Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch 01:15 - Mar 22 with 5165 viewspointofblue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2BD0RZ

Doesn't look good for a restrictions to be lifted here but would we better off in the long term letting the EU catch up? Politically this is hardly going to help matters between London and Brussels - and there is the Pfizer warning the UK government could block components in a tit-for-tat response.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 01:28 - Mar 22 with 2776 viewsJ2BLUE

They've been completely outmanoeuvred by the UK, both on speed and being one step ahead.

With that said, I can see why they are resorting to those tactics. They aren't getting any produced in the UK and have a vastly bigger population so to keep sending them over here would be pretty damaging for them.

I think if we were still in and a country like France was in our position most of the nation would be 100% onboard with not sending them vaccines whether it's a breach of contract or not.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 01:36 - Mar 22 with 2766 viewspointofblue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 01:28 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

They've been completely outmanoeuvred by the UK, both on speed and being one step ahead.

With that said, I can see why they are resorting to those tactics. They aren't getting any produced in the UK and have a vastly bigger population so to keep sending them over here would be pretty damaging for them.

I think if we were still in and a country like France was in our position most of the nation would be 100% onboard with not sending them vaccines whether it's a breach of contract or not.

The problem is they have millions of does in storage unused because of the temporary ban coupled with the vaccine doubts which their own politicians have created. The block also seems to revolve around a factory which does not have clearance to distribute to the EU yet so there will be more doses hanging around doing nothing rather than being injected into arms.

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:37 - Mar 22 with 2663 viewsStokieBlue

According to this analysis, stopping exports to the UK will only bring forward the completion date of the EU vaccination programme by 1 week whilst it will delay the UK's by 2 months due to the disparity in population sizes.

They are only hurting themselves with this move because as you've said, it's best that everyone gets vaccinated as quickly as possible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/eu-export-ban-would-delay-uk-covid

Also worth noting that their predictions are optimistic, there are still huge swathes of people in the EU who don't want the vaccine, it was nearly 50% in France although I am unsure of the latest figures.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:48 - Mar 22 with 2633 viewsGuthrum

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 01:36 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

The problem is they have millions of does in storage unused because of the temporary ban coupled with the vaccine doubts which their own politicians have created. The block also seems to revolve around a factory which does not have clearance to distribute to the EU yet so there will be more doses hanging around doing nothing rather than being injected into arms.

Conducting international diplomacy via angry media statement does not help, either.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:58 - Mar 22 with 2615 viewsFtnfwest

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:37 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

According to this analysis, stopping exports to the UK will only bring forward the completion date of the EU vaccination programme by 1 week whilst it will delay the UK's by 2 months due to the disparity in population sizes.

They are only hurting themselves with this move because as you've said, it's best that everyone gets vaccinated as quickly as possible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/eu-export-ban-would-delay-uk-covid

Also worth noting that their predictions are optimistic, there are still huge swathes of people in the EU who don't want the vaccine, it was nearly 50% in France although I am unsure of the latest figures.

SB

From what i've seen here apparently 95% of the over 65's have had the jab which is good news. Seem to remember that in the early days of the rollout in Europe that the take up, certainly in France, was only going to be 55% which is worrying because that was before the various 'botch-ups' over communications over AZ.
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:07 - Mar 22 with 2600 viewsGuthrum

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:58 - Mar 22 by Ftnfwest

From what i've seen here apparently 95% of the over 65's have had the jab which is good news. Seem to remember that in the early days of the rollout in Europe that the take up, certainly in France, was only going to be 55% which is worrying because that was before the various 'botch-ups' over communications over AZ.

Spoke to a friend in Berlin yesterday who said that Germany has only first-dosed about 14% of their adult population, as opposed to getting on for half in the UK.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:09 - Mar 22 with 2587 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:07 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

Spoke to a friend in Berlin yesterday who said that Germany has only first-dosed about 14% of their adult population, as opposed to getting on for half in the UK.

My uncle is in his 70’s and lives just outside of Cologne. He has yet to be vaccinated.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:12 - Mar 22 with 2578 viewsbluelagos

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:09 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

My uncle is in his 70’s and lives just outside of Cologne. He has yet to be vaccinated.

You got a date yet?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:25 - Mar 22 with 2564 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The Bloc dallied as Macron was insistent they buy from a French firm, meanwhile the UK govt provided finding and support and asked the Pharma companies, labs etc whay do you need (including an Anglo French company with a facility in Scotland). In essence the EU is now trying to que jump following its own dithering and as any self respecting Brit knows to que jump is a crime of unparrelled evil.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:28 - Mar 22 with 2545 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:12 - Mar 22 by bluelagos

You got a date yet?

Yes. Got a letter on Saturday inviting me to be vaccinated tomorrow.

Iron Lion Zion

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 08:54 - Mar 22 with 2496 viewsBasuco

The worrying part of this is that a war of words in public media will help no-one, although it was inevitable that there would be a shortage of vaccines but the UK did jump a step ahead by prioritising and fast tracking the usual slow approval process. Any vaccine war will not help us or the EU so hopefully concessions will be made on both sides.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 8:55]
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:01 - Mar 22 with 2484 viewsitfcjoe

Hopefully she stands by her word....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:02 - Mar 22 with 2471 viewsitfcjoe

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 07:37 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Even worse now Stokie...

https://www.politico.eu/article/trust-oxford-astrazeneca-coronavirus-vaccine-wan

🇫🇷: An unbelievable 61 percent of people in France now think the AZ vaccine is unsafe, up 18 percentage points on February. Only 23 percent think it is safe, down 10 points.

🇩🇪: 55 percent of Germans think the AZ jab is unsafe, up 15 points on February. Just 32 percent say it is safe, down 11 points.

🇪🇸: In Spain, 52 percent say it’s unsafe, up 27 points. 38 percent say it’s safe, down 21 points.

🇮🇹: 43 percent of Italians say it’s unsafe, up 27 points on last month. 36 percent say it’s safe, down 18 points.

🇬🇧: There is also some evidence that the EU/AZ row has weakened confidence in the vaccine in Britain, although to a much lesser extent. 77 percent of Britons think the AZ vaccine is safe, down 4 points on February. 9 percent say it is unsafe, up four points.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:03 - Mar 22 with 2469 viewsStokieBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:01 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

There is a massive out in that though:

She will just say AZ aren't fulfilling their responsibilities (she may have a point) and thus they can withhold the vaccine.

SB

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:08 - Mar 22 with 2440 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's really important to 'win the race' and then sit around for months (years?) while we wait for everyone else to catch up, apparently. People's political futures are on the line don't you know.

A flippant reply maybe, but ultimately the lag in other countries (and those in the EU are far from the worse) will have a major impact on what we can do. Obviously it's good that we vaccine as many people as quickly as possible, but hopefully everyone can be more grown up about it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:18 - Mar 22 with 2417 viewsSteve_M

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:03 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

She will just say AZ aren't fulfilling their responsibilities (she may have a point) and thus they can withhold the vaccine.

SB

This is where the UK spending the last five years reducing goodwill in the EU towards us has not been a good strategy. Lots of playing to voters prejudices from both the UK and various EU states here, notable that India's own self-interest, but highly justifiable decision, hasn't been met with the same media angst.

van der Layden is also an idiot who shoots off verbally which doesn't help.

Vaccine nationalism is going to help no one, the supply chains are too integrated and a race to the bottom will be a mess. It' going to need high rates across more than odd countries to reduce the prevalence of future waves.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:51 - Mar 22 with 2350 viewsMookamoo

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:03 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Is that still the case? - I've lost track. Are the EU waiting on UK produced vaccines?
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:56 - Mar 22 with 2343 viewsWD19

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:51 - Mar 22 by Mookamoo

Is that still the case? - I've lost track. Are the EU waiting on UK produced vaccines?

As I understand it the EU have got a sub-optimal contract with AZ that talks about 'best efforts' (or similar).

So they think AZ should be supplying them with x, but contractually AZ are probably well covered in a court of law.

So basically what is 'contractual' will be decided by the courts in about 3 years time. In the meantime different people will continue to have a different interpretation of what contractual obligations exist.

So the statement is worthless.
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 2338 viewsStokieBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:51 - Mar 22 by Mookamoo

Don't think that matters.

Their point is that if AZ aren't meeting what they feel (and that is the important bit) are their contractual obligations to the EU because they are exporting outside the EU then they will just keep those vaccines.

SB

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:02 - Mar 22 with 2327 viewsRegencyBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:01 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I wouldn’t bet on it!

This woman is serially incompetent. She was the German defence minister under who the German armed forces were left virtually unable to function.

The current vaccine argument is classic diversion tactics, as soon as she is called to account for the shambles around the EUs vaccination programme she starts it up again!
Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:10 - Mar 22 with 2299 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:02 - Mar 22 by RegencyBlue

I wouldn’t bet on it!

This woman is serially incompetent. She was the German defence minister under who the German armed forces were left virtually unable to function.

The current vaccine argument is classic diversion tactics, as soon as she is called to account for the shambles around the EUs vaccination programme she starts it up again!

The words used by Macron and Merkel will cost thousands of lives.

Iron Lion Zion

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:38 - Mar 22 with 2237 viewspointofblue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 09:08 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

It's really important to 'win the race' and then sit around for months (years?) while we wait for everyone else to catch up, apparently. People's political futures are on the line don't you know.

A flippant reply maybe, but ultimately the lag in other countries (and those in the EU are far from the worse) will have a major impact on what we can do. Obviously it's good that we vaccine as many people as quickly as possible, but hopefully everyone can be more grown up about it.

I think it’s more than political though; the sooner the populace is vaccinated the sooner governments can open the economy fully.

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:41 - Mar 22 with 2227 viewsPinewoodblue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:02 - Mar 22 by RegencyBlue

I wouldn’t bet on it!

She is a failed politician and should never have been given the job.

She is currently engaging in distraction tactics, a dangerous option as think we all know Bojo is a Willie waver and likely to respond in an unhelpful way.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 11:00 - Mar 22 with 2185 viewsclive_baker

I'm a bit lost. If what Matt Hancock was saying last week is true (lol) then the manufacturers would be going back on their contracts not to supply the UK with vaccines that we ordered. I assume the EU can block them being exported to the UK, but presumably, that doesn't mean the EU gets the vaccine? It just means our vaccine is sat there and we can't get it back? I don't know how the EU can demand that manufacturers go back on contractual agreements.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 11:03 - Mar 22 with 2175 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vaccine Wars is going up a notch on 10:38 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

I think it’s more than political though; the sooner the populace is vaccinated the sooner governments can open the economy fully.

Absolutely. And it requires all countries to be vaccinated, so there's no benefit having a vaccine 'war' to try and be the first. We'll have to wait for the others to catch up anyway (although obviously once our own population is vaccinated that helps domestically).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024