Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we ? 07:29 - Mar 5 with 3940 viewscressi

AS some Plymouth fan pointed out we are a bit of a dirty side twenty two fouls Saturday which was double the average in the premiership and championship. The nearest to us was sixteen. He worked out with ball in play and when we were out of possession we committed a foul almost every minute. Myself I'm loving it I want us to fight disrupt for every ball we have rolled over in the past only winners to put our shirt on hence why we have lost less than anyone and come back from losing to take more points than anyone long may it continue.
Are we ? on 07:40 - Mar 5 with 2862 viewsStokieBlue

Quite a lot of that was a function of the ref being utterly rubbish.

At least 5 of those "fouls" were against Hutchinson for their massive defender repeatedly throwing himself to the floor.

He wouldn't factor in the ref in his analysis though as it was in their favour and he likely had a bias given he felt he wanted to take the time to work it all out.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Are we ? on 07:42 - Mar 5 with 2851 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

No we are not, but we are streetwise - something we’ve learned well from out time in league One. We are one place above Plymouth in the fair play table (with zero red cards).

It’s just sour grapes from them (a common theme for teams playing in green).
Are we ? on 07:45 - Mar 5 with 2839 viewsWestcountryblue

100% we are. Morsy and Luongo do a hell of a lot of dirty work in the middle of the park and give us the license to be expansive going forward.
Are we ? on 07:49 - Mar 5 with 2800 viewsBuhrer

I thought we were strong and cynically made some fouls fighting for the ball, I think they were lightweight and cynically went down whenever they couldn't win the ball. We progressively dominated them as the second half went on, we just looked fitter, and fiercer. Winning.
Are we ? on 07:54 - Mar 5 with 2745 viewsHerbivore

No, we're not dirty. Our game is based on winning the ball back as quicky and as high up the pitch as possible so we aren't shy of nipping in to make a tackle but we certainly aren't dirty. The reason for the high foul count on Saturday was Plymouth doing their usual and throwing themselves to the ground every 30 seconds. They might want to reflect on how they play the game, they are much more cheaty than we are.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Are we ? on 08:02 - Mar 5 with 2689 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If we are. Good. We’re doing ok on it aren’t we?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Are we ? on 08:11 - Mar 5 with 2646 viewsChurchman

Having watched the match back, it really wasn’t a dirty game. The ref blew up for everything and Plymouth tried to take advantage of it. Poor old Hutchinson. He’s really not the biggest but their mighty oak players were falling down whenever he went near them and the ref bought it.

The worst tackle of the afternoon was the two footer from that useless green bag of meat Galloway. And even that was only a yellow.

No, we are not a dirty side, but we do stand up to teams. They are not schooled in the dark arts as Leicester and Leeds are, but they don’t get bullied either.

Cliche time - You have to sometimes fight for the right to play. It’s what good teams do and I felt that we did that on Saturday a bit. Negate them first half, overwhelm them second. Nothing wrong with that.
[Post edited 5 Mar 9:13]
Are we ? on 08:19 - Mar 5 with 2572 viewsSitfcB

0 red cards all season (so far)

Dirty teams get red cards.

The ref was a bit rubbish on Saturday, gave a FK to them everytime someone put a hand on one of their players, a lot of petty ones.

I do like Josh Smith though, 6 games reffed and 0 losses. (3 wins and 3 draws)

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Are we ? on 08:23 - Mar 5 with 2534 viewsjayessess

There were a lot of fouls, so inevitably we're going to think it's because they went down easily and they're going to think we're dirty. Just the way things are really.

FWIW my attempt at a balanced view was that the referee had a lower bar for physical contact than pretty much any ref I've seen this season. Since Plymouth's game plan was quite passive and ours more aggressive that meant the foul count ended up pretty one-sided.

Most referees allow more contact that on Saturday and in that scenario I think Plymouth would have struggled more with our press. On the other hand, you'd expect most refs to give out more cards given the foul count, so I can see why they were aggrieved we didn't get many.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Are we ? on 08:32 - Mar 5 with 2483 viewsgainsboroughblue

I think it shows that a lot of football fans are whinging little fecks.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Are we ? on 08:36 - Mar 5 with 2442 viewsredrickstuhaart

Are we ? on 08:23 - Mar 5 by jayessess

There were a lot of fouls, so inevitably we're going to think it's because they went down easily and they're going to think we're dirty. Just the way things are really.

FWIW my attempt at a balanced view was that the referee had a lower bar for physical contact than pretty much any ref I've seen this season. Since Plymouth's game plan was quite passive and ours more aggressive that meant the foul count ended up pretty one-sided.

Most referees allow more contact that on Saturday and in that scenario I think Plymouth would have struggled more with our press. On the other hand, you'd expect most refs to give out more cards given the foul count, so I can see why they were aggrieved we didn't get many.

The ref knew full well that they were soft / marginal, else he would have had Hutch for persistence fouling etc as they home support was baying for.
Are we ? on 08:39 - Mar 5 with 2404 viewsRobTheMonk

I'd describe us as 'nitty bitty shrewd' in the midfield. Morsy and Lunogo especially know when to make a foul. Both strong in the tackle but know how far they can push it. Travis does similar but isn't as good on the ball as the other two.

Are we a dirty team? Yeah, we are a bit now. I think we have the most yellow cards, but we have zero red cards. Shows we know generally when and where to make the fouls.
Are we ? on 08:43 - Mar 5 with 2376 viewsthorpedo

For all our good football - we ARE actually quite a dirty side. We have had 82 bookings this season - the most in the Championship - which surprises me. Crucially though, only us and WBA have not had a red card - which suggests that there is discipline to our foul play!
We do love a 'tactical' foul to stop breakaways etc. Great that we have so many facets to our game!

Thorpedo

Are we ? on 08:46 - Mar 5 with 2352 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

When you attack with so many bodies up the pitch like we do. Tactical fouling is a necessity at times.

Not sure it makes us dirty, just needs must.

Hutchinson was getting some weird fouls given against him but he 100% should have been booked in that first half for just kicking an Argyle player in the ankles as he drove forward with the ball. Cant believe the ref didn't book him. Funny though.
[Post edited 5 Mar 8:48]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are we ? on 08:49 - Mar 5 with 2329 viewsKeno

well I just hope that there diminutive defender has recovered after that brutal assault that our massive beast Omari inflicted on him

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are we ? on 08:52 - Mar 5 with 2300 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Are we ? on 08:49 - Mar 5 by Keno

well I just hope that there diminutive defender has recovered after that brutal assault that our massive beast Omari inflicted on him

Galloway ? Good lord he spent more time on the floor.

I was fuming when the Lino gave that shoulder barge (if you can even call it that) against Omari. They both initiated the contact and the guy who was about a foot smaller won. Terrible.
[Post edited 5 Mar 8:52]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are we ? on 08:52 - Mar 5 with 2298 viewspointofblue

I wish people would stop saying we haven't had a red card this season. Makes me worry for tonight.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Are we ? on 08:55 - Mar 5 with 2273 viewsSharkey

I folowed the game on the 'chat' on Saturday in the first half. People were noting that the ref was whistle-happy.
But I watched the second half and thought the ref was quite happy to allow some pretty robust tackling from both sides, and thought he did well. (As I say, I didn't see the first half.)
Are we ? on 08:55 - Mar 5 with 2267 viewsKeno

Are we ? on 08:52 - Mar 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Galloway ? Good lord he spent more time on the floor.

I was fuming when the Lino gave that shoulder barge (if you can even call it that) against Omari. They both initiated the contact and the guy who was about a foot smaller won. Terrible.
[Post edited 5 Mar 8:52]

yes thats the one

The was him after the game

Are we ? on 08:58 - Mar 5 with 2248 viewsRadlett_blue

Town have had 82 yellow cards this season, the highest number in the Championship, so it would be reasonable to say that we are one of the more physical/cynical teams in this league. However, it seems that another of McKenna's skills is teaching his players to be smart as we haven't had a single 2nd yellow or straight red. After years of Town being considered a bit of a soft touch, you have to think this is a welcome development & another sign of an excellent manager.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Are we ? on 09:05 - Mar 5 with 2186 viewsIPS_wich

There's a bit of history to this with Plymouth.

In one of the League 1 games at their place (either early last season or late the season before) Morsy did commit a pretty awful tackle - late and over the top of the ball. Much worse than Galloway's tackle at the weekend and to be honest was one of those ones where if there had been VAR he would almost certainly have got a red card for it. (Quite out of character for Morsy - he's a yellow card accumulator but this is the only time where I think he went beyond that)

Add to that their belief that Edmondson's tackle in the game at Portman Rd was a clear foul and red card (ignoring the replays that showed he got the ball) and now the collective hive mind on their forum has come to the conclusion that we are a dirty side and that Morsy is the dirtiest player in the history of the modern game.

And then on Saturday there were two other factors to add to this:
1) That their players fell over at the slightest contact - even from someone as lightweight as Hutchinson - and the ref constantly blew up for a foul.
2) That Morsy was paired with Travis - a player who the Blackburn fans told us was a black belt in 'sh1thousery'...and for the first time I saw what they meant because he was winding them up left, right and centre.

Are we a dirty side - not really, and the fact we've had no red cards against us would be testament to that.

Are we much much better at the dark art of niggly fouls than we were 2-3 years ago - 100% and thank god for that.

Plus - the fact that our niggly players (Morsy, Hirst, Chaplin, Moore, Luongo) are also technically very skilled players means we are not only capable of disrupting the opposition, but also of then passing around them.
Are we ? on 09:08 - Mar 5 with 2146 viewsArnieM

I don't think we are a dirty side at . I'm sick of seeing opposition players take a dive as soon as they are touched. Yet our players seconds later get belted , and we get absolutely nothing from the officials. We see this every week without fail.

Saturday , Plymouth were diving all over the place. Its was embarrassing to see. and clearly coached. The ref was in their back pocket all afternoon.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Are we ? on 09:10 - Mar 5 with 2125 viewsKeno

Are we ? on 08:58 - Mar 5 by Radlett_blue

Town have had 82 yellow cards this season, the highest number in the Championship, so it would be reasonable to say that we are one of the more physical/cynical teams in this league. However, it seems that another of McKenna's skills is teaching his players to be smart as we haven't had a single 2nd yellow or straight red. After years of Town being considered a bit of a soft touch, you have to think this is a welcome development & another sign of an excellent manager.

yes but of those about 70 have gone to Morsy

Are we ? on 09:29 - Mar 5 with 1990 viewsGeoffSentence

Joint 5th fouliest team in the division according to this

https://www.thepunterspage.com/fouls-stats/

Unsurprisingly Sam and Mass make up about a quarter of that

But does that mean we are dirty? That depends on how you define dirty. I'd say that to be dirty there needs to be a high level of three elements in the foul play:

1. cynical
2. reckless
3. dangerous

There aren't any stats for that, but the evidence of my eyes is that we aren't any of those.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Are we ? on 09:30 - Mar 5 with 1976 viewslizzibee

Not dirty, but streetwise. Plymouth have many salty chips on their shoulders and are frankly soft. It's a contact sport and good hard tackles when you get the ball is fine. They are just grumpy they are two points off the bottom and lost to the runners up (twice)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024