Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… 08:01 - Sep 21 with 5015 viewsSitfcB

…or anyone else in winning form at the time of playing them.

D v Bristol City (A)
W v Sunderland (H) - probably the best result/hardest game.
W v Sheff Wed (A)
W v Swansea (H)
W v Stoke (A)
W v Plymouth (H)
W v Birmingham (H)

Saying that 6 wins in a row in the Championship is impressive.

They’ve got Rotherham next, which in their form should be an easy win for PNE.

After that West Brom (H)
Leicester (A)
Us (A)

Do they have the squad to maintain this good start, probably not, but that was said about Plymouth last season. PNE another team that has good togetherness and a good manager, although he tends to jump ship quickly if a better offer comes along.

I think they will be one those teams that start well but fade.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:23 - Sep 21 with 4223 viewsBlueRaider

Or are we destined to be frustrated by another unfancied team beginning with P ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:34 - Sep 21 with 4166 viewsSitfcB

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:23 - Sep 21 by BlueRaider

Or are we destined to be frustrated by another unfancied team beginning with P ?

What is it about us that when we do well a couple of other teams do well at the same time resulting in freak stats.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:38 - Sep 21 with 4113 viewsDaninthecampo

They've played 3 teams in the top half we've played 4 but our games do look harder on paper.
Apart from knowing their mangager and Keane playing for them don't know anything else about them, top 2 unlikely but could easily stay around the playoffs
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:17 - Sep 21 with 3978 viewshomer_123

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:34 - Sep 21 by SitfcB

What is it about us that when we do well a couple of other teams do well at the same time resulting in freak stats.

Makes our promotion this season all the more impressive.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:37 - Sep 21 with 3847 viewsSwansea_Blue

They had a reasonable season last year before tailing off at the end, so they’ve certainly got a run of results in them. Hard to see them sustaining this form though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:41 - Sep 21 with 3822 viewsFrimleyBlue

Just like us tho. You can only beat who you play.

If you break ours down like theirs. We played a young Sunderland. Dodgy qpr. Stoke full of new players etc etc

Its this next batch of 10 games that sets the season imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:43 - Sep 21 with 3820 views_clive_baker_

I think Preston are one of those sides that are pretty consistent and have stability which is valuable. They'll grind wins against a lot of sides, maybe fall short against the better quality. They're showing progression under Lowe, 13th then 12th last season, I think they'll beat that this season. I make them a good but unremarkable Championship side who will finish in the top 10 but perhaps not much more than that.

That said it's a bit early to know who is of note and who isn't really. The 3 relegated from the premier league are obvious contenders (of which we've played 2 and them none) but there's not much to go off yet. Someone said to me a couple of weeks ago that we've not played anyone in the top 6 yet, so not to get too excited. I had to remind them that having lost to us, it's going to be difficult for them to be in the top 6 at this stage when we're about 3 or 4 games in.

If we look back on our games now we've been to Sunderland away and won (who themselves have now got 4 wins and a draw from their last 5), Southampton away who while struggling, still have a lot of quality and scored 4 against Norwich recently, Leeds at home against an 85m 'front 4', Stoke who were well fancied before the season and beat Watford the week after we schooled them, Cardiff who are P2 W2 (Coventry and Swansea) since we beat them. I think it's been a relatively decent cross section of the Championship. Our next 4 are classic Championship opposition in Blackburn, Huddersfield away, Hull, Preston. That's about as reliable a Championship litmus test as you'll get I think. If we can take 7+ points then 25 points from 11 games would be an exceptional start for what is the best part of the first 1/4 of the season.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:48 - Sep 21 with 3777 viewslongtimefan

Unbeaten in first seven games in the Championship is fantastic, regardless of opposition. You can only beat the teams you play!
Login to get fewer ads

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:49 - Sep 21 with 3770 viewsJon_456

Your assessment of Ryan Lowe jumping ship quickly is rather harsh 😂

He’s only had 3 jobs with the last change being an absolute no brainer at a bigger club and closer to home.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:02 - Sep 21 with 3709 viewsHighgateBlue

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 08:38 - Sep 21 by Daninthecampo

They've played 3 teams in the top half we've played 4 but our games do look harder on paper.
Apart from knowing their mangager and Keane playing for them don't know anything else about them, top 2 unlikely but could easily stay around the playoffs

If you consider the table as at today's date, we've played 3 teams in the top half. We've played half of the bottom six.

There's an interesting stat at this site:
https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

"Opponent's PPG" - I'm not 100% certain what this captures - whether it's the PPG figure for opponent as at the time the sides met, or whether it's the PPG figure for the opponents faced, as at the date of the table. Either way, there's a very small sample size at present, and later in the season things will have evened out, so I see the limitations in it. But at present it seems to show that we've had the easiest set of fixtures of anyone, followed by Preston. Saints and Plymouth have had a tough start. I'd expect both of those to climb the league in any event.

I'm not necessarily drawing any conclusions from the above, or doom-mongering, it's just quite interesting to find clues as to what everyone's form is worth.

Taking a less data-driven approach, I guess you'd say that we've played high-flying Sunderland, and Leeds and Saints sides which are clearly better than their league positions at this early stage suggest. This is a notoriously difficult league in terms of "anyone can beat anyone", and I think six wins out of seven is remarkable regardless of opposition.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:15 - Sep 21 with 3634 viewsGuthrum

Funny how things work out. The team we arranged to play in pre-season (and lots of people said "meh") are now the early front runners. Coincidence, or a cunning plan?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:31 - Sep 21 with 3528 viewsChurchman

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:41 - Sep 21 by FrimleyBlue

If you break ours down like theirs. We played a young Sunderland. Dodgy qpr. Stoke full of new players etc etc

No, the first 10 games set your season. Preston: six wins and a draw? Fantastic start and it doesn’t matter who you play - that’s some going. The four games after Bristol Rovers last season were relatively ‘easy’, but in winning them the tone was set for the harder fixtures that followed.

The assumption by most including me was that Plymouth would fall away last season. They didn’t. Apart from squad depth and injuries, there is actually no reason why Preston shouldn’t continue their good form.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:33 - Sep 21 with 3516 viewsDinDjarin

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:02 - Sep 21 by HighgateBlue

If you consider the table as at today's date, we've played 3 teams in the top half. We've played half of the bottom six.

There's an interesting stat at this site:
https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

"Opponent's PPG" - I'm not 100% certain what this captures - whether it's the PPG figure for opponent as at the time the sides met, or whether it's the PPG figure for the opponents faced, as at the date of the table. Either way, there's a very small sample size at present, and later in the season things will have evened out, so I see the limitations in it. But at present it seems to show that we've had the easiest set of fixtures of anyone, followed by Preston. Saints and Plymouth have had a tough start. I'd expect both of those to climb the league in any event.

I'm not necessarily drawing any conclusions from the above, or doom-mongering, it's just quite interesting to find clues as to what everyone's form is worth.

Taking a less data-driven approach, I guess you'd say that we've played high-flying Sunderland, and Leeds and Saints sides which are clearly better than their league positions at this early stage suggest. This is a notoriously difficult league in terms of "anyone can beat anyone", and I think six wins out of seven is remarkable regardless of opposition.

I think the PPG is the average for opposition faced for your teams fixtures.

The fact ours is the lowest shows that we are shutting out other teams pretty well.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:49 - Sep 21 with 3465 viewsFrimleyBlue

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:31 - Sep 21 by Churchman

No, the first 10 games set your season. Preston: six wins and a draw? Fantastic start and it doesn’t matter who you play - that’s some going. The four games after Bristol Rovers last season were relatively ‘easy’, but in winning them the tone was set for the harder fixtures that followed.

The assumption by most including me was that Plymouth would fall away last season. They didn’t. Apart from squad depth and injuries, there is actually no reason why Preston shouldn’t continue their good form.

Yeah sorry. I've always looked more at the table after the 10th game of the season more I review it currently.

But I just meant where things are at the moment after the next 10 games the league will begin to takes its shape more or less.

Teams gelling. Some management changes probably by then etc.

Waka waka eh eh

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 11:55 - Sep 21 with 3306 viewsChurchman

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 10:49 - Sep 21 by FrimleyBlue

Yeah sorry. I've always looked more at the table after the 10th game of the season more I review it currently.

But I just meant where things are at the moment after the next 10 games the league will begin to takes its shape more or less.

Teams gelling. Some management changes probably by then etc.

You certainty don’t win anything in the first 10 games, but if you are going to go through a bad patch or fall away, better to do it from the top of the heap than further down.

If you are amongst the basement dwellers after 10 games, you have a major problem. Even an uptick in form leaves you just a few defeats from falling back in it. Some teams start poorly and rise spectacularly - we’ve done it ourselves in the dim and distant. But it’s not easy.

The interesting one is Middlesbrough. Not seen them, but I’m very surprised they’re at the bottom and apparently stinking the place out. Theirs could easily be the first management change. Wednesday? Already looking glum for them. Don’t fancy Rotherham’s chances either.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 13:42 - Sep 21 with 3102 viewsyorkshireblue

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:49 - Sep 21 by Jon_456

He’s only had 3 jobs with the last change being an absolute no brainer at a bigger club and closer to home.

I heard this week when he moved to Plymouth, his family stayed in the North West as his children were settled at school.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 13:46 - Sep 21 with 3048 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 11:55 - Sep 21 by Churchman

You certainty don’t win anything in the first 10 games, but if you are going to go through a bad patch or fall away, better to do it from the top of the heap than further down.

If you are amongst the basement dwellers after 10 games, you have a major problem. Even an uptick in form leaves you just a few defeats from falling back in it. Some teams start poorly and rise spectacularly - we’ve done it ourselves in the dim and distant. But it’s not easy.

The interesting one is Middlesbrough. Not seen them, but I’m very surprised they’re at the bottom and apparently stinking the place out. Theirs could easily be the first management change. Wednesday? Already looking glum for them. Don’t fancy Rotherham’s chances either.

Weird one for Carrick. He has lost loads of top players who got them to the play offs. But equally, they look terrible.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 15:28 - Sep 21 with 2816 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Not particularly relevant but I remember going to Preston on new years day, probably 25 years ago (or more) we were on the back of a great run and got hammered 5-1 (I think we scored 1) TWTD!
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 15:41 - Sep 21 with 2775 viewsHerbivore

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:41 - Sep 21 by FrimleyBlue

Have Sunderland aged several years since the start of August?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 16:01 - Sep 21 with 2698 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I disagree, Sheffield Wednesday are the only really bad side in that lump. The rest are fairly decent. I would be happy with that run of results!
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 16:24 - Sep 21 with 2623 viewsFrimleyBlue

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 15:41 - Sep 21 by Herbivore

Have Sunderland aged several years since the start of August?

Without looking at them no idea. Just know that when we played the media mentioned the young side Sunderland had put out.

Obviously it's the same for everyone if that's been the case since... but based on our game with them at the time they were seen as young. ( with some seniors on bench)

Waka waka eh eh

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 16:42 - Sep 21 with 2567 viewsSamWhiteUK

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 13:46 - Sep 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

Weird one for Carrick. He has lost loads of top players who got them to the play offs. But equally, they look terrible.

Middlesbrough seem to alternate seasons between being pretty good and being bang average (or in this case, cack). Very odd team.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 16:50 - Sep 21 with 2538 viewsVaughan8

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 09:49 - Sep 21 by Jon_456

And he left Bury for Plymouth presumably he knew they were going to go under at that point.
Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 17:02 - Sep 21 with 2509 viewsHerbivore

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 16:01 - Sep 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I disagree, Sheffield Wednesday are the only really bad side in that lump. The rest are fairly decent. I would be happy with that run of results!

Especially after last night's defeat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 17:35 - Sep 21 with 2436 viewsgainsboroughblue

Preston haven’t really played anyone of note… on 15:28 - Sep 21 by dusseldorf_blue

Not particularly relevant but I remember going to Preston on new years day, probably 25 years ago (or more) we were on the back of a great run and got hammered 5-1 (I think we scored 1) TWTD!

I think you're referring to NYD 1990 when we lost 5-0 at Port Vale. We'd gone 13 or thereabouts unbeaten up to that point. It's been largely explained since that most of the players were feeling the effects of over indulging the night before. It was a bloody miserable day though, not helped by a huge backlog on the M6 on the way back.

All was forgiven a few days later as we went to Leeds in the Cup and won.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024