Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football under Burley 18:22 - Jan 12 with 3413 viewsBramidan

Yes I am an old boy, does anybody remerber the style of play we had under Burley?
Tight triangles, nobody isolated, pass always on. No "stars" in the team.
With success we splashed out on that bloke who had a fabulous World Cup, can't remember his name.
Nobody knew how old he was, he didn't either.
We then started to bang the ball at him because he was the star and would unlock defences, absolute disaster.
I read about modern "systems " but would it be a big ask to return to a compact game with a ready pass available and if you lose possession nobody is isolated?
Why have we made the game so complicated?
Football under Burley on 19:01 - Jan 12 with 2693 viewsOxford_Blue

At its best it was lovely to watch.

However, too often we were outmuscled and bullied by teams in the play offs and we lacked the fighters at times. Three successive play off defeats were gutting.

Also, Burley’s style got found out in the second premiership season.
Football under Burley on 19:05 - Jan 12 with 2678 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We signed Finidi in 2001. His 'fabulous world cup' was probably at least 3 years prior to that!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Football under Burley on 19:06 - Jan 12 with 2672 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Football under Burley on 19:01 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

However, too often we were outmuscled and bullied by teams in the play offs and we lacked the fighters at times. Three successive play off defeats were gutting.

That's a very glass half empty view of burleys time... or probably someone who has no glass at all!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Football under Burley on 19:10 - Jan 12 with 2646 viewsdavblue

Being bullied by teams was an exception rather than the norm in that era.

The football we played was fantastic, i remember games where we were camped in peoples half Home or away.
Football under Burley on 19:10 - Jan 12 with 2638 viewsMullet

Football under Burley on 19:05 - Jan 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

We signed Finidi in 2001. His 'fabulous world cup' was probably at least 3 years prior to that!

Confused him with Karic there I'll wager.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Football under Burley on 19:14 - Jan 12 with 2645 viewsSlambo

It's funny, I remember vividly from the time how good a footballing side we were, and yet when you watch highlights from the period you could see how direct we could be. Perfect balance of finesse and brawn. What a team that was. If only we could have had it 10 years later, the club could've got the benefit of the PL megabucks the sh1te up the road got...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Football under Burley on 19:15 - Jan 12 with 2614 viewshampstead_blue

That was with Holland and Magic in CM.

Those were the days indeed. What I'd give to have either now......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Football under Burley on 19:29 - Jan 12 with 2592 viewsSwansea_Blue

We didn’t get found out in the second season; the squad was unsettled by the new arrivals and we lost the togetherness that was key to going up and the first good season. That’s been well covered by a few players from that time. Burley too I think.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Football under Burley on 19:46 - Jan 12 with 2548 viewsoneoffposter

For me that 2nd season Disaster in the prem was Above all down to Mart Poom failing his medical - if he signed we stay up - panic buying Sereni caused big problems as he was on big bucks and liked to tell people by a few accounts not discounting his dodgy keeping

Always remember we were on fire over Xmas 2-0 up a Charlton and Sereni had a stinker and we lost 3-2 and u could see the defenders had no confidence in him

Than Marshall played and I need say no more
Football under Burley on 19:48 - Jan 12 with 2523 viewsGerkensBeard

Stop talking about styles of play then don’t win you games 😬😬😬
Football under Burley on 19:57 - Jan 12 with 2463 viewsjeera

The Times;

"George Burley's team can pass and move in their sleep".

That was how people saw us, that's how we played.

As for the Championship comparison; two different leagues, two different types of approach to deal with.

Burley did just fine.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Football under Burley on 20:06 - Jan 12 with 2423 viewsGarv

Football under Burley on 19:46 - Jan 12 by oneoffposter

For me that 2nd season Disaster in the prem was Above all down to Mart Poom failing his medical - if he signed we stay up - panic buying Sereni caused big problems as he was on big bucks and liked to tell people by a few accounts not discounting his dodgy keeping

Always remember we were on fire over Xmas 2-0 up a Charlton and Sereni had a stinker and we lost 3-2 and u could see the defenders had no confidence in him

Than Marshall played and I need say no more

I didn't know that. Poom was a brilliant keeper.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Football under Burley on 20:08 - Jan 12 with 2413 viewsitfcjoe

Football under Burley on 19:14 - Jan 12 by Slambo

It's funny, I remember vividly from the time how good a footballing side we were, and yet when you watch highlights from the period you could see how direct we could be. Perfect balance of finesse and brawn. What a team that was. If only we could have had it 10 years later, the club could've got the benefit of the PL megabucks the sh1te up the road got...

Sounds like a Bobby Robson team too from what I’ve seen. If they wanted a game of football we’d beat them at football, if they wanted a fight we’d beat them in a fight

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Football under Burley on 20:09 - Jan 12 with 2402 viewsSteve_D

Football under Burley on 19:29 - Jan 12 by Swansea_Blue

We didn’t get found out in the second season; the squad was unsettled by the new arrivals and we lost the togetherness that was key to going up and the first good season. That’s been well covered by a few players from that time. Burley too I think.

Marcus Stewart,s broken jaw didn't help either
Football under Burley on 20:09 - Jan 12 with 2394 viewsYallop

Football under Burley on 19:10 - Jan 12 by davblue

The football we played was fantastic, i remember games where we were camped in peoples half Home or away.

Lets not re write history. We were powder puff for his first few seasons in charge. Bullied.
Football under Burley on 20:18 - Jan 12 with 2364 viewsBramidan

Football under Burley on 19:15 - Jan 12 by hampstead_blue

That was with Holland and Magic in CM.

Those were the days indeed. What I'd give to have either now......

My point is that neither of these players were "stars" the team and the style of play made them, yes might just have been coincidence.
All I am asking, is it to much to ask to emulate that style of play?
We are not Man City but surely short passing, players making themselves available to receive the ball and pass it on and run into space, is not to much to ask is it?
Does that satisfy the call to be "technical"
Football under Burley on 20:32 - Jan 12 with 2326 viewsstonojnr

Allardyce wouldnt have set his team up to play the way they did in the playoffs if we didnt have that reputation. yep play us at football and youd lose, but tackle hard,bully us, we lost those games fairly consistently, I dont know if it was Burley or the players we had, but we didnt or couldnt cope with teams who were physical
Football under Burley on 20:32 - Jan 12 with 2332 viewsSteve_M

This is a little simplistic. The hoarding of players by Premier League clubs has changed the dynamics of the entire league, those clubs also have so much money they pick up any promising young player after a couple of years. On top of that, players are fitter and there is less time on the ball in the Championship than in the late 90s let alone the time Hoddle had to ping the ball around at will back in 1992.

Yes, Burley encouraged his players to keep and use the ball but how do you think that happened if not within a system? Indeed we could generally switch from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 because the players were flexible enough to do both dependent on what the manager wanted to do.

It is a frustration that we have fewer periods of dominance, that we still lack a settled style of play after a year of Lamber but Burley's first year in charge didn't see instant success either. We were utterly weak in getting relegated in early '95 and quite erratic for much of 95-96: free scoring but defensively lax and certainly not playing with the dominance that GB's sides had from November 1997 through to the Summer of 2001.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 20:50]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Football under Burley on 20:45 - Jan 12 with 2262 viewsOxford_Blue

Sure but to what end?

It was all aimed at the premiership and we lasted two seasons. Relegation was disastrous.
Football under Burley on 20:47 - Jan 12 with 2241 viewssparks

Simply nonsensical.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Football under Burley on 20:49 - Jan 12 with 2226 viewstractorboy1978

Football under Burley on 20:18 - Jan 12 by Bramidan

My point is that neither of these players were "stars" the team and the style of play made them, yes might just have been coincidence.
All I am asking, is it to much to ask to emulate that style of play?
We are not Man City but surely short passing, players making themselves available to receive the ball and pass it on and run into space, is not to much to ask is it?
Does that satisfy the call to be "technical"

They are the two best midfielders we've had in my time supporting ITFC (started going in 1997). Magilton had played over 150 Premier League games, Holland was one of the brightest young players in the football league before signing for us and went onto make over 200 Premier league appearances after leaving us. They were far from Mickey Mouse players made to look good by a certain style.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 20:52]
Football under Burley on 20:51 - Jan 12 with 2218 viewsSteve_M

Football under Burley on 20:06 - Jan 12 by Garv

I didn't know that. Poom was a brilliant keeper.

Probably because that wasn't the case, Derby wouldn't sell Poom to us.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Football under Burley on 20:53 - Jan 12 with 2208 viewssparks

Quite. The idea that a team featuring players like Venus, Mowbray, Bramble, Hreidarrson, Wilnis, Scowcroft, Magilton etc was bullied- is just silly.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Football under Burley on 20:54 - Jan 12 with 2197 viewstractorboy1978

Football under Burley on 20:45 - Jan 12 by Oxford_Blue

Sure but to what end?

It was all aimed at the premiership and we lasted two seasons. Relegation was disastrous.

To what end? Well It was bloody enjoyable, we got promoted and then finished 5th in the Premier League and a campaign in Europe, beating Inter Milan at PR along the way.
Football under Burley on 20:56 - Jan 12 with 2187 viewsjeera

Football under Burley on 20:53 - Jan 12 by sparks

Quite. The idea that a team featuring players like Venus, Mowbray, Bramble, Hreidarrson, Wilnis, Scowcroft, Magilton etc was bullied- is just silly.

Exactly.

It's completely made up.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024