Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favouite Ground in the 92? 14:05 - Apr 27 with 4148 viewsyorkshireblue

Having a chat with a guy in the office working on the 92, and he said that the best grounds are generally either older ones with character - or the brand new ones at the top of the Prem. All personal prefernce of course, but I can see that. I much prefer places like Barnsley and the two Sheffield Clubs to Hull, Derby and Bolton. I went to the Burnley game having not been there for a while and I like what they have done - modernised it, but managed to still keep it Turf Moor (wouldn't be hard mind.... last time I was there we had wooden seats).

My mate is desperate to get to Goodison before Everton move as that's one of the handful he has left. He's actually done over 92 grounds but some are no longer in the football league.

So, what is your favouite ground in England? Outside of Portman Road obviously.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:01 - Apr 27 with 1365 viewsMedwayTractor

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:54 - Apr 27 by HighgateBlue

I think Luton divides opinion. If they got rid of it, they might end up with something like Reading. At least Luton's ground has huge amounts of character, even if it doesn't have a lot else going for it. I wouldn't want to go there 20+ times a season, I know that much.

From footballgroundguide.com:

In January 2019 the club received planning permission to build a new 17,500 capacity stadium (with an option to increase to 22,500 at a later date), at a site known as Power Court, which is located near to Luton Railway Station. This is great news as previous proposals for a new ground were to be for an out of town location near Junction 10 of the M1.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:02 - Apr 27 with 1367 viewsMatt_Netherlands

In no particular order:

Upton Park
White Hart Lane
Hillsborough

Also worth noting that according to 442. Portman Road isn’t in the top 100 stadiums in the country:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-100-best-football-stadiums-groun
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:13 - Apr 27 with 1354 viewsxrayspecs

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:35 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Stoke really is grim. I always thought the cages around the kiosks completed the look quite appropriately. (I’ve seen an awful Stoke v Watford match there - could have been the same one).

January 2018, Premier League.

I managed to get a good seat near the half way line. As soon as the game started the chap behind me went into fullon commentary mode, encouraging or criticising the Skoke players pretty much every time they touched the ball. It was exhausting.

I then understood why the seats infront of him were available to buy at short notice.

I left my seat at half time and when I got to the stadium exit gates where the smokers congregated, I just kept walking.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:19 - Apr 27 with 1341 viewsvilanovablue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:29 - Apr 27 by hoppy

I've only been to the Tottenham Stadium once, and that was for a rugby match a month or so ago. I've not been there for the football as yet, so having a beer in the seat, mixed in with fans from both sides didn't give me the full effect, but the ground is a thing of beauty... the superstore, the brewery and the relatively short queues to get served despite the numbers in the ground was very impressive.

Some of the other notable ones I've enjoyed for various reasons are The Dell, the Manor Ground for their quirkiness, the old Brentford ground with a pub on every corner, Walsall was enjoyable for a Tuesday night, with a lovely hat-trick thrown in to enjoy. Fulham has always been good and probably many others I've forgotten.

I was a huge fan of Brentford's old ground. Spurs new stadium as mentioned elsewhere is something to behold.

In terms of newer grounds I quite like Brighton's stadium. In terms of older grounds probably Everton or Elland Road.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:19 - Apr 27 with 1341 viewsIllinoisblue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:47 - Apr 27 by StochesStotasBlewe

Used to enjoy our visits to Filbert Street. Proper old school ground. See also Baseball Ground.
Get why they were replaced by modern stadiums but as a young un, had some good memories following Towen back then.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 15:48]

Filbert St was my first ever away, back in 89. Cracking atmosphere in that away end.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 17:19 - Apr 27 with 1283 viewsjontysnut

Quite like Newcastle but not necessarily for the away end. A good day/night out all in walking distance.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 19:42 - Apr 27 with 1222 viewsmonkeymagic

Hillsborough
Goodison
Loftus Road

A left field one for me was the old dell. It was sh*te but I liked its quirkiness.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 19:45 - Apr 27 with 1219 viewshoppy

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 19:42 - Apr 27 by monkeymagic

Hillsborough
Goodison
Loftus Road

A left field one for me was the old dell. It was sh*te but I liked its quirkiness.

I also said The Dell, and the Manor Ground earlier on, for their quirkiness.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 20:19 - Apr 27 with 1194 viewsKropotkin123

In no particular order:
- The Den.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 20:35 - Apr 27 with 1182 viewsChurchman

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 16:02 - Apr 27 by Matt_Netherlands

In no particular order:

Upton Park
White Hart Lane
Hillsborough

Also worth noting that according to 442. Portman Road isn’t in the top 100 stadiums in the country:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-100-best-football-stadiums-groun

Of the ‘gone’ grounds, Highbury. Stylish and magnificent. Scene of the 78 semi final. Loved it. The old White Hart Lane was good, but it wasn’t Highbury.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 21:18 - Apr 27 with 1137 viewssolemio

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:47 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

Can't believe no-one here has gone for the Madejski as their fave.

I used to like Reading's old ground though. It had character.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 21:29 - Apr 27 with 1129 viewsPilgrimblue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 21:18 - Apr 27 by solemio

I used to like Reading's old ground though. It had character.

I’d agree as been to old and new.

Not done many but Villa Park would be up there.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 21:31 - Apr 27 with 1127 viewssohamblue74

Some great ones to choose from.

Forest and County both good.
Both Sheffield clubs are decent.
Crewe was great a few years back.
Ditto Barnsley and Plymouth.
Tough to beat the shabby charm of Cambridge or Exeter.
Watford is okay. Also liked Filbert Street and Baseball Ground.
Villa is good too.
Palace is okay. Stockport was fun a few years back.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 21:46 - Apr 27 with 1094 viewsthebooks

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:50 - Apr 27 by homer_123

Depends.

Spurs new ground is pretty awesome.

Fratton Park, Anfield and...oddly.....Leyton Orients ground I all really like.

I saw quite a few Os games in the late 90s and always liked it, even though one stand was missing. You could have lunch and a drink in Wanstead beforehand.

Similar fondness for Charlton. Not a huge amount to do in Charlton itself, but it was a part of the area.

The old Highbury was good for that as well.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 22:26 - Apr 27 with 1076 viewsLeistonBlue

I genuinely think that as an away fan, Portman Road would be hard to beat. Great history, 5 min walk from rail station, right in the centre of town and a decent dedicated away pub with a beer garden. What more could you want?
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 22:30 - Apr 27 with 1062 viewswellsy700

Craven Cottage

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 06:53 - Apr 28 with 1013 viewsLRB84UK

I definitely prefer an older ground, one with a bit of character. I'd rather see 4 mismatched stands than a complete ground like mk dons. My favourite to visit are
Portsmouth
Luton
Fulham
Port Vale
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 07:21 - Apr 28 with 998 viewsbuoyant

Vote for Loftus Road here

It's nothing special as a stadium, but I love the intimacy of a full house there. Close to the pitch and compact.

And as other have already said, Villa. It's got something special about it

UTT

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 07:54 - Apr 28 with 965 viewsBondiBlue

Easy - carrow road.

I've seen us win there twice.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 08:40 - Apr 28 with 945 viewsLeaky

My favourite was Brentford's old ground pub on each corner
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 08:55 - Apr 28 with 938 viewsGavTWTD

I don't really have a favourite ground apart from our own which never fails to bring emotions when i visit. Certainly plenty of happy memories at away matches but no favourites.

Couple of mentions for Fulham and Everton here. I felt really uneasy at Goodison. Wooden stand and when the town fans stamped on the floor it was a bit unnerving. I was young though. I've been to Fulham a few times.as a neutral in their main stand and is a painful experience. The seats are fixed with no room for your legs underneath so when people want to get passed there's nowhere to go. Stupid design.

Traditional stadiums are things to be cherished though and I certainly approve of evolution rather than creating soulless bowls. We're lucky to have FPR.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 09:01 - Apr 28 with 931 viewstractordownsouth

I’ve only done 15 of the 92 but the two Sheffield grounds are decent.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 10:46 - Apr 28 with 895 viewsBondiBlue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 08:55 - Apr 28 by GavTWTD

I don't really have a favourite ground apart from our own which never fails to bring emotions when i visit. Certainly plenty of happy memories at away matches but no favourites.

Couple of mentions for Fulham and Everton here. I felt really uneasy at Goodison. Wooden stand and when the town fans stamped on the floor it was a bit unnerving. I was young though. I've been to Fulham a few times.as a neutral in their main stand and is a painful experience. The seats are fixed with no room for your legs underneath so when people want to get passed there's nowhere to go. Stupid design.

Traditional stadiums are things to be cherished though and I certainly approve of evolution rather than creating soulless bowls. We're lucky to have FPR.

Know what you mean about goodison. FA cup game in 99? Like being on a boat.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024