Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? 18:29 - Jan 23 with 4168 viewsAsa

27 goals last season was it? Been banging them in this season.

One of my absolutely favourite players. Love the guy. But probably his worst 5 of his worst 10 games for Town have come in the last half a dozen.

Thought he was very poor against Norwich and he's not improved since. With Hutchison, Broadhead, Sarmiento all able to potentially play that role, the goals having dried up, Sunderland aside which I hoped would give him a bit more confidence, and Chaplin doing very little to contribute to games at all it was a surprise to see him made captain recently.

I did wonder if it was of getting him to lift his game but hasn't worked out that way. Really do hope he finds his form again soon, but there's definitely a merit in saying he surely doesn't walk in the team now and is at risk of being replaced in the XI if he doesn't improve shortly.

[Post edited 23 Jan 18:31]
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:32 - Jan 23 with 3380 viewsFrimleyBlue

Just the mid-season chappers dip. He himself said he has them then he'll go on another run of banging goals in.

Don't forget too. He's lost a big part of his game in hirst and his parter hasn't been great the last month either.

He may find himself under pressure yes. But he can score goals from nowhere.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:33 - Jan 23 with 3373 viewsJ2BLUE

Play him as a striker in the cup.

He's so quick getting a shot away.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:34 - Jan 23 with 3364 viewsNutkins_Return

Don't think so. I think we might see him being more preferred to coming off then others like last night for us.

He wasn't having a great night against Sunderland and I suggested McKenna might take him off. Then he scored and did an outrageous turn away from two defenders.

Chaplin doesn't run football matches. He's a bit of a big moments man. Creating or scoring.

Still massive for us.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:34 - Jan 23 with 3352 viewsAsa

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:32 - Jan 23 by FrimleyBlue

Just the mid-season chappers dip. He himself said he has them then he'll go on another run of banging goals in.

Don't forget too. He's lost a big part of his game in hirst and his parter hasn't been great the last month either.

He may find himself under pressure yes. But he can score goals from nowhere.

The Hirst thing is what makes me worry that he might not hold down the 10 role.

Hirst occupying those defenders is what helps Chaplin have that space. Without him that 10 role may change slightly.

McKenna has no qualms in leaving Broadhead out of the side when he's been banging them in as well. Do wonder if Chaplin might be under threat if he doesn't pick things up soon.

When the goals have dried up across the side (relatively speaking), it's not the time for carrying anyone trying to play out a slump.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:55 - Jan 23 with 3124 viewsGlasgowBlue

First name on the team sheet. Although I thought Hutchinson brought something different to the number 10 role last night when he came on. Pressed their central defenders with incredible energy.

Start with Chaplin but certainly bring in Hutchinson far earlier if thing aren't working out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:56 - Jan 23 with 3120 viewshomer_123

Basically, he's not being given the space to work in as he was in L1 or at the start of the season.

That's a good thing though. Teams are doubling up on him quite often, which leaves others free. As part of his development, he needs to now improve his ability to find that space when there isn't quite as much to work in.

No need to drop/rest him yet.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:58 - Jan 23 with 3085 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:56 - Jan 23 by homer_123

Basically, he's not being given the space to work in as he was in L1 or at the start of the season.

That's a good thing though. Teams are doubling up on him quite often, which leaves others free. As part of his development, he needs to now improve his ability to find that space when there isn't quite as much to work in.

No need to drop/rest him yet.

He is desperately missing George Hirst.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:59 - Jan 23 with 3073 viewshomer_123

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:58 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

He is desperately missing George Hirst.

Yes, there is that GB. Jackson is a different type of player and not as easy for Chappers to work off.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:03 - Jan 23 with 3019 viewshatch

Doesn't seem miles off the pace for me and it has coincided with a 'dip' in our form too.

Interesting his response to the first half lay off yesterday when he shot it over the bar left foot - seemed angry at [Harness?] for not taking the shot on himself and passing it to Chaplin.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:04 - Jan 23 with 2988 viewsMK1

Nah, the guy can make the difference. He has earnt the right to go off the boil for a while, but he will come good.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:05 - Jan 23 with 2980 viewsGuthrum

Two of those games he was missing his best feed assistant (particularly around set pieces). Davis comes back and between them they manufacture a winning goal against Sunderland. Three others were against two of the best teams in the division, the most capable at keeping him quiet.

The other thing which needs looking at is how many opposition players he's occupying simply by being on the pitch. Teams know he's a main threat and will be concentrating on marking Chaplin out of the game - but that leaves space elsewhere.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:21 - Jan 23 with 2831 viewsWeirdFishes

Personally I’d still be starting him despite a bit of a dip, although I do think there is logic in bringing someone in for him just so he knows he’s not undroppable.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:24 - Jan 23 with 2787 viewsJimmy86

To me, Broadhead has been far worse than Chappers has been and for a longer period of time! He's been off it for some while now Broady!

Harness deserved his chance against Leicester last night to be fair...
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:50 - Jan 23 with 2647 viewsJrm_72

I'm sure it's been said before on here about someone else, as fans we tend to overlook/underestimate the impact a newborn at home can have on players.

It was bad enough for me with my eldest needing to feed every 90mins and then going to sit in an office, let alone playing elite sport!
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:55 - Jan 23 with 2615 viewsSarge

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:03 - Jan 23 by hatch

Doesn't seem miles off the pace for me and it has coincided with a 'dip' in our form too.

Interesting his response to the first half lay off yesterday when he shot it over the bar left foot - seemed angry at [Harness?] for not taking the shot on himself and passing it to Chaplin.

He was angry because the pass came at him too hard and too high. You could see him mouthing ‘soft’ to Harness
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:00 - Jan 23 with 2578 viewsolimar

Hes got 9 league goals and I think pretty much the same for assists, which is pretty good at just past the halfway point.
He scores/performs in patches and he was red hot during the last 2 months of last season, but not so much before then. He will come into form again soon. As others have said, some of that downturn might be due to the changes in personnel and the general dip of the rest of the team too.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:03 - Jan 23 with 2529 viewsTractorWood

He has that something special to score from nothing and is naturally so talented.

He has tended to drift in and out of games throughout his time here. Nothing to see here imo.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:04 - Jan 23 with 2515 viewsgosblue

If you watch him you’ll see that his role has changed recently. He has become more of a box to box player. Same goes for Broadhead. It means that our formation is more fluid but at the expense of getting on the end of fewer chances. If your talking just about his finishing, then I would agree with you. But to drop one of our fittest, most forward thinking players and replace him with someone unproven over 70 - 90 minutes might not be the best move but it’s not a bad call for the cup game.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:15 - Jan 23 with 2417 viewspointofblue

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:34 - Jan 23 by Asa

The Hirst thing is what makes me worry that he might not hold down the 10 role.

Hirst occupying those defenders is what helps Chaplin have that space. Without him that 10 role may change slightly.

McKenna has no qualms in leaving Broadhead out of the side when he's been banging them in as well. Do wonder if Chaplin might be under threat if he doesn't pick things up soon.

When the goals have dried up across the side (relatively speaking), it's not the time for carrying anyone trying to play out a slump.

If we manage to bring in someone similar to Hirst, Chaplin will be brought back into play. If we have to change our style slightly, it may see a change at 10.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 20:28 - Jan 23 with 2308 viewsReusersTown

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 19:03 - Jan 23 by hatch

Nah he was definitely angry at the quality of the cutback, saying the weight needed to be softer.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:16 - Jan 23 with 2090 viewsSharkey

What a civilized conversation this one is! No downvotes , just reasoned opinions. Chaplin brings out the best in twtd.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:18 - Jan 23 with 2073 viewsDyland

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:16 - Jan 23 by Sharkey

What a civilized conversation this one is! No downvotes , just reasoned opinions. Chaplin brings out the best in twtd.

SUC

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:21 - Jan 23 with 2043 viewstextbackup

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 18:59 - Jan 23 by homer_123

Yes, there is that GB. Jackson is a different type of player and not as easy for Chappers to work off.

That was clear to see when jackson pulled it back to him yesterday, ball bobbling all over the place from a sht jackson lay off, and CC skied it… you could see the look as if to say ‘just be a better player’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 2043 viewsFtnfwest

Was mulling this earlier and came to the conclusion that we play hutch there for a couple of games while we’ve got him. If nothing else it’ll focus chaplins mind a bit and if it has a similar effect as edmuundson and Clarke when they’ve been out for a bit, in that they’ve fought like hell to stay in when given their chance again, then it can only be a good thing. All players are different of course and managers have to learn how to handle them. I’d love to have seen McKenna manage Pablo for instance. His record was unbelievable when starting but barely a goal if any in many sub appearances. He’d give you everything if you valued him but needed that faith in terms of being started. Other players would react in generally a good way to being dropped.
Is there a conversation to be had regarding Chaplin not starting now? on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 2036 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He literally scored the winner last week….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024