Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the standard of driving getting worse? 08:48 - Feb 13 with 7256 viewsgeg1992

Just saw a very near accident on the A14 where the Shell garage slip road joins. A white Hyundai joined without even considering a lorry in lane 1, which had to swerve aggressively, almost tipping over and coming within inches of hitting another car. Fair play to the lorry driver!!

Seem to be seeing these sorts of incidents more and more often recently. People don't seem to understand that a slip road gives you no priority to the joining traffic, it's a give way!

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 08:49 - Feb 13 with 3701 viewsredrickstuhaart

Yes. Its getting much worse. People cant even be arsed to stay on their side of the road anymore. Everyday I meet people coming the other way who are just being lazy about staying in their own lane.

Phones probably a lot to do with it too.

Id add that whilst a slip road is a give way, any driver coming up to one on the main carriageway ought to be thinking primarily about how they can position themselves to make it easy for people to pull out.
[Post edited 13 Feb 8:50]
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 08:51 - Feb 13 with 3680 viewsgeg1992

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 08:49 - Feb 13 by redrickstuhaart

Yes. Its getting much worse. People cant even be arsed to stay on their side of the road anymore. Everyday I meet people coming the other way who are just being lazy about staying in their own lane.

Id add that whilst a slip road is a give way, any driver coming up to one on the main carriageway ought to be thinking primarily about how they can position themselves to make it easy for people to pull out.

Phones baffles me. Even with the updated 6 points, people are still using them.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:01 - Feb 13 with 3647 viewsGeoffSentence

Not sure if the standard of driving is getting worse in general, but as the number of drivers increases there will be a corresponding increase in crap ones. Likewise as the number of people driving increases the roads get more crowded and this sort of thing is more likely to happen.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:05 - Feb 13 with 3626 viewsNthQldITFC

I see a lot of swerving w@nkers on phones, hyper-aggressive delivery drivers bunging Red Bull cans out of windows, young and old drivers alike too impatient to wait for clear road to overtake a bicycle. It is WAY more dangerous round my way than it used to be, partly through constant house-building AND deteriorating, 'unimproved' roads.

I've had several very close escapes recently and so have some of those drivers if only they knew it.

I think it quite likely that I will die on the road on my bike.

So yes.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:06 - Feb 13 with 3600 viewsDJR

I would certainly agree, and I wonder if one cause of bad driving is that people don't cycle as children and therefore lack proper road sense.

And the idea of not cutting in after overtaking until you can see the car in your mirror seems to have completely gone out of fashion.
[Post edited 13 Feb 9:08]
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:09 - Feb 13 with 3559 viewsdavblue

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:05 - Feb 13 by NthQldITFC

I see a lot of swerving w@nkers on phones, hyper-aggressive delivery drivers bunging Red Bull cans out of windows, young and old drivers alike too impatient to wait for clear road to overtake a bicycle. It is WAY more dangerous round my way than it used to be, partly through constant house-building AND deteriorating, 'unimproved' roads.

I've had several very close escapes recently and so have some of those drivers if only they knew it.

So yes.

i knocked road cycling on the head a few years ago. Saw quite a bit of stuff that made me uncomfortable and not safe plus 2 keen cyclist from 2 miles away got killed at the same time and that was it for me.

Ended up getting a Peloton which isn't the same but i can cycle with the only fear of a plastic football my son plays with hitting me.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:10 - Feb 13 with 3546 viewsartsbossbeard

Had a slight kerfuffle right there on Sunday.

I noticed a car indicating out of the Shell garage slip road and moved out to the outside lane to accommodate, however, the car behind me hadn't noticed and not only forced the incoming car to brake sharply and not join the road, he then refused to let me back into the inside lane and undertook me all whilst I was obeying the 60mph speed restriction.

Genuinely couldn't understand his actions but I'm sure that he was sat at home later in the day regaling the story of a bloke on the A14 ridiculously attempting to get back into "his" lane and forcing him to undertake or something..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:10 - Feb 13 with 3543 viewsStokieBlue

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:05 - Feb 13 by NthQldITFC

So yes.

As an extension of this, the dedicated cycle lanes in London are now full of electric bikes (mainly delivery ones) where the owner has disabled the maximum speed and they come hurtling past you in the cycle lane at about 40mph.

It essentially makes it an electric motorbike, they don't pedal and just zoom about at ridiculous speeds with no recourse given there is no number plate to link them back to an action.

It's utterly ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:10 - Feb 13 with 3534 viewsITFC_Forever

That Shell garage at Nacton should be closed, it's such a dangerous slip road.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:11 - Feb 13 with 3518 viewsdavblue

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 08:51 - Feb 13 by geg1992

Phones baffles me. Even with the updated 6 points, people are still using them.

should be a straight ban.

When im on calls at home, looking out of the window the amount of people i see driving in a residential area with phones in their hands talking is frightening really. With young children around it's dreadful that you would think it's ok to do that.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:15 - Feb 13 with 3442 viewssoupytwist

Yes, drivers coming up a slip road and expecting to be let in to the traffic already on the road, rather than moderating their own speed to safely join seems to be the default these days.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:15 - Feb 13 with 3433 viewsGeoffSentence

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:09 - Feb 13 by davblue

i knocked road cycling on the head a few years ago. Saw quite a bit of stuff that made me uncomfortable and not safe plus 2 keen cyclist from 2 miles away got killed at the same time and that was it for me.

Ended up getting a Peloton which isn't the same but i can cycle with the only fear of a plastic football my son plays with hitting me.

It's a negative feeback loop. People don't cycle because of the danger posed by cars, so they get in their cars instead....

Doesn't help that there are some cwnts who are actively aggressive towards people on bikes.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:15 - Feb 13 with 3429 viewsDanTheMan

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:11 - Feb 13 by davblue

should be a straight ban.

When im on calls at home, looking out of the window the amount of people i see driving in a residential area with phones in their hands talking is frightening really. With young children around it's dreadful that you would think it's ok to do that.

Wait until people start using those Apple goggles.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:16 - Feb 13 with 3427 viewsZx1988

Definitely.

Compare and contrast to driving on the continent. Mrs Zx and I took a weekend in Bruges a couple of months back, driving over via the tunnel. The difference in driving standards on the main routes is phenomenal; impeccable lane discipline, speed limits observed to a fault, and none of the general stressors that make UK motorway driving so fun.

Switching to the UK, it seems more and more as if the first few seconds of a red light are seen as advisory these days. The number of times I'll (hands up here!) sneak through a late amber, think 'yeah, I definitely cut that fine', and then see the next four or five cars behind me sail on through as well.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:16 - Feb 13 with 3408 viewsChurchman

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:06 - Feb 13 by DJR

I would certainly agree, and I wonder if one cause of bad driving is that people don't cycle as children and therefore lack proper road sense.

And the idea of not cutting in after overtaking until you can see the car in your mirror seems to have completely gone out of fashion.
[Post edited 13 Feb 9:08]

I’d agree too. It feels like driving standards have plummeted. Barging in, tailgating, bullying, you name it. On the A12 on Saturday one idiot was so close I couldn’t see the front of his bonnet in the mirror. I could see his contorted face though.

There was a time when I’d have tried to do something about it, but not any more. I just got out of the way. With booze, phones, drugs and god knows what let these people get on with it.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:16 - Feb 13 with 3413 viewsJakeITFC

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:10 - Feb 13 by artsbossbeard

Had a slight kerfuffle right there on Sunday.

I noticed a car indicating out of the Shell garage slip road and moved out to the outside lane to accommodate, however, the car behind me hadn't noticed and not only forced the incoming car to brake sharply and not join the road, he then refused to let me back into the inside lane and undertook me all whilst I was obeying the 60mph speed restriction.

Genuinely couldn't understand his actions but I'm sure that he was sat at home later in the day regaling the story of a bloke on the A14 ridiculously attempting to get back into "his" lane and forcing him to undertake or something..

The 60mph zone has made that garage slip road even more precarious than it was previously because people just sit and block both lanes at roughly the same speed now. Horrible place to rejoin the carriageway.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:18 - Feb 13 with 3381 viewsStokieBlue

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:15 - Feb 13 by DanTheMan

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/05/viral-tesla-vr-driving-pete-b

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:18 - Feb 13 with 3363 viewsbluelagos

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 08:49 - Feb 13 by redrickstuhaart

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/groups/centralsouthern/news/news-story/2020/07/06/t

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:23 - Feb 13 with 3266 viewsdavblue

i see people with headphones on ,the noise cancelling sort. I can't get my head around that i know driving is visual but you need your ears as well, for emergency vehicles and i think general awareness.
Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:26 - Feb 13 with 3212 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The future is bright.
The future is digital zombies.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:40 - Feb 13 with 3135 viewsZx1988

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:16 - Feb 13 by Churchman

I’d agree too. It feels like driving standards have plummeted. Barging in, tailgating, bullying, you name it. On the A12 on Saturday one idiot was so close I couldn’t see the front of his bonnet in the mirror. I could see his contorted face though.

There was a time when I’d have tried to do something about it, but not any more. I just got out of the way. With booze, phones, drugs and god knows what let these people get on with it.

So much of it seems to stem from a general lack of patience these days.

One Saturday evening last year I was driving home from the match, and hit some stationary traffic near the Norfolk Showground on the A47. Sat still in the inside lane, some berk in an Audi passes me on my left, along the verge, does a 180-degree turn, and drives the wrong way up the slip-road to get off the A47 and try and avoid the traffic.

I think there are myriad factors at play, but it doesn't help that there seems to be no consequences for poor driving and, compared to the standards of some other countries, the standard of our driving tuition is so poor. Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that it's perfectly possible to obtain a driving licence despite only ever having driven on single-carriageway roads during daylight hours in good conditions.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:56 - Feb 13 with 3055 viewsbluelagos

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:40 - Feb 13 by Zx1988

One Saturday evening last year I was driving home from the match, and hit some stationary traffic near the Norfolk Showground on the A47. Sat still in the inside lane, some berk in an Audi passes me on my left, along the verge, does a 180-degree turn, and drives the wrong way up the slip-road to get off the A47 and try and avoid the traffic.

I think there are myriad factors at play, but it doesn't help that there seems to be no consequences for poor driving and, compared to the standards of some other countries, the standard of our driving tuition is so poor. Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that it's perfectly possible to obtain a driving licence despite only ever having driven on single-carriageway roads during daylight hours in good conditions.

Pretty sure dual carriage way driving is part of the test.

I'd actually challenge the argument that our driving is worse than elsewhere. You'll see far far worse in Italy, Portugal, Spain.

In Belgium I was once undertaken in the lane I was in on a motorway. They are truly mental there.

*Germany, Austria and Switzerland aside - they are cool in my experience.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 10:01 - Feb 13 with 3024 viewsDanTheMan

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 09:56 - Feb 13 by bluelagos

Pretty sure dual carriage way driving is part of the test.

I'd actually challenge the argument that our driving is worse than elsewhere. You'll see far far worse in Italy, Portugal, Spain.

In Belgium I was once undertaken in the lane I was in on a motorway. They are truly mental there.

*Germany, Austria and Switzerland aside - they are cool in my experience.

Italy was bloody terrifying, there might as well have been no rules at all.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 10:03 - Feb 13 with 3011 viewsPinewoodblue

Last week, on a trip around M25(M40-A12) I overtook one lady driver three times. Each time she was on her phone and wandering between lanes. Minutes later she would speed by 80mph+.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is the standard of driving getting worse? on 10:08 - Feb 13 with 2977 viewsChurchman

Audi drivers seem to be the worst. They seem to have taken over from BMW drivers as w@nkers of the road. I am allowed to say that as my car is an Audi! 😃. But it wasn’t me on the A47!!

Seriously, I agree re consequences. There aren’t any. As for tuition, I don’t know about that but it’d certainly seem so. I’d advocate not a driving test every 5 years, but half an hour with an examiner just to prove you are safe to drive. With a compulsory referral/retraining if you are not.

Something like that.just a thought. It’s always seemed odd that you pass your test and that’s that. Do what you like for the rest of your life, bad habits n all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024