Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointed by McKenna 06:14 - May 23 with 5630 viewsBlue_Heath

Looking back over last month or so they were hints he could leave (Davis on SKY after final game saying he hopes the manager stays, some of Ashton's and his own comments) and now it is blindingly obvious he will.

On the one hand I am eternally grateful for two marvellous seasons and getting us back to where we belong but on the other very disappointed he won't even give us one season in the premier league.

Wherever he ends up he is going to learn a lot next season and it will be interesting to see how he handles losing streaks if at Brighton, something he has not had to worry about here. Also will be interesting to see how he handles the board, as I understand it he had a say in most things here that won't be the case at a Brighton or Chelsea.

Whilst the short term gain for McKenna will be huge he surely has to consider the longevity of managing either Chelsea or Brighton or is he a career chaser moving on when his stock is at its highest? My guess would be he'd last no longer than 18 months at either club. Where does he go from there?

Personally if he stays and takes us down finishing bottom I don't think many fans or the board would want him gone.

The big worry is where do we go from here? Let's be honest the euphoria of going up has had as good a feel factor as I can recall in my 50 year lifetime. We are now caught between someone trying to be McKenna mkII with same team or ripping team up and starting again. Either way I have big doubts that will get us 40 points next season.

I hope Potter would come to us when McKenna leaves and be able to do what he did at Brighton but fear he may have better offers. Cooper I like but he does have huge losing streaks in him and Edwards of Luton has done well this year but can't see what he'd be able to differently to keep us up if I am honest. That said hopefully I hope Ashton can unearth another gem.

I am now totally fed up with all the speculation and more importantly the fact we are losing valuable time to plan for next season when we don't know who is going to be in charge. Thanks for the memories McKenna either sign the new contract or go quickly please.
Disappointed by McKenna on 08:16 - May 23 with 1076 viewsLibero

Disappointed by McKenna on 06:39 - May 23 by unbelievablue

Dollers, it's a joke.

It flew right past me, read just as any of the other bedwetting going on- apologies for the downvote!
Disappointed by McKenna on 08:22 - May 23 with 1038 viewspointofblue

Disappointed by McKenna on 07:17 - May 23 by chicoazul

This is such nonsense. Managers in the 70sand early 80s earned on a par with a doctor or senior barrister, they had mortgages. McKenna will get a 4m a year for 3 years contract when he leaves. Apples and oranges.

In fairness, Town are supposedly going to be offering him £5m a year. If he goes I don't think it will be for financial reasons.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:25 - May 23 with 1010 viewsReuser_is_God

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:16 - May 23 by Libero

It flew right past me, read just as any of the other bedwetting going on- apologies for the downvote!

Oh look, the David McGoldrick fan club is back.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:25 - May 23 with 1009 viewsbackinbeige

I won’t be disappointed by him if he goes.

I sincerely hope he doesn’t, but he’s achieved a hell of a lot here. He has a massive chance of career progression with clubs actively offering him jobs. Who wouldn’t take that in their own career?

There’s a huge risk in staying- manager’s reputations are rarely enhanced in relegation struggles or actual relegation. Football clubs often dispense with their managers quickly (although I’d like to think we’d wait a little longer than most).

He seems like a decent person, he’s being rewarded for being talented. I’m extremely grateful he is (/was) with us for the time he is (/was).

It’s all entirely understandable. There’s no need to add over wrought emotions.
[Post edited 23 May 8:27]

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:32 - May 23 with 973 viewspointofblue

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:25 - May 23 by backinbeige

I sincerely hope he doesn’t, but he’s achieved a hell of a lot here. He has a massive chance of career progression with clubs actively offering him jobs. Who wouldn’t take that in their own career?

There’s a huge risk in staying- manager’s reputations are rarely enhanced in relegation struggles or actual relegation. Football clubs often dispense with their managers quickly (although I’d like to think we’d wait a little longer than most).

He seems like a decent person, he’s being rewarded for being talented. I’m extremely grateful he is (/was) with us for the time he is (/was).

On your third paragraph, I'd hope we'd promise we not to sack him whatever happens on the pitch next season.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:34 - May 23 with 966 viewsHerbivore

On your third paragraph, Kompany is about to get the Bayern Munich gig.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:42 - May 23 with 933 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Disappointed by McKenna on 06:33 - May 23 by unbelievablue

You won, Keiran. Enjoy the money, I hope it makes you happy. Dear lord, what a sad little life, Keiran. You ruined my club completely so you could have the money and I hope now you can spend it on lessons in grace and decorum. Because you have all the grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres on. So Keiran, take your money and get off my property.

-10.... wow.

I'm disappointed in society.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:51 - May 23 with 915 viewsLibero

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:25 - May 23 by Reuser_is_God

Oh look, the David McGoldrick fan club is back.

Teddy Bishop is back to full fitness next month!
Login to get fewer ads

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:53 - May 23 with 892 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:42 - May 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

-10.... wow.

You're disappointed we're not all addicted to TV/social media memes?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:57 - May 23 with 865 viewsSitfcB

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:42 - May 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

-10.... wow.

It is a sensitive subject I suppose

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:03 - May 23 with 851 viewsBlueBadger

Disappointed by McKenna on 07:03 - May 23 by Herbivore

When did publicly wetting yourself become so fashionable? Seems to be rife currently.

I blame Frmmers. A load of sad sacks saw how much 'engagement' he got for endless bad faith hot takes and decided to join in.
[Post edited 23 May 9:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:05 - May 23 with 837 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:03 - May 23 by BlueBadger

I blame Frmmers. A load of sad sacks saw how much 'engagement' he got for endless bad faith hot takes and decided to join in.
[Post edited 23 May 9:18]

Poor old Frimmers isn't even the biggest bedwetter anymore.

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:17 - May 23 with 797 viewsBlueBadger

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:05 - May 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Poor old Frimmers isn't even the biggest bedwetter anymore.

It happens to them all. Once upon a time, Blueas was the hottest thing around here, and now he's like the TWTD equivalent of Ricky Gervais.

Only it's the Ricky Gervais of today and not 20 years ago.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:18 - May 23 with 794 viewsbackinbeige

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:34 - May 23 by Herbivore

On your third paragraph, Kompany is about to get the Bayern Munich gig.

That’s a good point, but it seems to be the exception that proves the rule

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:19 - May 23 with 784 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:17 - May 23 by BlueBadger

It happens to them all. Once upon a time, Blueas was the hottest thing around here, and now he's like the TWTD equivalent of Ricky Gervais.

Only it's the Ricky Gervais of today and not 20 years ago.

Lets not mention your Lambert problems......your deep psychological problems
Disappointed by McKenna on 09:20 - May 23 with 780 viewsrkc123

I wouldn't hold it against him if he went and definitely appreciate all he has done for us, but I think in a strange way it would show a lack of faith in himself if he goes now.

I think as long as we give a good account of ourselves this year his reputation couldn't be damaged by staying. Even if we went down, our squad is unlikely to be prem standard by the end of the window, and such quick progression would always be a challenge. However if he stays and we stay up, perhaps even finish comfortably away from the relegation scrap (something I genuinely think we will do if he stays) his reputation goes to a completely new level.

In reality he's had one outstanding season, we know how good he was in league one, but from the outside we had the most resources and best squad in the league, not getting promoted that year would really have been viewed as a big failure. I think there's a real risk for him that if he moves on to a massive new challenge like Man U or Chelsea this summer and it doesn't work out, he ends up the next Potter in that sort of no man's land of struggling to find clubs that he wants/want him.
[Post edited 23 May 9:23]
Disappointed by McKenna on 09:22 - May 23 with 759 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Disappointed by McKenna on 08:53 - May 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're disappointed we're not all addicted to TV/social media memes?

Yes. Very dissapointed.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:25 - May 23 with 736 viewsartsbossbeard

Disappointed by McKenna on 06:50 - May 23 by unbelievablue

Place does seem to have descended into flounce city.

Even if he goes he'll have done nothing wrong in my book. I couldn't begrudge him it, and as I said to a mate yesterday, I'd 100% have done a deal with the devil 3 years ago for back to back promotions the way we did it with the manager departing afterwards.

Caught a few big ones this morning.

Well played.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:27 - May 23 with 706 viewsSwailsey

Disappointed by McKenna on 06:33 - May 23 by unbelievablue

You won, Keiran. Enjoy the money, I hope it makes you happy. Dear lord, what a sad little life, Keiran. You ruined my club completely so you could have the money and I hope now you can spend it on lessons in grace and decorum. Because you have all the grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres on. So Keiran, take your money and get off my property.

Excellent whooshing. Abuse reported now too. People are losing it.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:33 - May 23 with 659 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:22 - May 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Yes. Very dissapointed.

I'm sorry. I might've been out at a gig, or having dinner, or walking in nature when that was doing the rounds. My bad.

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:36 - May 23 with 633 viewsRyorry

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:27 - May 23 by Swailsey

Excellent whooshing. Abuse reported now too. People are losing it.

It was me who reported abuse, as any right-minded Town fan reading such a load of sick misrepresentation of KM would if they weren't aware of some TV show or other or meme they'd never seen.

This is an open public forum read by people all over the world who aren't even necessarily Town fans, let alone aware of some British TV programme or other, or meme. I didn't think our Admins would want such (on the face of it) abuse to be openly displayed, as they're always telling us to report it if we see. So I did. (Only later saw that Gav had actually seen (& downvoted) it!).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:42 - May 23 with 617 viewsbackinbeige

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:20 - May 23 by rkc123

I wouldn't hold it against him if he went and definitely appreciate all he has done for us, but I think in a strange way it would show a lack of faith in himself if he goes now.

I think as long as we give a good account of ourselves this year his reputation couldn't be damaged by staying. Even if we went down, our squad is unlikely to be prem standard by the end of the window, and such quick progression would always be a challenge. However if he stays and we stay up, perhaps even finish comfortably away from the relegation scrap (something I genuinely think we will do if he stays) his reputation goes to a completely new level.

In reality he's had one outstanding season, we know how good he was in league one, but from the outside we had the most resources and best squad in the league, not getting promoted that year would really have been viewed as a big failure. I think there's a real risk for him that if he moves on to a massive new challenge like Man U or Chelsea this summer and it doesn't work out, he ends up the next Potter in that sort of no man's land of struggling to find clubs that he wants/want him.
[Post edited 23 May 9:23]

Your point about him having one decent season is a good one. Perhaps a bit harsh - and it was one extremely good season - but I take it.

I don't think it would show a lack of faith in himself if he leaves. The timing, unfortunately for us, makes sense. The step up from EFL to Premier League is significantly different from League One to Championship. Both represent a jump, but this one is bigger. So from cold, hard logic, if he was to act in total self-interest, and he is an ambitious manager, moving to a more established Premier League club now unfortunately makes sense.

Yet trying to exert control over a club like Chelsea is as much of a challenge as keeping a promoted Championship team up. It’s just a different challenge. He’ll have to back himself to move there, which wouldn’t be a lack of faith in himself.

Brighton might be a bit of an easier ride. Things are a bit smoother, they seem to embrace ‘modern methods’ as much as Kieran so he’d fit in. They already have a lot of the infrastructure that we would be looking to build.

One of the biggest criticisms you can tell a football fan is that your club “isn’t a big club”. Cue a domino effect of middle-aged men holding the back of their hands to their foreheads and swooning backwards. Historic achievements, recent achievements, brand, revenues, perceived fanbase and regular attendance goes into this magical algorithm that determines who is a ‘big club’.

Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, etc are big clubs.

Doncaster Rovers is a small club. Deal with that savage burn, Donnie fans.

We are a medium club.

Brighton are also a medium club. But they’re better positioned to break into the ‘big club’ tier than we are. They have the Premier League infrastructure and stability. They already have a Premier League squad and solid ownership. Perhaps they underachieved last season, perhaps they were par, but there’s headroom to grow into.

It may show a lack of faith if Kieran went there, but for me the lack of faith is outweighed by good, clear, rational thinking.

I really don’t want him to go. I really don’t. Kieran, if you’re reading this: Obviously Ipswich is the best place to achieve all of the wildest dreams in your managerial career.

But the original mad question in this thread is if you'd be 'disappointed in him' if he were to go, which I wouldn't be. If he does go it would be a huge setback for us, but I’d get it.
[Post edited 23 May 9:46]

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:48 - May 23 with 587 viewsLibero

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:36 - May 23 by Ryorry

It was me who reported abuse, as any right-minded Town fan reading such a load of sick misrepresentation of KM would if they weren't aware of some TV show or other or meme they'd never seen.

This is an open public forum read by people all over the world who aren't even necessarily Town fans, let alone aware of some British TV programme or other, or meme. I didn't think our Admins would want such (on the face of it) abuse to be openly displayed, as they're always telling us to report it if we see. So I did. (Only later saw that Gav had actually seen (& downvoted) it!).

Nice to know that some things never change :')
Disappointed by McKenna on 09:51 - May 23 with 574 viewsLibero

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:25 - May 23 by artsbossbeard

Caught a few big ones this morning.

Well played.

Absolutely done me like a kipper, what's worse is I know the reference, he caught me cold on my return- I'll be back up to match fitness within the week.
Disappointed by McKenna on 09:56 - May 23 with 529 viewsRyorry

Disappointed by McKenna on 09:48 - May 23 by Libero

Nice to know that some things never change :')

I thought you said you had :')

Poll: Time of the annunciation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024