Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagine if we could defend! 09:26 - Oct 1 with 6897 viewsWallingford_Boy

How good we’d be!

Obviously we’ve paid big cash for Tuanzebe to not just sit on the bench, but who does he replace?

Burgess for me.

Williams in for Clarke too.

RIP Sir Bobby

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:33 - Oct 1 with 4422 viewsWestcountryblue

Eventually, i see Tuanzebe and Williams playing in the back 4.
Burgess has been great and will continue to be a big asset to the team. His ability the air would be useful off the bench defending leads late on in games.
Same with Hutchinson, i can see Burns losing his place in the next few months.
Imagine if we could defend! on 09:40 - Oct 1 with 4386 viewsthatbdude

Defence is definitely our biggest weakest ATM. I like Burgess but I could tell he would struggle in this league

Poll: Who going down?

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:50 - Oct 1 with 4337 viewsblueislander

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:40 - Oct 1 by thatbdude

Defence is definitely our biggest weakest ATM. I like Burgess but I could tell he would struggle in this league

Has Burgess struggled so far?
Imagine if we could defend! on 09:53 - Oct 1 with 4315 viewsHerbivore

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:50 - Oct 1 by blueislander

Not really, no.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:58 - Oct 1 with 4296 viewsDubtractor

We've only let in 2 goals in 5 away games - not exactly bad defending!

Obviously we're a bit gung ho in our tactics at home, but we've got the goalscoring as well as the goals conceded as a result.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 15:45]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:04 - Oct 1 with 4273 viewsGuthrum

I think we're likely to see a bit of game-by-game rotation, depending upon the opposition's strengths. Including Baggott in the mix as he matures.

Equally, I could be wrong and Tuanzebe might be this season's Luongo - player with a poor injury record who transforms into a rock for ITFC.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:13 - Oct 1 with 4229 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How much is the "big cash" we have paid out for Tuanzebe. That said, I do expect him to start when available to.

Much as defence has been identified as a weakness further up this thread, we have kept a clean sheet in 4 out of 9 league matches. Leeds scored 3 goals against us in a poor 10 minute spell. We have conceded more than one goal in 3 out of our 9 matches.

It will be interesting to see who Tuanzebe replaces. Time will tell but the decision could easily be made by injury at the time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:19 - Oct 1 with 4189 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:13 - Oct 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

How much is the "big cash" we have paid out for Tuanzebe. That said, I do expect him to start when available to.

Much as defence has been identified as a weakness further up this thread, we have kept a clean sheet in 4 out of 9 league matches. Leeds scored 3 goals against us in a poor 10 minute spell. We have conceded more than one goal in 3 out of our 9 matches.

It will be interesting to see who Tuanzebe replaces. Time will tell but the decision could easily be made by injury at the time.

"How much is the "big cash" we have paid out for Tuanzebe."

Thought the same thing, but assumed the OP was talking about wages, especially as he was unable to agree a deal with Premier League Luton.

That being said, Luton could have been offering him a pay as you play type deal for all I know.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:19 - Oct 1 with 4192 viewsdavblue

I feel like Clarke is the weakest link in the defence so far. It feels like we have conceded more from the right than the left but I don’t have anything to back that up with facts, so it’s probably incorrect!

He’s a work in progress still. Burgess has been fine, can we improve on him yeah we can if we can get Axel fit he could be a big upgrade.

I thought we were loose in both full back positions against Blackburn we do need to tighten up at the back going forward.
Imagine if we could defend! on 10:26 - Oct 1 with 4162 viewsArnieM

He’s a right sided CB ( looking at all the videos of him) so I’d say that makes Woolfies place at potential risk. Axel is very good in the air, and excellent at bringing the ball out. It’ll be interesting to see how McKenna wants to play him.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:26 - Oct 1 with 4163 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:19 - Oct 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

"How much is the "big cash" we have paid out for Tuanzebe."

Thought the same thing, but assumed the OP was talking about wages, especially as he was unable to agree a deal with Premier League Luton.

That being said, Luton could have been offering him a pay as you play type deal for all I know.

We have no idea what Luton were offering. I also feel it is quite possible we could have offered a package that appealed to resurrect his career and had a significantly lower initial salary. I am sure Luton would have included relegation clauses (assuming it was more than a year) and we would include a promotion clause.

It is also clear that his pedigree is such he will play if fit. Would Luton have definitely played him?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:30 - Oct 1 with 4141 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:26 - Oct 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

We have no idea what Luton were offering. I also feel it is quite possible we could have offered a package that appealed to resurrect his career and had a significantly lower initial salary. I am sure Luton would have included relegation clauses (assuming it was more than a year) and we would include a promotion clause.

It is also clear that his pedigree is such he will play if fit. Would Luton have definitely played him?

No idea if Luton would have played him, probably given the goals they are conceding. Equally, given how well we are going, none of our summer signings are exactly getting masses of game time (excluding Hirst).

But, I take your point.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:31 - Oct 1 with 4135 viewsthatbdude

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:50 - Oct 1 by blueislander

Well yes and no. Clarke is definitely struggling more so I will take back my statement earlier and apologise

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:32 - Oct 1 with 4128 viewsbournemouthblue

I do think yesterday's game was his kryptonite, you don't want him left in a running race with a winger with no cover

Huddersfield were good at kicking the ball into channels when we were pushed up the pitch, they exploited that really well

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:36 - Oct 1 with 4085 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Outside Leicester we have one of the best defences in the division. What are you talking about?!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:40 - Oct 1 with 4058 viewsWhos_blue

I do struggle a bit with these bold statements.
Our defensive record holds up against most others in the division.
To infer we can't defend just isn't backed up by facts.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:42 - Oct 1 with 4046 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Struggled so much he was called up by Australia! Do some people who comment actually watch games?
Imagine if we could defend! on 10:56 - Oct 1 with 3960 viewsthatbdude

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:42 - Oct 1 by benrhyddingblue

Struggled so much he was called up by Australia! Do some people who comment actually watch games?

Yes I can confirm I watch games

Imagine if we could defend! on 11:04 - Oct 1 with 3909 viewsBigCommon

KM uses the word "bravery" a lot, in terms of describing how we try to play... He is clearly touching on us taking measured risks to get the rewards... I absolutely love this mindset. Yes, we will sometimes leave ourselves exposed , where players like Clarke, Wolfy, Burgess and even Leif can be overrun at times. And lets not forget, the step up in the standard of attackers we are facing is huge compared to L1 in this division.. So any defender, in any team can be made to look a "Charlie" at times..

Have we paid "big cash" for Tuanzebe? Came here on a free. And you'd like to think that we've been careful with a contract for a player with his injury record. Especially given how some of last seasons last ditch signings turned out...

KM is renowned as being one of the best defensive coaches out there. If you listen to Ole's interviews on him. So Im quite sure he could set us up a lot more defensively if our remit was to just hang around mid/bottom table nicking 0-0 and 1-0 results.. Something we might see at some point, if we find ourselves in a positiion where we are protecting a points lead, or if we got promoted and our remit was to hang in there and just stay up..

We've been told "we are going to attack this division", and "we are going to be brave". Its going to expose us defensively at times. No matter who plays.. So, imo, focus is on our forwards to get something. Which they are doing, as we are yet to blank and we're sitting top , amongst the divisions highest scorers.
For the record, imo, for out and out backs to the wall defending. I think Burgess is our stand out defender. And hes got the plaudits in most of our tight away matches to back that up. Hladky. too, has earned his corn.
Imagine if we could defend! on 11:09 - Oct 1 with 3886 viewsBlueBadger

'ArnieM tribute act' wasn't the next TWTD trolling trend I'd predicted, got to be say.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Imagine if we could defend! on 11:12 - Oct 1 with 3836 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't say I feel either cbs struggle.

Any issues we've had really have come from the sides. Which KM has said at times he aims to stop teams through the middle and invite them wide..

This for me shows there is something missing here occasionally. And perhaps why we indeed saw williams come on for clarke.

Yesterday neither burns or hutchinson were offering much cover to the fullbacks. This didn't help. For hutchinson is was harder as he was roaming everywhere playing the broady role.

What is key is that midfielder who's covering the defence.

Whilst morsy has been excellent if you look back at some conceded goals his contribution in those has been obvious where he's stood off a player and enabled them to hurt us.

Yesterday Evans was pretty much unfortunately involved in 80% of Huddersfield shots at goal. Just watched the highlights again and literally in all the huddersfield highlights Evans has struggled to actually close the man down. Offered them onto their stronger foot to get shots off etc.

So no I don't agree our issue is defence itself. When the midfield is on it.. we minimise the potential to concede but when it's not we've seen how easy it is to gets shots in at our goal.

What will be interesting is Walton v hladky.
I don't personally feel Walton saves maybe 3 of those shots Yesterday. Hladky imo Is more agile.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Imagine if we could defend! on 11:38 - Oct 1 with 3767 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 11:12 - Oct 1 by FrimleyBlue

Can't say I feel either cbs struggle.

Any issues we've had really have come from the sides. Which KM has said at times he aims to stop teams through the middle and invite them wide..

This for me shows there is something missing here occasionally. And perhaps why we indeed saw williams come on for clarke.

Yesterday neither burns or hutchinson were offering much cover to the fullbacks. This didn't help. For hutchinson is was harder as he was roaming everywhere playing the broady role.

What is key is that midfielder who's covering the defence.

Whilst morsy has been excellent if you look back at some conceded goals his contribution in those has been obvious where he's stood off a player and enabled them to hurt us.

Yesterday Evans was pretty much unfortunately involved in 80% of Huddersfield shots at goal. Just watched the highlights again and literally in all the huddersfield highlights Evans has struggled to actually close the man down. Offered them onto their stronger foot to get shots off etc.

So no I don't agree our issue is defence itself. When the midfield is on it.. we minimise the potential to concede but when it's not we've seen how easy it is to gets shots in at our goal.

What will be interesting is Walton v hladky.
I don't personally feel Walton saves maybe 3 of those shots Yesterday. Hladky imo Is more agile.

As you say the issue is down the flanks and I don’t see that changing given that a lot of our attack is based on the FBs bombing forward. They will inevitably leave gaps.

I wonder whether we’ll end up playing 3CBs to accommodate Tuanzebe.

Poll: Our final position

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:39 - Oct 1 with 3592 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s outrageous we don’t keep a clean sheet every game.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:51 - Oct 1 with 3558 viewsChurchman

Our goals against is better than the majority of the Championship to date. Could it be better? Of course. But so could every aspect of our game in theory.

I’ve no doubt KM and co are working on it, particularly Clarke’s side where at PR teams have got some counter attack joy.

On the subject and thinking of the goals at home we have conceded, more than one have been excellent goals. I doubt many teams could have stopped two of Blackburn’s three. One of two Leeds goals were excellent and Ramsey’s for Cardiff was good too.

Sometimes you have to accept the opposition have the right to do stuff well, especially given the Championship is less forgiving than L1. We are doing well, regardless of Leicester’s result and hopefully we will improve too.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 18:46]
Imagine if we could defend! on 14:09 - Oct 1 with 3458 viewsDavoIPB

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:26 - Oct 1 by ArnieM

He’s a right sided CB ( looking at all the videos of him) so I’d say that makes Woolfies place at potential risk. Axel is very good in the air, and excellent at bringing the ball out. It’ll be interesting to see how McKenna wants to play him.

I would say woolfie. His positional play has been really poor this season. Burgess covers Davis if he goes forward but woolfie does not do the same. Woolfie gets muscled off the ball as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024