Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... 14:00 - Jan 23 with 4350 viewsitfcjoe

....we often bill games as 'must win' but tomorrow surely is?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 16:10 - Jan 23 with 1322 viewsVic

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:12 - Jan 23 by Dubtractor

Yeah, I think it probably is. We need 7 points minimum from the next 3 imo.

Saturday's result didn't wind me up too much overall, even though we clearly weren't good enough, because the conditions were so farcical that it made it a lottery. Portsmouth and Lincoln away were far more costly for me.

We need a run where we win 7 out of 10 now, or similar, to really get ourselves back on track. I genuinely think we're still in the race for the top 2, but we've got to motor a bit now.

Trouble is that we haven't actually managed a run like that for donkey's years have we - even this year we haven't got anywhere near doing that.

We desperately need to get back to winning regularly and if we do that, with a few draws thrown in we'll be there or there about's because surely, Plymouth and Weds cannot keep their current form up to the end of the season. if they do then hats off to them - they will have proven to be better than us.

FWIW I think this is the biggest test so far of KM's young managerial career. let;s see how he copes and comes through a proper dip in form. Has he got the tactical and management nouse to get them out of it. I'm confident he will have - but it may just be too late for the auto's this season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 16:51 - Jan 23 with 1246 viewsKievthegreat

It's not must win yet, but our margin for error is decreasing.

For anyone fretting about the league table today, wait until after the Wednesday game before worrying about points gaps. We have the opportunity to deny Wednesday points, plus them and/or Plymouth will have to drop points as they play each other. If we do our bit and win the 2 winnable game plus the Wednesday game (obviously will be tough), then we will be at most 4 points off the autos.

It's not a given by a long way that we can get 3 wins on the bounce, but it's within our control to relieve that pressure and calm the nerves and stop the gap getting away from us.
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 16:58 - Jan 23 with 1204 viewspositivity

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 16:10 - Jan 23 by Vic

Trouble is that we haven't actually managed a run like that for donkey's years have we - even this year we haven't got anywhere near doing that.

We desperately need to get back to winning regularly and if we do that, with a few draws thrown in we'll be there or there about's because surely, Plymouth and Weds cannot keep their current form up to the end of the season. if they do then hats off to them - they will have proven to be better than us.

FWIW I think this is the biggest test so far of KM's young managerial career. let;s see how he copes and comes through a proper dip in form. Has he got the tactical and management nouse to get them out of it. I'm confident he will have - but it may just be too late for the auto's this season.

"Trouble is that we haven't actually managed a run like that for donkey's years have we - even this year we haven't got anywhere near doing that."

small point of order, i think we *have* managed that this season (we won 7 of 10 before lincoln i think (and 9 in 12 if you go back another couple)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 17:06 - Jan 23 with 1179 viewsKropotkin123

I think the next three games shape our season. Win all three and we're are right in it, as Plymouth play Sheffield the game before we play Sheff Wed. I think after then we could see some legitimate meltdowns (if we are still thinking about the top 2). With 9 points from our next 9, we could realistically be a point or 2 behind Sheff Wed. Drop points and it could still seem like a distant target

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

POST OF THE DAY... But... on 17:15 - Jan 23 with 1136 viewsunstableblue

...with a caveat

We have even better players and embedded system ahead of a lowly Morecambe side, to repeat the Boxing Day and Rotherham demolitions.... and this is our chance of keeping in the promotion hunt, which relies on frankly winning our next 3

'MUST WIN GAME' and 'HOW SOON IS NOW' are my favourite sayings to boot.

But the caveat is that we need to build some momentum that stays till the end of the season, we need to get this final set of McKenna players to become very strong, resilient and confident... and you know what that might not begin tomorrow.. so we shouldn't have a melt down... we need to stick with the team... and remember that if the run comes with 5 games to go till the play-offs that's almost better!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 17:27 - Jan 23 with 1091 viewscbower

Got to take our chances. Burns miss on Saturday looks worse every time I see it. When we fail to take chances, pressure is heaped on our defence. Your comment re Walton being bang average for pretty much the entire season is so true. Would be difficult (perhaps Burton aside) to say where his contribution has gained us any points. Trouble is, Hladky doesn't inspire and Walton needs us to show belief. He is a good keeper for sure. Would like to see Fridge back but there is something amiss there. Clarke, Broadhead and maybe Hirst all to start. JD on bench can cover all defensive positions for me.

bluescouser

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:25 - Jan 23 with 1042 viewsHorsham

It feels that way, imagine if we don’t win…there will be meltdownageddon.

But if we don’t win then we don’t. The season won’t be over. If we fail to be promoted automatically then there is no guarantee we won’t win the playoffs so I guess really the it isn’t must win. For me it’s if we don’t win I’ll be really REALLY pissed off but we can’t give up on the season or allow the support to become toxic. Whatever happens tomorrow there is everything to play for this season.
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:42 - Jan 23 with 1023 viewsstrikalite

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:25 - Jan 23 by Horsham

It feels that way, imagine if we don’t win…there will be meltdownageddon.

But if we don’t win then we don’t. The season won’t be over. If we fail to be promoted automatically then there is no guarantee we won’t win the playoffs so I guess really the it isn’t must win. For me it’s if we don’t win I’ll be really REALLY pissed off but we can’t give up on the season or allow the support to become toxic. Whatever happens tomorrow there is everything to play for this season.

It's a huge game because if they don't win then confidence will take a massive hit, the belief is probably just about there still(you'd hope), my worst fear is that Morcambe score first, then the pressure really will be on, but I don't want to think about that...
Login to get fewer ads

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:51 - Jan 23 with 998 viewsHorsham

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:42 - Jan 23 by strikalite

It's a huge game because if they don't win then confidence will take a massive hit, the belief is probably just about there still(you'd hope), my worst fear is that Morcambe score first, then the pressure really will be on, but I don't want to think about that...

Yeah I accept it’s massive and the danger is a defeat or even a draw will create such a negative vibe it could blow us so far off course we even miss the playoffs. It’s for precisely that reason that if it happens we all need to refocus and go again and not allow that to happen. The fans have got a massive role to play. Everyone needs to stay calm and do their jobs. The players need to do there’s a whole lot better than they have lately. The supporters need to keep supporting!
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:55 - Jan 23 with 988 viewsibbleobble

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:15 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

If we want to get automatic promotion, from the position we are in, you don't need to win every game - but realistically we need to win 14 of the 19 remaining......if you don't beat Morecambe at home and that becomes 14 of 18 then you are p'ing in the wind.

If we can win our next 2 games, then with Plymouth and SW playing on Saturday week we'll go into the home game vs Sheffield Wednesday withing touching distance of the top 2.

It really is a game we simply have to win if any desires on the top 2; and we will win it

I was having this discussion with someone saying that 13 out of 20 was a tall order, not insurmountable but tough. 13 or 14 out of 19 just isn’t going to happen. Any points dropped against any of the bottom half and it’s play-offs, no question.
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 19:02 - Jan 23 with 985 viewsstrikalite

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 18:51 - Jan 23 by Horsham

Yeah I accept it’s massive and the danger is a defeat or even a draw will create such a negative vibe it could blow us so far off course we even miss the playoffs. It’s for precisely that reason that if it happens we all need to refocus and go again and not allow that to happen. The fans have got a massive role to play. Everyone needs to stay calm and do their jobs. The players need to do there’s a whole lot better than they have lately. The supporters need to keep supporting!

100% agree, the fans need to stay onside or this season could seriously slip away and it really shouldn't do because we shouldn't fear the play offs even..
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:05 - Jan 23 with 946 viewsThe_Realist_09

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:15 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

If we want to get automatic promotion, from the position we are in, you don't need to win every game - but realistically we need to win 14 of the 19 remaining......if you don't beat Morecambe at home and that becomes 14 of 18 then you are p'ing in the wind.

If we can win our next 2 games, then with Plymouth and SW playing on Saturday week we'll go into the home game vs Sheffield Wednesday withing touching distance of the top 2.

It really is a game we simply have to win if any desires on the top 2; and we will win it

Definitely a test of the minerals within the squad to find a way to win no matter what.

Lets hope we find a few moments of quality, and a clean sheet would do us the world of good also.
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:13 - Jan 23 with 916 viewsjas0999

If we can’t beat them at home … oh dear. Sheffield and Plymouth WIN.
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:15 - Jan 23 with 910 viewsBobsthename

Lol Ain’t they all now .
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:33 - Jan 23 with 899 viewsitfcjoe

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 17:27 - Jan 23 by cbower

Got to take our chances. Burns miss on Saturday looks worse every time I see it. When we fail to take chances, pressure is heaped on our defence. Your comment re Walton being bang average for pretty much the entire season is so true. Would be difficult (perhaps Burton aside) to say where his contribution has gained us any points. Trouble is, Hladky doesn't inspire and Walton needs us to show belief. He is a good keeper for sure. Would like to see Fridge back but there is something amiss there. Clarke, Broadhead and maybe Hirst all to start. JD on bench can cover all defensive positions for me.

I know from Hurst/Lambert era, that at times defence struggled because they knew their was so much pressure on them because there was just no goals in the side - if we got the first goal felt like a huge relief and we generally went on to do well in the game (especially in that first L1 season under Lambert).

Wonder if there is some reverse of that, where the defence gets more and more tense and error prone the more chances that are missed as it feels like same old story playing out.

I don't think I've explained that very well but hopefully someone gets it!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:43 - Jan 23 with 881 viewsbilllm

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 17:27 - Jan 23 by cbower

Burns has scored some good goals this season, bagged us some points,
But I wish sometimes he would use craft and not always go for the power shot, he would have scored Saturday if he had placed,
Harness is another classic case that's two in two for him,
He would have beaten cooper had he gone low left or curled it in not powered it,
Maybe that's why there league one,
An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:48 - Jan 23 with 874 viewsSwansea_Blue

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:10 - Jan 23 by TractorCam

Every game is a must win if we want automatic promotion, which I do.

In mindset, absolutely. We’re playing catch-up and I can’t see either of the other two having a slump like we just have. Technically we can probably afford to lose a couple and draw a couple (maybe), but that’s just being pedantic.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 20:58 - Jan 23 with 838 viewsBondiBlue

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:16 - Jan 23 by LankHenners

I generally only consider must win games in the more literal sense like if we're third on the final day a point off second and therefore we have to win to have a chance of autos but we're in a spot where we need to rack up the victories so at least 6 of the next 8 are realistically 'must win' with tomorrow being a relative soft ball for us to hit out the park.

Same re: terminology. It's not technically a must win. But if we can't beat morecambe at home, we don't deserve to get promoted (and we're clearly not ready for the championship), no matter how good their form is. We shouldn't be beating morecambe just because we're ipswich, we should be beating them because that's what a good team would do.

Poll: Which would you accept?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 21:04 - Jan 23 with 824 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 14:01 - Jan 23 by FrimleyBlue

Not a must win. 18 games left after that.

How does your garden grow Frimmers?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 21:11 - Jan 23 with 805 viewsNthsuffolkblue

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 16:58 - Jan 23 by positivity

"Trouble is that we haven't actually managed a run like that for donkey's years have we - even this year we haven't got anywhere near doing that."

small point of order, i think we *have* managed that this season (we won 7 of 10 before lincoln i think (and 9 in 12 if you go back another couple)

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

An actual, genuine, 'MUST WIN GAME' tomorrow..... on 06:12 - Jan 24 with 671 viewspeterleeblue

Full-time: Sunderland 5-0 Morecambe

Goals: Stewart 13’, Broadhead 17’, 68’, Pritchard 56’, Dajaku 87’

Happy huntings for Nathan - lets hope it continues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024