Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leaving early 12:13 - Apr 17 with 5180 viewsWhens_Lunch

What a day Saturday was, let's hope for more.

What I can never understand is leaving early and it happens at pretty much every level.
We were in the Cobbold and a few were leaving on 88 minutes and it really bothered me.
The sun was out, the football was great, goals flying in, the place is rocking, not seen this level of excitement in a generation. Why go home??
Leaving early on 12:15 - Apr 17 with 3575 viewsblueislander

The obvious answer is to get ahead of the traffic.
Leaving early on 12:16 - Apr 17 with 3567 viewsSitfcB

Leaving early on 12:15 - Apr 17 by blueislander

Why bother going at all.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Leaving early on 12:17 - Apr 17 with 3548 viewsVegtablue

The second being a big horse race on. Their loss!
Leaving early on 12:21 - Apr 17 with 3493 viewshype313

We had to leave on 90 to get a train as my son had a party to go to, so missed the Davis gaol, but seeing as we were 5-0 up it wasn't the end of the world.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Leaving early on 12:23 - Apr 17 with 3471 viewsclive_baker

Guess there are a few with practical reasons, getting a certain train or they have to be somewhere. Personally I would rather sit and wait for a few minutes than leave early. It's remarkable how quicky a football stadium can clear out really, considering there's 30,000 people there. Road networks a little different of course.

We tend to go for a post match pint, let the crowds disappear and then getting home is a doddle. Spend half an hour in the pub and probably only get home 10 minutes later than we would otherwise.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Leaving early on 12:25 - Apr 17 with 3462 viewsxrayspecs

I normally stay to the final whistle but left on 92 minutes, as game was won. If I get out ahead of the majority of fans, it saves me around 30 minutes in travel time.

Also, the A12 was closed southbound on Saturday so already knew I had a major diversion that would add to my journey time.

Was in the fanzone at 1 so got my money's worth.
Leaving early on 12:26 - Apr 17 with 3438 viewscressi

Leaving early on 12:21 - Apr 17 by hype313

We had to leave on 90 to get a train as my son had a party to go to, so missed the Davis gaol, but seeing as we were 5-0 up it wasn't the end of the world.

I did but a rarity I was going out to a show and wanted to miss the traffic, better than missing the game,
Leaving early on 12:26 - Apr 17 with 3433 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Because people have places to be?! I left on 90 to beat the traffic and probably got home 45mins earlier than I would have otherwise done, and therefore can go out elsewhere on Saturday night.
Login to get fewer ads

Leaving early on 12:27 - Apr 17 with 3422 viewsitfcpaul

We always leave early, even earlier that you said

We live over 3 hours away and that with leaving early and if we stayed it may take up to 5 hours to get back, we set off at 7:30am on match days and still only arrive home 12 hours later........

So yes we risk leaving and have missed a few goals, both for and against, but my wife's disability means it is something we have to do!!

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Leaving early on 12:28 - Apr 17 with 3401 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Leaving early on 12:25 - Apr 17 by xrayspecs

I normally stay to the final whistle but left on 92 minutes, as game was won. If I get out ahead of the majority of fans, it saves me around 30 minutes in travel time.

Also, the A12 was closed southbound on Saturday so already knew I had a major diversion that would add to my journey time.

Was in the fanzone at 1 so got my money's worth.

Anybody know the A12 situation after the game tomorrow?
Leaving early on 12:30 - Apr 17 with 3375 viewsxrayspecs

Leaving early on 12:28 - Apr 17 by PrideOfTheEast

Anybody know the A12 situation after the game tomorrow?

Closed northbound from 8pm, so should be ok both ways.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-roads/east/a12-margaretting-bypass-junctions-
Leaving early on 12:31 - Apr 17 with 3359 viewsgainsboroughblue

Because people maybe need to be somewhere else?

Maybe they have to start work at teatime and wanted to go to the game beforehand.

Maybe they live a few hours away and want to make a head start on traffic.

They're not making anyone else leave with them so I don't know why another persons choice bothers people so much.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 12:32]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Leaving early on 12:38 - Apr 17 with 3251 viewsBent_double

What bothers me more is the constant coming and going of people during the game, you're constantly getting up and sitting down again to let people past you who need the loo (for the 3rd or 4th time).

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Leaving early on 12:45 - Apr 17 with 3188 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I'm with you. It's a two and half hour journey each way for me but I've never left early. For me, you're there to support and that includes seeing the players off, particularly when they've put in such a good performance.

Maybe it says more about modern football fans in general. There are a lot of people who are there for the entertainment, not because they're deeply infatuated with the Club. Kids that would rather play FIFA than watch a game, adults looking for something to post on social media, football tourists. To each their own, but I find it disappointing to see banks of empty seats when we've comprehensively thrashed teams like FGR, Wycombe and Charlton.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Leaving early on 12:49 - Apr 17 with 3138 viewsDyland

I've no doubt done so other times but only recently remember leaving early once, when we were being thrashed by the budgies in that night game under Jewell.

To answer your question, it's to beat the traffic I guess. Seems like adding unnecessary stress to me, unless you really have to be somewhere else at a certain time. If you're parked near the ground you're probably better off staying put for fifteen or twenty minutes. Each to their own though.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Leaving early on 12:57 - Apr 17 with 3068 viewshoppy

We always wait until the final whistle, and see the players go off the pitch... then head up to Beatties for a pint/catch up after the game with ITFC_forever and others (they also had the grand national on in there on Saturday - on the TVs, not literally hosting it there)... That all let's the traffic ease a bit, sometimes have a chat with some of the players when we leave there, as they're often still heading to their cars as we leave out of the main driveway. Spoke to Mark Ashton on Saturday who said games like that are great, but no good for his blood pressure!!
At the moment, all that just adds to the enjoyment of the matchday, rather than saving a few mins by leaving before the end of the game.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Leaving early on 13:01 - Apr 17 with 2987 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Leaving early on 12:38 - Apr 17 by Bent_double

What bothers me more is the constant coming and going of people during the game, you're constantly getting up and sitting down again to let people past you who need the loo (for the 3rd or 4th time).

What annoys me is people tutting and moaning when you try and sneak out to get a pint just before half time as you don't want to get stuck in the queue. This could go on forever

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Leaving early on 13:07 - Apr 17 with 2910 viewspennblue

Leaving early on 12:16 - Apr 17 by SitfcB

Why bother going at all.

Well more to the point, why bother going home at all? I mean, you are likely going to be back there next home match.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Leaving early on 13:11 - Apr 17 with 2862 viewsDJR

Your talking about my mates! I, however, have a strong bladder.
Is it any different to.... on 13:15 - Apr 17 with 2821 viewsBloots

....nipping out 3 mins before half time to get a beer and getting back 3 mins into the second half?

Pretty sure it's up to each individual what they do, I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 with 2798 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Leaving early on 12:45 - Apr 17 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I'm with you. It's a two and half hour journey each way for me but I've never left early. For me, you're there to support and that includes seeing the players off, particularly when they've put in such a good performance.

Maybe it says more about modern football fans in general. There are a lot of people who are there for the entertainment, not because they're deeply infatuated with the Club. Kids that would rather play FIFA than watch a game, adults looking for something to post on social media, football tourists. To each their own, but I find it disappointing to see banks of empty seats when we've comprehensively thrashed teams like FGR, Wycombe and Charlton.

If the trains were to run properly I wouldn't need to drive at all, and would stay until the end. Saturday and for pretty much half of EVERY season they do not and there is a rail replacement through Essex. So my choice is either queue in traffic until about 6pm to get on the A12 and therefore get home after my kids are in bed, or leave on 90 and probably get on the A12 for 17:10. It's a no brainer for me when we're comfortably seeing a game out against irrelevant opposition.

Tomorrow night, I'll be leaving early to get the 2144 to London. That ensures I get home before midnight and since I have an 8am meeting on Weds, that's probably sensible versus getting in about an hour later if I miss the 2144.

I'm anything but a modern football fan and have followed the club religiously home and away for the better part of 30 years now.
Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 with 2795 viewsDJR

I like to stay behind in SBR upper to cheer the team after the game, and these days get the Harry Clarke fist pump.

It was particularly good on Saturday because the vast majority in SBR upper did the same.

It meant I didn't get to my car in the old Wherstead Road until 5.25, and didn't get home until about 7.35, but it was worth it.

I am, however, an old codger (married to Mrs Codger) who rarely does anything on a Saturday night.

EDIT: I normally prefer to get the train, but find the 17.19 allows me time to stay after the game, and not get home too late. And for evening games, I have the option of driving across the Dartford Crossing to Shenfield, and catching the train from there, which means I don't have to get the 21.44.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 13:29]
Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 with 2788 viewsfarkenhell

Leaving early on 12:21 - Apr 17 by hype313

Davis was incarcerated on Saturday? Bloody hell - hope he's released in time for tomorrow's game!
Leaving early on 13:43 - Apr 17 with 2639 viewsBluefields

6 pints in arent they
Leaving early on 13:49 - Apr 17 with 2595 viewsZx1988

Not so much that, but those who do it, and then insist on returning to their seat during an exciting passage of play, rather than hunching down on the end of the row until a more appropriate point.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024