Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? 11:35 - Jan 30 with 8176 viewsGlasgowBlue

Apparently sacked by ITN for quoting Shakespeare at somebody on twitter who he disagreed with.

Trouble was the quote mentioned an ape and the person he quoted it to was black.

Apparently it's a quote he directs at everyone he believes has said something ignorant and I'm unsure whether he knew the recipient was black.

Don't think it's as black and white (excuse the pun) as the case of Danny Baker. What does TWTD think?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 11:38 - Jan 30 with 4927 viewsBlueBadger

Like Baker, he deserves a decent b0llocking for being so bloody dim as to not realise the implications of what he's saying given the context they were saying them in but not the sack. It's not like either are serial offenders like say, Clarkson or Gervais.

If I'd have done similar at work, I could probably expect a telling-off asking to think before opening my gob, 'request' to apologise and a day or two in an equality and diversity course, if I'd done something as one-off daft as this.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 12:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 11:41 - Jan 30 with 4900 viewsLord_Lucan

I confess I haven't looked into the whole thing, I just had a brief look last night when I saw the headlines.

So without really looking at it in detail my gut feeling is that Alastair Stewart is as racist as Danny Baker - ergo not racist and like Danny Baker now marked with an unfair slur that will shadow their otherwise fine career - all because of the brain dead******

******I reserve the right to do a flip if Alastair Steward turns out to be a member of the KKK
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 11:42]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 11:50 - Jan 30 with 4851 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm not surprised, but like you say, it wasn't directed at someone due to their race.

Clumsy use of social media I guess, was only going to end one way.

I dont think this kind of example does any good for genuine racist cases.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:09 - Jan 30 with 4800 viewschicoazul

But we're all apes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:11 - Jan 30 with 4772 viewsBrixtonBlue

In what way was the Danny Baker case black and white?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:58 - Jan 30 with 4693 viewsLord_Lucan

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:11 - Jan 30 by BrixtonBlue

It wasn't.

I don't think either of them see colour, they just see people. Someone mentioned on here a while ago that it was interesting that all the pundits on a football broadcast were black, Glasgow posted that he hadn't noticed and I must admit nor did I.

Ron Atkinson was black and white and despite what he said was way mental I still felt a bit for him as he is just from a different generation. My mum still insists that N**** Brown is a wool colour and my Dad (RIP) was always in a total state of confusion*** as he was bought up to say "Coloured" as "Black" was derogatory back then. He was the least racist man ever but got destroyed one Christmas by my trendy cousin because he liked Al Jolsen.

***I'm convinced that the fact he was buying his electric from British Gas and his gas from an electric company was the end of him.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 13:04 - Jan 30 with 4678 viewsRyorry

He *didn't* quote it to a black man.

It was a direct response to a *white* man, but the black man who complained that it was aimed at him didn't realise that because he himself had previously contributed to the thread, his handle was then automatically included in all subsequent replies. It was a clear misunderstanding by him, and shocking incompetence by ITN in their follow-up - obviously neither of them properly understood how twitter works, but the onus is on ITN to have someone dealing with it who is actually competent in using & understanding twitter.

Has long been a problem with twitter, with many aggrieved people thinking a reply was directed at them when it wasn't. TWTD functionality is far superior in this respect (albeit people occasionally inadvertantly reply to the wrong post, but that's just human error, rather than being a structurally built-in tech issue).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 15:02 - Jan 30 with 4470 views26_Paz

Beyond ridiculous. Unfathomably harsh on a good man who has had an incredible career. Its an overused term but this truly is political correctness gone mad. This country has some serious issues.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 15:03 - Jan 30 with 4471 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:11 - Jan 30 by BrixtonBlue

He depicted the child of a POC as a chimpanzee. But we’ve done this in great length before Dollers so rather than repeat myself have a read through this thread.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live by itfcjoe 9 May 2019 10:37
These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Your “wog box” confession was TWTD gold.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 15:11]

Iron Lion Zion

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 15:08 - Jan 30 with 4424 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 13:04 - Jan 30 by Ryorry

It was a direct response to a *white* man, but the black man who complained that it was aimed at him didn't realise that because he himself had previously contributed to the thread, his handle was then automatically included in all subsequent replies. It was a clear misunderstanding by him, and shocking incompetence by ITN in their follow-up - obviously neither of them properly understood how twitter works, but the onus is on ITN to have someone dealing with it who is actually competent in using & understanding twitter.

Has long been a problem with twitter, with many aggrieved people thinking a reply was directed at them when it wasn't. TWTD functionality is far superior in this respect (albeit people occasionally inadvertantly reply to the wrong post, but that's just human error, rather than being a structurally built-in tech issue).

Thanks for the clarification. In that case It does seem rather harsh.

Iron Lion Zion

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:01 - Jan 30 with 4332 viewsPhilTWTD

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 13:04 - Jan 30 by Ryorry

Worth adding that he resigned rather than being sacked.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:10 - Jan 30 with 4304 viewsJ2BLUE

95% of Twitter is a steaming bag of sh1te. Attention seekers, the desperate to be offended and morons all in a giant melting pot of pure A grade tw@ttery. I have no idea why anyone with a decent career bothers with it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:19 - Jan 30 with 4278 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:10 - Jan 30 by J2BLUE

95% of Twitter is a steaming bag of sh1te. Attention seekers, the desperate to be offended and morons all in a giant melting pot of pure A grade tw@ttery. I have no idea why anyone with a decent career bothers with it.

Speaking of twitter, I see the fearless campaigner Rachel Riley has got Katie Hopkins suspended from twitter for spreading hate.

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/katie-hopkins-suspended-from-twitter-after-

Iron Lion Zion

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:20 - Jan 30 with 4274 viewsHARRY10

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 12:09 - Jan 30 by chicoazul

But we're all apes.

....................... but some are more ape than others
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:55 - Jan 30 with 4223 viewsronnyd

I believe that Stewart was the original presenter of Police, Camera,Action. Then sacked after being caught drink driving.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 17:11 - Jan 30 with 4180 viewsJakeITFC

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 15:03 - Jan 30 by GlasgowBlue

He depicted the child of a POC as a chimpanzee. But we’ve done this in great length before Dollers so rather than repeat myself have a read through this thread.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live by itfcjoe 9 May 2019 10:37
These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Your “wog box” confession was TWTD gold.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 15:11]

That thread remains as confusing now as it did at the time.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:19 - Jan 30 with 4077 viewsTrequartista

The details of this are not one hundred percent clear here, so i reserve the right to change my mind, but it appears that a seemingly good and well-meaning person has lost his job after 40 years because of our obsession with woke.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:25 - Jan 30 with 4050 viewsvapour_trail

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:19 - Jan 30 by Trequartista

The details of this are not one hundred percent clear here, so i reserve the right to change my mind, but it appears that a seemingly good and well-meaning person has lost his job after 40 years because of our obsession with woke.

Yes same here, on the surface it looks mighty unfair, albeit he resigned.

As an aside, I do think anyone chucking the term ‘woke’ about, to be essentially a bit of a *^%#.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:31 - Jan 30 with 4037 viewsTrequartista

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:25 - Jan 30 by vapour_trail

Yes same here, on the surface it looks mighty unfair, albeit he resigned.

As an aside, I do think anyone chucking the term ‘woke’ about, to be essentially a bit of a *^%#.

I would imagine it's a bit like mutual consent, if he hadn't resigned they would have sacked him.

Happy to use another term if it describes the same thing. I don't like using "pc gone mad" so i thought that would be better.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:32 - Jan 30 with 4028 viewsvapour_trail

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:31 - Jan 30 by Trequartista

I would imagine it's a bit like mutual consent, if he hadn't resigned they would have sacked him.

Happy to use another term if it describes the same thing. I don't like using "pc gone mad" so i thought that would be better.

Same difference. If you think that way...

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:40 - Jan 30 with 3972 viewsGirthyguy

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 16:10 - Jan 30 by J2BLUE

Snowflake generation.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:50 - Jan 30 with 3942 viewsTerra_Farma

Another 100 pager here GB.....

It think it's pitiful. What has the world come to?

We will soon live in a world where you can't say anything just in case your guilty of offending someone.

Yes, there are narrow minded prickz that will always be racists and proud of it, these people are vermin.

What jars me off more than these vermin racists, are the lefties that are almost becoming a dictatorship.
Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:51 - Jan 30 with 3931 viewsvapour_trail

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:50 - Jan 30 by Terra_Farma

Another 100 pager here GB.....

It think it's pitiful. What has the world come to?

We will soon live in a world where you can't say anything just in case your guilty of offending someone.

Yes, there are narrow minded prickz that will always be racists and proud of it, these people are vermin.

What jars me off more than these vermin racists, are the lefties that are almost becoming a dictatorship.

El Tel.

Telling it like it is.

Good to have you back brother.

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:52 - Jan 30 with 3925 viewsvapour_trail

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:40 - Jan 30 by Girthyguy

Snowflake generation.

Which generation is that, girthmeister?

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 20:09 - Jan 30 with 3882 viewsTerra_Farma

Have we discussed Alastair Stewart? on 19:51 - Jan 30 by vapour_trail

El Tel.

Telling it like it is.

Good to have you back brother.

You too sweet cheeks
x
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024