Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives 08:03 - Jan 28 with 6372 viewsitfcjoe

No midweek replay (see Leeds having to go down to Plymouth)

No midweek 5th round tie to schedule

Hopefully the players can take it as the freak result that it was, if that game plays out like it did another 100 times you wouldn’t lose. Totally embarrassing to do so, but less so than Lincoln, Barrow etc where we totally deserved to lose even if the result yesterday was worse.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Positives on 08:08 - Jan 28 with 3330 viewstextbackup

I’ve slept on it… and I’m still as upset.

Probably more because this lot (players & KM) have been so great but will have this over them forever.

I read yesterday people saying a win Saturday and this is forgotten, no it isn’t. It’s going to be brought up forever, Wrexham beating Arsenal is spoken about every single year, etc etc…

I can’t see beyond this causing a long drawn out hangover for a long time

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Positives on 08:10 - Jan 28 with 3320 viewsDubtractor

We probably won't see Ball start for us again?

Sorry, I know that singling players out isn't the done thing, but I think he is a really limited player and we look a lesser team when he plays.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Positives on 08:11 - Jan 28 with 3319 viewsitfcjoe

Positives on 08:08 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Probably more because this lot (players & KM) have been so great but will have this over them forever.

I read yesterday people saying a win Saturday and this is forgotten, no it isn’t. It’s going to be brought up forever, Wrexham beating Arsenal is spoken about every single year, etc etc…

It almost felt laughable at the end how absurd it all was, my eldest was bawling his eyes out in car home so I had to be responsible rather than feed it!

I back this team to bounce back, especially because Morsy was on the pitch for 90 mins, he won’t allow that to happen again even if it was a freak. I sense a long winning run to follow it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Positives on 08:16 - Jan 28 with 3263 viewsHerbivore

Every time we lose people say it'll cause a wobble but we've always bounced back. We're unbeaten in the league since the humbling defeat against Leeds, we went about 12 unbeaten after our first loss and won four on the bounce after the West Brom defeat. This squad is very resilient and they'll be frustrated and disappointed after yesterday but they'll bounce back a lot quicker than the fans seem capable of doing.

We aren't the first Championship side to lose to a non league team and we won't be the last. How many second tier sides losing to non league sides get mentioned every year? The ones that get brought up over decades all involved top flight sides being upset by minnows. We might think we're a big deal but most of the rest of the country doesn't. It'll be the story of this year's cup, will probably get mentioned next year, then it'll fizzle out. And if we go up, none of us should give a toss that we were on the end of a somewhat freak cup upset.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Positives on 08:16 - Jan 28 with 3249 viewstextbackup

Positives on 08:10 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

We probably won't see Ball start for us again?

Sorry, I know that singling players out isn't the done thing, but I think he is a really limited player and we look a lesser team when he plays.

Whilst that’s true, the issue was with the 38 shots we failed to score.

Burns wild sacks across goal, he awful chip to the dugout, broadbean playing like he’s never kicked a ball before… big players that let us and themselves down massively

Positives on 08:17 - Jan 28 with 3238 viewsPinewoodblue

While the reaction to Lincoln, Barrow etc was one of anger yesterday think people were too stunned to feel angry.

Looking back at those previous games not really sure some of our then players hurt enough, just shrugged shoulders etc. Can’t see our current squad, and Manager, doing anything other than trying their hardest to make amends.

It really was a freak result, it wasn’t a poor performance although it did highlight our deficiencies . Not just the need for striker(s) but centre backs who can contribute to the goals at corners etc.

Neither Edmundson, nor Burgess, deliver.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Positives on 08:17 - Jan 28 with 3244 viewsDubtractor

Chorley, from the National league North, beat Derby (in the Championship) in 2020-21. No one remembers that do they?

Sutton Utd (then a non league team) beat Leeds in 2016/17. No one remembers that.

I only know those games as I've just looked them up.

That Arsenal game is remembered as they were perennial title challengers.

Yesterday was sh1t, and it will sting for a bit, but it'll be forgotten very quickly by everyone apart from us and Maidstone.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Positives on 08:23 - Jan 28 with 3203 viewsMenton

I don’t think it reflects too badly on us. These things happen occasionally and it’s why the cup still has interest. I don’t think many of us would trade a single league point to win that game. One of those things and as long as it doesn’t affect our league form it will be forgotten about much more quickly than you think.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

Positives on 08:25 - Jan 28 with 3172 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Hasn’t sunk in for me yet tbh. Really hope we haven’t just done something that knocks us more broadly.

Some of those players - my god. I really thought the days like that had gone. It all started so routinely too, as you’d expect, but the longer we didn’t score it seemed inevitable that they would break away. The goals were well taken but pathetic defending. And the finishing in parts was just as ridiculous. No hiding from that for those of us that have to walk into work tomorrow morning.

Also had my son crying at the end. Legged it out so he wouldn’t be that kid on the tv cameras for years to come!
Positives on 08:26 - Jan 28 with 3157 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Positives on 08:17 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

Chorley, from the National league North, beat Derby (in the Championship) in 2020-21. No one remembers that do they?

Sutton Utd (then a non league team) beat Leeds in 2016/17. No one remembers that.

Yesterday was sh1t, and it will sting for a bit, but it'll be forgotten very quickly by everyone apart from us and Maidstone.

That has made me feel marginally better actually. Thank you.
Positives on 08:27 - Jan 28 with 3137 viewstextbackup

Positives on 08:16 - Jan 28 by Herbivore

Every time we lose people say it'll cause a wobble but we've always bounced back. We're unbeaten in the league since the humbling defeat against Leeds, we went about 12 unbeaten after our first loss and won four on the bounce after the West Brom defeat. This squad is very resilient and they'll be frustrated and disappointed after yesterday but they'll bounce back a lot quicker than the fans seem capable of doing.

We aren't the first Championship side to lose to a non league team and we won't be the last. How many second tier sides losing to non league sides get mentioned every year? The ones that get brought up over decades all involved top flight sides being upset by minnows. We might think we're a big deal but most of the rest of the country doesn't. It'll be the story of this year's cup, will probably get mentioned next year, then it'll fizzle out. And if we go up, none of us should give a toss that we were on the end of a somewhat freak cup upset.

I want to believe you.

But you also said the other day RE norwich at home ‘9/10 win we that game’ 6 weeks later the exact situation arises, but this time against a pub team.

Positives on 08:29 - Jan 28 with 3112 viewstextbackup

Positives on 08:23 - Jan 28 by Menton

I don’t think it reflects too badly on us. These things happen occasionally and it’s why the cup still has interest. I don’t think many of us would trade a single league point to win that game. One of those things and as long as it doesn’t affect our league form it will be forgotten about much more quickly than you think.

I hope you’re right

Positives on 08:31 - Jan 28 with 3097 viewsPinewoodblue

Positives on 08:26 - Jan 28 by PrideOfTheEast

That has made me feel marginally better actually. Thank you.

The one older (45+) Town fans remember is Wrexham away mid 90’s. Burley’s first cup game as Manager.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Positives on 08:34 - Jan 28 with 3034 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 08:27 - Jan 28 by textbackup

I want to believe you.

But you also said the other day RE norwich at home ‘9/10 win we that game’ 6 weeks later the exact situation arises, but this time against a pub team.

I stand by that and it doesn't diminish that yesterday was a bit of a freak. They had two shots the entire game and scored them both, we hit the woodwork three times, missed countless chances, and with a capable ref they don't get their second goal and we get a penalty. A lot of stars had to align for them to pull off that win, as Joe mentions in his OP, and they all happened to align yesterday. It happens. It'll happen again at some point. If you can't cope with that, football might not be the game for you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Positives on 08:35 - Jan 28 with 3018 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Positives on 08:31 - Jan 28 by Pinewoodblue

The one older (45+) Town fans remember is Wrexham away mid 90’s. Burley’s first cup game as Manager.

I remember that one too although was young at the time. Came around the same time we lost 9-0 at Man Utd didn’t it which made it difficult to be a non-Suffolk based town fan. I recall being on a family holiday in Florida that summer, wearing a shirt every day and even the yanks in restaurants took the p1ss, albeit about the 9-0 I suppose.
Positives on 08:37 - Jan 28 with 2999 viewstextbackup

Positives on 08:34 - Jan 28 by Herbivore

I stand by that and it doesn't diminish that yesterday was a bit of a freak. They had two shots the entire game and scored them both, we hit the woodwork three times, missed countless chances, and with a capable ref they don't get their second goal and we get a penalty. A lot of stars had to align for them to pull off that win, as Joe mentions in his OP, and they all happened to align yesterday. It happens. It'll happen again at some point. If you can't cope with that, football might not be the game for you.

HAHAHAHAH that fcking line kills me when people say it to try and put others down
‘If you can’t cope with that, maybe football isn’t for you’
30 odd years, I think I’ve got the gist of how the sport works.

So many ifs and buts in there, the king and short, we defended like tw.ats and our shooting was weak as piss. Massive week ahead to prove that was ‘one of those things’
[Post edited 28 Jan 8:39]

Positives on 08:39 - Jan 28 with 2978 viewsMullet

I think all of these are true and ultimately it's all about how maturely you respond to these things. It also shows how some things are beyond the manager's control.

The lack of consistency from people is far worse, as this is probably the worst example in terms of league positions and how wasteful players were etc. We've been incredible this season so to see so many squad players undercooked and regulars off it, makes it hard to be objective.

I'd take promotion every time over the cup, because it does far more good for the club.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Positives on 08:39 - Jan 28 with 2978 viewsEdwardStone

Positives on 08:27 - Jan 28 by textbackup

I want to believe you.

I didn't think that they looked like a pub team

I was suprised how athletic they looked and how well they played, especially their keeper.

Not just a team of your local butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

As well as the Maidstone fans, the BBC managers must be delighted at the result....it justifies their trip to Portman Road and keeps the old "Magic of the F A Cup" trope alive
Positives on 08:39 - Jan 28 with 2970 viewsWallingford_Boy

I kind of get what you’re saying, but this feels 100 times worse than Lincoln and barrow.

The fact they are so low down the ladder and offered so little bar two shots makes it so much worse.

How we couldn’t score more than once is truly embarrassing, the best forward on the pitch was Reynolds!

RIP Sir Bobby

Positives on 08:42 - Jan 28 with 2926 viewsMullet

Positives on 08:35 - Jan 28 by PrideOfTheEast

I remember that one too although was young at the time. Came around the same time we lost 9-0 at Man Utd didn’t it which made it difficult to be a non-Suffolk based town fan. I recall being on a family holiday in Florida that summer, wearing a shirt every day and even the yanks in restaurants took the p1ss, albeit about the 9-0 I suppose.

8-0 - I refuse to recognise Ince's goal and so should humanity.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Positives on 08:43 - Jan 28 with 2912 viewsJimmy86

My take on yesterday, for what it's worth, is that unlike the Lincoln debacle, the performance was actually pretty decent... At times in the first half yesterday we were toying with them.. we hit both posts and the crossbar... Their keeper had the game of his life and made countless saves... They had 2 shots and scored 2 goals... Yes, it happens in football BUT and here's the BUT... despite all that and the magic of the cup etc. it's still embarrassing to be dumped out by a non league team, when we're challenging for automatic promotion to the premier league... You can't dress it up any different than that..
Positives on 08:45 - Jan 28 with 2841 viewstextbackup

Positives on 08:39 - Jan 28 by EdwardStone

I didn't think that they looked like a pub team

I was suprised how athletic they looked and how well they played, especially their keeper.

Not just a team of your local butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

As well as the Maidstone fans, the BBC managers must be delighted at the result....it justifies their trip to Portman Road and keeps the old "Magic of the F A Cup" trope alive

Three cheers for Maidstone and the BBC managers…

Hip hip…

(This fanbase ffs)

Positives on 08:45 - Jan 28 with 2844 viewsBseaBlue

Positives on 08:39 - Jan 28 by Wallingford_Boy

I kind of get what you’re saying, but this feels 100 times worse than Lincoln and barrow.

The fact they are so low down the ladder and offered so little bar two shots makes it so much worse.

How we couldn’t score more than once is truly embarrassing, the best forward on the pitch was Reynolds!

Take into consideration the amount of times we hit the woodwork, plus the keeper saves and it isn't as bad as some have made out. Not forgetting the foul in the build up to their goal and the penalty we should have had.

Unfortunately luck does come into football sometimes and it wasn't on our side yesterday.

I know it won't be popular but I'd rather have lost yesterday than got the draw and had the replay! We have a huge opportunity now to shape the future of the club. Realistically, going one or two rounds further in the FA cup won't do that!
Positives on 08:48 - Jan 28 with 2814 viewstonybied

Positives on 08:17 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

This is it at the end of the day isn't it? In the grand scheme of things it makes barely any difference to our season as long as the players manage to compartmentalize it and move on, which we know is the mantra of McKennas team anyway. In one way it could be an advantage that some of our rivals are playing these extra games, extra fatigue, more chance of injury/suspension etc. We can just focus on the league without any distractions.

The game was a freak of nature, all the fine margins went against us and that is why people love the FA cup. A chance for David to beat Goliath, rarely it happens but we just happen to be on the end of it one of the times it has. It says more that we're being seen as a Goliath again to me. If this happened last season it wouldn't been barely been mentioned by the media but our season so far makes it, and us much more relevant.

There a lot of pissy knickers on here still, I get it, this is a place to vent and discuss ups and downs but now yesterday is done it's time to get some perspective and get back behind the team for what it's going to be our most important few months for a long time.

COYB x
Positives on 08:55 - Jan 28 with 2741 viewsChrisd

However we try to spin it there aren’t any positives from that result yesterday. We lost at home, to a side that is part time and plays its football in the 6th tier of English football against the likes of Braintree Town, Truro City, Chelmsford City et al. It still and will remain one - if not the most - embarrassing results this club as ever had. No positives for me, sorry.
[Post edited 28 Jan 9:17]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024