Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site 09:59 - Jun 20 with 23105 viewsdavblue

If they are still alive, i dread to think how they are feeling.

Doesn't sound like there's much hope for them judging by the bits that are being released.
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 11:52 - Jun 20 with 2334 viewschicoazul

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 10:30 - Jun 20 by davblue

They had Nasa and other experts help design it but like you say it wouldn't fill me with much confidence.

Why would you want people who build spaceships to build you a submarine

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:19 - Jun 20 with 2251 viewsthe_toff

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 10:33 - Jun 20 by ElderGrizzly

17 bolts. All from the outside. Zero means of escape from the inside.

It's basically a diving coffin.

And also why it is not signed off my any of the agencies who would normally sign off this type of thing.

The CBS reporter who went on it last year got to 37 feet down and had to come back up as it failed. They are 2 1/2 miles down (probably) and only 3 subs exist in the world that can go that deep. And even then, they can't rescue them because of the issues mentioned above.

This might be a stupid question but what would you achieve from escaping at 12,500 ft?
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:28 - Jun 20 with 2222 viewsElderGrizzly

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:19 - Jun 20 by the_toff

This might be a stupid question but what would you achieve from escaping at 12,500 ft?

Nothing. But they also can’t escape if they were on the surface.
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:35 - Jun 20 with 2191 viewsthe_toff

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:28 - Jun 20 by ElderGrizzly

Nothing. But they also can’t escape if they were on the surface.

Got you, that makes sense. See, it was a stupid question :)
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 12:56 - Jun 20 with 2114 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Probably somewhat daft for getting in the thing in the first place. Hope they get out obviously but seriously wtf!
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:10 - Jun 20 with 2069 viewsBlueBadger

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 11:06 - Jun 20 by hype313

Hypoxia is not like suffocation, you get sleepy and lethargic and gradually drift off to sleep......

Strictly speaking, that's carbon dioxide narcosis(or, to give it the technical term - type 2 respiratory failure) rather than hypoxia that makes you drowsy.

Hypoxia is under oxygenation('oxygen starvation'). Although, in a sealed environment like a sub, you're likely to get both as the available O2 is used up and more exhaled CO2 is present as a percentage in the remaining air.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 13:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:13 - Jun 20 with 2059 viewshype313

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:10 - Jun 20 by BlueBadger

Strictly speaking, that's carbon dioxide narcosis(or, to give it the technical term - type 2 respiratory failure) rather than hypoxia that makes you drowsy.

Hypoxia is under oxygenation('oxygen starvation'). Although, in a sealed environment like a sub, you're likely to get both as the available O2 is used up and more exhaled CO2 is present as a percentage in the remaining air.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 13:14]

I'll obviously bow to your superior knowledge Badger.

Either way, it's not a great end for them, I suppose Hypoxia would be the lesser of two evils compared with Suffocation where your lungs and Oesophagus get crushed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:14 - Jun 20 with 2051 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 11:52 - Jun 20 by chicoazul

Why would you want people who build spaceships to build you a submarine

Yeah...

If you wanted an airtight capsule for an inhospitable environment then why would you go to people who build airtight capsules for inhospitable environments?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:18 - Jun 20 with 2038 viewsElderGrizzly

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:14 - Jun 20 by Tangledupin_Blue

Yeah...

If you wanted an airtight capsule for an inhospitable environment then why would you go to people who build airtight capsules for inhospitable environments?

However, it does look like they may have gone to Nisa in this instance
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 2004 viewstampa_bay

A few members of my wife’s family have been down there (my father-in-law lead the first three expeditions to find Titanic) and it’s never sounded appealing. My brother-in-law was on the news in the USA basically saying that, unfortunately, he doesn’t think there’s any chance of survival.
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:56 - Jun 20 with 1961 viewsRyorry

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 10:52 - Jun 20 by the_toff

I think I'm right in saying one of the 5 on board is the CEO of the company running it. He must've had a high degree of confidence in it.

... or suicidal tendencies. From reading tweets further down, the people who go on 'trips' like this tend to be high risk-taking adrenalin junkies, despite the fact that in this "craft" you'd only have seen the Titanic on a small screen if you were the front one of the 5 people on board. They'd have had a better view on a TV screen at home.

I'd think twice about going in a RN submarine, never mind that crate. But as another tweeter said "a bucket for a bucket list is quite apt" (or words to that effect, can't find it now).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 14:02 - Jun 20 with 1929 viewsthe_toff

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:56 - Jun 20 by Ryorry

... or suicidal tendencies. From reading tweets further down, the people who go on 'trips' like this tend to be high risk-taking adrenalin junkies, despite the fact that in this "craft" you'd only have seen the Titanic on a small screen if you were the front one of the 5 people on board. They'd have had a better view on a TV screen at home.

I'd think twice about going in a RN submarine, never mind that crate. But as another tweeter said "a bucket for a bucket list is quite apt" (or words to that effect, can't find it now).

Not sure about suicidal tendencies, but I'm sure they are adrenaline junkies. Adrenaline junkies with too much money. Perhaps its a consequence of having anything and everything you want in every day life, they then want everything you can't ordinarily have. Expeditions like this, Space travel etc which for the hedonistic super rich are probably attractive. I dare say they all got in fully expecting to safely return to the surface 8 hours later though. It's sad and a needless loss of life (presumably, they might yet be rescued but I think that's unlikely) but feels so pointless and avoidable.
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 14:19 - Jun 20 with 1886 viewsdavblue

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:32 - Jun 20 by tampa_bay

A few members of my wife’s family have been down there (my father-in-law lead the first three expeditions to find Titanic) and it’s never sounded appealing. My brother-in-law was on the news in the USA basically saying that, unfortunately, he doesn’t think there’s any chance of survival.

oh wow.

I would be a nervous wreck going down there, it wouldn't be enjoyable for me.
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:20 - Jun 20 with 1815 viewsblueasfook

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 13:56 - Jun 20 by Ryorry

Can I just say RN subs have an excellent safety record and we haven't lost one since 1951 (HMS Affray). If I was going to go underwater in a sub, I would want to be in a British one!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 15:21]

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:31 - Jun 20 with 1776 viewsnoggin

This seems to be a bigger news story than hundreds of migrants perishing off the coast of Greece.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:34 - Jun 20 with 1759 viewsblueasfook

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:31 - Jun 20 by noggin

This seems to be a bigger news story than hundreds of migrants perishing off the coast of Greece.

Contact the BBC and voice your disapproval about how they prioritise their news items.

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:35 - Jun 20 with 1757 viewsRyorry

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:31 - Jun 20 by noggin

That's unfair, the migrants in Greek waters has been in the news for several days with plenty of coverage in both msm & sm (in the UK anyway).
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 15:36]

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:36 - Jun 20 with 1749 viewsnoggin

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:34 - Jun 20 by blueasfook

Contact the BBC and voice your disapproval about how they prioritise their news items.

Please would you do it for me?

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:37 - Jun 20 with 1738 viewsblueasfook

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:36 - Jun 20 by noggin

Please would you do it for me?

Nope, I tend not to indulge in petty virtue signalling.

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:44 - Jun 20 with 1704 viewsnoggin

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:37 - Jun 20 by blueasfook

Nope, I tend not to indulge in petty virtue signalling.

I know what you mean.

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:46 - Jun 20 with 1707 viewsRyorry

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:20 - Jun 20 by blueasfook

Can I just say RN subs have an excellent safety record and we haven't lost one since 1951 (HMS Affray). If I was going to go underwater in a sub, I would want to be in a British one!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 15:21]

I know, hence if I wouldn't trust them ...

Underwater feeling like a sardine in a sealed can just isn't my thing (used to quite enjoy the freedom of sub-aqua tho).

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:46 - Jun 20 with 1701 viewsnoggin

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:35 - Jun 20 by Ryorry

That's unfair, the migrants in Greek waters has been in the news for several days with plenty of coverage in both msm & sm (in the UK anyway).
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 15:36]

This sub thing is non stop rolling news though.

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:54 - Jun 20 with 1683 viewsblueasfook

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:46 - Jun 20 by Ryorry

I know, hence if I wouldn't trust them ...

Underwater feeling like a sardine in a sealed can just isn't my thing (used to quite enjoy the freedom of sub-aqua tho).

I worked on building Trident submarines. And yes, very cramped - even the bigger boats, and I certainly wouldn't want to go to sea in one for 3 months at a time. Would drive me nuts. As a junior rating on board, you share a bunk space with 8 other guys.

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:57 - Jun 20 with 1665 viewsthebluewizzard

The following is off the BBC News Website:-

The BBC’s US partner CBS sent one of its reporters on a voyage with the same company last year to see the wreck of the Titanic.

David Pogue went on board the Titan submersible, operated by OceanGate, that is now the focus of a search and rescue effort in the North Atlantic.

In his report from last year, Pogue reads from what appears to be a waiver which describes the submersible as an “experimental” vessel, "that has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, disability, emotional trauma or death".
Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:59 - Jun 20 with 1656 viewsgiant_stow

Those people who a lost near the Titantic site on 15:46 - Jun 20 by noggin

This sub thing is non stop rolling news though.

I think it's because its got a bit of hollywood vibe about it - rich people exploring the most famous wreck ever. But having said that, I get what you mean - maybe just tune out - it sounds like they're almost certainly dead and I don;t want to wallow in that, so will take my own advice from here on.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024