Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives 08:03 - Jan 28 with 6534 viewsitfcjoe

No midweek replay (see Leeds having to go down to Plymouth)

No midweek 5th round tie to schedule

Hopefully the players can take it as the freak result that it was, if that game plays out like it did another 100 times you wouldn’t lose. Totally embarrassing to do so, but less so than Lincoln, Barrow etc where we totally deserved to lose even if the result yesterday was worse.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Positives on 14:06 - Jan 28 with 924 viewsPhilTWTD

Bang on, I'd say. Terrible but freaky result, decent enough performance for the most part.

Another minor positive to take was Buabo's performance, thought he did well again.
Positives on 14:07 - Jan 28 with 911 viewsParisBlue

Positives on 08:31 - Jan 28 by Pinewoodblue

The one older (45+) Town fans remember is Wrexham away mid 90’s. Burley’s first cup game as Manager.

The following week we travelled to the North West and won 1-0

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Positives on 14:16 - Jan 28 with 872 viewsbazza

Positives on 14:06 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Bang on, I'd say. Terrible but freaky result, decent enough performance for the most part.

Another minor positive to take was Buabo's performance, thought he did well again.

He looked really strong, got him self into good areas, I hope they put him on the bench for Preston and he gets a chance, he could well be the striker we are after.
Positives on 14:18 - Jan 28 with 873 viewsblueasfook

And Sarmie did decent. I loved his run from deep in our own half. Was willing him to bang one in at the end of it.

Let's get back to Championship business now.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Positives on 14:21 - Jan 28 with 862 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 14:01 - Jan 28 by Trequartista

As much as i agree about prioritising the league, I don't like seeing these as positives. If that's how we feel about the FA Cup why bother entering it.

We don't get a choice, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Positives on 14:22 - Jan 28 with 849 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 14:18 - Jan 28 by blueasfook

And Sarmie did decent. I loved his run from deep in our own half. Was willing him to bang one in at the end of it.

Let's get back to Championship business now.

Sarmiento was different gravy. Kid looks class.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Positives on 14:23 - Jan 28 with 838 viewsTrequartista

Positives on 14:21 - Jan 28 by Herbivore

We don't get a choice, mate.

True dat.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Positives on 14:43 - Jan 28 with 799 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No positives from a humiliating result that we will constantly be reminded of. The fact you mention Leeds in your first sentence highlights that.

I actually didn’t like the draw as much as everyone else. If people wanted to go out of the cup why were folks happy with Maidstone at home? Which outside a big tie, most were pleased with. I don’t care about not advancing in the competition, I do care about being embarrassed at home. This is the first time a side that low down has got to the 5th round in my lifetime.
[Post edited 28 Jan 14:43]
Login to get fewer ads

Positives on 15:12 - Jan 28 with 753 viewsitfcjoe

Positives on 14:43 - Jan 28 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No positives from a humiliating result that we will constantly be reminded of. The fact you mention Leeds in your first sentence highlights that.

I actually didn’t like the draw as much as everyone else. If people wanted to go out of the cup why were folks happy with Maidstone at home? Which outside a big tie, most were pleased with. I don’t care about not advancing in the competition, I do care about being embarrassed at home. This is the first time a side that low down has got to the 5th round in my lifetime.

I wanted to win the tie, I didn’t want to go out- but we aren’t going to be reminded of this forever, it’ll be forgotten about in a few weeks

And not having extra midweek games is a positive, had we got a late equaliser as an example, we’d have no doubt beaten them in the replay and basically ballsed up at least 2 weeks on the training ground

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Positives on 15:38 - Jan 28 with 707 viewsunstableblue

Positives on 14:43 - Jan 28 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

But were we really embarrassed??

Or was it a freak result?

The result was embarrassing, yes. Was the performance embarrassing? Absolutely not.

The narrative from pundits has been essentially Ipswich dominated but spurned enough early chanaces to be 4-0 up; and Maidstone were inspired in their finishing in the only two chances Maidstone had.

Embarrassing was Barrow away, Lincoln away and Charlton away. This were performances and results.

Is it McKenna’s or the wider team’s fault that Broadhead and Aluko spurned easier chances than Maidstone’s?

Win at Preston and all is forgotten.
Move on.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Positives on 15:44 - Jan 28 with 695 viewsDubtractor

Positives on 15:38 - Jan 28 by unstableblue

The result was embarrassing, yes. Was the performance embarrassing? Absolutely not.

The narrative from pundits has been essentially Ipswich dominated but spurned enough early chanaces to be 4-0 up; and Maidstone were inspired in their finishing in the only two chances Maidstone had.

Embarrassing was Barrow away, Lincoln away and Charlton away. This were performances and results.

Is it McKenna’s or the wider team’s fault that Broadhead and Aluko spurned easier chances than Maidstone’s?

Move on.

Honestly, I find it easier to laugh about yesterday than be embarrassed.

It was a ridiculous game to lose, and yet we still found a way!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Positives on 15:47 - Jan 28 with 675 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Positives on 15:12 - Jan 28 by itfcjoe

I wanted to win the tie, I didn’t want to go out- but we aren’t going to be reminded of this forever, it’ll be forgotten about in a few weeks

And not having extra midweek games is a positive, had we got a late equaliser as an example, we’d have no doubt beaten them in the replay and basically ballsed up at least 2 weeks on the training ground

I hear you, a replay would have been almost as bad as losing. It’s just in isolation, on paper when you consider the opposition, a humiliating result, so I don’t draw positives from that.

Maybe it’s hard to explain but for someone that’s lived abroad for over a decade, we have been basically irrelevant in the game and global fans had just started hearing about us again so it’s a frustrating one. The common question in the bar when someone hears your accent “who is your team” and the rather blank stare when you told them.

Not that anyone on here cares about what US sports fans who barely look outside the Premier League know about Ipswich but it’s just rather an annoying storyline if that makes any kind of sense. Agree it will be a footnote soon enough, just for now my phone got lit up with a few Maidstone?!? texts because it was THE football news yesterday. Probably because I’ve been banging on about ITFC and our upward trajectory a lot in the last 12 months.

Regardless of all that, understandable there was some emotion yesterday after such a result. I imagine KM is rather pissed off it’s on his resume and I hope we see a reaction within the team. I am confident we will.

Dust ourselves off.
Positives on 15:49 - Jan 28 with 656 viewspointofblue

Another positive - a trip to Hillsborough or the Ricoh is hardly a reward.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Positives on 15:52 - Jan 28 with 641 viewscbower

Positives on 08:08 - Jan 28 by textbackup

I’ve slept on it… and I’m still as upset.

Probably more because this lot (players & KM) have been so great but will have this over them forever.

I read yesterday people saying a win Saturday and this is forgotten, no it isn’t. It’s going to be brought up forever, Wrexham beating Arsenal is spoken about every single year, etc etc…

I can’t see beyond this causing a long drawn out hangover for a long time

You have a point of course, it will be referenced but perhaps less so as Maidstone probably won’t make the 3rd Round too often in the near future wheras Wrexham are on the up. You could argue that Hereford against Newcastle gets a great deal of airtime but that was Ronni Radford's screamer and the commentary that made that iconic. How mant times does our defeat to Lincoln get a real mention? We were Championship then and they were non league, albeit one division above Maidstone.

bluescouser

Positives on 15:56 - Jan 28 with 618 viewsNthQldITFC

Saints have a replay to handle as well now.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Positives on 16:07 - Jan 28 with 583 viewsunstableblue

Positives on 15:44 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

Honestly, I find it easier to laugh about yesterday than be embarrassed.

It was a ridiculous game to lose, and yet we still found a way!

Bang on Dubster.

I’ve had so many mates contact over this result, been hilarious. It’s a laugh. And I embarrassed to be a Town fan at the moment - no chance.

noun
noun: embarrassment
a feeling of self-consciousness, shame, or awkwardness.

a person or thing causing feelings of embarrassment.
plural noun: embarrassments
"he was an embarrassment who was safely left ignored"

How can a Town fan be embarrassed this season?

Any other external mate or person worth their salt know we dominated yesterday, but more importantly they know what an amazing two seasons we’ve had. And that we’re keeping pace with teams with far far superior budgets.

I was embarrassed as a Town fan when taking mates to watch a Mick town game. Or getting relegated to League One. Or some of the Lambert sideways passing. Etc

Positives on 16:08 - Jan 28 with 582 viewsunstableblue

Buabos physicality was impressive.

And the way he was throwing himself around suggests he’s fully fit.

One to watch.

Positives on 16:09 - Jan 28 with 578 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Positives on 15:38 - Jan 28 by unstableblue

Move on.

Again have to separate the result and game itself I guess. So the result is in the history books and probably enters the top 10 cup upsets of all time, so yes it’s embarrassing.

Lincoln and Barrow we were going nowhere and just a really bad side, the result was more reflective of how bad we were as a team rather than a crazy set of events leading to the upset.

Although the for the Barrow game, it’s always darkest before the dawn comes to mind.

The result will be talked about for years to come, a bit like Christmas it will be seasonal just in January and our rivals will have some fun with it. Much more important things for us concentrate on though so PNE can’t come soon enough.
Positives on 16:10 - Jan 28 with 570 viewspointofblue

Would still love why he came on for Sarmiento rather than Broadhead.

Positives on 16:11 - Jan 28 with 562 viewsPhilTWTD

Positives on 16:08 - Jan 28 by unstableblue

Buabos physicality was impressive.

And the way he was throwing himself around suggests he’s fully fit.

One to watch.

Was only considered able to play 45 minutes for the U21s last week, so a little way to go yet.
Positives on 16:16 - Jan 28 with 530 viewsDubtractor

Positives on 16:10 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

Would still love why he came on for Sarmiento rather than Broadhead.

My guess would be because we intend to start Sarmiento against PNE, whereas Broadhead is likely to be on the bench?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Positives on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 524 viewsMullet

Positives on 16:11 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Was only considered able to play 45 minutes for the U21s last week, so a little way to go yet.

So, he's starting on Saturday then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Positives on 16:18 - Jan 28 with 523 viewspointofblue

Positives on 16:16 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

My guess would be because we intend to start Sarmiento against PNE, whereas Broadhead is likely to be on the bench?

Possibly, though there was a week between games, we were needing a goal and Sarmiento looked much the bigger threat.

Positives on 16:19 - Jan 28 with 516 viewsblueislander

Positives on 08:31 - Jan 28 by Pinewoodblue

The one older (45+) Town fans remember is Wrexham away mid 90’s. Burley’s first cup game as Manager.

One I remember is losing at home to non-league Peterborough in 1960 in the 3rd round, and 2 years later we won the first division.
Positives on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 473 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Positives on 10:35 - Jan 28 by BlueOura

"I trusted this group of players and Manager and feel very let down"
This is how I feel therefore to me it is true, not an opinion.

" I thought our days as a national laughing stock were finally over, seems I was wrong"
This is also true. This weekend ( and for the next 10 years in Norfolk ) we are a laughing stock.

As for the rest ,you appear to be another supporter that is cool with losing to Maidstone, so I guess you would disagree. Fair enough if that's how you roll.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:44]

We are a laughing stock in norfolk because we haven't won a trophy for over 40 years (despite them never winning one), because they drew the derby (despite us dominating it) and because they have had a decade of dominance over us (which started with them relegated to League 1 and losing 1-7 at home to ColU while one of our players on loan helped score them).

If you are taking "being a laughing stock in norfolk" as your benchmark I would respectfully suggest you have taken the wrong standard. I am fairly confident we will be at least one division higher them at some point over the next 10 years. They will still find some reason to laugh at us like us losing to a lower team in a cup but that is their pyrrhic victory. Let them have their day. Ultimately both clubs got knocked out in the 4th round this season. Theirs was expected, ours wasn't. Theirs was a reflection of the play, ours was down to clinical finishing on the day versus poor finishing from us and an inspired goalkeeping performance. It happens. Onwards and upwards with the league now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024