Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nicest ever Town players 15:11 - Jan 29 with 11159 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Bart has to be one of the nicest guys to ever play for Town.

Forget ability. Purely on having met players, most of whom have been nice enough with some absolutely nasty pieces of work thrown in, who are the ones you've come away thinking 'what an absolutely lovely bloke'.

For me it would be Bart, Mick Stockwell, Luke Chambers, Kevin Beattie, Neil Thompson, Gavin Johnson off the top of my head.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Nicest ever Town players on 15:12 - Jan 29 with 6032 viewsLeBlue

Jamie Clapham - top guy.
Nicest ever Town players on 15:17 - Jan 29 with 6023 viewsclive_baker

No comment on one of those on your list.

I was in the academy when Mogga was skipper and honestly he's an absolute hero. He went through a hard time off the pitch but such a humble bloke. Plus that header at Wembley, legend.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Nicest ever Town players on 15:24 - Jan 29 with 5976 viewsusm

Matt Holland always seemed a nice chap.

Met him in the old Boathouse in Dedham on our works xmas do many moons ago and he was very pleasant and polite.

Likewise Marcus Stewart.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Nicest ever Town players on 15:33 - Jan 29 with 5919 viewsMuncher

Holland, Stewart, Stockwell, Gavin Johnson as mentioned above.
Nicest ever Town players on 15:33 - Jan 29 with 5920 viewsskyblue23

Met Matt Holland at Oktoberfest in Colchester this year. Top bloke!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Nicest ever Town players on 15:40 - Jan 29 with 5893 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

From my experience, John Wark.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:40]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Nicest ever Town players on 15:45 - Jan 29 with 5889 viewsmo_itfc

A friend of mine works at a popular bar in Ipswich, frequented by players.
She isn't a fan of football, but says that Michael Chopra was one of the nicest she came across. Always very polite and used to help clear up glasses in the bar for them.
That suprised me!

She also really liked Jay Tabb, sounded like a good bloke.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Nicest ever Town players on 15:49 - Jan 29 with 5847 viewshomer_123

Nicest ever Town players on 15:40 - Jan 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

From my experience, John Wark.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:40]

Always happy to have a chat.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Nicest ever Town players on 15:49 - Jan 29 with 5845 viewsKTBlue

Kiwomya is a lovely man
Nicest ever Town players on 15:53 - Jan 29 with 5826 viewschicoazul

Most footballers are alright when you meet them, I met loads for work a few years back. The only one who I thought was an absolute knob was Danny Mills, who was an a-typical baldcel with a chip on both shoulders.
The nicest recent Ipswich player I know is Matt Holland for sure.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nicest ever Town players on 16:04 - Jan 29 with 5775 viewsoneoffposter

Nicest - tarricco lovely fella and Wayne brown just a genuine normal geezer

Wont name the biggest ballbag as not the thread but I found Tarricco the complete opposite to the other player we sold to spurs in the 90s
Nicest ever Town players on 16:06 - Jan 29 with 5759 viewsyorkshire

Nicest ever Town players on 15:49 - Jan 29 by KTBlue

Kiwomya is a lovely man

Yes I was going to say Kiwomya - shame we couldn't keep him at the club as part of the coaching staff
Nicest ever Town players on 16:08 - Jan 29 with 5759 viewsbahri

Kevin Beattie, Bryan Hamilton, Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen all top blokes and willing to have a chat.

redandella

Nicest ever Town players on 16:21 - Jan 29 with 5692 viewsEdmundo

Nicest ever Town players on 16:08 - Jan 29 by bahri

Kevin Beattie, Bryan Hamilton, Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen all top blokes and willing to have a chat.

Bontcho Guentchev: went to his short-lived cafe in W Kensington years ago. He was a top bloke and so happy to entertain some Town fans.
Jim Magilton was a nice bloke too: bit fiery though if you criticized the team!
I'd second Johnny Wark: still a living legend.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Nicest ever Town players on 16:24 - Jan 29 with 5680 viewsPendejo

Romeo Zondervan: had a long chat with him the First Floor Club after the Bradford game where we won 3-2 to deny them a place in the play offs, I thought he was a nice chap and very patient as I was very probably exceptionally drunk

John Wark & Alan Brazil: just after Wark had re-signed for us 2nd time, night before FA Cup game against Manure... wasn't that drunk to start with but was probably exceptionally drunk afterwards... has anyone mentioned that Brazil can drink?

The last town player I spoke to was Titus Bramble in 2000/2001 season, he pleasant enough... but that was in the car park near the old ticket office.

But probably the nicest I've spoken to was Mick Mills, but I was a kid at the time and he arranged for Mel Henderson to send me loads of memorabilia, autographs etc.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Nicest ever Town players on 16:27 - Jan 29 with 5657 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Matt Holland, top bloke. Mickey Stockwell. David Norris is a top bloke.

Paul Anderson.. spoke to him at Posh away.. lovely guy

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Nicest ever Town players on 16:30 - Jan 29 with 5652 viewsLord_Lucan

During the Royle era I met all the players in a non football enviroment over the course of around three years, I've also shared a drink with a few of the older ones.

Out of the Royle era players I would say that the vast majority were very nice men, in fact BFJ really got a great bunch together.

I think out of them Fabien Wilnis stands out, always talking about his family and how much he loved it in Ipswich. Herman was great, Matt Holland was as nice as you would expect. They were all great although Amir Karic was a bit above himself. Oh, Alun Armstrong runs Fabien a close 2nd IMHO.

Older players look no further than The Beat who was simply the Ipswich fan on the street.

Edit Gardsoes (sp) misses was a jaw dropper.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 17:05]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nicest ever Town players on 16:51 - Jan 29 with 5568 viewsIpswichKnight

Spoke to BFJ on the phone once ( work related ) he was really nice and good conversation, meet most of the team who played in Moscow against Torpedo in the airport as my flight back to Amsterdam was going at the same time as the teams flight. Matt Holland as pretty much everyone else has said was a total gent. All of the team signed my rough guide to Moscow.
Nicest ever Town players on 17:01 - Jan 29 with 5529 viewsPJH

The ex ITFC player that I have had the longest conversation with would probably be Geoff Hammond who was then at Man C.
Geoff was at Woodbridge County Primary School a year ahead of me but he was not playing for Man C then!

The conversation was in The Waggon & Horses in Woodbridge and was largely about Rodney Marsh who was then at Man C so it would be the mid 1970's.

Had brief chats with a load of players in the days when there was an annual meet the players evening for ITFC Shareholders.
Nicest ever Town players on 17:08 - Jan 29 with 5504 viewsScuzzer

We seem to have forgotten Fabian Wilnis. Top geezer
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 17:09]

Established 1968

Nicest ever Town players on 17:20 - Jan 29 with 5447 viewsDebsyAngel

Nicest ever Town players on 17:08 - Jan 29 by Scuzzer

I would said Fabian Wilnis was the nicest I ever met and was lovely signing his book for my birthday. He would also sit in the North Stand sometimes and was always decent to people. Also had a lot of time for Matt Holland and Marcus Stewart and John McGreal (had a coffee with the latter once)
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 17:21]
Nicest ever Town players on 17:31 - Jan 29 with 5408 viewsTractorCam

Holy

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nicest ever Town players on 17:33 - Jan 29 with 5393 viewsReuser_is_God

Nicest ever Town players on 17:31 - Jan 29 by TractorCam

Holy

Are they even normal?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Nicest ever Town players on 17:38 - Jan 29 with 5368 viewsTractorCam

Nicest ever Town players on 17:33 - Jan 29 by Reuser_is_God

Are they even normal?

Ha I forgot about that!

I take that back, the evil man

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nicest ever Town players on 17:43 - Jan 29 with 5348 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Nicest ever Town players on 17:08 - Jan 29 by Scuzzer

An absolute diamond, always got the feeling he felt lucky to be playing for Town and he loved the fans.

Most of the players I've met have been great, go along with everything that's been said here and I'd add Arnold Muhren who is a lovely and very intelligent man.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024