as a beach towel.
"Free country and all that"..... on 17:38 - Nov 14 with 2081 viewsBloots

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 11:25 - Nov 14 by thebooks

It's ridiculous. We had to stop the exercise class I was in on Friday morning.

We don't *have* to do anything, do we? Free country and all that.

....irony overload.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:54 - Nov 14 with 2056 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 17:00 - Nov 14 by factual_blue

We didn't speak.

"We didn't speak."

Was he a foreigner?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:01 - Nov 14 with 2049 viewsPlums

Has the 'artist' ever actually seen a spitfire? This one appears to have the cockpit of a Stuka and the wings on backwards but apart from that...

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:11 - Nov 14 with 2031 viewsDJR

Marking Armistice Day is a recent revival. Armistice Day was tied to WW1, and the whole point of Remembrance Sunday was to have a Sunday close to Armistice Day where those from both wars, and other conflicts, could be remembered at the same time.

So, I would scrap the marking of Armistice Day, but we've reached such a situation that things relating to the military are to an extent being rammed down our throat for what seems like political reasons, or to keep Daily Mail readers happy.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 18:12]
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:16 - Nov 14 with 2010 viewsDJR

It was good to see Bluey observing a minute's silence on Saturday.

It brought to mind this hilarious link which I think Dubtractor brought to my attention.

https://twitter.com/MascotSilence
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 18:18]
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:38 - Nov 14 with 1968 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I think people get too worked up about it, and I'm not a fan of nationalism, but I do like to observe the silence. Working from home in the last few years has meant that I have missed the actual 11:00 silence, certainly this year and last, which does annoy me a lot when I realise about half an hour later.

I'm not a big fan of how it has become commonplace in football matches during the middle of October, or those that get uppity about others not wearing a poppy, but I do find it an important point of reflection personally. For one thing, it reminds me of my Grandfather's scarred legs from his time with the Japanese. I've always loved history but rarely do I think we explicitly appreciate the true hardships past generations went through for freedom.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 19:07 - Nov 14 with 1942 viewsHARRY10

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:11 - Nov 14 by DJR

Marking Armistice Day is a recent revival. Armistice Day was tied to WW1, and the whole point of Remembrance Sunday was to have a Sunday close to Armistice Day where those from both wars, and other conflicts, could be remembered at the same time.

So, I would scrap the marking of Armistice Day, but we've reached such a situation that things relating to the military are to an extent being rammed down our throat for what seems like political reasons, or to keep Daily Mail readers happy.

Up till a few years back it was mainly cpmmerated by those who had served, or had family members who had served.

Now it has become another nationalistic freak show, by universally white people.

I recall one of the notable changes when talking to a couple of Aussies re their ANZAC day. It almost came to blows, over their ignorance. I don't expect folk to know about exact battles, dates, names etc but that there were other nationalities there, That a fair percent of those serving were born in the UK and/or first generation Australians.

Their view was the deaths were mainly caused by English generals not at Gallipoli, or English officers safe 'behind the lines'. It was to them a reminder of how the plucky 'digger' was sacrificed on the altar of English indifference.

As a matter of interest the French lost more men than did Australia 9700 v 8700, and Britain lost 34000. The figures do not back the over romanticised version many in Oz and NZ have of this event

And no, I am not taking a nationalistic view of that. I deplore any death. Even the Turks, who used soldiers from the empire - Syrians. More of those were killed than Australians.

The old saying that truth is the first casualty of war, it is also a long term wound of peace as well.
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 22:48 - Nov 14 with 1819 viewseireblue

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:01 - Nov 14 by Plums

Has the 'artist' ever actually seen a spitfire? This one appears to have the cockpit of a Stuka and the wings on backwards but apart from that...

Hurricane, fighter-bomber variant?
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 22:56 - Nov 14 with 1807 viewsSharkey

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:38 - Nov 14 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I think people get too worked up about it, and I'm not a fan of nationalism, but I do like to observe the silence. Working from home in the last few years has meant that I have missed the actual 11:00 silence, certainly this year and last, which does annoy me a lot when I realise about half an hour later.

I'm not a big fan of how it has become commonplace in football matches during the middle of October, or those that get uppity about others not wearing a poppy, but I do find it an important point of reflection personally. For one thing, it reminds me of my Grandfather's scarred legs from his time with the Japanese. I've always loved history but rarely do I think we explicitly appreciate the true hardships past generations went through for freedom.

I'm with you, but would go further. I'd get rid of it at football matches. if people want to, they can make the effort to go to their nearest War Memorial to gather and pay their respects. (I do.) As things stand, at football it's not a display of respect at all, but of obedience, because the silence is compulsory.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 22:58]
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:18 - Nov 14 with 1764 viewsjeera

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 22:48 - Nov 14 by eireblue

Hurricane, fighter-bomber variant?

Exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Stuka cockpit with a Hurricane fuselage.

The only plane it doesn't really resemble is a Spitfire.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:33 - Nov 14 with 1745 viewsjeera

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 22:56 - Nov 14 by Sharkey

I'm with you, but would go further. I'd get rid of it at football matches. if people want to, they can make the effort to go to their nearest War Memorial to gather and pay their respects. (I do.) As things stand, at football it's not a display of respect at all, but of obedience, because the silence is compulsory.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 22:58]

Dunno.

I still feel it's important to make use of any gathering, especially of that size, to take a few moments as a mark of respect.

Completely agree people make their choice regarding the wearing of a poppy and that it's sad the occasion has become a bit of a circus in such a way. No need to be point-scoring over the weeks before and after the commemoration. People will have their thoughts and should be allowed to respectfully go about their business.

I haven't even worn one this year, but for no reason other than the opportunity hasn't risen. I have made the usual couple of modest donations when out and about but it feels a bit showy to be putting on a poppy when I know I'm only popping to the local shop.

I actually think the main difference this year has it's been too mild out for a jacket so it's not crossed my mind to attach one to whatever top I'm wearing. Other years I'd have one attached to an every day jacket so it would automatically be there when I grabbed it on the way out the door.

I'd prefer a badge too, but one that could be used each year. Not keen on seeing the waste every year of paper poppies piled up everywhere I go. Would it gradually stop people donating though? I honestly don't know.

Hopefully in the future the cause will no longer be needed.

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:37 - Nov 14 with 1734 viewsChurchman

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:01 - Nov 14 by Plums

It looks like a cross between a Morane MS 406 and a Curtiss P40. If you are going to go to that much trouble, looking up what a Spitfire or Hurricane actually looked like might have been an idea. It’s not exactly difficult.

As for Remembrance, I believe it’s very important. It certainly is to me. A little time each year isn’t too much to give up, given the sacrifice so many have made in the conflicts of the 20/21st centuries in my view.

For those that object to it, they are not alone. The politicians after WW1 were violently opposed to it too. The concept as we see it now only came into existence because there had never been a situation previously where so many young men were buried abroad or missing.

Apart from those that died in hospitals in Britain, the only body repatriated was the grandson of William Gladstone. There was uproar over that. Many widows, parents etc spent years searching for their loved ones. The Victorian concept of death/burial of a body was very strong so why couldn’t their loved ones come home? Simply numbers.

The unknown soldier was a concession to grief and of course was designed to represent all of the missing. The government grudgingly allowed an Armistice day parade as a one off and Lutyens Cenotaph was a temporary structure made of wood. It’s basically a big plinth with a coffin on top. The trouble for the old fogeys in government was that the people would not conform and the result was what we see today.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 23:54]
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:56 - Nov 14 with 1710 viewsjeera

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:37 - Nov 14 by Churchman

It looks like a cross between a Morane MS 406 and a Curtiss P40. If you are going to go to that much trouble, looking up what a Spitfire or Hurricane actually looked like might have been an idea. It’s not exactly difficult.

As for Remembrance, I believe it’s very important. It certainly is to me. A little time each year isn’t too much to give up, given the sacrifice so many have made in the conflicts of the 20/21st centuries in my view.

For those that object to it, they are not alone. The politicians after WW1 were violently opposed to it too. The concept as we see it now only came into existence because there had never been a situation previously where so many young men were buried abroad or missing.

Apart from those that died in hospitals in Britain, the only body repatriated was the grandson of William Gladstone. There was uproar over that. Many widows, parents etc spent years searching for their loved ones. The Victorian concept of death/burial of a body was very strong so why couldn’t their loved ones come home? Simply numbers.

The unknown soldier was a concession to grief and of course was designed to represent all of the missing. The government grudgingly allowed an Armistice day parade as a one off and Lutyens Cenotaph was a temporary structure made of wood. It’s basically a big plinth with a coffin on top. The trouble for the old fogeys in government was that the people would not conform and the result was what we see today.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 23:54]

And a sort of elongated Mustang type nose.

It's probably made from that papier mache stuff anyway.

Bloody French sounding muck.

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 00:40 - Nov 15 with 1682 viewsSarge

Imagine how the Facebook group would feel about people eating pies during it.
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 07:13 - Nov 15 with 1611 viewsChurchman

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 23:56 - Nov 14 by jeera

And a sort of elongated Mustang type nose.

It's probably made from that papier mache stuff anyway.

Bloody French sounding muck.

More Yak 9 methinks.

Whether papier-mâché mache or not, unlike the Yak 9 it isn’t very good.
"Free country and all that"..... on 12:32 - Nov 15 with 1468 viewstextbackup

"Free country and all that"..... on 17:38 - Nov 14 by Bloots

....irony overload.

lol, made me chuckle

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 14:38 - Nov 15 with 1381 viewsDarkHorse

So dignified.

Brings a lump to your throat, doesn't it.
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 15:47 - Nov 15 with 1335 viewsMeadowlark

It's all kicked off on our "Local Facebook group".....
🤣🤣🤣🤣

And

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:06 - Nov 15 with 1273 viewsRadlett_blue

Weekend's 2 minutes silence on 18:11 - Nov 14 by DJR

And why 2 minutes? Surely one minute is enough for anyone,

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024