Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swimming pool Portman Road 08:12 - Mar 12 with 7447 viewsPinewoodblue

Today’s Ipswich Star carries a story suggesting it is going ahead. Being discussed in Council next week. Also considering turning current council offices into flats.

Does this impact on ITFC plans for Cobbold Stand?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:11 - Mar 12 with 1563 viewsAlexMathie

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:59 - Mar 12 by hype313

Where are all those people going to park? you know, the one's that are quite happy to mow down the pedestrians to gain an extra few yards after a game.

Seven-level multi-storey car park are included in the plans, as per the original article

www.turfgame.com

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:14 - Mar 12 with 1553 viewsGeoffSentence

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:11 - Mar 12 by stonojnr

Going ahead? Don't be fooled by another one of Geate's speculative fiction with a pretty artists impression stories to fill space in the paper sop pieces. It's almost like there's an election in the offing.

Theyve got a new website with some pictures and published a new report thats been looking into it for the past 2 years that's all. And all it recommends is yeah seems a nice idea let's move it to the next stage in the process.

The only reason it even exists as a thing is because they're forced to deal with Crown Pools becoming end of use, either they fix Crown Pools or they create a plan to do something different, this is the plan but it's not anywhere near going ahead yet.

There's no budget for it & no plans approved for it

Until ground starts being dug up and structures being built its not happening, just like the Mint Quarter, the new bus station, the new waterfront crossing, the finishing of the waterfront, the new cycling park.

All the many projects and master plans they've had with lots of lovely artists impressions none of which have ever moved an inch further forward.

The 'goes ahead' headline is a bit of clickbait, the rest of the article just says the council are discussing it and it changes to 'moves ahead' in the content, meaning that something new has happened - publication of the proposal.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:14 - Mar 12 with 1553 viewsElderGrizzly

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:11 - Mar 12 by stonojnr

Going ahead? Don't be fooled by another one of Geate's speculative fiction with a pretty artists impression stories to fill space in the paper sop pieces. It's almost like there's an election in the offing.

Theyve got a new website with some pictures and published a new report thats been looking into it for the past 2 years that's all. And all it recommends is yeah seems a nice idea let's move it to the next stage in the process.

The only reason it even exists as a thing is because they're forced to deal with Crown Pools becoming end of use, either they fix Crown Pools or they create a plan to do something different, this is the plan but it's not anywhere near going ahead yet.

There's no budget for it & no plans approved for it

Until ground starts being dug up and structures being built its not happening, just like the Mint Quarter, the new bus station, the new waterfront crossing, the finishing of the waterfront, the new cycling park.

All the many projects and master plans they've had with lots of lovely artists impressions none of which have ever moved an inch further forward.

To your cynicism point, there is a hospital in Ely which is having a multi-storey carpark built as part of a multi-million pound new health centre to stop people having to travel to Addenbrookes in Cambridge.

They have just announced (to staff on the project), they don't have the money to build the entrance ramp or to install the lighting so it can't be opened.

They also asked after construction had started to reduce from 4 to 3 floors, which wasn't structurally possible.

So even if spades are in the ground, money for council/Govt funded things are still an absolute sh*tshow
Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:16 - Mar 12 with 1528 viewshype313

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:11 - Mar 12 by AlexMathie

Seven-level multi-storey car park are included in the plans, as per the original article

That'll be fun....

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:17 - Mar 12 with 1516 viewsAlexMathie

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:14 - Mar 12 by GeoffSentence

The 'goes ahead' headline is a bit of clickbait, the rest of the article just says the council are discussing it and it changes to 'moves ahead' in the content, meaning that something new has happened - publication of the proposal.

It’s interesting this has been announced only a couple of weeks after MA stating future redevelopment plans of the Cobbold stand will be announced in the next few weeks. The two projects seem to go hand in hand.

www.turfgame.com

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:17 - Mar 12 with 1519 viewsHelp

Swimming pool Portman Road on 09:01 - Mar 12 by ITFC_Forever

Was he the bodybuilder who won competitions all over the UK?

There certainly was one in the late 80s / early 90s.

They were supposed to build a diving pool and boards on the green next the competition pool, but never got round to it.

Cost init. At the end of the day something had to go to keep the costs down and the diving area was dropped
Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:19 - Mar 12 with 1499 viewshoppy

Swimming pool Portman Road on 10:09 - Mar 12 by ITFC_Forever

They should bring back the Easy Rider.

£8 for the whole summer - unlimited travel between 9am and 6pm on the Ipswich buses, and free admission to Broom Hill, the pitch & putts at Chantry and Bourne Parks and some activities at the sports centres.

With unlimited travel between 9am and 6pm, would that mean you can just send the kids on a bus ride, and in that time, maybe they'd get into town and back (depending on other circumstances such as whether the Orwell Bridge is open or closed at the time?)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:49 - Mar 12 with 1406 viewsAviator

Does anyone know what is going on with the bus depot on Sir Alf / Constantine Road?

A "well-placed source" :) told me the club were interested in that plot (to the point where they had glimpsed some plans.)

New vehicular access? Car park? Broadcast trucks?
Login to get fewer ads

Swimming pool Portman Road on 14:19 - Mar 12 with 1350 viewswrightsrightglove

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:49 - Mar 12 by Aviator

Does anyone know what is going on with the bus depot on Sir Alf / Constantine Road?

A "well-placed source" :) told me the club were interested in that plot (to the point where they had glimpsed some plans.)

There’s actually a lot of opportunity around Portman Road to allow the club to expand in various ways. The bus depot (hadn’t heard anything about this one), the tip is moving so could potentially be purchased, the council are thinking of converting some of their office space into housing so could be an option for the club to take over some of this space for offices. All on top of the old staples site and the practise pitch.

With this development, it’s exactly the kind of thing that Ipswich needs and deserves to help rejuvenate the town, but with so many let downs in the past I just can’t see the council pulling it off without outside motivation / investment.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 14:35 - Mar 12 with 1274 viewsAviator

Swimming pool Portman Road on 14:19 - Mar 12 by wrightsrightglove

There’s actually a lot of opportunity around Portman Road to allow the club to expand in various ways. The bus depot (hadn’t heard anything about this one), the tip is moving so could potentially be purchased, the council are thinking of converting some of their office space into housing so could be an option for the club to take over some of this space for offices. All on top of the old staples site and the practise pitch.

With this development, it’s exactly the kind of thing that Ipswich needs and deserves to help rejuvenate the town, but with so many let downs in the past I just can’t see the council pulling it off without outside motivation / investment.

Am I correct in thinking that these types of investment are not included in FFP?

Looking at google maps there's probably room for a brand new stadium if Alderman park was brought into play. Leicester did it, why can't we?
Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:03 - Mar 12 with 1199 viewsVegtablue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:49 - Mar 12 by Aviator

Where would the buses go?
Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:15 - Mar 12 with 1185 viewsBlueySwede

You mean Portland Road?
Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:28 - Mar 12 with 1153 viewshoppy

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:03 - Mar 12 by Vegtablue

Where would the buses go?

On the bus lane in West End Road? It's not used for much else.

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:29 - Mar 12 with 1142 viewsGeoffSentence

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:28 - Mar 12 by hoppy

On the bus lane in West End Road? It's not used for much else.

I use it.

It makes a terrific cycle lane, especially as there are not even any buses to worry about.

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:38 - Mar 12 with 1111 viewsVegtablue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:29 - Mar 12 by GeoffSentence

I use it.

It makes a terrific cycle lane, especially as there are not even any buses to worry about.

Yes you can't be blocking up Geoff's cycle lane.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:40 - Mar 12 with 1105 viewshoppy

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:38 - Mar 12 by Vegtablue

Euphemism?

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:46 - Mar 12 with 1080 viewsGeoffSentence

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:38 - Mar 12 by Vegtablue

It does feel like my own personal lane, to the point that I feel midly annoyed if there's another cyclist in it.

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:57 - Mar 12 with 1036 viewsVegtablue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 15:40 - Mar 12 by hoppy

Euphemism?

Rarely used but able to accommodate a fleet of Ipswich buses? It does sound like Geoff should be asked before they go sticking them in there. Swimming pool first.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:27 - Mar 12 with 978 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:14 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

To your cynicism point, there is a hospital in Ely which is having a multi-storey carpark built as part of a multi-million pound new health centre to stop people having to travel to Addenbrookes in Cambridge.

They have just announced (to staff on the project), they don't have the money to build the entrance ramp or to install the lighting so it can't be opened.

They also asked after construction had started to reduce from 4 to 3 floors, which wasn't structurally possible.

So even if spades are in the ground, money for council/Govt funded things are still an absolute sh*tshow

I know someone who helped design the new aircraft carriers. Apparently they were asked to make them cheaper really late in the design process to save money. He had to point out that would require a total redesign at huge cost.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:37 - Mar 12 with 945 viewsSheffordBlue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:14 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

With your example is that due to funding being withdrawn/reduced or due to projects over-running on costs. The latter seems to be a British problem for any large scale project regardless of whether it is government funded or not. We just seem to be totally unable to deliver large projects on budget.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:46 - Mar 12 with 910 viewsHelp

Swimming pool Portman Road on 10:09 - Mar 12 by ITFC_Forever

They should bring back the Easy Rider.

£8 for the whole summer - unlimited travel between 9am and 6pm on the Ipswich buses, and free admission to Broom Hill, the pitch & putts at Chantry and Bourne Parks and some activities at the sports centres.

TWTD
Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:47 - Mar 12 with 910 viewsThe_Major

I've said this several times, but I do suspect Portman Road itself will be pedestrianised anyway between the Sir Alf statue and the access to Churchmans Lofts. Even before they stuck the planters at the Princes Street end, not that many people used it.

Before Barrack Corner was blocked off, you'd have used it to get from Norwich Road to the station and Chantry, but obviously these days you'd use Chevallier Street/Yarmouth Road/West End Road or Civic Drive.

Unless there's a huge demand from people wanting to visit Benezet Street or something.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 17:11 - Mar 12 with 863 viewsNthQldITFC

Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:27 - Mar 12 by Charlie_pl_baxter

I know someone who helped design the new aircraft carriers. Apparently they were asked to make them cheaper really late in the design process to save money. He had to point out that would require a total redesign at huge cost.

They achieved it by swapping the F-35s out for good old Swordfish at the last minute.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Swimming pool Portman Road on 18:27 - Mar 12 with 793 viewsArnieM

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:59 - Mar 12 by hype313

Where are all those people going to park? you know, the one's that are quite happy to mow down the pedestrians to gain an extra few yards after a game.

It includes a multi storey car park, innit.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Swimming pool Portman Road on 18:34 - Mar 12 with 784 viewsChurchman

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:27 - Mar 12 by Keno

Swimming towards adversity?

Maybe we’ll stop shipping so many goals.

I’ll get my coat….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024