Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game 09:49 - May 30 with 3459 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Looking to see what stadiums are worth doing in the future based off experiences...

I’ll start

Olympiastadion - Hertha Berlin.

Saw Hertha vs Bayern. Great stadium. Good atmosphere behind the goal too. Definitely a worthy experience.

Another one is the Estadio do Dragao - Porto’s stadium (where CL final was last night).

Saw Portugal vs Netherlands for the nations league final. Another great ground.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:51 - May 30 with 2071 views26_Paz

Not very exotic but Ibrox

The Paz Man

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:58 - May 30 with 2033 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Think I've only done the Nou Camp.

But love being high up with no roof and looking out over the Barcelona sky line.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:58 - May 30 with 2028 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fenerbahce. Mental.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:59 - May 30 with 2030 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Charleroi - 2000. England v Germany. Went on a massive bender for 3 days in Brussels before and after, sat with Alan Curbishley until 01:00 the morning after chatting crap. Super time away.

Man City v Liverpool 1988 Maine Road - As a guest of the Man City sponsors at the time, I spent more time buzzing around the Liverpool players (Barnes, Beardsley et al) getting autographs and fully ignored the City team and their hosts. How things have changed.

White Hart Lane, for THAT Yallop goal. Was positioned close to Sugars children (a worse bunch you would not wish to meet) - possibly my favourite ground that one. Atmosphere where I was seated was very muted and the noise from the town fans was incredible.
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 10:24 - May 30 with 1989 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:58 - May 30 by Swansea_Blue

Fenerbahce. Mental.

Who were they playing?

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 10:37 - May 30 with 1971 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 10:24 - May 30 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Who were they playing?

Can't remember now tbh. It was in their domestic cup semi final, with Fenerbahçe winning after ET and pens. It was back when Dirk Kuyt was playing for them. It wasn't a particularly full stadium, but it was still a fun evening.

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 11:02 - May 30 with 1950 viewsTractorCam

The Nou Camp, it's my favourite ground and not sure that will ever be topped. I sat middle tier behind the goal, perfect view.

The San Siro is also incredible, and the Olympiastadion like you mention for it's uniqueness. Dortmund is good just to check out the yellow wall, it really is as big as you can imagine.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:28 - May 30 with 1874 viewsCrock

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 10:37 - May 30 by Swansea_Blue

Can't remember now tbh. It was in their domestic cup semi final, with Fenerbahçe winning after ET and pens. It was back when Dirk Kuyt was playing for them. It wasn't a particularly full stadium, but it was still a fun evening.

Eskisehirspor

Poll: Favourite number?

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:29 - May 30 with 1870 viewsbenrhyddingblue

La Bombonera - lucky enough to see Boca Jrs twice here
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:30 - May 30 with 1876 viewsPhilTWTD

Luhzniki in Moscow was very impressive. Part of a sports village so other venues around it as well.

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:31 - May 30 with 1860 viewschrismakin

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:30 - May 30 by PhilTWTD

Luhzniki in Moscow was very impressive. Part of a sports village so other venues around it as well.

Nice preview of the new ITFC stadium in 2035

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:44 - May 30 with 1844 viewssolemio

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:58 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Think I've only done the Nou Camp.

But love being high up with no roof and looking out over the Barcelona sky line.

Nou Camp? Rubbish stadium Camp Nou is just wonderful.
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:01 - May 30 with 1823 viewsPlums

I would second Berlin. The history just oozes out of the place. With the remains of the Olympic park and the Sportpalast and all that went on there it’s one not to be missed. I’m also a big fan of Borussiapark at Gladbach but not the stadium, their Fanhaus is an experience that I could repeat over and over again.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:14 - May 30 with 1804 viewsgordon

Bohemians 1905 Praha at the Dolicek used to be a bit tasty, good day out if you didn't get a firework in your face.

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:33 - May 30 with 1773 viewstractordownsouth

Not for the stadium, but one of my favourite match experiences was when I went to the decisive Wales v Hungary Euros qualifer in November 2019. It was a weird situation whereby a win for either team would see them qualify in 2nd behind Croatia, but a draw would see Slovakia come through the middle and claim 2nd place as they had an easy fixture against Azerbaijan. Wales won 2-0 and it was the night of Bale's famous "Wales, Golf, Madrid" banner.

I went with a few uni mates and the only tickets we could get were next to the Hungarians. They were mostly skinheads and were getting progressively more angry as the game went on. It was quite intimidating at times. Overall it was a really good game though, I've not been to see England play before so it was my first experience of an international match and with England there are very few last day qualifiers that actually matter as we're usually through with a game or 2 to spare. I was pleased for the Welsh as it's not often they get to tournaments.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:35 - May 30 with 1767 viewsMattinLondon

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:29 - May 30 by benrhyddingblue

La Bombonera - lucky enough to see Boca Jrs twice here

I’ve seen Boca Juniors play at home as well. Absolutely mental. In comparison, English matches are sterile and plain dull.

By mental, the fans were not violent at all but the chants, the colour, the flares, the smoke bombs - brilliant.
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:47 - May 30 with 1709 viewsPendejo

Meadowbank Stadium Edinburgh
Played football there in 1989 on a day that was the hottest in Scotland for 100 years, followed by a pub crawl and then an evening's entertainment including Bay City Rollers who invited trouble between the Edinburgh and Glasgow contingents present.
This was the annual company sports day... And only time ever held in Scotland.

Never got to a game in all the time I spent in Colombia, shame on me.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:57 - May 30 with 1690 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 12:28 - May 30 by Crock

Eskisehirspor

Bless you!

Yeah, I think that might have been it.

I had an amazing experience at the Cruz Azulejo stadium in Mexico City… on 14:01 - May 30 with 1688 viewsunstableblue

…. Their big derby game against Club America

It was packed, tribal, and felt completely mental….

Pacifico beer sellers or tortillas would walk past our pen…. And you pass money via about ten people and the change and beer/food would get passed back along…. Just great times

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 14:15 - May 30 with 1668 viewsFreoTown

Optus Stadium. Perth, Western Australia.

Best new stadium in the world for my money. Have watched AFL and A League here and the atmosphere is unreal.

ForeverTown

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 14:23 - May 30 with 1658 viewsthebooks

The Estadio San Clemente (at least that’s what it was known as when I went) in Potosí in Bolivia is pretty wild, not least because it’s 4200m up in the sky.

I am just showing off, obviously, but I also saw a fantastic game there where Real Potosí were relegated after a dog on the pitch incident, a pitch invasion and consequent armed police intervention.

I’ve also seen matches at Colón and Boca Juniors in Buenos Aires, which are as crazy as you’d expect.

I’d like to see a game in Germany, somoene like Union or St Pauli.
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 14:45 - May 30 with 1638 viewsLancsBlue

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 09:58 - May 30 by Swansea_Blue

Fenerbahce. Mental.

I've been there too. UEFA Cup match v Boavista. Absolutely brilliant atmosphere.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 14:45 - May 30 with 1637 viewsbluethomas

Been to a couple of games at the Ajax Arena. Saw an Ajax game there and a Dutch national game. Wild place at times but a great experience, with a cracking atmosphere. Although a LOT of stairs.

Also been to a FC Copenhagen game at Telia Parken. Saw them play Slavia Prague in the Europa League a couple of seasons ago. Really easy stadium to get to in the city and great, if not old school, facilities.
Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 15:05 - May 30 with 1612 viewsMetal_Hacker

Has to be the San Siro and stadium tour , other than that he Camp Nou and The Amsterdam Arena

Poll: If it were one or the other

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 15:05 - May 30 with 1611 viewsDurovigutum

Favourite non-English stadiums you’ve seen a live game on 13:35 - May 30 by MattinLondon

I’ve seen Boca Juniors play at home as well. Absolutely mental. In comparison, English matches are sterile and plain dull.

By mental, the fans were not violent at all but the chants, the colour, the flares, the smoke bombs - brilliant.

This. I saw a Copa Libertadores game there and it was insane. Makes any English derby game seem like an afternoon tea party at the grandparents.

Other grounds? Maracana before refurb was a heap of junk where we got done by a steaming gang on our way out.

Friends Arena in Stockholm for the UEFA Europa League final four years back was interesting, MK Don's ground reminds me of it a bit, except Friends is 48k seats.

Nou Camp is pretty decrepit to be fair, although the Messi overhead kick made it a game to remember.

Bernabeu is "nicer" and the only place I have experienced heated stands and (this century) smoking in a stadium.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024